Bills will misuse Dareus

I think Sapp has a big ego, but concerned that Dareus might be better than he was?? Come on man. Talking about him an an analyst is one thing, but the man is one of the best 3-5 defensive tackles to ever play. If Dareus is even considered in the same sentence as Sapp after a couple of years then we are doing very well!

Keep in mind that Sapp is LARGELY biased about moving big men to the 5 technique since that almost ruined his career while he was in Oakland. He wasnt able to do it, therefore no one can.

However, Sapp was always only a 3-tech guy. Never played any other position until he landed in Oakland.

Dareus has proven he can play 5-tech, 3-tech, 0-tech, whatever.

Part of me thinks, while Sapp may be a big Dareus fan, he doesnt want to admit that the kid might be better than he was...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't he play 5-tech. in ALA 34 with Nick Saban? Looks like Dukes and Sapp forgot that.

yes. he played the 5 tech. i dont know what these guys were thinking. also, not sure why they think the bills will mis use him. the bills really mis-used kyle williams though undersized right?

bashing-the-bills might be good for ratings, but who knows.

I think Sapp has a big ego, but concerned that Dareus might be better than he was?? Come on man. Talking about him an an analyst is one thing, but the man is one of the best 3-5 defensive tackles to ever play. If Dareus is even considered in the same sentence as Sapp after a couple of years then we are doing very well!

I was just throwing that comment out there. I dont think Sapp is really worried. I agree Sapp is top 5 all time as well.

Here's my prediction. A lot of a-holes are going to make a lot of predictions that end up being way off. Eff 'em all. Go Bills!

:thumbsup:

Sapp's no fool, not when it comes to talking about defensive linemen, at least. And he's a huge Dareus fan. Based on what you've posted, all he's saying is that Dareus' talents won't be maximized putting him head up on a tackle and telling him to hold his ground.

He went through that himself when he was with Oakland and they switched to a 3-4 for a year. He's not a fan of using penetrating D-linemen as 5 techs. As he's pointed out on numerous occasions, how many 5 techs have more than 10 sacks per year?

I think there are a number of arguments that can be made, especially in run defense, where Dareus will go a long way towards holding up one side of the line. And they're right, Dareus' speed-strength combo lends him to succeeding anywhere along the DL.

But pairing him on the inside with Kyle Williams, if they decide to do so, could really cause problems on an interior OL. If Dareus is as good as I think he is, they could be the best DT tandem we've had since Pat Williams-Sam Adams, and quite possibly surpass them. But you have to use them correctly.

At least at times, put them together, force an OL to double team one and leave the other with a single blocker. Good things will happen.

All Sapp really seems to be saying is, don't waste the guys talent just holding the line.

Or as Keith Jackson would say, "you have to let the big dog hunt."

well stated :thumbsup:

The 3-4 at this point really makes no sense to me considering the Bills have more talented linemen then LB's... give wannstache the nod and let him do his thing!