Brad Smith...Update...signs with Buffalo

I don't think he is the Number 3 QB. WIth Chan's system and how he moves QBs, I think he'll have 3 true QBs dressed at every game. Levi, Thigpen and Fitz. Smith will be a #4 or #5 WR for this team. He'll be one of two deep guys on KO Returns and possibly one of two deep guys on PRs with Roscoe. Think about the reverse/throwback packages teams will have to account for with him and CJ or him and Roscoe on returns. It will absolutely make our Return game that much better. I say we get 4 kick or punt return TDs this year. We'll keep 6 WRs: Evans, Johnson, Roscoe, Smith, Nelson, and Jones or Easley. I think Jones will be the odd man out with Naaman, unfortunately. Smith makes us better because he is dynamic in many areas of the game. Its a really good signing. Offensive success in the NFL is driven by exceptional QBs, but on teams without Brady or a Manning, it comes from creating favorable matchups. CJ, Smith, Parrish, Evans, Johnson, Easley, and Nelson can do it if they're put in the right positions. I like what we have going on here on the offensive side of the ball.

I think you're on the money. Also, no question there will be a wildcat option. Because of Smith's versatility, any time he's on the field there will be confusion and hesitation in the defenders minds, which is a great advantage for an offense. He is a genuine "freak" who's good at all he does. Keep in mind that one of the key things about Gailey is that he tailors the game plans to the players he has rather than forcing a preconceived "system" on them. Chan must be jumping up and down thinking about what he can do with him. This has the potential to be a tremendous addition.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he is the Number 3 QB. WIth Chan's system and how he moves QBs, I think he'll have 3 true QBs dressed at every game. Levi, Thigpen and Fitz. Smith will be a #4 or #5 WR for this team. He'll be one of two deep guys on KO Returns and possibly one of two deep guys on PRs with Roscoe. Think about the reverse/throwback packages teams will have to account for with him and CJ or him and Roscoe on returns. It will absolutely make our Return game that much better. I say we get 4 kick or punt return TDs this year. We'll keep 6 WRs: Evans, Johnson, Roscoe, Smith, Nelson, and Jones or Easley. I think Jones will be the odd man out with Naaman, unfortunately. Smith makes us better because he is dynamic in many areas of the game. Its a really good signing. Offensive success in the NFL is driven by exceptional QBs, but on teams without Brady or a Manning, it comes from creating favorable matchups. CJ, Smith, Parrish, Evans, Johnson, Easley, and Nelson can do it if they're put in the right positions. I like what we have going on here on the offensive side of the ball.

Did they do this much last year? I don't remember many games where all 3 QB's were dressed on game days

Also, this is a different situation then in years past where you couldn't swap in your #3 QB for a few plays then put your starter back in. I can't see them dressing a #3 QB whos job will mostly consist of fetching Thigpen and Fitz their water and help Thigpen hold his clipboard.

Did they do this much last year? I don't remember many games where all 3 QB's were dressed on game days

Also, this is a different situation then in years past where you couldn't swap in your #3 QB for a few plays then put your starter back in. I can't see them dressing a #3 QB whos job will mostly consist of fetching Thigpen and Fitz their water and help Thigpen hold his clipboard.

They did it every game. Edwards, Fitz Brohm then Fitz Brohm Brown. Every single game. The only reason Brown didn't make the team out of camp was because Trent was a good practice player. The new coaches needed to see Trent in more live action. Brown was told that he'd be back if anything went wrong.

Regardless of his job on game day, the last thing you want to happen, like it did to the Bills two seasons ago, is have your top two QBs go down in the same game. Remember when Fitz started, sprained an ankle, Edwards came in an Sprained an Ankle and then Fitz went back in? Brohm started the next week in ATL. Chan move his QBs around. Brad Smith was NOT brought in to be the 3rd QB. No way. He was brought in to be a play maker. He'll be a play maker. He will never be listed as the team's 3rd QB.

This is the game plan for Brad Smith. Take the snap from center, hand off to himself, throw a flea flicker to the slot receiver whose name is Brad Smith, does the hook and lateral to himself completely to the far side of the field, all while blocking and running decoy routes for himself, all while doing his own play by play. Not to mention that when he finally gets to the end zone he hands the ball to a fan in the stands and that will be him too.

Let's just clone the guy and have a team of Brad Smiths.

:wallbash:

Gung ho is nice people, but he's the back-up whatever wherever. Not good enough to start any where.

:P

All I know is in the past 5 years, the Jets have had 2 guys that worried me on offense: Leon Washington and Brad Smith. Looking forward to Smith in the wildcat with Spiller.

Forget the wildcat (come on!).

Let him return every kick and punt. Spiller wasn't of much use, McKelvin is so-so, Roscoe fair catches a lot of punts now. Smith WANTS to run back kicks and he's hard to bring down.

Forget the wildcat (come on!).

Let him return every kick and punt. Spiller wasn't of much use, McKelvin is so-so, Roscoe fair catches a lot of punts now. Smith WANTS to run back kicks and he's hard to bring down.

Brad Smith is a KR, not a PR. Some players in the NFL are KR and not PR like him. Some are PR and not KR like Roscoe. Some are both, like Spiller and McLovin'. But they are very different skills. Brad Smith has returned two punts in his entire career. Sure, he probably thinks he could do it. Sure, the Bills used Roscoe back on KR before but he's not really one, or a really good one. Smith actually rushes the punter more than he returns punts.

What will Brad Smith's role be with the Bills?

Well for one thing in 5 NFL seasons, Smith has returned 2 punts so I disagree with you on that… I don't believe that the Bills will want him to return punts.

We all know he will return kickofffs and as I posted before, I believe that the Bills will pair him with one of their other dangerous (yes, double entendre) kick returners and that their opponents will have a bit of a problem figuring out what to do on kickoffs.

I also don't think that the Bills will dress 3 QBs AND Brad Smith on game day.

The likelihood of your first two QBs getting injured in the same game is mathematically very remote. I do believe that Smith will be the 3rd QB on game days (they MIGHT keep another QB on the roster for practice/development, IMO).

And yes, Smith is a quarterback. At Missouri he attempted nearly 1500 passes in his career. He threw for 56 TDs vs 33 Ints and had a career passer rating of 114.10.

Based on the above I just don't see Levi Brown suiting up on game day.

Smith has the chance to be the best wildcat QB in the league because unlike most other wildcat QBs, Smith can actually throw the ball (the demise of the wildcat is due to the fact that very few wildcat "QBs" can actually throw the ball). Smith on the other hand has been a quarterback most of his football career.

I believe that the Bills took advantage of the new QB/roster rules and will use Smith 6-7 plays per game from scrimmage and I think that'll be very concerning to our opponents.

Smith has averaged almost 8 yards per carry in the NFL (as I mentioned earlier, he's had more carries than receptions in the NFL) and coupled with the fact that he's a good passer, he will be a very difficult player to defense.

So I believe this is Smith's role… (he's been listed as a receiver but I believe) he will play wildcat quarterback, occasionally be lined up in the backfield behind Fitz as a running back (remember he's 6'1" 220 pounds and runs a 4.46 forty… Smith IS virtually a running back), and catch a few passes (although I don't think his addition will affect the Bills WR depth chart at all), and regularly return kickoffs.

What will Brad Smith's role be with the Bills?

Well for one thing in 5 NFL seasons, Smith has returned 2 punts so I disagree with you on that… I don't believe that the Bills will want him to return punts.

We all know he will return kickofffs and as I posted before, I believe that the Bills will pair him with one of their other dangerous (yes, double entendre) kick returners and that their opponents will have a bit of a problem figuring out what to do on kickoffs.

I also don't think that the Bills will dress 3 QBs AND Brad Smith on game day.

The likelihood of your first two QBs getting injured in the same game is mathematically very remote. I do believe that Smith will be the 3rd QB on game days (they MIGHT keep another QB on the roster for practice/development, IMO).

And yes, Smith is a quarterback. At Missouri he attempted nearly 1500 passes in his career. He threw for 56 TDs vs 33 Ints and had a career passer rating of 114.10.

Based on the above I just don't see Levi Brown suiting up on game day.

Smith has the chance to be the best wildcat QB in the league because unlike most other wildcat QBs, Smith can actually throw the ball (the demise of the wildcat is due to the fact that very few wildcat "QBs" can actually throw the ball). Smith on the other hand has been a quarterback most of his football career.

I believe that the Bills took advantage of the new QB/roster rules and will use Smith 6-7 plays per game from scrimmage and I think that'll be very concerning to our opponents.

Smith has averaged almost 8 yards per carry in the NFL (as I mentioned earlier, he's had more carries than receptions in the NFL) and coupled with the fact that he's a good passer, he will be a very difficult player to defense.

So I believe this is Smith's role… (he's been listed as a receiver but I believe) he will play wildcat quarterback, occasionally be lined up in the backfield behind Fitz as a running back (remember he's 6'1" 220 pounds and runs a 4.46 forty… Smith IS virtually a running back), and catch a few passes (although I don't think his addition will affect the Bills WR depth chart at all), and regularly return kickoffs.

Nice analysis, B. I think a lot of people who initially complained about this signing will be singing a different tune this season.

All I know is in the past 5 years, the Jets have had 2 guys that worried me on offense: Leon Washington and Brad Smith. Looking forward to Smith in the wildcat with Spiller.

Yes, but they played behind a solid OL. I know how much you believe in the Jauron philosophy, but reality tells us that an OL is actually a good thing.

The free agency period is not over, but as we speak we retained a cornerback and signed a situational player. This mentality, as dear as you seem to hold it, has resulted in the Bills losing football games.

I am glad that you are pumped about the way things are going. I almost envy this frame of mind but I'm unable to look at idiocy and praise it.

Edited by Bill from NYC