Who won the Labor Dispute ?

ganesh

The Owners and Players found a creative way to make each other happy with the new proposal, something they could have done long ago by sitting across the table like Gentlemen, something they did in the end anyways...

The real winner of this dispute are the Lawyers...They made millions of dollars in forcing players to file lawsuits against the NFL and the NFL filing counter motions to lockout the players. At the end of the day, everyone knew in March each others move and still they went ahead with it and filing all those motions in Minnesota. Those millions of dollars could have been saved and put in the fund for former retired NFL players who are suffering. Instead it went to the rich and greedy lawyers...

Shame on the NFL...Shame on the players...for letting such a thing happen.

As Goddell said right from day one...Labor peace will only be achieved by sitting across the table and negotiating, not in the courts of Minnesota...Unfortunately, greed blinded these folks...

The fans are the big winners of course.... because the fans were the big concern of both sides throughout the negotiations.

Ticket prices dropped 20%, Season ticket holders no longer need to pay full price for those pre-season exhibitions, PSLs are outlawed, parking cap is $10, drinks are only $3, blackouts are lifted, you don't need to pay for the NFL channel to see Thursday night games......Honey, wake up. It's time to go to work. :rolleyes:

Edited by K-No

Lawyers are a necessary evil.

Complaining about them is like complaining about bad weather.

This is the most successful example of collective bargaining in pro sports that I can remember.

Both sides did well and even fans with some perspective lost nothing but one football game.

Everyone won. The league and players got a new 10 year deal and fans don't have to worry about labor disputes interrupting games for a long time.

I honestly don't understand all the hand wringing over this lockout, all the 'shame on them' and 'millionaires and billionaires' whining. They were negotiating a business deal --- so what? What exactly did we 'miss out' on over the last four months?

Endless speculation about Donte Whitner and Brett Favre? Idiots starting "Why isn't the FO doing anything!!!!!11" threads? Really, what did we miss?

It is clear I think in the big picture that unless what the NFL and the NFLPA have as their goal for existing to fight each other, that anyone NOT having a dispute is a winner in this one.

The question itself of which side won is a step back in many ways. Neither side was winning when they were fighting (unless they are in the Charlie Sheen school of how to do good work).

My sense in terms of what they got out out of this:

In the big picture, what specifically they were after was to squeeze a few more dollars out of the last CBA deal which essentially was forced down their throats. I do not think ts problematic for most outside observers that this happened. For years the owners had simply beaten up the players in terms of dividing the receipts from NFL activities.

Things changed after the late 80s labor dispute where the owners so effectively kicked the tail of the old AFL-CIO style NFLPA that a talented tenth of players (led by Gene Upshaw) won by surrendering and threatening to decertify the MFLPA as a bargaining agent. In the US system no one can be king and run everything. The NFL team owners were forced to choose between having an actual free market or instead have a system based on a social compact and agreement with the NFLPA. They ran kicking and screaming away from a free market.

In the last CBA, when Upshaw publicly dictated that the settlement would be based on the salary cap coming from A:: NFL receipts and not from a designated gross and that the players take would need to start with a 6, he cut a deal where the players not only were clearly partners rather than simply workers, but actually majority partners.

In the new deal the team owners are restored as majority partners, but it is clear their is a partnership between players and owners

The Owners and Players found a creative way to make each other happy with the new proposal, something they could have done long ago by sitting across the table like Gentlemen, something they did in the end anyways...

The real winner of this dispute are the Lawyers...They made millions of dollars in forcing players to file lawsuits against the NFL and the NFL filing counter motions to lockout the players. At the end of the day, everyone knew in March each others move and still they went ahead with it and filing all those motions in Minnesota. Those millions of dollars could have been saved and put in the fund for former retired NFL players who are suffering. Instead it went to the rich and greedy lawyers...

Shame on the NFL...Shame on the players...for letting such a thing happen.

As Goddell said right from day one...Labor peace will only be achieved by sitting across the table and negotiating, not in the courts of Minnesota...Unfortunately, greed blinded these folks...

Lawyers are a necessary evil.

Complaining about them is like complaining about bad weather.

This is the most successful example of collective bargaining in pro sports that I can remember.

Both sides did well and even fans with some perspective lost nothing but one football game.

One could conclude that the leverage generated in litigation on both sides was a factor in the two sides finally reaching an agreement. The players won the case on the lockout insurance and the league was doing well on the injunction. When one side has all the leverage, they don't compromise because they don't have to. Mutual assured destruction is a heckuva motivator.

One could conclude that the leverage generated in litigation on both sides was a factor in the two sides finally reaching an agreement. The players won the case on the lockout insurance and the league was doing well on the injunction. When one side has all the leverage, they don't compromise because they don't have to. Mutual assured destruction is a heckuva motivator.

What I meant was that the sequence of events starting from January was known to both the players and owners and yet they went ahead with it knowing very well that eventually they will be meeting halfway across the table to handshake and walk away with their deals. It didn't make sense for them to actually do those things and taking things to the courts when they very well knew the courts would not solve their problems nor they were willing to wait for the courts and lose 1B that they hadn't figured out how to share, by not having the games.

The one positive is that besides the lawyers getting money, the NFL also generated some needed revenues for the Hotels and Airplanes in Minnesota, Washington DC, St. Louis, Chicago, Atlanta and New York by having secret meetings and increasing the media frenzy!

Everyone won. The league and players got a new 10 year deal and fans don't have to worry about labor disputes interrupting games for a long time.

I honestly don't understand all the hand wringing over this lockout, all the 'shame on them' and 'millionaires and billionaires' whining. They were negotiating a business deal --- so what? What exactly did we 'miss out' on over the last four months?

Endless speculation about Donte Whitner and Brett Favre? Idiots starting "Why isn't the FO doing anything!!!!!11" threads? Really, what did we miss?

This is a great point. The endless pontificating about workers and owners and greed etc., when it was absolutley inevitable that a deal would be made before a game was missed. Some crazy stuff.

This was one of my favorites (author redacted):

The new owners led by Jones, Snyder, Richardson and Kraft are nothing but a bunch of ignorant BSDs. (Big swinging d***s). Well, the lady Judge that grew up in Buffalo, is shoving their BSDs right up their tight ends and they gotta be screaming. The owners screwed up the last CBA and cried for years afterwards (even after Ralph told them they had no idea what they were doing). When this is over they will wish they had the last CBA back. They have screwed up this labor negotiation so bad the league could be in a free fall come Monday. I hope so, screw them and their $10 16oz swill of warm watered down p!ss. I hope she voids this stupid draft.

Roger Goodell, who may be a nice guy, but now looks like he is simply a tool that the owners have left alone on a ledge. He is about to take one big fall. He reminds me of Colin Powell selling the Iraq War at the UN armed with nothing but false information. And where is Colin today? A washed up has been that nobody can trust because he was proved a liar on the world stage. Roger should quit right now and let the owners stand front and center and take the heat for the calamity that is about to ensue. F all of them.

Everything in that post was wrong.

A little guy stands up in a bar and shouts, ah, all laywers are A-holes. A big burly guy quickly stands up and

blurts, hey, I resent that remark, to which the little guy responds with, what are you some kind of an attorney or something? the big guy responds with, no I am an A-hole.

Be here all week!

Most of the players got a paid vacation at a time when many grumble about being in camp and often sit out; some will be getting raises as part of deal. The only ones really hurt were first round picks in top 10 or so who will not be given humongous starting bonuses being paid more than people with many years experience and UDFAs who may not be given time to show what they can do.

A little guy stands up in a bar and shouts, ah, all laywers are A-holes. A big burly guy quickly stands up and

blurts, hey, I resent that remark, to which the little guy responds with, what are you some kind of an attorney or something? the big guy responds with, no I am an A-hole.

Be here all week!

Someone else who spells it 'laywers' since you get screwed by lawyers.