Poz signs with Jax, 6 years $7.5M/year reported

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from his agent (typo corrected since ProFootballWeekly has no decent editors):

"I have so much respect for the Buffalo organization," Posluszny's agent, Mike McCartney, told the
Buffalo News
. "They did everything the could to keep him. … But he felt more comfortable in a 4-3 defense. He felt he came into the league playing the Mike in the 4-3. I want to emphasize how much respect I have for Jim Overdorf and the Bills. It was a tough decision."

Bills were out of luck in this case since he wanted to go back to 4-3 defense which he felt more comfort in and probably felt he would have better career in.

Thanks Glenn. The Bills should have stayed in a 4-3 but we have a DC George Edwards that doesn't have a clue on how to run it. This was Chan's call; the 'ol coaching buddy-buddy system at its worst and Nix would never tell Gailey (again the good 'ol boy coaching network) who to hire. Ralph Wilson might have questioned in his younger days the hiring of a DC that planned revamping a defense with so few players onboard that could play in it. That will never happen again as RW's mind now is one degree this side of mush and that's sad both for Mr. Wilson and the Bills team. The Bills are left with 2 non-football types (a lawyer and a former marketing guy) calling all the shots. Nix answers to them and one of the biggest con games out there is the perception that Buddy Nix can go after this or that player without asking pretty please first. None of these guys would last one hour under different ownership !!!

We are letting our best ILB go on a team that has little at the spot.

Well, look at it this way. The Bills were last in the league in run defense with him. How bad will they be without him? I don't think it was a significant loss. He was average in too many areas. You need a guy who can make impact plays and he didn't make them.

It's no accident they drafted a couple ILB's. The five year rebuilding plan is only in year two.

Same here. I'm actually surprised he left. Oh well. Same old shi--y Bills.

I'm not surprised he went to a 4-3 team - POZ is not a great fit for a 3-4 team in the first place if you add a non-traditional NT who penetrates instead of tying up multiple blockers it's even worse- POZ is simply not built to take on 310lb guards and centers shooting out at him all the time.

Apparently Nix matched the deal and he still walked.

Maybe Poz saw that the Bills were not spending in the free agent market again to bring in any help so he just walked.

You know, like lots of our fans over the past 15 years.

Ralph, can you show us a sign that you care about winning? Small sign? Post-it note? :bag:

If it's true about same $ / terms & he left, that makes him a liar for saying that he wants to stay on the surface. One factor for him is that FL has no state income tax & that would most likely save him ~$3 Million versus NY tax, if he plays out his contract.

Well, I was away from my keyboard last night and unable to join in these festivities. Suffice it to say I'm surprised Jacksonville is the destination. They seem to be an organization struggling in a lot of areas, although I guess drafting Gabbert has their 5 or 6 fans excited.

If we are to believe reports the Bills were willing to match the Jags' offer, then clearly it comes down to the realization that Poz simply wants to play exclusively in a 4-3 and believes that's where he'll have the most success. And if that's the case, then who can blame him? We can bash Nix/Gailey for cramming a 3-4 down our throats without the personnel, but at least they have a plan and are trying to stick with it. I wanted to keep Poz because I don't see much proven talent on the roster at ILB and he has been a very solid if unspectacular performer. I don't think he deserves to be paid in the top ten at his position.

What I DON'T believe, is that this is any indication players don't want to be in Buffalo, as some have suggested. Particularly not with the staff the Bills have in place. There are some very "public" players on this roster (Merriman, Stevie J.) and they wave the Bills' flag with gusto.

I won't give Poz another thought -- good luck in Florida. Now let's see what Buffalo's Plan B is.

A note about Poz - his weakness is pass coverage, and he'll be playing against the Colts and Texans twice a year, and covering Chris Johnson out of the backfield two more times. And, name a defensive lineman on the Jags. I know Alahu is good, but he is a penetrator. I don't see hogs up front to tie up blockers for him. Just don't think the Jags are a great fit for his career.