Owners tried to slip things by the players

Scrappy

I agree that it is contradictory for the players to claim both that they have not read what the owners voted on but they detected things slipped in.

However, it seems just as silly to have the owners demanding that the players vote to ratify a CBA now when one of their prime complaints about the last one was folks like Mr. Ealph claiming he did not have the time to read it. If these complex issues demand a re-opener that the owners had to exercise because the previous non-read agreement was so bad that now the new agreement must be ratified by 32 guys who were not in on the actual negotiation.

The players are giving silly reasons for not signing the deal. Yet, the first move was that it was silly for the NFL to call for ratification last night when the NFL made a deal they consider so bad for the specifically stated reason from Ralph that there was no time to understand the document.

This also is stupid.

As a fan I blame both sides. In terms of solutions, I wish the players had shown the same level of cajones they showed when they first threatened to decert. In the big picture, the team owners really provide little to the game that can not be replaced from other sources.

As far as I know, all the owners asked the players to do was sign it and ratify the union by next Tuesday. There was no Thursday deadline for the players to vote.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As GG said, how exactly can the players accuse the owners of slipping things in, and then turn around and claim they hadn't seen it?

As Doc said, they are butt hurt because the owners passed the CBA first, thus making the players look bad. The owners made a nice and smart PR move, and the players are simply mad about it.

DeMaurice Smith's yappin' his flap and the stupid players are still buying it.

He spent much of the last two weeks swapping spit with Goodell and now he's telling his players, 'What the fug! I didn't know they put THAT in there.'

That guy can't get off the TV and crawl back under a rock fast enough for my liking.

DeMaurice Smith's yappin' his flap and the stupid players are still buying it.

He spent much of the last two weeks swapping spit with Goodell and now he's telling his players, 'What the fug! I didn't know they put THAT in there.'

That guy can't get off the TV and crawl back under a rock fast enough for my liking.

You're preaching to the choir. His asshattery and douchebaggery are why this mess has dragged on so long, and he's the most likely reason why we ended up here in the first place. Sooner the players will realize that they have been following the advice of an idiot out for only himself, NOT the players best interests.

Here's what I said: "The owners aren't faultless, but the players deserve a boatload of blame for putting their trust in a bunch of incompetent morons."

I stand by that. Has anyone here actually negotiated a contract before? That is the way it works. Why would the owners add bad stuff to a contract knowing the players would read it, spaz out, crap their pants, and whine like babies? They wouldn't. What was added was most likely stuff that is insignificant in terms of the agreed deal but required minutiae, but the players probably don't understand that and freak out because there's stuff in there they haven't seen.

Here's what should have happened: The NFLPA lawyers read the stuff, and calmly explain to the players what it is and the impact. Instead, the lawyers have a knee-jerk reaction saying the agreement isn't legal. That causes players to freak out because they likely haven't read it. Remember, these are the same lawyers that Smith ordered to "Stand down" because how destructive they were to the process.

So yeah, believe what you want.

I don't and haven't really taken sides in this dispute. It's a business deal and pragmatism should rule over emotion. Whatever will be will be.

Emotion only gets in the way… Jerry Richardson's blustering admonishment to the players (he later apologized) is an early example. Some of the reaction by the player reps over the last day is are the latest examples.

Emotion is a detriment in this situation (and I include fans in this as well) but it's also understandable because of the nation's addiction to NFL football.

Tactically, I wouldn't object to anything either of the sides has done during this labor impasse.

From a PR standpoint, the players have messed up the end game a bit. Like GG suggests it would have been so simple for D Smith to simply release a statement or say something like this:

"We want to thank the owners for ratifying the agreement which we received from them just hours ago, late this afternoon (Thursday).

Due to its length (it's over 200 pages), and the need for us to re-examine it and communicate the substance of it to our player reps and the 1900 members of our rank and file, there is unfortunately no realistic chance that we'll be able to vote on it over this weekend.

We understand the anxiety and frustration that many are feeling but it would be reckless, careless, and damaging for the players association to rush into a vote before taking the appropriate amount of time to study and disseminate the terms to the players. We are cognizant of the fact that all sides, owners, players, and fans, have reached the point where we are losing games so we are fully aware of the urgency of this matter.

A realistic time frame for voting on the proposal would be early next week. We wish that it would be sooner but this was a process which began months ago and both sides are responsible for the current status of negotiations.

Thank you and the NFL players would like to wish you and your families a safe and happy weekend."

End of problem.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I don't and haven't really taken sides in this dispute. It's a business deal and pragmatism should rule over emotion. Whatever will be will be.

Emotion only gets in the way… Jerry Richardson's blustering admonishment to the players (he later apologized) is an early example. Some of the reaction by the player reps over the last day is are the latest examples.

Emotion is a detriment in this situation (and I include fans in this as well) but it's also understandable because of the nation's addiction to NFL football.

Tactically, I wouldn't object to anything either of the sides has done during this labor impasse.

From a PR standpoint, the players have messed up the end game a bit. Like GG suggests it would have been so simple for D Smith to simply release a statement or say something like this:

"We want to thank the owners for ratifying the agreement which we received from them just hours ago, late this afternoon (Thursday).

Due to its length (it's over 200 pages), and the need for us to re-examine it and communicate the substance of it to our player reps and the 1900 members of our rank and file, there is unfortunately no realistic chance that we'll be able to vote on it over this weekend.

We understand the anxiety and frustration that many are feeling but it would be reckless, careless, and damaging for the players association to rush into a vote before taking the appropriate amount of time to study and disseminate the terms to the players. We are cognizant of the fact that all sides, owners, players, and fans, have reached the point where we are losing games so we are fully aware of the urgency of this matter.

A realistic time frame for voting on the proposal would be early next week. We wish that it would be sooner but this was a process which began months ago and both sides are responsible for the current status of negotiations.

Thank you and the NFL players would like to wish you and your families a safe and happy weekend."

End of problem.

Monday until the next issue pops up, so there you go.

Something definitely smells fishy from the players side here. It doesn't add up. They went running around in a media blitz yelling like a drunk. Why would the guy herding the players not release a calm, collected statement? Why would he not relay that to the players? Why did *all* of the players who were talking mention the 'slipped in' line?

Something definitely smells fishy from the players side here. It doesn't add up. They went running around in a media blitz yelling like a drunk. Why would the guy herding the players not release a calm, collected statement? Why would he not relay that to the players? Why did *all* of the players who were talking mention the 'slipped in' line?

George Wilson did not mention the "slipped in" line, and he was on the conference call.

jw

As far as I know, all the owners asked the players to do was sign it and ratify the union by next Tuesday. There was no Thursday deadline for the players to vote.

Correct. While the NFLPA* may have been put off by the NFL's pr extravaganza last night, there was nothing from the owners side that even suggested an immediate ratification by Thursday. If anything, if I understand correctly, wouldn't the owners proposal allow players back into the facilities by Saturday even if the vote wouldn't have been scheduled 'til Tuesday :)

How on earth did George Wilson end up as the Bills player rep?

Travis Henry & Willis McGahee were traded.

With all due respect, WTF are you talking about? Seriously. I have absolutely no idea.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't get his posts, either. Severely disjointed thought. Maybe a troll or something worse.

You're preaching to the choir. His asshattery and douchebaggery are why this mess has dragged on so long, and he's the most likely reason why we ended up here in the first place. Sooner the players will realize that they have been following the advice of an idiot out for only himself, NOT the players best interests.

Word.

Or as Deep Voice says, "YEAH."

Correct. While the NFLPA* may have been put off by the NFL's pr extravaganza last night, there was nothing from the owners side that even suggested an immediate ratification by Thursday. If anything, if I understand correctly, wouldn't the owners proposal allow players back into the facilities by Saturday even if the vote wouldn't have been scheduled 'til Tuesday :)

not entirely correct, as I had the same question this morning. however, the NFL eventually released a statement that read:

"The NFL announced that players can begin voluntary workouts at club facilities on July 23 if the NFLPA Executive Board approves the settlement terms. Following the reconstitution of the NFLPA as a union and approval of the new CBA by the NFLPA membership, the League year and free agency signings will start at 2:00 p.m. ET on July 27 and training camps for all teams will open on July 27."

the underlined/bolded portion clearly puts the onus on the players executive board to approve the terms.

jw

How on earth did George Wilson end up as the Bills player rep?

Because he is smart and has the respect of the players. I think Wilson is an ideal rep, just as Troy Vincent was.

Everything I have ever read or heard from him indicates that he is an incredibly smart, hard working, respected, selfless, team player. He is the absolute perfect candidate.

Then you didn't hear him ranting on ESPN last night. It's like he was handed a talking points sheet and just kept repeating the same answers to every question.

He may be several of the thinngs you say (great team mate, hard working, rspected...), but he is not a great rep for the team if that's how he's representing them.

Edited by Mr. WEO

not entirely correct, as I had the same question this morning. however, the NFL eventually released a statement that read:

"The NFL announced that players can begin voluntary workouts at club facilities on July 23 if the NFLPA Executive Board approves the settlement terms. Following the reconstitution of the NFLPA as a union and approval of the new CBA by the NFLPA membership, the League year and free agency signings will start at 2:00 p.m. ET on July 27 and training camps for all teams will open on July 27."

the underlined/bolded portion clearly puts the onus on the players executive board to approve the terms.

jw

that makes sense. Still no pressure to ratify last night. 23 is Saturday.

Everything I have ever read or heard from him indicates that he is an incredibly smart, hard working, respected, selfless, team player. He is the absolute perfect candidate.

You're right, Kelly.

George Wilson is the Fred Jackson of the defense… except not as accomplished a player by degrees.

On a totally different subject, I really disagree with you guys criticizing D Smith. I think he's flubbed a few PR things but look at it this way:

If things go as they look likely to go, the collateral damage to this impasse (which can be blamed equally on both sides), is that the Hall of Fame game was canceled.

The benefit is going to be 10 years of labor peace… a rookie wage scale which everyone here was in favor of, a reasonable plan to move forward, giving ownership some concessions on total revenue in exchange for solid clauses on the players side. The players relented and have helped make NFL team ownership attractive again and the deal allows the sport to continue to grow unabated to the quarterback… I mean unabated… with the likely promise of increased revenues for both sides.

This whole work stoppage started out acrimoniously but Smith and Goodell have worked together to make this a win-win for the NFL.

I don't see where D Smith deserves any more or less criticism than Goodell. Their fates are inextricably linked.

It's said that in a fair negotiation that both sides come away unhappy… but this negotiation looks more like both sides will come away happy.

The only criticism I can see for D Smith is if you are a staunch union supporter and you are unhappy because you think he gave up too much.

But I think history will show that he struck a fair deal that was good for the players, owners, and the NFL as an industry.

How exactly has D Smith damaged the NFL?

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

jw

Except for the two Hall of Fame game teams, which is no longer relevant, most NFL teams were not scheduled to start training camp for about a week from now. The league needs to get the contracts and free agency started, but it seems to me that getting players into offices on Saturday for voluntary workouts when they are not allowed to get pads on for over a week, was really trying to make up for lost OTAs. It was like throwing the teams a bone to help them get ready for the season because they missed earlier workouts that were not part of training camp. In other words, it would be great to get these guys in now and get going, but training camp isn't really starting for a week.

I do not know about ESPN but I did hear him on the NFL Network. Maybe he was on both, I do not know. As for the NFL Network piece, the interviewer asked him three times in three different ways about what the sticking points were from the players perspective. He answered the question each time the same way. They hadn't seen the proposal yet. Had just been presented to the union like an hour prior to the interview. Said he did not know wwhy the media outlets were saying the players would be voting that day. It didn't come from them (maybe implying it came from the ownership side to put ther pressure of fan expectations on the players.) They had never worked with a timetable and did not have one now. He came off OK, in my book as I thought the interviewer was sub par.