Owners tried to slip things by the players

Scrappy

Also from the Bflo News,

"The proposed deal also makes significant changes to the players' offseason workout schedules. This was a big issue for the players. The offseason program will be reduced by five weeks. The organized training activities (OTAs) will be cut back from 14 to 10. Last year, four teams had those workouts shut down for violations of the CBA."

And this:

"Current players would have medical coverage for life."

It looks like MY team will be worse than they were last year. They are OVER the Cap and will be losing players and with these new practice rules there is NO way they can improve.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like MY team will be worse than they were last year. They are OVER the Cap and will be losing players and with these new practice rules there is NO way they can improve.

At least you guys have some organizational continuity. Garrett's been there a long time and I don't recall that he made sweeping changes to his staff.

But yeah, there will be some player losses. Romo's gonna have to come up big.

The hardest part for your boys is that that division is so damn tough. You guys have the Eagles and Giants… the Bills have the Patsies* and the Jets.

Yeah besides what Kelly posted, the new agreement:

Only allows 1 full-pads practice each week and no more than 14 over the 17 week season. Amazing concession by management (coaches really).

The first 3 days of training camp will have ZERO full-pads practice.

There will be ZERO two-a-day workouts in training camp. They have been outlawed.

In addition to the increase in the minimum salary that Kelly pointed out, the new CBA introduces a new mechanism which makes it harder to cut older veteran players based on salary. I can't find the link for this yet but I will. In the meantime:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/24/seven-things-you-may-have-missed-in-new-cba/

"1. There won’t be hitting for the first three days of training camp this year. (That includes arrival day and two days of practices.)

5. Minimum salaries are going up $50,000, and will continue to increase. This is a huge gain for a lot of players. Almost half the league has a minimum salary."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/23/in-season-padded-practices-plummet-under-new-cba/

"The parties have agreed that, during the 17-week regular season, teams will conduct only 14 practices in pads.

Let’s repeat that. During the 17-week regular season, teams will have a maximum of only 14 padded practices."

It also looks like the players are going to get 5 straight, uninterrupted days off during their bye week.

In view of these details, it looks like D. Smith has done MORE for the working conditions of the players than any union head in NFLPA history.

I hadn't been aware of the information you and Kelly pointed out. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. This significantly and positively influences my opinion of Demaurice Smith. I still don't agree with a lot of what comes out of his mouth, but at least he hasn't been the one-dimensional negotiator, who's focused on the salary cap to the exclusion of all else, that I'd thought he was.

I hadn't been aware of the information you and Kelly pointed out. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. This significantly and positively influences my opinion of Demaurice Smith. I still don't agree with a lot of what comes out of his mouth, but at least he hasn't been the one-dimensional negotiator, who's focused on the salary cap to the exclusion of all else, that I'd thought he was.

When your splitting up Billions & your earnings go up yearly, it's pretty easy to improve conditions for all the players.

When your splitting up Billions & your earnings go up yearly, it's pretty easy to improve conditions for all the players.

Well, lots of people were criticizing D. Smith and as it turns out, he got a great deal for the players in exchange for giving some revenue back to the owners.

In addition:

The owners are ensured the profitability of the league and worthwhileness of owning a franchise.

The players get greatly enhanced working conditions and long term benefits (including health insurance for their lifetime).

And only one preseason game was sacrificed.

I would say D. Smith did a great job… for the players and for the league.

Well, lots of people were criticizing D. Smith and as it turns out, he got a great deal for the players in exchange for giving some revenue back to the owners.

In addition:

The owners are ensured the profitability of the league and worthwhileness of owning a franchise.

The players get greatly enhanced working conditions and long term benefits (including health insurance for their lifetime).

And only one preseason game was sacrificed.

I would say D. Smith did a great job… for the players and for the league.

All made possible by huge income & growth, which has 0 to do with D.Smith.

All made possible by huge income & growth, which has 0 to do with D.Smith.

Disagree.

I'm very impressed with the exact nature of the concessions that D. Smith bargained for.

The union values that are reflected in the new CBA are exemplary…. EXACTLY the kind of items that a union should be fighting for to enhance working conditions for its members.