Deal in the works?

Quoting from the article:

As one NFL owner said this weekend, there's "no reason to believe it won't get done."

Other people familiar with the talks now think an agreement in principle will be put in place in the next seven to 10 days, a handshake deal that would allow each side to ratify the deal to start the 2011 season.

However, one member of the players' negotiating team who has been a constant presence at the table said that players feel they have made significant concessions and overtures "that have not been reciprocated."

He stated that negotiations Wednesday and Thursday will be the most telling days on whether an agreement indeed will be finalized within the July 21 time frame because "we've basically reached the limits of compromise."

Mort & Schefter have their bases covered. If the deal gets done, they can claim credit for reporting it first. If it doesn't get done, they can claim credit for reporting it first.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Hmmm...let's see...

2011 'League Season' will begin on July 28th; Bills training camp scheduled to open at SJF on July 29th. Coincidental? I think not.

With so much money at stake for both players and owners, did anyone really think - deep down - that a new CBA wouldn't get done in time?

Hmmm...let's see...

2011 'League Season' will begin on July 28th; Bills training camp scheduled to open at SJF on July 29th. Coincidental? I think not.

With so much money at stake for both players and owners, did anyone really think - deep down - that a new CBA wouldn't get done in time?

I like sneeky little facts like this, I hope you're right, this offseason has been killing me.

Hmmm...let's see...

This is about the only reason I can see it getting done soon. I told my wife last week that I thought a deal would be done w/in the next 2 weeks because there's so much money to be lost, otherwise.

Hmmm...let's see...

Even pre-season games are big bucks for all involved....I agree, they get it done in time to get the cash flowing again.

Even pre-season games are big bucks for all involved....I agree, they get it done in time to get the cash flowing again.

Way cool in that there are a lot of specifics offered in terms of how this gets done that it seems to be far more than usual fact-free opinions thrown around by the pundits. I also am quite hopeful that this will get done in that every day this does not get done there is money simply being left on the table never to be recovered by either the owners or the players.

Both sides are dumb but they are not stupid. We might get er done.

Hmmm...let's see...

That's exactly how I have felt about this whole thing. I'm not surprised that both sides have been working hard on trying to end the lockout at the last minute.

During springtime and early summer both sides could posture all they wanted because they weren't going to lose big money from mini-camp, OTA's and training camp. Now that we are approaching the time of year for preseason, both sides now realize that the loss of big money is even closer.

In the end both the owners & players know that having no season or a shortened season would be very bad.

So I agree with you Senator that deep down we all knew that the lockout was going to be resolved in order to save the season. There is no way that the owners and players are going to just sit there and watch millions and millions of dollars go down the drain.

A deal has been "in the works" for months now.

Absolutely. Essentially they've told us that a deal will get done and there will be a full season. Human nature and negotiating tactics mean that it won't be done until the deadline. We're near the deadline and lo and behold, a deal is imminent.

Everything in the last couple months has been preparation for the agreement now. If they didn't have all the previous work it'd be much harder to do a last minute deal because of the complexity of it all. Before then it was all posturing and grand-standing.

Fear not, football is coming.

I don't think this is necessarily true. The owners get big bucks from pre season, but not the players. Players only get game checks for regular season games. They make peanuts for pre season games. I don't think the players have as big a motivation to get it done this week as the owners do. So, we'll see ...

I don't think this is necessarily true. The owners get big bucks from pre season, but not the players. Players only get game checks for regular season games. They make peanuts for pre season games. I don't think the players have as big a motivation to get it done this week as the owners do. So, we'll see ...

Not saying your wrong (I really don't know), but if the players get 48% of the profits (what is being reported) would that not include pre-season as well?

Honestly, I would hazard to guess that many players want the prep-season. For some, that is that may the only time they have a chance to distinguish themselves. The guys who skip it every year, or most of it, are amongst the handful of players who are "made men" in the NFL.

Not saying your wrong (I really don't know), but if the players get 48% of the profits (what is being reported) would that not include pre-season as well?

Honestly, I would hazard to guess that many players want the prep-season. For some, that is that may the only time they have a chance to distinguish themselves. The guys who skip it every year, or most of it, are amongst the handful of players who are "made men" in the NFL.

You are correct. The 48% to the players includes revenue from preseason games. Most of the guys who make the team, especially the starters won;t play much in these games anyway.

I talked with one of the Ravens players last month...over beer and a few shots, I explained to him that I hope you guys get what you want..

His response... he hates mini camp and OTA's...right now he is having a blast, because since he was drafted, he couldn't have fun and relax--it's football 365 days a year!

I have a feeling most veteran players have said the same thing.

Absolutely. Essentially they've told us that a deal will get done and there will be a full season. Human nature and negotiating tactics mean that it won't be done until the deadline. We're near the deadline and lo and behold, a deal is imminent.

Everything in the last couple months has been preparation for the agreement now. If they didn't have all the previous work it'd be much harder to do a last minute deal because of the complexity of it all. Before then it was all posturing and grand-standing.

Fear not, football is coming.

Yep, its coming, without months of offseason work. No rookie prep, to speak of ahead of camp. I predict subpar football 6 weeks into the season. Lots of penalities, lots of excuses, vanilla football (no time to put it all in) etc etc. And we will be told, its the same for everybody. Yep, subpar football on both sides of the ball. Makes you feel really good about your season ticket investment. Will they be discounting the preseason and early games, not on your life!!! The fan base will be expected to suck up the weak product and : YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!