New LA Team could come Thru Buffalo

I get that this is a big-market, big-money game, I really do. The Jerry Jones and Dan Snyders call the shots. But they all need somebody to play, correct? Or is the theory that there will eventually be three teams in NY, Chicago, LA, Dallas and, of course, the Packers will survive. I know there's no love for the small-market teams in the current negotiations, but the league isn't shrinking either.

That is all true. But a city, like Austin, where I live, at this point, would be a more profitable place to run an NFL franchsie than Buffalo.

It is growing by leaps and bounds (while Buffalo contnues to shrink) is an hour from San Antonio...and I am sure there are more cities like it. Population is shifting...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best way for the Bills to stay in Buffalo is for them to win a SB or at the very least become relevant again in the NFL .

The only other thing we may have on our side is that Goodell is from the Jamestown area & hopefully his allegiance as far as a hometown team lies in B-lo with the Bills !! 0:)

i think the media in buffalo is woefully "dropping the ball" here. the fans are being totally disrespected by the bills company line of "being sold to the highest bidder". why cant a member of the media grow a set and press the bills on this, i know john wawro did interview ralph and did provide us with some insight, but why cant somebody at least ask brandon why the issue is being ignored and no info is forthcoming ? i know the 'reverance" we all must show ralph, but the fans are entitled to some dignity here.

Edited by dwight in philly

The best way for the Bills to stay in Buffalo is for them to win a SB or at the very least become relevant again in the NFL .

The only other thing we may have on our side is that Goodell is from the Jamestown area & hopefully his allegiance as far as a hometown team lies in B-lo with the Bills !! 0:)

I wouldn't place too much faith in Goodell...he does not impress me at all, and seems, more than anything, like a businessman...there won't be a lot of room for loyalty. He isn't bigger than the league. Also, btw, I believe he grew up a NY Giants fan, from what I recall. Of course, everyone is a Bills fan, when they are talking to Bills fans.

One thing Buffalo has in its' favor, is its' stadium deal. At least for now. But, even there, as much as I love Rich stadium (or "the Ralph" if we must!), its' only a matter of time before that facility is seen as a liability. Sure, we have the close proximity to Toronto in our favor, but think about it. Why not, from a dollar and sense point of view, just move the franchise to Toronto, and hope you hold on to some Bills fans in Buffalo...what you lose in Buffalonian, they will think, they can make up for in Canadian fans.

Oh well...no more on this topic for me...my pessimism always gets the best of me, when it comes to this suject, I admit.

I love this team, and I love Buffalo...it hurts too much to think about it. Like someone else said, enjoy while we can, for as long as we can...winning would really help...

Edited by Buftex

So Sully writes a speculative article, several other journalists pick it up and now it's fact? Okaaaaaay...

Clearly the road to keeping the Bills in Buffalo isn't a simple one, but the fact remains no one knows what will happen when Ralph goes or what has been talked about behind closed doors.

This is like being on a plane and worrying about it crashing the entire flight - if it does, you're dead and all of that worry was for nothing - if it doesn't, you're alive and all of that worry was for nothing...

I'm confused, where's the news here? There may not be any known plans for ownership but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Bills are much better off than several teams in the league right now. Not worried about it, think this topic should be closed.

So Sully writes a speculative article, several other journalists pick it up and now it's fact? Okaaaaaay...

Clearly the road to keeping the Bills in Buffalo isn't a simple one, but the fact remains no one knows what will happen when Ralph goes or what has been talked about behind closed doors.

This is like being on a plane and worrying about it crashing the entire flight - if it does, you're dead and all of that worry was for nothing - if it doesn't, you're alive and all of that worry was for nothing...

It isn't so much the Sullivan quote, or even the linked article...it is coming from the news, out of the CBA negotiations...turn on ESPN radio for updates. They are getting closer to a deal, that is not favorable to small market teams...it only takes 24 of 32 owners to approve...a few nay-sayers (presumably Mr Wilson and Mike Brown in Cincinnati)...so, it appears, we will have our football back sooner than later, but at what price, for us?

It isn't so much the Sullivan quote, or even the linked article...it is coming from the news, out of the CBA negotiations...turn on ESPN radio for updates. They are getting closer to a deal, that is not favorable to small market teams...it only takes 24 of 32 owners to approve...a few nay-sayers (presumably Mr Wilson and Mike Brown in Cincinnati)...so, it appears, we will have our football back sooner than later, but at what price, for us?

We're not the only small market team. If we're hurt by the CBA, that means the Browns, Jags, Rams, Lions, Bengals will be on the same level as us.

We're not the only small market team. If we're hurt by the CBA, that means the Browns, Jags, Rams, Lions, Bengals will be on the same level as us.

True, but that doesn't make me feel any better about the sitution. I am sure fans of those teams are sweating it out too.

DING! DING! DING!! Someone finally peaked behind the curtain to see how the sausage gets made.

PTR

The Bills are not moving to L.A. You move the Bills you lose the Toronto market as well as Western New York. The main target is the Chargers; old stadium, bad fan attendance, close to L.A. already.

I hope you are right also, but the Bills have an old stadium, the 4th lowest attendance in the NFL in 2010, and an owner who most assume doesn't have a whole lot of years left as owner, so the ownership of the team will be changing. From what I have heard about the new CBA the owners are working on, it only requires 24 of the owners to go along with it, and right not that doesn't seem a problem, so when Ralph and Mike Brown shoot it down again, again it won't matter. What might hurt the Bills is, supposedly there is a stipulation in the new CBA that the minimum cap, which they have raised to try to encourage the players to agree, is going to be 90-93% of the salary cap. As a fan, I think that is great, if they spend it right, they should be contenders, but history shows that often isn't the case.

That is all true. But a city, like Austin, where I live, at this point, would be a more profitable place to run an NFL franchsie than Buffalo.

It is growing by leaps and bounds (while Buffalo contnues to shrink) is an hour from San Antonio...and I am sure there are more cities like it. Population is shifting...

I hear ya, Tex. I've got a sister in Austin. I've been there. It's great. I have a hard time believing those folks would go head-over-heels for the NFL when the Longhorns are their passion. And if San Antonio counts (as well it should), then so do Toronto, Rochester, Syracuse, etc. If the Broncos can get fans from Idaho, a 2-hour drive for the NFL isn't a big deal. I know. I make it eight times a year.

I understand the big boys wanting more money and I have said for years that if someone buys the Bills the ROI is not here. They would have to move the team to justify the price.

If the league doesn't prevent the path its on and Schmuck Schumer doesn't get some legislation into the picture, I think there will be football in Buffalo after about a two year hiatus and it will be, The AFL.

The NFL will be a league consisting of two NY teams, two LA teams Green Bay, Chicago, Hong Kong, London, Riyad, and some maybe some team Germany and there will be plenty of talent to start up the old band again.

God I hate thinking like this.

If you do the math on what is refered to as " the Bills regional market area"( Western New york including the Southern Tier and east to the Rochester area, Southern Ontario including the Toronto area),then you are looking at a population of 15 to 20 million people hardly what would be called small market.

I see the Bills revenue held back by stadium location and design and marketing. The Ralph was great in the day, but like anything else has to make way for tomorrow. I think the Bills could be a real money maker for a new owner,in the "regional market area",if a new stadium was more than just a place to play the game but also conceived as a "destination experience."

Many of the expensive club suites could be marketed as part of inclusive travel packages that included the other local attractions, some examples might be ; "The Falls", Winter sports, Toronto tours,Cultural venues including the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra,hunting/fishing/boating/sailing/gambling packages ect.The region has almost endless options that are not being exploited.

The area development councils need to think about the Bills as there magnet to draw people to the area for more than a four hour game but for a week or even longer.

The area needs to be transformed. Business and government leaders have to stop kidding themselves that in todays world some mega industrial corporation will build a headquarters/factory in the area and hire a million people.The city of Buffalo could do itself a favor,stop thinking old,neglected,and empty properties hold any future revenue.The opposite is true.They end up being Section eight housing or occupied illegally by a population the requires additional public assistance adding to the public burden.Many areas of the city need to be acquired either thru condemnation or eminent domain and just bulldozed. I'm talking square miles.Replace them with parks and market cleared areas for new development.Create jobs to lift people from government subsistance rather than empowering it.Turn the region back into a destination people want to visit, not the butt of jokes.

Sorry I've run on,but short sighted thinking is the reason our economy is where it is today.

Edited by JinWPB

I see the Bills revenue held back by stadium location and design and marketing.

I see the Bills biggestv drawback being the lack of corporations in and close enough to Buffalo to sell enough suites. So this big mnarket area isn't working if you include Toronto because to my knoowledge their corps are not buying them en masse. Canadians certainly account for a large number of individual tickets and I would think would be willing to pay higher prices also.

The problem is singularly Buffalo.

True, we don't know how the deal will work out for small market teams, it definitely sounds like they'll be dishing out more loot (spending nearly 100% of cap each year, $27MM in benefits). I wonder how much more that is than current spending?

And even the ESPN article is completely speculative:

"The higher floor proposal could cause some problems for the lower revenue teams such as the Cincinnati Bengals and the Buffalo Bills. Along with the salary cap, teams have to pay an average of about $27 million a year in benefits."

Yup, it could. Or maybe not.

One thing's for sure, we'll all find out eventually, one way or another...

If the LA stadium proposal goes through, which is not a done deal, and Ralph is still alive, there is zero chance the Bills will be the team moving to LA.

Without question, Ralph has a succession plan, regardless of what he says publicly. It's the ultimate head-in-the-sand drivel from Jerry Sullivan to say that he doesn't, just because he hasn't announced it. If there are not one, or even two teams in LA when the unfortunate passing of Ralph does occur, there is a very slight chance the Bills will move there. Extremely small, IMO. The NFL wants a team in Buffalo regardless of the small market. It will almost for sure be a west coast team that moves there because of TV contracts. There are several "players" in the Buffalo area or willing to keep the Bills here who are just waiting to pony up when they become for sale, if they even do.