Can Evans be trade bait?

Lee Evans is a known commodity as a very good speedy wide-out, who requires double coverage in most situations. The Bills are rich in wide receivers right now, but still a draft or two away from becoming a significant factor in the post season. By then, Evans will be on the downhill side of his career and he will have blocked some of the young good receivers on the roster from being developed to see their potential.

QUESTION:

What do you think about the Bills trading Evans for a draft pick once the league is back in business?

I would take a pick in the 80-100 range (a mid second round pick)for him and hope fore a pick in the 60-80 range (early second round).

What do you think?

I would get rid of him for a mid-round second pick. Thing is...I don't think he's worth that. And I don't think anyone else thinks he is either. I guess he's got a few years left and for cheap so he could pull something like that...I would pull the trigger honestly. I don't think we're that loaded at WR but I do think we have some young guy who could get more involved if Evans were gone and we COULD (not would) end up better THIS year w/ out him.

Edited by dayman

Lee Evans is a known commodity as a very good speedy wide-out, who requires double coverage in most situations. The Bills are rich in wide receivers right now, but still a draft or two away from becoming a significant factor in the post season. By then, Evans will be on the downhill side of his career and he will have blocked some of the young good receivers on the roster from being developed to see their potential.

QUESTION:

What do you think about the Bills trading Evans for a draft pick once the league is back in business?

I would take a pick in the 80-100 range (a mid second round pick)for him and hope fore a pick in the 60-80 range (early second round).

What do you think?

Almost any player is tradeable if the value is there, but I take exception with your assertion that the Bills are rich in WRs. Who would replace Evans in the starting lineup, and how is Johnson going to produce as a #1?

If he is more involved in the offense this year he could be. The only way I see the team dealing him is if he is having a great year before the trade deadline. Some contender might want to add him to help their young QB, or to put a WR needy team over the top.

Saying the Bills are "Rich at the wide receiver position" is a gross over statement. I think that we have a lot of potential, but that's no where near being in a position to trade our #1 option. I'm not someone that's a huge Evans believer, but I do think he is going to serve as a huge contributor to the young guys getting better.

Teams aren't going to give up a 2nd round pick for Evans. That's just not going to happen. Also, why are so many people rushing to trade Evans? We don't know if Stevie will regress next season. Why are we trying to put so much pressure on our young developing players to succeed right away? I say leave Evans on the team and try and get him more involved next season while letting our younger guys develop without the added pressure.

QUESTION:

What do you think?

pick 100, is a 4th rounder, not a mid second. how many picks do you think are in a round that you gave a 20 pick range for early second, and another 20 for mid second?

A pic at 100 would be in the 4th round. Honestly that is all Lee is worth and I'd take a 4th rounder without thinking about it. He is pushing 30, has a large cap number(for the amount of production he brings to the team) and he has never been anything more than a burner. If the guy would even think about going over the middle he would be the best slot reciever in the league and would produce so much more than he does now. Picture Wes Welker with more god given talent. The fact is that he won't go over the middle and he's really not that fast. He's not big at all. All he can do is make a few pretty catches going deep and honestly he hasn't done that well since JP left. Its not suprising that since then his statistics have been below average for even a 2nd or 3rd WR in the league. The only reason why he ever had 1000+ yard seasons is because JP would only throw deep balls to Evans all game. Unfortunately Lees speed has never been breakaway against good CBs and he's about as physical as a ballerina dancer. I've been an advocate of trading him for some time. If we would have done it 3 years ago we might have recieved some decent value for him. Unfortunately now we would be very lucky to get a 4th or at best a late 3rd rounder. I do agree with many posters that he is the only veteran of the young group at the position and could help with experience and mentoring the young guys, however I also agree with some posters when they say there is no one on this team that could fill his shoes. At least right now. At the end of the day, I'd rather turn the #1 spit over to Stevie J and try and get the young guys involved, Hoping they contribute and continue to learn. And spend that 4th rounder next draft to trade our 3rd and 4ths into the 2nd and get a starter on the OL or at LB. Or take it and use it for depth on either if those positions or possibly another CB to replace McGee after his career is ended by the end of this season because he can't finish 4 games now without having to take a break for 6.

Edited by mrags

Why trade him? I don't understand why everyone is always in a rush to make this team worse.

yeah I don't know- It's not like Lee Evans is 35 and in a steep decline and while Evans isn't an elite WR it's not like we have a sure fire elite WR to replace him, Parrish isn't as good, Easley hasn't played a down,- if you want to cut or trade Evans sign someone better first.

yeah I don't know- It's not like Lee Evans is 35 and in a steep decline and while Evans isn't an elite WR it's not like we have a sure fire elite WR to replace him, Parrish isn't as good, Easley hasn't played a down,- if you want to cut or trade Evans sign someone better first.

Will be tough at his price tag. Have you seen the types of guys getting 3-4 mill

A pic at 100 would be in the 4th round. Honestly that is all Lee is worth and I'd take a 4th rounder without thinking about it. He is pushing 30, has a large cap number(for the amount of production he brings to the team) and he has never been anything more than a burner. If the guy would even think about going over the middle he would be the best slot reciever in the league and would produce so much more than he does now. Picture Wes Welker with more god given talent. The fact is that he won't go over the middle and he's really not that fast. He's not big at all. All he can do is make a few pretty catches going deep and honestly he hasn't done that well since JP left. Its not suprising that since then his statistics have been below average for even a 2nd or 3rd WR in the league. The only reason why he ever had 1000+ yard seasons is because JP would only throw deep balls to Evans all game. Unfortunately Lees speed has never been breakaway against good CBs and he's about as physical as a ballerina dancer. I've been an advocate of trading him for some time. If we would have done it 3 years ago we might have recieved some decent value for him. Unfortunately now we would be very lucky to get a 4th or at best a late 3rd rounder. I do agree with many posters that he is the only veteran of the young group at the position and could help with experience and mentoring the young guys, however I also agree with some posters when they say there is no one on this team that could fill his shoes. At least right now. At the end of the day, I'd rather turn the #1 spit over to Stevie J and try and get the young guys involved, Hoping they contribute and continue to learn. And spend that 4th rounder next draft to trade our 3rd and 4ths into the 2nd and get a starter on the OL or at LB. Or take it and use it for depth on either if those positions or possibly another CB to replace McGee after his career is ended by the end of this season because he can't finish 4 games now without having to take a break for 6.

Turn over the #1 spot to a guy who has had 7-8 good games and one huge game losing drop. Yeah that sounds smart. What difference does Evan's cap number make? The Bills have not been close to the cap in a decade.

And then you can trade a 7th and that magical second round pick for Tom Brady. Grow up.

Why trade him? I don't understand why everyone is always in a rush to make this team worse.

He is not a true #1 quality receiver and is overpaid based on performance. He does not require double coverage and did not excel even as the #2 receiver when TO was here and drawing the other teams' top coverage corners.

I'm not saying we're better off without him, just that he's not top tier. :unsure:

QUESTION:

What do you think?

Here we go again, but if we do I would do it for a player that can contribute or can be developed to which I would go for Tebow. It is gonna suck when he lights it up this year and we should have drafted him, hell I'd throw in Spiller if they wanted.

A #1 wide receiver who does not require double covereage should not be the #1. He should hurt the other team every game.

Evans and Johnson played nearly every offensive down, but

Evans gave us only 578 yards, while

Johnson gave us 1078 yards,

Nelson gave us 353 yards,

Jones gave us 213 yards

Parrish gave us 400 yards in half a season.

EVANS PRODUCTION

2008 BUF 1,017 yards

2009 BUF 612 yards

2010 BUF 578 yards

2011 ???? 300 yards????

What I see on the roster by description is:

Evans: long patterns, primary deep receiver, seldom short or over the middle. Limited flexibility,

37 receptions avg 15.6yards 3 for 40+ two fumbles 4 TD

Steve Johnson: best numbers on the team, Evans replacement. Dangerous all over the field

82 receptions, avg 13.1 yards 2 for 40+ zero fumbles 10 TD

Nelson: used as a possession/red zone, 3rd wideout (since Evans and Johnson already on the field). Ready to step up as #2.

31 receptions avg 11.4 yards 3 TD

Easley: missed last year but looked good late bloomer in college and 2010 training camp. At least quality depth and and likely to move into starting mix in 2011.

Parrish: slot receiver with speed

33 receptions avg 12.2 2 TD

Donald Jones: bigger slot receiver alternate to Parrish as slot receiver.

As a rookie, part time player, gave the Bills 37% of the yards that Evans got and 25% of the TDs. Think about it.

18 receptions, avg 11.8 yards 1 TD

Spiller: A wild card in the mix. Gailey drafted him because of the potential to get him into space with the ball and even last year he drew attention when he was on the field. Whether he lines up in the backfield and then splits out wide for a GO route, or goes in motion wide or does the ThurmanThomas little slip out pass,,, he will help the passing game. While it is true that help will work whether or not Evans is on the roster or not, it provides an option to replacd whatever Evans was bringing to the table.

Roosevelt(local guy), Huggins(speedy guy who was hurt and cleared waivers), Hubbard (6-2 225),

What I think is that Evans has a limited tool set and teams have found that they can neutralize him with soft deep single coverage without a safety over the top AND this is easier because he is not likely to break over the middle and get loose. We would be just as well off by putting a burner who can run a fly pattern OR a crossing route out there in his place. This would mean that we would be developing a young player, who is not going to be further over the hill 2 years from now, and would have an extra draft pick to stock up on LB or OL. The Pasties have made a meal ticket in the draft by trading off still-good players with some milage on their tires, in order to get the ammo to restock. You have to give up something to play that game and I think it is time to unload Evans while he still has some perceived worth.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

QUESTION:

What do you think?

I think you are smoking crack. So you would take a 4th round pick for Evans (that is normally where pick #100 is)? How many players have the Bills drafted in the 4th round ever, that have been as good as Evans? Why trade a known commodity for at best a pick that has a 10% chance of being as good as Evans? I guess you enjoy all this losing the franchise has done for the past decade and a half.

Edited by billsfreak

A #1 wide receiver who does not require double covereage should not be the #1. He should hurt the other team every game.

Jones gave us 213 yards

EVANS PRODUCTION

2008 BUF 1,017 yards

2009 BUF 612 yards

2010 BUF 578 yards

2011 ???? 300 yards????

Evans: long patterns, primary deep receiver, seldom short or over the middle. Limited flexibility,

Steve Johnson: best numbers on the team, Evans replacement. Dangerous all over the field

Nelson: used as a possession/red zone, 3rd wideout (since Evans and Johnson already on the field). Ready to step up as #2.

Easley: missed last year but looked good late bloomer in college and 2010 training camp. At least quality depth and and likely to move into starting mix in 2011.

As a rookie, part time player, gave the Bills 37% of the yards that Evans got and 25% of the TDs. Think about it.

Spiller: A wild card in the mix. Gailey drafted him because of the potential to get him into space with the ball and even last year he drew attention when he was on the field. Whether he lines up in the backfield and then splits out wide for a GO route, or goes in motion wide or does the ThurmanThomas little slip out pass,,, he will help the passing game. While it is true that help will work whether or not Evans is on the roster or not, it provides an option to replacd whatever Evans was bringing to the table.

Roosevelt(local guy), Huggins(speedy guy who was hurt and cleared waivers), Hubbard (6-2 225),

What I think is that Evans has a limited tool set and teams have found that they can neutralize him with soft deep single coverage without a safety over the top AND this is easier because he is not likely to break over the middle and get loose. We would be just as well off by putting a burner who can run a fly pattern OR a crossing route out there in his place. This would mean that we would be developing a young player, who is not going to be further over the hill 2 years from now, and would have an extra draft pick to stock up on LB or OL. The Pasties have made a meal ticket in the draft by trading off still-good players with some milage on their tires, in order to get the ammo to restock. You have to give up something to play that game and I think it is time to unload Evans while he still has some perceived worth.

Again I'm not the biggest Evans supporter and certainly think he's been a disappointment since he's been relied upon as our #1 WR. But you are trying hard to sound like you know what you're talking about, but are clearly over your head.

You said "Evans and Johnson played nearly every offensive down", that's not factual Evans missed 3 games. You also said "Evans gets soft deep single coverage without a safety over the top". I don't even know where to start with that statement. What does soft deep single coverage mean? Even if you could try and explain a non existing coverage, you're way off. Evans has been getting doubled (whether you want to admit it or not) for 5 years. I'm kind of a dorky and certainly novice that likes to watch a lot of film. Of course my resources are limited because I can only get access to what I can find on the net. But I have hours of film on Evans and you couldn't be more wrong.

Edited by Triple Threat

For some reason there are a lot of people on this board very worried about saving Ralph as much money as possible.

And those same people b*itch non stop about how cheap Ralph is too, hilarious.

SJ was not a #1 last year...this is what happens when people read about the season rather than watch the season. SJ was invisible for large bulks of most games. He compiled a lot of garbage time stats and late game stats when the game was all but over. He was not a dominant force commanding double teams. I like SJ, and last year was a great breakout for him, but its getting so over exaggerated this off season. Yes, he had a great season for your fantasy team, but his in game impact when the games mattered was marginal at best, not to mention his failures in key situations. At this point, he has achieved Peerless Price status...he has a lot of work to do before he can be considered a true #1 WR. He benefited greatly from the doubles Evans draws.

Now people are saying how stacked we are at WR...I mean get a grip with reality here. We have a lot of promising prospects for our team, but lets be honest, outside of SJ and Evans, no one else on our roster would be heading into camp as a starting WR on just about any other team in the NFL. I like our young groups potential, but they have proven nothing to this point that warrants a starting position.

Jones gave us 213 yards

EVANS PRODUCTION

2008 BUF 1,017 yards

2009 BUF 612 yards

2010 BUF 578 yards

2011 ???? 300 yards????

Steve Johnson: best numbers on the team, Evan’s replacement. Dangerous all over the field

As a rookie, part time player, gave the Bills 37% of the yards that Evans got and 25% of the TD’s. Think about it.

Great post. Thanks. I agree. We need to unload him before his value approaches zero. He has one route, which could be valuable to another team, Arizona comes to mind as Fitzgerald is begging for another WR. They need someone to take pressure off Larry or he will never re-sign. Seems like a good trading partner.