Batten = Paup

I step away from the computer for a few minutes and come back to find that you are all ready repeating yourself. Wow. I love how you immediately assume that someone doesn't know what they are talking about because you can't find some internet resource to justify it. Maybe you need to step away from the computer too. You know, get out of the house and find something useful or entertaining to do. I saw Batten in person at training camp and the kid was flat out bringing it. I fully expect you to blah, blah, blah some more on the subject and to further repeat yourself because you don't seem to think before you start ranting.

When you see something with your own eyes,

No doubt you must have also seen Trent Edwards "bringing it" in training camp.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I step away from the computer for a few minutes and come back to find that you are all ready repeating yourself. Wow. I love how you immediately assume that someone doesn't know what they are talking about because you can't find some internet resource to justify it. Maybe you need to step away from the computer too. You know, get out of the house and find something useful or entertaining to do. I saw Batten in person at training camp and the kid was flat out bringing it. I fully expect you to blah, blah, blah some more on the subject and to further repeat yourself because you don't seem to think before you start ranting.

When you see something with your own eyes, things tend to be more convincing. Batten would have made the team before Moats and it is that simple. Seeing is believing. I'll tell you something else. Batten was projected to be an outside linebacker and was asked to learn inside linebacker last year. He is learning both and there is a very good chance that he will go back to the outside this year. Because of last years injury he will likely have to play second fiddle this year, but if someone goes down, don't be surprised if Batten is the first name called on to fill in.

While, like many people who have responded to the OP, I am not yet chugging the "Batten=Paup" kool-aid. I do agree with much of your assessment of Batten. I also attended a few training camp sessions in that first week before Batten was injured, and IMHO he looked like one of the best linebackers on the football field. Based upon that small sample size of performance, if you will, I perceived him to be one of those players that plays with reckless abandon on each and every play. He is and always has been reputed to be one of those players that "brings his lunch pale" on the field every day. One thing is for certain, however, Batten knows how to tackle. Watch some footage of him and you will see that he tackles with perfect technique. Sticks the ball carrier between the numbers, wraps him like a python, and drives through his tackles. He certainly isn't an arm tackler or pile jumper like many of our defensive players.

I would love for the headline of the post to be true...but saying a guy is going to be like Paup was for us (16 sacks in a season) is quite the optimistic statement. Batten came from a small school, was a late round pick, is coming off of injury, and really hasn't been able to practice with the Bills since being drafted. I would be happy just to see him get on the field, let alone be Bryce Paup....

Of course it's wildly optimistic to hope that Batten can have a career anywhere as good as Paup…

But I wouldn't dismiss the possibility based on the bolded above.

Remember, Paup was a 6th round pick out of Northern Iowa. Batten was a 6th round pick our of South Dakota State. Like Batten, Paup also played defensive end in college.

And Batten has some credentials as most of us know… 3-time All America, Conference Co-Defensive Player of the Year, and finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award given to the best defensive player in I-AA… the winner was Arthur Moats. Other Buchanan winners include former NFL stars Dexter Coakley, Rashean Mathis, Ed Hartwell, Jared Allen…

Batten also had tons of sacks, tackles for losses and forced fumbles.

Yes he played at a lower level of competition but he dominated at that level.

He's one of the Bills young players that I'm very excited to watch play.

Don't have a good reason why but I get the feeling that Danny Batten will be our next Bryce Paup. They have similar size and non stop motors and think he will win one of the OLB spots. Batten had great production in college and went to every meeting last season even though he didn't have to so with that work ethic and skill set we will finally generate an outside passrush that we haven't had since Bryce.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article445342.ece

Wow. Batten has not played a single game yet but he equals Bryce Paup, a Pro Bowler and a sack leader. :wallbash:

Can we wait and see if he makes the team first?

Of course it's wildly optimistic to hope that Batten can have a career anywhere as good as Paup…

Remember, Paup was a 6th round pick out of Northern Iowa. Batten was a 6th round pick our of South Dakota State. Like Batten, Paup also played defensive end in college.

And Batten has some credentials as most of us know… 3-time All America, Conference Co-Defensive Player of the Year, and finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award given to the best defensive player in I-AA… the winner was Arthur Moats. Other Buchanan winners include former NFL stars Dexter Coakley, Rashean Mathis, Ed Hartwell, Jared Allen…

I was just going to look for that info. Thanks. I am in no way whatsoever agreeing with the "Batten=Paup" in the thread title but people like to write players off as if they are insignificant to the point where it all begins to sound like white noise to me. The negativity is just nauseating. Batten is like having an extra draft pick this year since he never played last year.

So is there something to be positive about? Yes, I believe there is. And he was one of the players that stood out to me in training camp.

When you see something with your own eyes, things tend to be more convincing. Batten would have made the team before Moats and it is that simple. Seeing is believing. I'll tell you something else. Batten was projected to be an outside linebacker and was asked to learn inside linebacker last year. He is learning both and there is a very good chance that he will go back to the outside this year. Because of last years injury he will likely have to play second fiddle this year, but if someone goes down, don't be surprised if Batten is the first name called on to fill in.

Wow...doesn't take much to get your undergarments in a bunch, does it?

For starters, you stated as a fact that Batten "had a roster spot locked up". No, he did not. Draft picks get cut all the time, and for you to believe that a 6th round pick from a Division I-AA school easily locked up a roster spot in 1 week of training camp practices is naive at best, silly at worst. You also said he was "clearly one of the better looking LBs at the time" with absolutely zero supporting arguments. Just a blanket statement of opinion (without a shred of game-play backup) as though it were a fact. That's more than a little presumptuous. You further underscore your jump-to-conclusions in this very post, by telling me that "Batten would have made the team before Moats and it is that simple". Wow. Thanks! Did Chan Gailey tell you that? Otherwise, my friend, no, it is not that simple. I'd personally hope that Gailey and Co. would want to see a 6th round pick in a game situation before they decide whether or not he makes the team.

Then again, perhaps they were relying on your opinion to make that decision. After all, you were sold on his "bringing it" after watching how many training camp practices? I'll bet you LOVED Constantin Ritzmann when he was with the team...I mean, I saw him get at least 3 "would-be" sacks in a single practice! I still think he got jobbed...

Lastly, I'm sorry if your feelings were hurt because I asked you to explain yourself. If you read my post, I went way, way out of the way to make sure it didn't sound insulting. I didn't assume anything about you, just asked you what you could possibly be basing that opinion on, since the guy only practiced for 1 week and didn't play any games. If you're a bit insecure, and need to take it out on me, that's cool, I don't mind. However, since you seem so concerned, I'll mollify your worries by assuring you that do spend a great deal of time outside of the house. Just last weekend I hiked the tallest mountain in the Berkshires; it took about 4 hours, but was well worth the incredible view. You should try it sometime.

I was just going to look for that info. Thanks. I am in no way whatsoever agreeing with the "Batten=Paup" in the thread title but people like to write players off as if they are insignificant to the point where it all begins to sound like white noise to me. The negativity is just nauseating. Batten is like having an extra draft pick this year since he never played last year.

So is there something to be positive about? Yes, I believe there is. And he was one of the players that stood out to me in training camp.

Clearly I was the target of your "nausea", which is actually quite fine with me. I just think you need to re-assess what you define as "negativity" versus "objectivity". I simply asked you (and another poster) what you've seen from Batten that makes you so confident that he'll be a good football player, since there is zero NFL performance on which to base such an opinion. That is all.

That type of question shouldn't elicit such vitriol...at least not in someone that has a modicum of confidence in their opinion.

Edited by thebandit27

I am definitely not dismissing anything, I think he has a lot of potential. I think he has more upside than Moats. I'd just like to see the guy at least make it through a training camp before comparing him to one of the best pass rushers the Bills have had and saying "Batten = Paup".

Edited by Turbosrrgood

For starters, you stated as a fact that Batten "had a roster spot locked up". No, he did not. Draft picks get cut all the time, and for you to believe that a 6th round pick from a Division I-AA school easily locked up a roster spot in 1 week of training camp practices is naive at best, silly at worst. You also said he was "clearly one of the better looking LBs at the time" with absolutely zero supporting arguments. Just a blanket statement of opinion (without a shred of game-play backup) as though it were a fact. That's more than a little presumptuous. You further underscore your jump-to-conclusions in this very post, by telling me that "Batten would have made the team before Moats and it is that simple". Wow. Thanks! Did Chan Gailey tell you that? Otherwise, my friend, no, it is not that simple. I'd personally hope that Gailey and Co. would want to see a 6th round pick in a game situation before they decide whether or not he makes the team.

Then again, perhaps they were relying on your opinion to make that decision. After all, you were sold on his "bringing it" after watching how many training camp practices? I'll bet you LOVED Constantin Ritzmann when he was with the team...I mean, I saw him get at least 3 "would-be" sacks in a single practice! I still think he got jobbed...

Lastly, I'm sorry if your feelings were hurt because I asked you to explain yourself. If you read my post, I went way, way out of the way to make sure it didn't sound insulting. I didn't assume anything about you, just asked you what you could possibly be basing that opinion on, since the guy only practiced for 1 week and didn't play any games. If you're a bit insecure, and need to take it out on me, that's cool, I don't mind. However, since you seem so concerned, I'll mollify your worries by assuring you that do spend a great deal of time outside of the house. Just last weekend I hiked the tallest mountain in the Berkshires; it took about 4 hours, but was well worth the incredible view. You should try it sometime.

Clearly I was the target of your "nausea", which is actually quite fine with me. I just think you need to re-assess what you define as "negativity" versus "objectivity". I simply asked you (and another poster) what you've seen from Batten that makes you so confident that he'll be a good football player, since there is zero NFL performance on which to base such an opinion. That is all.

That type of question shouldn't elicit such vitriol...at least not in someone that has a modicum of confidence in their opinion.

Don't waste your time, some of the people on here refuse to be reasonable when it comes to assessing players or the team. Every year we are a playoff contender, all of our vets are going to make the jump to All Pros, and the only debate on our rookie class is which ones will win DROY and OROY. I enjoy laughing at these wild assumptions.

Don't waste your time, some of the people on here refuse to be reasonable when it comes to assessing players or the team. Every year we are a playoff contender, all of our vets are going to make the jump to All Pros, and the only debate on our rookie class is which ones will win DROY and OROY. I enjoy laughing at these wild assumptions.

lol, so true...

And conversely, there are (at least) an equal number of posters who assert every year that anything and everything about the organization sucks. They have the upper hand right now given the past decade of futility, but their assertions are no less extreme and ridiculous.

Let's sum it up:

The OP is having a wishful thinking day about a player, but others point out that wishful it may be, but it could happen. But another poster (in this case jumbalaya) makes the point most agree with but just does it in a nasty name-calling way that many of the board a tired of reading.

Let's see, this is representitive of about 2/3rds of the threads on TSW.

And conversely, there are (at least) an equal number of posters who assert every year that anything and everything about the organization sucks. They have the upper hand right now given the past decade of futility, but their assertions are no less extreme and ridiculous.

Indeed there are, and both sides are over-the-top in my opinion.

My only point that I've tried to state in this thread is that a poster should be prepared to defend their opinion with some kind of reason, especially when it's a seemingly unfounded statement that a 6th round pick, coming off of an injury, with zero NFL experience will perform on par with a guy that turned in the 2nd-best pass-rushing season in team history.

I'm pretty sure, based on your level-headed post history, that you'd agree.

Let's sum it up:

The OP is having a wishful thinking day about a player, but others point out that wishful it may be, but it could happen. But another poster (in this case jumbalaya) makes the point most agree with but just does it in a nasty name-calling way that many of the board a tired of reading.

Let's see, this is representitive of about 2/3rds of the threads on TSW.

Or, to put it another way:

Step 1: OP posts an overly positive or negative opinion about a player/coach/team.

Step 2: Multiple posters with the extreme opposite view belittle the OP.

Step 3: Pissing match ensues.

Step 4: Thread finally closed by moderator.

Actually, it's pretty clear that it is I who is getting under your skin. As for the "nauseating" remark, I was not clearly referring to you. But like I said before, evidenced by this additional rant, I fully expected you would continue to blah, blah, blah. Also like I said before, seeing is believing. And what I see is someone who is full of himself. A blow hard, know it all. :lol: Blah blah blah. Go ahead keep going. Now your just amusing me.

Indeed there are, and both sides are over-the-top in my opinion.

My only point that I've tried to state in this thread is that a poster should be prepared to defend their opinion with some kind of reason, especially when it's a seemingly unfounded statement that a 6th round pick, coming off of an injury, with zero NFL experience will perform on par with a guy that turned in the 2nd-best pass-rushing season in team history.

I'm pretty sure, based on your level-headed post history, that you'd agree.

I do agree. It's why I start very few threads -- the ones I start usually get one or two responses and then die. I'm not controversial enough, and nobody wants to just have a good old fashioned discussion with give and take -- everyone wants to prove how right they are.