Batten = Paup

Actually, it's pretty clear that it is I who is getting under your skin. As for the "nauseating" remark, I was not clearly referring to you. But like I said before, evidenced by this additional rant, I fully expected you would continue to blah, blah, blah. Also like I said before, seeing is believing. And what I see is someone who is full of himself. A blow hard, know it all. :lol: Blah blah blah. Go ahead keep going. Now your just amusing me.

It takes more than your banter to get under my skin. I deal with lawyers and corporate customers for a living; believe me you've got nothing on them (their antics are much more pointed than typing "blah blah blah" on a keyboard or slinging uber-sharp barbs like "blow hard"). I promise I still wear the same jovial smile I had when I woke up this morning...not to worry. But since I apparently amuse you so, I have to ask:

What part of asking you to support your statement represents blowhardism, knowitallitis, or blah-blah-blahishness? I don't exactly see any signs of it, but then again, I have the advantage of knowing what I was thinking when I wrote it.

In fact, I'd call some of your remarks (i.e. "Batten would have made the team before Moats and it is that simple") closer to being a blowhard or knowitall than anything I said.

Still amused? Good, me too!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree. It's why I start very few threads -- the ones I start usually get one or two responses and then die. I'm not controversial enough, and nobody wants to just have a good old fashioned discussion with give and take -- everyone wants to prove how right they are.

I wouldn't say everyone. Then there are also occasions where poster means one thing and reader thinks another. But you are right for the most part. I am leaning toward staying away from controversial subjects myself, because I tend to bring out the worst in people :lol:

It takes more than your banter to get under my skin. I deal with lawyers and corporate customers for a living; believe me you've got nothing on them (their antics are much more pointed than typing "blah blah blah" on a keyboard or slinging uber-sharp barbs like "blow hard"). I promise I still wear the same jovial smile I had when I woke up this morning...not to worry. But since I apparently amuse you so, I have to ask:

What part of asking you to support your statement represents blowhardism, knowitallitis, or blah-blah-blahishness? I don't exactly see any signs of it, but then again, I have the advantage of knowing what I was thinking when I wrote it.

In fact, I'd call some of your remarks (i.e. "Batten would have made the team before Moats and it is that simple") closer to being a blowhard or knowitall than anything I said.

Still amused? Good, me too!

Now we're getting somewhere. Now go back and read my first post now knowing that I was actually at 2 training camp practices with my kids. You can criticize my assessment but it still wasn't your eyes at the practices. It was mine.

I do agree. It's why I start very few threads -- the ones I start usually get one or two responses and then die. I'm not controversial enough, and nobody wants to just have a good old fashioned discussion with give and take -- everyone wants to prove how right they are.

This is the nature of posting on a forum. People post their opinions, other people disagree, each side tries to prove their point...Some will get upset over it...It is unavoidable...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

This is the nature of posting on a forum. People post their opinions, other people disagree, each side tries to prove their point...Some will get upset over it...It is unavoidable...

Why does this sound like you are giving in? Wanna debate about it? :bag:

I kid.

Now we're getting somewhere. Now go back and read my first post now knowing that I was actually at 2 training camp practices with my kids. You can criticize my assessment but it still wasn't your eyes at the practices. It was mine.

I read your post, and my response was this:

No offense, but what could you possibly be basing this statement on? He was injured 1 week into training camp last year...how could he possibly (a) have a roster spot locked up, or (b) "clearly" be "one of the better looking LBs at the time"?

Again, not to be a jerk, but neither of those statements makes any sense whatsoever.

I then responded to a different poster by saying:

Batten didn't even play in the pre-season...how could he have looked good?

I think this is the point of many posters that get frustrated with these types of posts. We've got people claiming that Batten "looked good in the pre-season", "had a roster spot locked up", and "was clearly one of the top LBs" when the guy completed one week of training camp practices and never played a down of competitive football in the NFL.

"Batten = Paup" is a far cry from "how awesome would it be if Batten could be like Bryce Paup in his prime? I really hope it happens". The latter statement is at least sensible, the former is borderline ridiculous.

Aside from the fact that most of my 2nd post isn't even directed at you, if you don't understand why some of us would find those conclusions about a rookie through 1 week of training camp practice as more than a bit presumptuous, then I'm afraid my point will forever be lost on you.

Conversely, if it does make sense to you, perhaps you could have simply answered my question as opposed to simply telling me how much better a player Batten was than Moats.

I hope this clears things up for you.

Edited by thebandit27

I read your post, and my response was this:

No offense, but what could you possibly be basing this statement on? He was injured 1 week into training camp last year...how could he possibly (a) have a roster spot locked up, or (b) "clearly" be "one of the better looking LBs at the time"?

Again, not to be a jerk, but neither of those statements makes any sense whatsoever.

I then responded to a different poster by saying:

Batten didn't even play in the pre-season...how could he have looked good?

I think this is the point of many posters that get frustrated with these types of posts. We've got people claiming that Batten "looked good in the pre-season", "had a roster spot locked up", and "was clearly one of the top LBs" when the guy completed one week of training camp practices and never played a down of competitive football in the NFL.

"Batten = Paup" is a far cry from "how awesome would it be if Batten could be like Bryce Paup in his prime? I really hope it happens". The latter statement is at least sensible, the former is borderline ridiculous.

Aside from the fact that most of my 2nd post isn't even directed at you, if you don't understand why some of us would find those conclusions about a rookie through 1 week of training camp practice as more than a bit presumptuous, then I'm afraid my point will forever be lost on you.

Conversely, if it does make sense to you, perhaps you could have simply answered my question as opposed to simply telling me how much better a player Batten was than Moats.

I hope this clears things up for you.

I tend to agree with your point on this one, but you seem to really lack in people skills lol.

Or, to put it another way:

Step 1: OP posts an overly positive or negative opinion about a player/coach/team.

Step 2: Multiple posters with the extreme opposite view belittle the OP.

Step 3: Pissing match ensues.

Step 4: Thread finally closed by moderator.

I think your summation is a bit more precise than mine was so I think your post should take primary position here. Apparently by your scale, we are on #3. Mods?

I tend to agree with your point on this one, but you seem to really lack in people skills lol.

Perhaps I'll have to soften my written message LOL...9 times out of 10 if you could hear me say what I type it wouldn't come across that way...

I don't get all of the comparisons. Bryce Paup, Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, Kent Hull, Darryl Talley, Cornelius Bennett, etc etc etc will never be replaced. It irritates the hell out of me when I hear guys (both fans and media pro's) saying that so and so is the next so and so.

Look for a franchise quarterback, the dominant pass rusher, elite receiver, top corner, hard hitting safety, but stop saying that Danny Batten is the next Bryce Paup, or Trent Edwards is the next Joe Montana, or Miley Cyrus is the next Brittany Spears. JUST STOP IT ALREADY!

Look.....if people came make vast overexagerations on how bad this team is....then why is someone being called names for having an overoptomistic view? That is what I dont get. I want to know why someone thinks its ok to call someone an idiot for expressing their view point.

I have disagreed with a lot of the negative types on this board who go way overboard on their generalizations......I dont call them names for their opinions (which by the way is a violation of TOS....attack the post not the poster)

The OP is being overly optomistic.....Batten looked good starting out the gate then got hurt....we need to see more

Look.....if people came make vast overexagerations on how bad this team is....then why is someone being called names for having an overoptomistic view? That is what I dont get. I want to know why someone thinks its ok to call someone an idiot for expressing their view point.

I have disagreed with a lot of the negative types on this board who go way overboard on their generalizations......I dont call them names for their opinions (which by the way is a violation of TOS....attack the post not the poster)

The OP is being overly optomistic.....Batten looked good starting out the gate then got hurt....we need to see more

A bit hypocritical, just the other day you referring to others threads as "jokes" and calling their opinions "garbage" because you didn't agree with them (troup thread). I agree with your message, but practice what you preach.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

It's not unavoidable at all. Intelligently discussing any topic can be accomplished without all of the nonsense and semi-veiled name calling found in this thread.