Batten = Paup

Don't have a good reason why but I get the feeling that Danny Batten will be our next Bryce Paup. They have similar size and non stop motors and think he will win one of the OLB spots. Batten had great production in college and went to every meeting last season even though he didn't have to so with that work ethic and skill set we will finally generate an outside passrush that we haven't had since Bryce.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article445342.ece

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have a good reason why but I get the feeling that Danny Batten will be our next Bryce Paup. They have similar size and non stop motors and think he will win one of the OLB spots. Batten had great production in college and went to every meeting last season even though he didn't have to so with that work ethic and skill set we will finally generate an outside passrush that we haven't had since Bryce.

wins it over who? Shawn is a lock to atleast start the season if healthy....and Moat is very much in the teams plans and schemes....I'll even say Maybin will get a real look at this season in different packages....

wins it over who? Shawn is a lock to atleast start the season if healthy....and Moat is very much in the teams plans and schemes....I'll even say Maybin will get a real look at this season in different packages....

Maybin won't even sniff the field unless he shows a "want to" in practice and an ability to learn that hasn't been there yet. Gailey and Nix proved last year that a player's draft position will not impact his playing time.

You are one of those Bills fans that think that any Bills player that has never played a down should be in the hall of fame. Like those that think Jasper will be starting mid way into the season. Where does the idiocy come from?

You are one of those Bills fans that think that any Bills player that has never played a down should be in the hall of fame. Like those that think Jasper will be starting mid way into the season. Where does the idiocy come from?

It comes from people reading articles on that person , their past & their back ground , coupling that with hope that the team get's better . Along with the trust in those now running the team that they have used their football knowledge & have made good picks for the team .

Unlike people that just ignorantly stick with just what is read on this blog & have no idea of the future potential of a player !! :nana:

It's called believing all the smoke the Bills PR department, media, and player agents blow up their clients asses without playing a down in the NFL. Remember Dan Brandenberg was supposed to be Paup's replacement because he was bigger and faster? Monte Brown was a physical freek, Ryan Denney was the next Phil Hansen, and how can we forget Maybin's explosive first step. James Hardy was the answer in the red zone being a big target. I'm with you. Wait until the guy plays against NFL competiton before making such ridiculous predictions.

It comes from people reading articles on that person , their past & their back ground , coupling that with hope that the team get's better . Along with the trust in those now running the team that they have used their football knowledge & have made good picks for the team .

Unlike people that just ignorantly stick with just what is read on this blog & have no idea of the future potential of a player !! :nana:

Yes, the small school, late round pick, that is coming off an injury and switching positions..... But he did attend the meetings.

I swear, the less video that exists, seems to equate to the more dominating I'm supposed to expect apparently.

I dunno. Where does the dickheadedness come from?

I agree, and there are plenty of them around here. Comparing someone who has never taken an NFL snap to someone who won NFL Defensive Player of the Year honors with us is ridiculous and not very smart.

Paup played five years in Green Bay and was a proven player when we grabbed him. He then had a career year with 17.5 sacks on a very exciting, experienced defense anchored by the best DE ever to play the game.. Batten has done and shown nothing yet you have him walking in Paup's shoes. He can't even hold his jock. Batten will be playing on one of the worst defenses in the NFL. Yes it is okay to hope he gets better and hope he may even start a few games this season. But to proclaim him the second coming is juvenile. If you are under 12 years old I get where you are coming from, if not, I don't.

Batten did have a roster spot locked up before he got injured. He was clearly one of the better looking LBs at that time. Will that actually translate on game day? We'll see. He has had a full year to learn the defense which will help, and he could be a pleasant surprise for us. But Batten=Paup is a reach.

Maybin won't even sniff the field unless he shows a "want to" in practice and an ability to learn that hasn't been there yet. Gailey and Nix proved last year that a player's draft position will not impact his playing time.

I will go a step further and say that Maybin will not be wasting a roster spot on the Bills this year...Although if the lockout continues that only HELPS Maybin. If the Bills can't get young guys into camp to get them up to speed we may be stuck with him...

I would love for the headline of the post to be true...but saying a guy is going to be like Paup was for us (16 sacks in a season) is quite the optimistic statement. Batten came from a small school, was a late round pick, is coming off of injury, and really hasn't been able to practice with the Bills since being drafted. I would be happy just to see him get on the field, let alone be Bryce Paup....

Batten did have a roster spot locked up before he got injured. He was clearly one of the better looking LBs at that time. Will that actually translate on game day? We'll see. He has had a full year to learn the defense which will help, and he could be a pleasant surprise for us. But Batten=Paup is a reach.

No offense, but what could you possibly be basing this statement on? He was injured 1 week into training camp last year...how could he possibly (a) have a roster spot locked up, or (b) "clearly" be "one of the better looking LBs at the time"?

Again, not to be a jerk, but neither of those statements makes any sense whatsoever.

I think you should hope he can make the team first before comparing him to a former defensive player of the year.

Why bother? We've already put Michael Jasper in the Hall of Fame...who needs reason?

I will go a step further and say that Maybin will not be wasting a roster spot on the Bills this year...Although if the lockout continues that only HELPS Maybin. If the Bills can't get young guys into camp to get them up to speed we may be stuck with him...

I would love for the headline of the post to be true...but saying a guy is going to be like Paup was for us (16 sacks in a season) is quite the optimistic statement. Batten came from a small school, was a late round pick, is coming off of injury, and really hasn't been able to practice with the Bills since being drafted. I would be happy just to see him get on the field, let alone be Bryce Paup....

Uh ... no, he is not going to miraculously turning into Paup.

But, for those naysayers on the board ... Batten is one of the new style picks of the Bills in the Buddy era and right now it is way too early to determine if Buddy has it right or wrong but, as I have posted elsewhere, the college resumes of these new defensive players is far different from what we have seen in the past 15 years in relationship to their aggressive play, leadership, and intelligence. Batten looked good in the preseason and his college tape looks great but he has to take that winning attitude (You have to say something about these kids who did the film work while on IR) out onto the field. Right now I am looking at Merriman and Moats as our outside guys (Yes, hope springs eternal re: Merriman's health) but Batten on special teams and coming off the bench may be (let's see) a major improvement over who we have seen the last few years.

By the way ... who is this Maybin character I keep reading about ... I do not recall any NFL player with that name (And, from his new physique ... I am not sure what position his body is built for).

Uh ... no, he is not going to miraculously turning into Paup.

But, for those naysayers on the board ... Batten is one of the new style picks of the Bills in the Buddy era and right now it is way too early to determine if Buddy has it right or wrong but, as I have posted elsewhere, the college resumes of these new defensive players is far different from what we have seen in the past 15 years in relationship to their aggressive play, leadership, and intelligence. Batten looked good in the preseason and his college tape looks great but he has to take that winning attitude (You have to say something about these kids who did the film work while on IR) out onto the field. Right now I am looking at Merriman and Moats as our outside guys (Yes, hope springs eternal re: Merriman's health) but Batten on special teams and coming off the bench may be (let's see) a major improvement over who we have seen the last few years.

By the way ... who is this Maybin character I keep reading about ... I do not recall any NFL player with that name (And, from his new physique ... I am not sure what position his body is built for).

Batten didn't even play in the pre-season...how could he have looked good?

I think this is the point of many posters that get frustrated with these types of posts. We've got people claiming that Batten "looked good in the pre-season", "had a roster spot locked up", and "was clearly one of the top LBs" when the guy completed one week of training camp practices and never played a down of competitive football in the NFL.

"Batten = Paup" is a far cry from "how awesome would it be if Batten could be like Bryce Paup in his prime? I really hope it happens". The latter statement is at least sensible, the former is borderline ridiculous.

I think this is the point of many posters that get frustrated with these types of posts. We've got people claiming that Batten "looked good in the pre-season", "had a roster spot locked up", and "was clearly one of the top LBs" when the guy completed one week of training camp practices and never played a down of competitive football in the NFL.

"Batten = Paup" is a far cry from "how awesome would it be if Batten could be like Bryce Paup in his prime? I really hope it happens". The latter statement is at least sensible, the former is borderline ridiculous.

+1, I think we would LIKE for Batten to become Bryce Paup...But the guy has never even had a training camp, as Bills fans we don't need to be setting ourselves up for even MORE disappointment...At least let him play a little first before making those comparisons..

Dont forget, he didn't even play LB in college...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I step away from the computer for a few minutes and come back to find that you are all ready repeating yourself. Wow. I love how you immediately assume that someone doesn't know what they are talking about because you can't find some internet resource to justify it. Maybe you need to step away from the computer too. You know, get out of the house and find something useful or entertaining to do. I saw Batten in person at training camp and the kid was flat out bringing it. I fully expect you to blah, blah, blah some more on the subject and to further repeat yourself because you don't seem to think before you start ranting.

When you see something with your own eyes, things tend to be more convincing. Batten would have made the team before Moats and it is that simple. Seeing is believing. I'll tell you something else. Batten was projected to be an outside linebacker and was asked to learn inside linebacker last year. He is learning both and there is a very good chance that he will go back to the outside this year. Because of last years injury he will likely have to play second fiddle this year, but if someone goes down, don't be surprised if Batten is the first name called on to fill in.