Should the Bills re-sign Poz

While I appreciate the vote of confidence, I'm not sure my point was very good after reading your pretty thorough analysis of both Poz's and KW's play. I'm interested to know if, in your opinion, Poz is a significant upgrade over guys like Torbor and Davis? Do we lose anything when he is not in the lineup? It will definitely be interesting to see what kind of money Poz is looking for and how much interest there will be for him.

For some reason (don't remember why) I assumed the plan was to stick KW at NT while Troup developed and then move Kyle over to end where he would be better suited. Again, it looks like I was pretty far off the mark. If Troup or the other, who's name need not be mentioned, turn out to be the true 2 gap NT we need, does KW fit into this D? In this hybrid defense did the Bills relegate KW to a part time role player?

Your points are just as valid as mine or anyone else around here. Not to mention funny which is always a plus.

IMO, Poz is better than Torbor and not as good as Davis but that's not saying much. I don't think we'll lose much, if anything at all, by playing someone else next to Davis. Or by playing someone else next to Poz if that's the direction they end up going in. The Bills tendered Poz and Poz DOES want to play in Buffalo so I won't be surprised if they sign him. I'd be surprised if the Bills got into a bidding war though. I can see Jauron and the Browns wanting Poz since DJ chose him in the draft and likes him as an MLB in the 43.

Maybe I'm too old school and set in my ways but I just can't see KW playing end in ANY front, let alone the 34. He may well end up just being a 43 DT in the Bills' schemes if indeed Troupe and the one who's name need not be mentioned pan out as 2-gap 34 NTs. I gotta believe though, that the coaches want to get their best players on the field and KW is part of that equation no matter what front they play. At least at the moment. So, if Troupe looks good I can see the Bills playing more 40 fronts.

Who knows, maybe KW gets moved to DE and sets the world on fire. He certainly won't bust at DE for lack of effort that's for sure.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay I don't want to embarass the guy who wrote this, but I hafta quote this one

"Poz is washed up. He sucks and at age 26, hes far too old. Merriman is only 27 and still young"

CLASSIC LOGIC. Chalk one up for the Cheektowaga School System.....

laughin myAss off

U gotta problum wit da Warriors pal? I playd second string long snapper for all 7 years of highscool. U dont want nun of me pal, un less you like nuckle sammiches in ya face! I bet yous never even playd ball. You probly was on da feeld hocky team so yous cud wear a dress.

Cheektowaga High class of 2000. Well ackchually class of 2002 but I stop goin in da tenfth graid. Dat place was a scam.

Couldn't agree more. Kyle Williams doesn't fit the prototype, and should be the first cut if we're ever going to get better. He's not big enough to play in 3-4 and if I were GM he would be ground into meat to feed the players who are actually worth a damn.

All Poz does is tackle people AFTER they've crossed the line of scrimmage. He reminds me of London Fletcher. Although Fletcher was basically an alternate on every pro bowl team for the last 10+ years, made SI's All-Decade 2000s team, is a tackling machine who never gets hurt, he sucks and we're better off without him. I would also have Poz ground into meat but Jasper doesn't like Polish sausage.

+1 Lets also not forget that Williams was a 5th round pick. I mean how good could he be as a fith round pick? That means all other teams in the NFL passed on him. I say he's not as good as Reggie White, so he has no business on this team. :wallbash:

I think its an obvious yes. If he and his manager are smart then they should understand that, due to his injury history, he probably won't get any better offers than the one he'll get from us. We also need him to mentor Sheppard and that can evolve into a solid core on the inside.

Considering other teams could run at will on us last year its no surprise poz had so many tackles unfortunately most of them were beyond the line of scrimmage resulting in too many first downs and drive continuation. That being said with another year in the scheme and improvement in front of him he should be able to make more plays at or behind the line. Sounds good to me anyways

I hear you, but suppose (and I'm not saying this will be the case with Poz) that said starter wants about 50% more money than the team feels he's worth...do you stick to that sentiment and pay 1.5 times what you feel is appropriate just to avoid having to start a rookie or a journeyman?

I'm not so sure I would, which is why I'd only be in favor of re-signing Poz if he comes at a very reasonable salary (i.e. $3-$3.5M per)...but I don't think he would go for that.

Then you sign him to a one year contract while you find his replacement via someone you drafted or free agency... or you could go old school and trade him to someone who agrees with what the player thinks he's worth and get talent in return.

Then you sign him to a one year contract while you find his replacement via someone you drafted or free agency... or you could go old school and trade him to someone who agrees with what the player thinks he's worth and get talent in return.

In theory that sounds fine, but I find it highly unlikely that you'll convince Poz or his agent that taking a 1-year deal is a good idea. Players on the open market tend to get over-valued, so there will be offers for his services, and they'll be for more than 1 year (and probably significantly more than he's worth).

As for trading him, I think the team would have to do something to retain his rights (assuming we're back to pre-2010 FA rules), and I would have major reservations about slapping the franchise tag on Poz. If he signs the franchise contract quickly we'd have to pay him the average of the top 5 LB salaries in the NFL. If we're debating whether or not to bring him back at all, bringing him back at $8M-$9M per seems like a bad idea.

Just my 1 cent.

In theory that sounds fine, but I find it highly unlikely that you'll convince Poz or his agent that taking a 1-year deal is a good idea. Players on the open market tend to get over-valued, so there will be offers for his services, and they'll be for more than 1 year (and probably significantly more than he's worth).

As for trading him, I think the team would have to do something to retain his rights (assuming we're back to pre-2010 FA rules), and I would have major reservations about slapping the franchise tag on Poz. If he signs the franchise contract quickly we'd have to pay him the average of the top 5 LB salaries in the NFL. If we're debating whether or not to bring him back at all, bringing him back at $8M-$9M per seems like a bad idea.

Just my 1 cent.

The "second contract" is what all players shoot for. I'll say it a little stronger than you did -- there's NO WAY Poz accepts a one-year offer. Still, I believe the interest is there on both sides to work out a 4-5 year deal that gives the Bills a slight "hometown discount."

I think its an obvious yes. If he and his manager are smart then they should understand that, due to his injury history, he probably won't get any better offers than the one he'll get from us. We also need him to mentor Sheppard and that can evolve into a solid core on the inside.

Remember when the Bills signed Kelsey to MUCH bigger contract than necessary? That's what I'm afraid of here. If we can get him cheap, why not...But I think he will be courted by a few 4-3 teams with looser pockets than us and better surrounding players, driving up his price.

Sounds great, but I highly doubt that will happen...26 year old players don't usually have much of an interest in signing 1 year deals, when they could get hurt and cost them future contracts. At this point in their career they are looking for the big, long term pay day (which I don't think he's worth, but a 4-3 team might). There will definitely be teams out there that will want him as a role player, driving up his price. I don't think the Bills need to commit to a "role" player, with the state of this team right now.

Again, if we can get him cheap there is no risk there, so why not...I just don't think he will come cheap (meaning he will cost more than he's really worth).

Edited by Turbosrrgood