In job interviews, when they ask: "do you have any...

do you have a list of generic questions that you usually ask? how about afterwards, they usually say, if you come up with a question in the car, is there anything that is a stock question that is effective in keeping your name at the top of the list? usually i go into interviews with the general questions, day to day functions, how does it fit in with the rest of the organization...blah blah blah, then get into culture and atmosphere with the appropriate people...so normally i don't have 'additional' questions as I feel i was pretty thorough in my research ahead of time. just curious as I had an interview with a series of 3 directors yesterday and am putting together my thank you notes to send.

and no i am not gonna ask bust size or for pictures of hot employees or what the stalking policies are...they all come later

Edited by The Poojer

do you have a list of generic questions that you usually ask? how about afterwards, they usually say, if you come up with a question in the car, is there anything that is a stock question that is effective in keeping your name at the top of the list? usually i go into interviews with the general questions, day to day functions, how does it fit in with the rest of the organization...blah blah blah, then get into culture and atmosphere with the appropriate people...so normally i don't have 'additional' questions as I feel i was pretty thorough in my research ahead of time. just curious as I had an interview with a series of 3 directors yesterday and am putting together my thank you notes to send.

and no i am not gonna ask bust size or for pictures of hot employees or what the stalking policies are...they all come later

I generally ask when can I start using vacation days. :flirt:

From a book I have on interviewing from way back in the day:

"Do you have any question?"

A good question. Almost always, this is a sign that the interview is drawing to a close, and that you have one more chance to make an impression. Remember the adage: People respect what you inspect, not what you expect. Create questions from any of the following:

•  
  • Find out why this job is open, who had it last, and what happened to him or her. Did he or she get promoted or fired? How many people have held this position in the last couple of years? What happened to them subsequently?
  • Why did the interviewer join the company? How long has he or she been there? What is it about the company that keeps him or her there?
  • To whom would you report? Will you get the opportunity to meet that person?
  • Where is the job located? What are the travel requirements, if any?
  • What type of training is required, and how long is it? What type of training is available?
  • What would your first assignment be?
  • What are the realistic chances for growth in the job? Where are the opportunities for greatest growth within the company?
  • What are the skills and attributes most needed to get ahead in the company?
  • Who will be the company's major competitor over the next few years? How does the interviewer fell the company stacks up against them?
  • What has been the growth pattern of the company over the last five years? Is it profitable? Is the company privately or publicly owned?
  • If there's a written job description, may you see it?
  • How regularly do performance evaluations occur? What model do they follow?

Quite of bit of this info should have been covered during the interview, but there's some good stuff in there. I would suggest that you already know if the company is privately/publicly owned - jeeze that's a bad question.

Good luck!

so asking "where the hell did you guys come up with the name QVC" is one i should have avoided?????? :oops:

seriously all those suggestions you gave me were answered or discussed either in the interview, or in advance with the HR screening interview, which i alluded to several times

A good question. Almost always, this is a sign that the interview is drawing to a close, and that you have one more chance to make an impression. Remember the adage: People respect what you inspect, not what you expect. Create questions from any of the following:

•  
  • Find out why this job is open, who had it last, and what happened to him or her. Did he or she get promoted or fired? How many people have held this position in the last couple of years? What happened to them subsequently?
  • Why did the interviewer join the company? How long has he or she been there? What is it about the company that keeps him or her there?
  • What type of training is required, and how long is it? What type of training is available?
  • What are the realistic chances for growth in the job? Where are the opportunities for greatest growth within the company?
  • Who will be the company's major competitor over the next few years? How does the interviewer fell the company stacks up against them?
  • What has been the growth pattern of the company over the last five years? Is it profitable? Is the company privately or publicly owned?

Quite of bit of this info should have been covered during the interview, but there's some good stuff in there. I would suggest that you already know if the company is privately/publicly owned - jeeze that's a bad question.

Good luck!

"Based on what we've discussed would you say that I'm an ideal candidate for this position?" And if not you can ask in what areas are you lacking. It lets them know you're looking for ways to develop, and it gives you good info so that if you don't get this job, if you apply for a similar position in the future you know where the areas of opportunity lie.

Edited by Rob's House

Pooj, good luck w/ it.

No real creative advice to add. When I interviewed, I tried to pull up as much info about the company as I could and then come up w/ specific questions about how recent events or trends had affected the interviewer / company. (Granted, that was a bit more impressive when the research didn't consist entirely of a Google search.)

I thought you had a job? Thank you notes? To much suck up, smacks of desperation.

If not covered in the interviews I usually ask work environment questions - open to flexible scheduling, ability to work from home, is after-hours availability required, that kind of thing. I like to have as much information as possible about how it will be to do that job on a daily basis.

Finish by reiterating your interest and ask for the next steps in the process and when they plan on making a decision.

at the present time i have 2 jobs..one ends tomorrow...new gig starts monday..then all of a sudden a 3rd potential option pops up...where was everyone 2 years ago when i had zero job....apparently the old adage is true...best time to look for a job is when you have a job

I thought you had a job? Thank you notes? To much suck up, smacks of desperation.

LOL, "You are hanging on by a very thin thread and I dig that about you!"

Followed up with a note thanking them for the interview. Did not get the job - responded positively with another note thanking them for considering me and asked them to keep me in mind in the future. A few months later, they called to interview me again. Been working for them since 2005.

•  

Good luck!

This is what fails you at a company like mine. :P

What is the company policy on having a small fridge at my desk? And what is the policy of having it stocked with beer?

This is what gets you a job.

Try "What do you think are the three or four most important things that I would be concentrating on when I first start here?"

LOL, "You are hanging on by a very thin thread and I dig that about you!"

Followed up with a note thanking them for the interview. Did not get the job - responded positively with another note thanking them for considering me and asked them to keep me in mind in the future. A few months later, they called to interview me again. Been working for them since 2005.

Nice!

What is the company policy on having a small fridge at my desk? And what is the policy of having it stocked with beer?

Hey, there's even a fridge! You could put six packs of be...soda in here.

I'm just more amazed that anybody would be interested in hiring you in the first place.