Jim Tressel Resigns

JoeF

First, let me say that I live in Columbus and the city is just turned upside down by this whole thing. Many thought that the initial report was all that there was to it. With the new reports coming out, it just makes Tressel, the athletic department, the school, and the very well liked president look like a bunch of chuckle heads. The athletic department is going for a big hit sanctions and financially.

Wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA (which is a big pot of hypocrisy unto it self) puts the program and/or the athletic department on the brink of the death penalty.

This is the "well liked president" who, in the wake of the breaking scandal in March was asked if he was going to fire Tressel, laughed and answered: "I just hope he doesn't fire me! (heeheehee)".

The perfect man to lead such a proud institution of higher learning.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a farce the NCAA is.

Some kids sell a couple jerseys and awards that they own and a coach loses their job, genius.

Has the car thing come out yet? Or is it still speculation?

The NCAA is a joke. If you saw the recent edition of South Park, you know others agree. Student athletes get a scholarship. In turn coaches, staff and the colleges make millions. It is a scam of major proportions. Time to get with it NCAA. These students deserve a share of the money that is being brought in.

The entire rosters of Top 25 NCAA football & basketball programs.

That's funny I see that roster and see a bunch of kids that get a free education at a school they could only dream about going to if they had to pay for it themselves.

So I say again where is the free labor?

That's funny I see that roster and see a bunch of kids that get a free education at a school they could only dream about going to if they had to pay for it themselves.

That's funny I see many kids that would have gladly gone the minor league football route and be paid for their services while being developed for the NFL. Much like in the MLB and NHL but do not have the option to be paid for their services because the NFL mandates they must work 3 years in their unpaid minor league, called NCAA Football.

Giving a service in return for a service is great if you want the service. A college education is not the goal of many of these players. How many MLB or NHL players have college degrees? Yes some played Hockey or Baseball in college but I think we'd all agree that a vast majority of MLB, NBA, NHL and for that matter NFL players have not earned college diplomas. Forcing 3 years of College Football for many of the players that make it is nothing more than 3 years of unrealized earning potential, and 3 years of wear on their body that will shorten their professional career.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Idiots who jump against the Ohio State University keep their head in the sand 364 days a year. Every school is going through actions like these on some level or another. I know there are some D1 athletes here who will confirm this; no matter the program, no matter the sport, no matter the situation schools break rules. Hell, Dean Smith let so many violations go by that it is a g'damn joke and if you say that to the wrong person you'll get shot.

Tressel cannot be responsible for his athletes off the field no more then he can be on the field. If Pryor wants to slap a player across the face how is Tressel responsible? The same goes for what Pryor does off the field.

I really wonder about Urban Meyer going to OSU because I remember him at BGSU while I was going to UT.

You clearly don't "get it."

And if you're going to spout off about Dean Smith, you'd better bring some facts -- as in "something provable."

That's funny I see many kids that would have gladly gone the minor league football route and be paid for their services while being developed for the NFL. Much like in the MLB and NHL but do not have the option to be paid for their services because the NFL mandates they must work 3 years in their unpaid minor league, called NCAA Football.

Giving a service in return for a service is great if you want the service. A college education is not the goal of many of these players. How many MLB or NHL players have college degrees? Yes some played Hockey or Baseball in college but I think we'd all agree that a vast majority of MLB, NBA, NHL and for that matter NFL players have not earned college diplomas. Forcing 3 years of College Football for many of the players that make it is nothing more than 3 years of unrealized earning potential, and 3 years of wear on their body that will shorten their professional career.

Great post! Id also add:

Indentured Servant

An indentured servant was typically a young, unskilled laborer contracted to work for an employer for a fixed period of time, typically three to seven years, in exchange for transportation, food, clothing, lodging and other necessities during the term of their indenture.[1] They included men and women; most were under age 21, and most became helpers on farms or house servants. They were not paid wages.

The whole definition fits, but the bold parts were just too dead on not to point out.

Great post! Id also add:

Indentured Servant

The whole definition fits, but the bold parts were just too dead on not to point out.

Yeah, it fits...except for the "servants" who go on to the NFL. And the fact that they are not "indentured" (which means bound) in any way.

These kids are free to pay tuition/take out loans and study with the rest of the students and maybe play a little intramural flag football.

Yeah, it fits...except for the "servants" who go on to the NFL. And the fact that they are not "indentured" (which means bound) in any way.

These kids are free to pay tuition/take out loans and study with the rest of the students and maybe play a little intramural flag football.

Most college athletes do take out loans and pay tuition. They're not all under scholarship.

Why So Serious brings up a pretty interesting point. I know the NFL requires college athletes to play for at least 2 years prior to declaring eligible for the draft, but does draft eligibility restrict the existence of developmental or junior leagues, like the NHL and MLB draft from?

Currently, the NCAA is the only way to get to the NFL, and they can assert this control because all NFL players are homegrown. Should football become a real international sport this system would quickly erode.

This is the "well liked president" who, in the wake of the breaking scandal in March was asked if he was going to fire Tressel, laughed and answered: "I just hope he doesn't fire me! (heeheehee)".

The perfect man to lead such a proud institution of higher learning.

He is (was?) very well liked within the Columbus and OSU environment. Personally, I think he was hoping that this issue was limited to the issue back in March. Yes, now it makes him look like a doofus and may put his job on the line, at the moment he is still very strong within the influence of OSU.

You actually think that kids playing for a revenue producing sport at a Div I school get an education? :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I'm sure Ohio State won the recruitment battles for these specific kids based on their stellar engineering program. That's why Disney, Fox & NBC are knocking each other silly in throwing billions at the schools to broadcast the results of the differential equations test.

It's time to end the fantasy that top tier NCAA sports are for amateurs. If that were the case, why does NCAA retain the players' rights during college into perpetuity? Good luck Ed O'Bannon & Sam Keller.

Karma baby, 2003 Fiesta Bowl. Eat it Buckeyes.

Sounds like you're just pissy because your school has been effectively relegated to nothing more than a has been in a low-tier BCS conference.

The big dogs in the ACC (VT, FSU, Clemson), currently all view you guys the same as we view Maryland, NC St, and/or Wake Forest. A nice little program that may win 9-10 games once in a while, but wil never actually contend for anything. Its not your fault, but until Miami gets a new president/AD and a new stadium, their days as contenders are effectively over.

Sounds like you're just pissy because your school has been effectively relegated to nothing more than a has been in a low-tier BCS conference.

The big dogs in the ACC (VT, FSU, Clemson), currently all view you guys the same as we view Maryland, NC St, and/or Wake Forest. A nice little program that may win 9-10 games once in a while, but wil never actually contend for anything. Its not your fault, but until Miami gets a new president/AD and a new stadium, their days as contenders are effectively over.

There is no doubt that the Canes have been bad to mediocre for quite some time. I do think that things are turning around with Golden. I also think that the Canes got screwed with that delayed call by Terry Porter (who was far away) and who made the call even though the ref closest to the play called it incomplete. Just my two cents.

How many kids fresh from High School (some as young as 17) are physically ready for the NFL? Wouldn't this be a potentially dangerous inducement for High School football players to use performance enhancing drugs?

And they get something even more valuable than the education-name recognition. If you're a graduated player for Ohio State with a degree in (insert random major) don;t you think that when submitting resumes for jobs in Columbus/Ohio that being recognized as a Ohio State football player would be a great way to at least land an interview? I read a study somewhere where they actually quantified a dollar value for the name recognition a D1 athlete possesses and it was really amazing.

Edited by TuffButFair

How many kids fresh from High School (some as young as 17) are physically ready for the NFL? Wouldn't this be a potentially dangerous inducement for High School football players to use performance enhancing drugs?

I agree with you that 17, 18, 19, 20, even some 21 year olds arent physically ready for the NFL (which is correctly called a "Man's League"). However, I think the point WSS? was trying to make is that, unlike Baseball and Hockey, there are no minor league or semi-pro leagues for football that a prospect can play in and earn a living while honing his craft. Triple A ball players may not make much, but at least they are making something and are not personally restricted by the NCAA's "money rules".

WEO pointed out in response to my other post that kids do have a choice as they are not bound to a school, but they ARE bound to the NCAA. Or they can sit out and do NOTHING and risk their draft position and letting their skills deteriorate. So their choice comes down to NCAA Football, or nothing.

I agree with you that 17, 18, 19, 20, even some 21 year olds arent physically ready for the NFL (which is correctly called a "Man's League"). However, I think the point WSS? was trying to make is that, unlike Baseball and Hockey, there are no minor league or semi-pro leagues for football that a prospect can play in and earn a living while honing his craft. Triple A ball players may not make much, but at least they are making something and are not personally restricted by the NCAA's "money rules".

WEO pointed out in response to my other post that kids do have a choice as they are not bound to a school, but they ARE bound to the NCAA. Or they can sit out and do NOTHING and risk their draft position and letting their skills deteriorate. So their choice comes down to NCAA Football, or nothing.

You are absolutely correct. And they are willing to do anything to get an NCAA scholarship at a Div 1 program. They don't seem to be complaining. The grad student writing million dollar grant applications doesn't expect to see any of that money in his pocket.

Fitz didn't even get an athletic scholarship. That must have made him a downright Harvard slave.

There is no doubt that the Canes have been bad to mediocre for quite some time. I do think that things are turning around with Golden. I also think that the Canes got screwed with that delayed call by Terry Porter (who was far away) and who made the call even though the ref closest to the play called it incomplete. Just my two cents.

I don't care too much about the title game, but the current admin at Miami is content with having a nice little football program that can win 8 games a year and play in a nice little bowl game on December 28th. The biggest problem the "U" is facing is getting the $ and support to become a big time football school again. Their location and past will always keep them somewhat relevant. But the admin is willing to rest on this and doesn't have the drive to get the team to the top again.

As a 'Noles fan, i love beating the piss out of Miami, but its much more fun when they are good and its an actual rivalry. Not to mention Miami getting back near the top is better for the ACC as a whole.

Edited by Ramius

I don't care too much about the title game, but the current admin at Miami is content with having a nice little football program that can win 8 games a year and play in a nice little bowl game on December 28th. The biggest problem the "U" is facing is getting the $ and support to become a big time football school again. Their location and past will always keep them somewhat relevant. But the admin is willing to rest on this and doesn't have the drive to get the team to the top again.

As a 'Noles fan, i love beating the piss out of Miami, but its much more fun when they are good and its an actual rivalry. Not to mention Miami getting back near the top is better for the ACC as a whole.

I probably told you this before: FSU is obviously a rival and I enjoy when we beat you guys, but I always have respected you guys (mostly because of Bobby - how can you not like Bobby). On the other hand, I cannot stand the Gators. They took the Canes off the schedule and now only play the Canes infrequently. I always root for the Noles when you guys play the Gators.

Edited by Peter