Of the First 5 Players Drafted

155 members have voted

1. 1. Which individual player drafted this year will make the biggest difference ?

• Cam Newton at QB for Panthers in NFC South
    • Von Miller at OLB for Broncos in AFC West
    • Marcell Dareus at DT/DE for Bills in AFC East
    • AJ Green at WR for Bengals in AFC North
    • Patrick Peterson at CB for Cardinals in NFC West

I think all 5 players have a chance to have great success. But I think Newton has the highest bust potential and lowest overall chance of success.

I personally think Dareus, Miller and Peterson will have the most succcess early on (first 2 years) while Green and Newton have a chance to be superstars, but it might take a few years of failure to get their.

It's kind of not fair. It's Cam Newton. Cam will have a big impact either way. If he is a bust the team is doomed for 4 years. If he is a stud the team will be competing in the playoffs next 4 years.

I think the original poster meant positive impact.

I couldn't disagree more. I think Miller lucked out by going to a 4-3 team, because now his weaknesses will be hidden and his talents will shine through. In a 3-4, the opposite would have happened IMO.

I still cant beilive they took Miller over Dareus though. Did anyone else see that video of the Bills draft room when the Broncos took Miller? You can see Buddy doing a fist pump in celebration. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me.

As for as the ogiginal question, Id say Dareus, Miller, Peterson, Green, Newton in that order.

Is there a link to the draft room video?

Cam Newton will be bad for a few years, then the Panthers will have to start over.

Von Miller will be alright, but I don't think he will do well in a 4-3 defense.

Marcell Dareus will be a very good player, but it probably won't show in the stats.

AJ Green will take 2-3 years to become the player he can be, but then he'll start making Pro Bowls regularly.

Patrick Peterson will be good, but will never live up to his potential as a Revis-type shut down cornerback.

There is almost no way that Dareus won't make a huge impact in Buffalo. The Bills front seven on D, outside of Kyle Williams were horrible. The Bills have nowhere to go but up with that unit. Dareus is likely the perfect player for the Bills.

Dareus is likely the perfect player for the Bills.

I truly believe this. I said at the time he was drafted that picking Dareus would atone for the error of passing up on Haloti Ngata.

Also, we didn't have the opportunity to draft B.J. Raji, but now it's a moot point. We have Dareus.

You said "difference." You didnt say "positive difference."

I was neutral on the other 4, but I voted for Cam Newton. I think he will make the biggest positive difference if he is able to learn the playbook and make plays. QB always has a huge impact if he can play. If he cannot play, he will make a huge difference for a franchise that swung and missed 2 years in a row (Clausen was their first pick last year, even though it was in the 2nd round), and that will be a huge negative difference for a team that sucks and needs a lot of help.

Is there a link to the draft room video?

I've been looking for 10 minutes and can't find it. Link, anyone?

And yes, I meant positive impact. Agree that Newton is the most volatile pick.

Astro

I've been looking for 10 minutes and can't find it. Link, anyone?

And yes, I meant positive impact. Agree that Newton is the most volatile pick.

Astro

I do know that it was The NFL Network, and not ESPN, who was given clearance to put a camera in the Bills war room.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Dareus is ready to attack and since the Bills' have been so ineffective these past few years it is clear that if he lives up to his hype he will make the biggest difference out of the top five picks.

Peterson may need some development and may be hurt the most by the labor situation but he will come around because he is an amazing talent!

Green needs a quarterback to excel so we will have to see what the Bengals do.

I continue to not be a major Miller fan and anticipate his sucess will be minimal. As for Newton ... only time will tell.

Just looking to jump in somewhere and I guess Dareus will be the landslide winner in the voting. Even though I voted for Dareus and feel that Dareus may actually be the biggest immediate impact player of the top 5 players...I still realize that having such a vote on a Bills site is going to have slanted results in Dareus's favor.

I would love to see this poll on Profootballtalk.com or somewhere that has national appeal. I think Newton will be learning on the job and will have mixed reviews in his initial year. I think Patrick Peterson has the potential to take this honor as well as A.J. Green, but we still have a long way to go and have to get past the labor dispute!

Immediate value is gonna be corner or wide receiver

Newton could actually end up busting out....which was the big concern about him

Von Miller is third.....and I think is gonna be a very good player regardless of scheme

OK this is the thing and a lot of people have a hard time with this......while Darius wont make the most game changing plays he was absolutely the most NECESSARY player......his presence on the field will allow OTHERS to make plays. You are not going to see mind blowing stats.....but magically mysteriously the team all of a sudden becomes much more stout......running games harder to come by.......etc etc

Good post, John. I was thinking along the same line as well. If the defense goes from worst to top ten, even though Dareus has but 2 sacks all season, then I would say he makes a major impact. I believe a great player can makes those around him better, much like Fitz made the guys around him better last year.

so am i. and as a Bills fan or neutral observer. Dareus is the best fit for Buffalo needs and will have an immediate impact. no matter where he landed. fist pump heck yes. i myself had an oh my gosh moment when miller went at two.and i think yelled a little when we got him.

Cam Newton will be bad for a few years, then the Panthers will have to start over.

Von Miller will be alright, but I don't think he will do well in a 4-3 defense.

Marcell Dareus will be a very good player, but it probably won't show in the stats.

AJ Green will take 2-3 years to become the player he can be, but then he'll start making Pro Bowls regularly.

Patrick Peterson will be good, but will never live up to his potential as a Revis-type shut down cornerback.

Dareus was best case scenario and I am drinking the Kool aide but I think Darues' contributions will be reflected in the stats. I see 4+ sacks a piece from Dareus and Williams as well as significant improvement in the run defense.

Throw in people returning to health, free agency and rookies we could easily jump from worst run defense in the league to solid middle of the pack with some veteran LB coaching from Wansted. The shortened off season could obviously have an impact on the continued effort to make the transition but we may be able to make some surprising strides.

Edited by PDaDdy