Fat-a$$ kicked off train

"Tiggeman, [a weight loss blogger], who once weighed 393 pounds, is down to 268 pounds...But Tiggeman said she does fit in a seat."

No she doesn't. At 268, you're in my seat. Bravo to Southwest and they should not have apologized.

No she doesn't. At 268, you're in my seat. Bravo to Southwest and they should not have apologized.

Depends how tall she is. If she is short, she won't fit at 268... If she is taller, over 6'... It should be no problem. How does she fit in a normal car/vehicle seat? :unsure: :unsure: Shouldn't a normal automobile seat (available area) be the gauge when deciding how to place seats in a plane?

Depends how tall she is. If she is short, she won't fit at 268... If she is taller, over 6'... It should be no problem. How does she fit in a normal car/vehicle seat? :unsure: :unsure: Shouldn't a normal automobile seat (available area) be the gauge when deciding how to place seats in a plane?

268 pound person is fat. 6 foot, 268 is fat but I doubt she's 6 feet tall. No debate permitted unless you're under NFL contract. Now, 268 on the way down from her 360+ is admirable but she's still in my lap. I've had folds in my lap far too many times.

Maybe you missed the photo:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/05/18/another-too-fat-to-fly-controversy-hits-southwest-airlines/

Car seats are gigantic, especially in the US. They should not be the measure of airplane seats.

268 pound person is fat. 6 foot, 268 is fat but I doubt she's 6 feet tall. No debate permitted unless you're under NFL contract. Now, 268 on the way down from her 360+ is admirable but she's still in my lap. I've had folds in my lap far too many times.

http://newyork.cbslo...hwest-airlines/

Car seats are gigantic, especially in the US. They should not be the measure of airplane seats.

TMI :lol:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/05/18/another-too-fat-to-fly-controversy-hits-southwest-airlines/

It's just more cushion for the pushin, and a little more bounce for the ounce :D

"Amtrak does have a policy that riders can’t use cell phones in designated “quiet cars,” like the one in which Beard was riding."

That's hilarious. She was in the quiet car, talked for 16 hours straight, and then felt disrespected when people finally told her "Enough."

Love how it was so "embarassing" and traumatizing at the airport in front of a handful of people, but obviously not too embarassing to share the story with a major media outlet from NYC who also puts it out on the internet. :wallbash:

Why?

I am taller and always have a problem with leg room on planes.

The fact is people are getting bigger (okay, not as short and big as this lady)... As has been the case throughout history. All industries have adjusted... Why aren't the airlines? Say back in the 1800's it was hard to find a mattress over 6 feet... They seem to be common place now. Again, the fact is that people are generally getting bigger as the years pass on. The standard for airlines is gonna have to change.

Again, I am not totally taking this lady's side... She was most likely flopping over... But the policy should be at every gate, in every city... She was on a returning flight... Had no problem on the first flight, SWA didn't even mention the policy on that first flight. What happens if she didn't have enough money to pay right there? Again, I am just pointing out how the policy seems to be arbitrary... And that is where SWA is wrong. You can't just let things slide, don't remind people of a policy, and then spring it on them... That is the unfair part.

Why aren't the airlines? Say back in the 1800's it was hard to find a mattress over 6 feet... They seem to be common place now. Again, the fact is that people are generally getting bigger as the years pass on. The standard for airlines is gonna have to change.

Somewhat different argument. In the case of mattress companies, they are able to construct individual mattresses say 25% bigger for roughly 25% more cost. In the case of airplanes, you've got a finite space to be shared by x # of people. If you put less seats on a plane, you accommodate less people, thereby making the cost/person more. The consumer, and by extension the airlines, want cheap seats & the way to do this is to make seats small so they can fit the max # of passengers on the plane.

Many planes/airlines have "1st class" & "business class" where the seats are larger (& also more expensive). Some don't. Perhaps it should be mandated, but I'm sure you'd still have people complaining about being forced to sit in the "fat section" & pay for the more expensive seat.

Somewhat different argument. In the case of mattress companies, they are able to construct individual mattresses say 25% bigger for roughly 25% more cost. In the case of airplanes, you've got a finite space to be shared by x # of people. If you put less seats on a plane, you accommodate less people, thereby making the cost/person more. The consumer, and by extension the airlines, want cheap seats & the way to do this is to make seats small so they can fit the max # of passengers on the plane.

Many planes/airlines have "1st class" & "business class" where the seats are larger (& also more expensive). Some don't. Perhaps it should be mandated, but I'm sure you'd still have people complaining about being forced to sit in the "fat section" & pay for the more expensive seat.

Good explanantion. The thing people then should remember is that you can't fly SWA if they are too big!