What do you think our starting defense looks like the last month...

..of the season (provided everyone is healthy)?

DE Marcel Dareus

NT Kyle Williams

DE Dwan Edwards

OLB Shawn Merriman

ILB Kelvin Shepard

ILB Paul Posluszny (If re-signed)

OLB Arthur Moats

CB Leodis McKelvin

CB Terrance McGee

SS Aaron Williams

FS Jarius Byrd

DE Marcel Dareus in 3-4/ Merriman in Nickle/Dime

NT Troup in 3-4/ Williams and Dareus in Nickle/Dime

DE Dwan Edwards

OLB Shawn Merriman

ILB Kelvin Shepard

OLB Arthur Moats

CB Leodis McKelvin/Terrance McGee

CB Aaron Williams

SS Whitner (if re-signed) or Wilson or Scott

FS Jarius Byrd

DE Marcel Dareus

NT Kyle Williams

DE Dwan Edwards

OLB Shawn Merriman

ILB Kelvin Shepard

OLB Arthur Moats

CB Leodis McKelvin

CB Terrance McGee

SS Aaron Williams

FS Jarius Byrd

Sounds about right although I think that Aaron Williams will be the Dime or Nickel back and Wilson will start at SS. Byrd needs a SS with experience next to him (Converted from Corner to FS than converted from Tampa 2 to 3-4 a lot of change the last 2 seasons). Wilson seems to up Byrds game.

Florence will also the the Starting Corner instead of McGee (Who will play Nickel) if Florence is resigned.

Also that's the lineup for the start of the season. The last month of the season who the hell knows Merriman won't last the year and Poz will miss 2-4 games minimum. Dwan Edwards is also hurt a lot and McGee gets banged up.

Edited by billsfan89

DE Marcel Dareus

NT Kyle Williams

DE Dwan Edwards

OLB Shawn Merriman

ILB Kelvin Shepard

OLB Arthur Moats

CB Leodis McKelvin

CB Terrance McGee

SS Aaron Williams

FS Jarius Byrd

I like your D except I don't think Williams will start at SS

SS will be Scott or Wilson Starting at the start of the season.

Maybe Merriman will play mainly passing downs. Kelsey will man the end spot if the Bills play some 4-3

In the 4-3..

DE Kelsey

DT Dareus

DT Williams

DE Edwards

LB Poz

LB Sheppard

LB Moats or Merriman or Batten whoever is best against the run.

CB McKelvin ( if they don't resign Florence)

CB McGee

CB(Nickle) Williams

SS Scott or Searcy if he can learn fast enough

FS Bryd

Edited by Bufcomments

DE Marcel Dareus

NT Kyle Williams

DE Dwan Edwards

OLB Shawn Merriman

ILB Kelvin Shepard

OLB Arthur Moats

CB Leodis McKelvin

CB Terrance McGee

SS Aaron Williams

FS Jarius Byrd

I would say that while I'm pulling for Dwan Edwards, I probably would rather see Carrington win the job by season's end I think the Bills would feel the same way. Also, there was the suggestion that Troup could play end in some situations and this is of course not without precedence. Both BJ Raji and Haloti Ngata played 3-4 end more than nose tackle early in their careers. You could have two huge DEs in Dareus and Troup bookending Kyle Willians. That would be an atypical approach… but maybe a very effective one.

I do think we'll see a lot of situation substitution as the staff works to get all the players involved and finding out what each player does best. And I'm talking about guys like Kelsay, Batten, maybe Andra Davis in goal line situations, obviously Wilson and Scott would get a lot of snaps… and you'd hope that Searcy or Chris White might contribute.

As far as the back end, I'm still hopeful that Florence re-signs. I think everyone would like to see McKelvin become the player that he has the physical gifts to become. I agree with the earlier suggestion that McGee play in extra situations even if he's not necessarily covering the slot receiver. He would be a nice piece on passing downs. Byrd became a better run defender but almost a non-factor in coverage in his second year. Hopefully he improves.

I'm pretty excited about this defense.

DE Marcel Dareus

NT Kyle Williams

DE Dwan Edwards

OLB Shawn Merriman

ILB Kelvin Shepard

OLB Arthur Moats

CB A. Williams

CB D. Florence

SS G. Wilson

FS Jarius Byrd

This is the only thing i would change !! I think Mcgee although a good player is hurt to much may be let go ?? Drayton Florence would be a good resign for a veteran presence . Wilson i think is starting material , he blew Donte out of the water 2 years ago when Donte was hurt George is the man !!

DE Marcel Dareus

NT Kyle Williams

DE Dwan EdwardsAlex Carrington

OLB Shawn MerrimanDanny Batten

ILB Kelvin Shepard

ILB Paul Posluszny

OLB Arthur Moats

CB Leodis McKelvinDrayton Florence

CB Terrance McGee

SS Aaron WilliamsGeorge Wilson

FS Jarius Byrd

DE Marcel Dareus

NT Kyle Williams

DE Dwan Edwards

OLB Shawn Merriman

ILB Kelvin Shepard

OLB Arthur Moats

CB Leodis McKelvin

CB Terrance McGee

SS Aaron Williams

FS Jarius Byrd

Nice...Last year we were playing people out of position for where they were drafted.....It was horrible...Marcus Stroud cannot be a DE in a 3-4 defense...Maybin has no clue being a OLB....

Could McGee move to FS to extend his career. If so I would like to move Williams to his natural position and put George Wilson at SS. Leodis gets burnt often...I just don't know if he has in it to become a Starting CB....Also don't forget Drayton Florence...I think he will be back in a Bills Uniform.

I still don't know if our ILBs have the ability to stop the run?

DE Marcel Dareus

NT Kyle Williams

DE Dwan Edwards

OLB Shawn Merriman

ILB Kelvin Shepard

OLB Arthur Moats

CB Leodis McKelvin

CB Terrance McGee

SS Aaron Williams

FS Jarius Byrd

its amazing that most people will not put george wilson in the starting lineup if they had the chance, they would reather put in a rookie from college. seriously though, wilson could have 75 picks this year and still there would be a lot of people saying that he doesnt belong on the field. a good player is a good player irregardless if he was a undrafted wideout or a high pick saftey from a big school.

ILB Kelvin Shepard

ILB Paul Posluszny

OLB Arthur Moats

I take it you are predicting injury to Merriman?

Batten has never played an NFL down. I think we're getting WAY ahead of ourselves penciling him in as anything other than Special Teams at this point. I think he has good potential, but he's not even a lock to make the roster, yet.

Watching Byrd last year, particularly the way he really wasn't tracking the ball well in the air, but was delivering the lumber on hits, I got the feeling he might work well at SS with Wilson filing his slot at FS. Is this crazy? I know Byrd is supposedly a ballhawk / centerfied, but it seems that when they played him closer to the line he excelled last year, and that when he was plaing deep center he took awful angles and never really kept his head up to locate the ball.

DE Marcel Dareus

NT Kyle Williams

DE Dwan EdwardsAlex Carrington

ILB Kelvin Shepard

ILB Paul Posluszny

OLB Arthur Moats

CB Leodis McKelvinDrayton Florence

CB Terrance McGee

SS Aaron WilliamsGeorge Wilson

FS Jarius Byrd

This is exactly what I think. I think Coleman/White will be depth inside as Batten will be depth outside.

To start the season:

DE's - Dareus, Edwards

DT - Williams

OLB's - Moats, Merriman

ILB's - Davis, Puz

CB's - McGee, McKelvin

FS - Byrd

SS - Scott

By the end of the season:

DE's - Dareus, Carrington

DT - Williams

OLB's - Moats, Batten

ILB's - Sheppard, Puz

CB's - Williams, McKelvin

FS - Byrd

SS - Searcy

I would say that while I'm pulling for Dwan Edwards, I probably would rather see Carrington win the job by season's end I think the Bills would feel the same way. Also, there was the suggestion that Troup could play end in some situations and this is of course not without precedence. Both BJ Raji and Haloti Ngata played 3-4 end more than nose tackle early in their careers. You could have two huge DEs in Dareus and Troup bookending Kyle Willians. That would be an atypical approach… but maybe a very effective one.

I do think we'll see a lot of situation substitution as the staff works to get all the players involved and finding out what each player does best. And I'm talking about guys like Kelsay, Batten, maybe Andra Davis in goal line situations, obviously Wilson and Scott would get a lot of snaps… and you'd hope that Searcy or Chris White might contribute.

As far as the back end, I'm still hopeful that Florence re-signs. I think everyone would like to see McKelvin become the player that he has the physical gifts to become. I agree with the earlier suggestion that McGee play in extra situations even if he's not necessarily covering the slot receiver. He would be a nice piece on passing downs. Byrd became a better run defender but almost a non-factor in coverage in his second year. Hopefully he improves.

I'm pretty excited about this defense.

they did not sign edwards to sit him on rush situations i see carrington rushing from one of the OLB positions.

i love our DE situation now with edwards,darius and carrington and i also love our interior of troup/willams and darius.

they did not sign edwards to sit him on rush situations i see carrington rushing from one of the OLB positions.

i love our DE situation now with edwards,darius and carrington and i also love our interior of troup/willams and darius.

I don't agree DJ. I think Edwards is at best, a two-down player… run downs.

As for Carrington, he's a bit stiff and robotic and I don't see him ever playing OLB… JMO.

Speaking only to nickel and dime situations (assuming a 4-man line) , I think you'll see (and it will vary of course) Williams and Dareus as inside rushers, probably Kelsay at one end and either Merriman, Moats, Coleman, or Batten playing the other end spot with one or two of the other three playing linebacker.

One problem I'm starting to see as we develop this discussion is that it looks to me like the Bills don't have an obvious fit for a nickel/dime coverage linebacker. We know Poz and Davis are not coverage players and Sheppard and White both appear to be run-down players.

Regardless, I don't see Carrington or Edwards on the field on obvious passing downs.

I take it you are predicting injury to Merriman?

Batten has never played an NFL down. I think we're getting WAY ahead of ourselves penciling him in as anything other than Special Teams at this point. I think he has good potential, but he's not even a lock to make the roster, yet.

I don't see Merriman making it through the season. I just have a hunch about Batten.