Just over one year ago JaMarcus Russell cut

I think you fail to fully comprehend the sheer magnificence that is Jamarcus' arm. The man can throw the ball 80 yards from his knees. FROM HIS KNEES! He has done more from his knees than any NFL QB since Jeff Garcia.

Don't forget Kyle Boller…he could throw very far from his knees…and Eddie LeBaron was only 5'5" tall…he was as tall as a normal quarterback who was on his knees...

What's the harm?? Bring him in and see what he can do!!!

Well there is harm to be done. You give your team the idea that a) You have no faith in their team leader Fitz, b) You have no idea or plan to get better, and c) You're so desperate you'll try anything. So far Nix & Gailey have acted on a plan to get better. When you start throwing darts, and bringing in JaMarcus Russell, Vince Young, or any other reject from the pile is throwing darts, it sends a bad message to your team.

NFL front offices, believe it or not, generally know more than fans, and if a QB, no matter how high he was drafted, can't get a sniff from UFL team much less and NFL team, then you can bet that guy has nothing to offer.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Not sure what the definition of "highly drafted" is, but Brett Favre could fall into that category as well. High second round.

Favre was traded for a 1st round pick from a team that took him in the 2nd round & had an established veteran QB. That's not letting a guy go for nothing as a bust and the Falcons 1 year certainly didn't ruin him. Highly drafted is 1st 2 rounds.

Well there is harm to be done. You give your team the idea that a) You have no faith in their team leader Fitz, b) You have no idea or plan to get better, and c) You're so desperate you'll try anything. So far Nix & Gailey have acted on a plan to get better. When you start throwing darts, and bringing in JaMarcus Russell, Vince Young, or any other reject from the pile is throwing darts, it sends a bad message to your team.

NFL front offices, believe it or not, generally know more than fans, and if a QB, no matter how high he was drafted, can't get a sniff from UFL team much less and NFL team, then you can bet that guy has nothing to offer.

PTR

You do realize I was joking, right? Still, I appreciate the response for the benefit of the "bring him in and see what he's got" crowd, who have impressively gone almost a week without starting a Vince Young thread.

Lots of young men lose their way, but I wouldn't be surprised Russell becomes one of those stories of redemption where he gets his head screwed on straight, beats the addiction to the syrup and revives his career. With him, it's not the lack of physical talent that ultimately led to his disastrous career.

I wonder if he ever had a clear head while he played, given that there was evidence of his drug use before he was drafted. His problem is drug addiction.

That is, if he survives finally hitting the bottom of his own barrel, which I'm not sure he's hit.

From everything I've read, he was the sort of man who reflected the support structure (or lack of) around him.

This is probably the # 1 reason why there's a lockout.

Ridiculous rookie wage scale & signing bonuses that draft picks are being paid without ever having playing a down in the NFL.

I'll always will remember Al Davis' statement at the press conference when he fired Lane Kiffen ... Davis saying what a great QB Russell is and that Lane should get over it.

:oops:

It is a huge waste of talent. But that's fine. Just helps remind the rest of us what to be wary of. Jamarcus was a lucky piggy that got to wallow in his laziness and yet got millions. Most of us knew what a lazy bastard like him was capable of. Shame on the Raiders for letting him take advantage of them.

Do not dwell on wasted talent. If it's wasted then the one who has the potential isn't deserving. What matters is the one who makes the most of the talents they have. whether they have talent or not. As long as they have the desire.

I see your point tho Beerball. When Jamarcus is on his deathbed years from now what will he think? If he does something good for humanity with his millions then good for him. If he doesn't then shame on him. But I doubt Jamarcus could give a rats azz right now. He's a lazy bastard who milked the Raiders. Shucks, he's lazy and that's what he should be remembered for. Anyone who says he is smart and made out well is not one to be trusted or to watch anothers back.

Edited by Pilsner

He has the talent, he does not have the 'want to'. (should he have been the #1 overall pick? no, but he has talent)

Like having a tonne of skiing potential but living in Libya...

Anyone know what he's up to these days? Seems like he just wanted the money and ran. I rip on Maybin a lot, but the kid really really wants to be a good NFL player. He may lack the talent or ability to play LB, but with Russell it seems like he got his pay day and was like, "thanks, i'm out."