An early look at the QBs in the 2012 draft

I'm of the opinion that Nix and company take a longer view of the draft. I think they knew more (and better) quarterbacks would be available next year. They obviously felt Gabbert was not a franchise quarterback. I think they only had Newton as franchise material.

I look forward to this upcoming season and what Nix and Co. will do next year in the draft.

In a word weak.

After Luck there's really not much.

If Barkley measured under 6'2" he won't go 1st round a la Colt McCoy.

Foles and Cousins are interesting. If Foles has a big year he could go 1st.

Landry Jones is really the only other sure 1st rounder.

In a word weak.

lol. nice spin on the matter. can you be more pessimistic?

lol. nice spin on the matter. can you be more pessimistic?

This whole "Next Year's QB Class" is old and boring.

It was said in 2009 when Bradford, McCoy, Clausen, Tebow, and supposedly Locker were coming out the following year.

It was said last year when Locker, Mallet, and supposedly Luck were coming out.

Now we're all talking about "next year's class" again because of Luck, Barkley, Jones, etc.

Let's see how they look this season and then we'll talk about it.

We needed a second thread?

I thought so. The other thread is about people's opinions. This is a list from someone's whose job it is to know such things. But I see your point.

It was said in 2009 when Bradford, McCoy, Clausen, Tebow, and supposedly Locker were coming out the following year.

I'd want to see anyone saying anything about those quarterbacks that compare to what Bunting said about Luck.

That's right my boy Tannehill atop the seniors list, if we can't get luck then he would fall to us in the middle of the first where we will be picking, finally a replacement for Kelly.

Ryan Tannehill: Texas A&M (6-4, 220)

In my mind he’s the most intriguing senior quarterback prospect in the class. Tannehill only has seven starts under his belt as a QB. However, he’s decisive, accurate and a gifted athlete inside/outside the pocket. He displays a real understanding of the game and I expect him to take off this year as a QB prospect.

This year was a deep year for QB's, the problem was that they were all projected as projects and none projected as immediate starters, like Sam Bradford or Matthew Stafford.

The Bills have way to many holes to fill to be drafting 2-3 year projects at any position, that's what killed Jauron.with his Aaron Maybin selection.

I'm of the opinion that Nix and company take a longer view of the draft. I think they knew more (and better) quarterbacks would be available next year. They obviously felt Gabbert was not a franchise quarterback. I think they only had Newton as franchise material.

I look forward to this upcoming season and what Nix and Co. will do next year in the draft.

Buddy said they have not looked at next years Draft at all for QB's...He said too many things can happen between now and then, and they don't make decisions that way...He was pretty adamant when the question was asked...He answered it pretty clearly...

Just saying... B-)

In a word weak.

:lol:

You do realize Ponder is 6-2 and went #12 Overall right? In what was considered a weak QB Draft we just saw 6 QB's go in the 1st 36 Picks...I'm sure these Kids will do just fine when the 2012 Draft comes along... B-)

I'd want to see anyone saying anything about those quarterbacks that compare to what Bunting said about Luck.

That's just one QB, we're talking about "next year's class" as a whole.

I dont doubt Luck will continue to impress and come into the 2012 draft as #1 (but anything can happen). If that happens, the Bills most likely wont even have a shot at him and we're left looking at the rest of the class. In that scenario, I'd bet that we're right back to where we were last year and this year. Bunch of projects, and guys who are "ok".

This is just my opinion, and I formed it by observing the trend that has been going on for years.

I agree we need to draft a "future QB", and I hope we can find one. But hoping on next year's class this early is a little much. Let's hold off worrying about these guys until next February.

You do realize Ponder is 6-2 and went #12 Overall right? In what was considered a weak QB Draft we just saw 6 QB's go in the 1st 36 Picks...I'm sure these Kids will do just fine when the 2012 Draft comes along... B-)

Just because teams freaked out and started a run on QBs early, doesnt mean they were "worthy" of that pick.

You have pools of players to choose from. When the pool gets low, or starts to drain, teams will step up and take a guy if they think he wont be there in the next round.

QB is a valuable position so it's more likely to have a run on them, but it could very well happen that a run on LBs starts and then the QBs go the next round. Same dif.

Teams react to how other teams draft.

Just because teams freaked out and started a run on QBs early, doesnt mean they were "worthy" of that pick.

I'm not really that interested in which QBs are available next year but you touch on an interesting point.

Never before this season did I hear so many fans/media/execs spouting the now-popular phrase "it's a quarterback-driven league" or it's a "quarterback league" now.

It seems to me that (finally) the adherents to dinosaur football who like to say "defense wins championships" or "power-football wins championships" are on the wane. You still have to be competent in these areas but ultimately offenses need to throw the ball well and defenses need to defend the pass.

Yeah Kansas City ran for 274 yards against us last year but they only scored 13 points.

More and more the NFL is being recognized for what it is…a league where the ball is thrown nearly 60% of the time and where offenses line up in multiple wide receiver sets nearly half the time.

I think the Mark Sanchez tradeup (from 17 to 5) heralded the newest approach to QB drafting and I think that approach will be with us for a long time.

The Jake Locker selection at #8 and the Christian Ponder selection at #12 were shocking. If you look at this year's mock drafts, maybe 1% predicted that either of these QBs would go this high.

It was a consensus that 12 teams were QB needy entering the 2011 draft. Six of those teams invested in QBs in the early rounds.

That means AT LEAST six more teams will be looking at QB next year and that number will grow as it always does…as some veterans get injured or hit the wall and their teams realize that they need to draft the next "franchise QB" sooner than later.

What this means for Bills fans is that the QB Derby will be just as competitive next year as it was this year. If I'm betting, the Bills will take a stab at a QB in the first round next year.

This writer says Luck is the best prospect he has ever seen? How old is he...19?

Wes Bunting went to Elizabethtown College from 2006-2009 for 'Mass Communication & Professional Writing', so I'd say he's closer to about 23 or 24. Still, he can't have seen too many great QB prospects, since he claims to have been "monitoring the college football scene" only since 2002 (when he was about 14?)...

Wes Bunting

Still, if you look at the QB's drafted since 2002 - link - maybe Luck IS the best looking QB prospect that Bunting has seen since 2002!!! (Not too many 'greats' jump out at me from that link.)

Bunting was right on in picking Gabe Carimi to go to the Bears at the #29 spot a month before the draft, but also said Ryan Mallett was a "lock" to go in round one - so, just like most of even the best-informed posters on TSW, Bunting's opinions are 'hit and miss'.

Let's see how in love folks are with Andy Luck this season - if Luck comes even close to his performance last year after losing...

1) 3 starting offensive lineman

2) his top 2 WRs

3) his head coach

4) Owen Marecic

...the I'll be his biggest champion in the 2012 draft.

(Of course, Luck won't look nearly as good in 2011 as he did in 2010 - but I might still be in favor of taking him if it looks like we need a QB...and if Landry Jones is already gone.)

Edited by The Senator

Buddy said they have not looked at next years Draft at all for QB's...He said too many things can happen between now and then, and they don't make decisions that way...He was pretty adamant when the question was asked...He answered it pretty clearly...

Just saying... B-)

:lol:

2011 was not a weak QB class.

2012 is.

In a word weak.

Why? Aaron Rodgers is only 6'2", and he looks okay to me. Not to mention Drew Brees and Michael Vick, who both check in at 6'0" even. I know we've debated this in the past, but I really feel that it's worth mentioning (again) that size isn't the only factor in determining a good football player; skill should probably come into play as well.

I'm not really that interested in which QBs are available next year but you touch on an interesting point.

Never before this season did I hear so many fans/media/execs spouting the now-popular phrase "it's a quarterback-driven league" or it's a "quarterback league" now.

It seems to me that (finally) the adherents to dinosaur football who like to say "defense wins championships" or "power-football wins championships" are on the wane. You still have to be competent in these areas but ultimately offenses need to throw the ball well and defenses need to defend the pass.

Yeah Kansas City ran for 274 yards against us last year but they only scored 13 points.

More and more the NFL is being recognized for what it is…a league where the ball is thrown nearly 60% of the time and where offenses line up in multiple wide receiver sets nearly half the time.

I think the Mark Sanchez tradeup (from 17 to 5) heralded the newest approach to QB drafting and I think that approach will be with us for a long time.

The Jake Locker selection at #8 and the Christian Ponder selection at #12 were shocking. If you look at this year's mock drafts, maybe 1% predicted that either of these QBs would go this high.

It was a consensus that 12 teams were QB needy entering the 2011 draft. Six of those teams invested in QBs in the early rounds.

That means AT LEAST six more teams will be looking at QB next year and that number will grow as it always does…as some veterans get injured or hit the wall and their teams realize that they need to draft the next "franchise QB" sooner than later.

What this means for Bills fans is that the QB Derby will be just as competitive next year as it was this year. If I'm betting, the Bills will take a stab at a QB in the first round next year.

Great post, spot on.

2011 was not a weak QB class.

2012 is.

I would gladly take my choice of the crop of Luck, Jones, Barkley, and Foles (the likely 1st rounders for 2012) over my choice of Newton, Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder (the 1st rounders of 2011). Wouldn't you?

Edited by thebandit27

Now we're all talking about "next year's class" again because of Luck, Barkley, Jones, etc.

Let's see how they look this season and then we'll talk about it.

You are 100% correct. When Tebow, et al, were drafted, the common chant was "next year's crop is much better".

Wes Bunting?? Come on!

You have pools of players to choose from. When the pool gets low, or starts to drain, teams will step up and take a guy if they think he wont be there in the next round.

QB is a valuable position so it's more likely to have a run on them, but it could very well happen that a run on LBs starts and then the QBs go the next round. Same dif.

Teams react to how other teams draft.

Did I say they were "worthy" of being picked there? No...I did not...In fact that was kind of the point...I said they were picked there hinting you better believe it will happen again...That's all...Teams are always going to reach for QB's...Some Folks around here don't need a lesson in how the Draft works...I'm plenty smart enough to figure out the process and the tendencies over the past 40 years...I don't need it explained...But thanks anyway... ;)

Just saying... B-)