An early look at the QBs in the 2012 draft

Why? Aaron Rodgers is only 6'2", and he looks okay to me. Not to mention Drew Brees and Michael Vick, who both check in at 6'0" even. I know we've debated this in the past, but I really feel that it's worth mentioning (again) that size isn't the only factor in determining a good football player; skill should probably come into play as well.

Really? You need to address the obvious statement?

If Matt Barkley measures UNDER 6'2" he will not go in the first round.

He doesn't have Michael Vick's skill and Drew Brees didn't go in the first round either.

I'm not saying he can't win games in the NFL which Colt McCoy was able to do with his limited starts.

I am making a pretty sound claim. If Barkley measures at 6'1' NFL teams are going to be very leary to make him a first round pick.

There is really no reason to take issue with that and try to make a counter claim, you need only look as far as Colt McCoy to see what happens to a winning college QB that measures under 6'2". Barkley has more of an arm than Colt but none the less I don't think he would be a top 15 pick. Its a huge concern for QB's as NFL lineman average around 6'4"+.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Boy..I think with QB's especially you want that senior year body of work to look at before you even speculate on making a first round or even second round selection. Newton/Ponder/Locker/Gabbert and others kind of moved significantly based on their senior year and tournament and bowl play as well as the combine. I'd keep my eye on them, but I would be more interested in offensive and defensive linemen and tight ends for this team. I agree with a previous poster that you can never have enough linemen, and you get to look at any number of them who might have a bad senior year, or miss their senior year.

Really? You need to address the obvious statement?

If Matt Barkley measures UNDER 6'2" he will not go in the first round.

He doesn't have Michael Vick's skill and Drew Brees didn't go in the first round either.

I'm not saying he can't win games in the NFL which Colt McCoy was able to do with his limited starts.

I am making a pretty sound claim. If Barkley measures at 6'1' NFL teams are going to be very leary to make him a first round pick.

There is really no reason to take issue with that and try to make a counter claim, you need only look as far as Colt McCoy to see what happens to a winning college QB that measures under 6'2". Barkley has more of an arm than Colt but non the less I don't think he would be a top 15 pick. Its a huge concern for QB's as NFL lineman average around 6'4"+.

Except that you seem to draw the line of having first-round ability down to being 6'2" versus, say, 6'1", and yes, I take issue with that statement. The guy either has first-round ability or he doesn't. If he shows an NFL arm, sound decision making, good enough pocket presence, and good enough accuracy, he'll go in the first round even if he's 6'1". It's no different than when I disagreed with your guarantee that Jake Locker wouldn't go in the top 50 this year...talent typically wins out; that's all I'm saying.

Edited by thebandit27

Except that you seem to draw the line of having first-round ability down to being 6'2" versus, say, 6'1", and yes, I take issue with that statement. The guy either has first-round ability or he doesn't. If he shows an NFL arm, sound decision making, good enough pocket presence, and good enough accuracy, he'll go in the first round even if he's 6'1". It's no different than when I disagreed with your guarantee that Jake Locker wouldn't go in the top 50 this year...talent typically wins out; that's all I'm saying.

I contend Colt McCoy had NFL arm, sound decision making, good enough pocket presence, and good enough accuracy but went in the 3rd round.

Matt Barkley has NFL arm, sound decision making, good enough pocket presence, and good enough accuracy. It can all be moot if Markley turns out to be 6'3". He is still a young and man and still growing.

Yes I'm surprised a team took Locker that high. It'll be interesting to see how soon they regret the pick. It looks like he may be starting sooner than later in Tennessee.

Edited by Why So Serious?