Would You Take 8-8 or 3-13 and the #1 Pick in '12?

Despite getting good reviews on their draft, I have heard or read at least a couple of places (SI, Kiper) that expect the Bills to have the #1 pick next year. So, as a Bills fan, what would you rather see happen in 2011:

A. The Bills show good progress and finish 8-8 or a Jauron-esque 7-9, showing solid progress on both sides of the ball.

B. They go 3-13 and end up with the #1 pick in the draft.

There are a couple of other interesting scenarios that could develop. A year ago, Jake Locker seemed like a lock for the #1 overall pick (and Ryan Mallett was talked about being right there with him). So now Andrew Luck loses his head coach, what if he has a down year and talk about him being a "system QB" surfaces?

The other thing is that people are already talking about Luck, Matt Barkley and Landry Jones as top 10 picks. Does that bode well for the Bills?

I know there's free agency and a small detail called a labor agreement to get ironed out but what should we be hoping for?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite getting good reviews on their draft, I have heard or read at least a couple of places (SI, Kiper) that expect the Bills to have the #1 pick next year. So, as a Bills fan, what would you rather see happen in 2011:

A. The Bills show good progress and finish 8-8 or a Jauron-esque 7-9, showing solid progress on both sides of the ball.

There are a couple of other interesting scenarios that could develop. A year ago, Jake Locker seemed like a lock for the #1 overall pick (and Ryan Mallett was talked about being right there with him). So now Andrew Luck loses his head coach, what if he has a down year and talk about him being a "system QB" surfaces?

The other thing is that people are already talking about Luck, Matt Barkley and Landry Jones as top 10 picks. Does that bode well for the Bills?

I know there's free agency and a small detail called a labor agreement to get ironed out but what should we be hoping for?

If there is no football this year, (lets hope there is) but lets say there isn't going to be any football this year. Isn't the draft order the same as 2011? If so I wouldn't mind that because, Carolina already has there QB of the future, Denver would probably want some more D and they still have Tebow (and even if they didn't want Tebow) we would have Barkley or Luck sitting right there for us. But I say lets play some football. I am always for showing improvement. You play to win the game..

If there is no football this year, (lets hope there is) but lets say there isn't going to be any football this year. Isn't the draft order the same as 2011? If so I wouldn't mind that because, Carolina already has there QB of the future, Denver would probably want some more D and they still have Tebow (and even if they didn't want Tebow) we would have Barkley or Luck sitting right there for us. But I say lets play some football. I am always for showing improvement. You play to win the game..

I'll never get sick of reading the same question, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and...

8-8 with progress (not 7-9) would be much better than 3-13. The amount of progression that the team would take on both sides of the ball to improve from worst rush D in the league and from a 4-12 record would move this franchise forward light years.

The lack of player development that would have to occur for the team to go 3-13 would do far more damage than drafting Luck would help. I know there are going to be a lot of guys who think picking a QB 1st overall would solve all of our problems but there isn't a panacea out there for this team.

While the player development that would occur in an 8-8 season would move this franchise forward a lot.

Edited by billsfan89

We can show great promise and still go 3-13. This team is bad, We lost ugly and won ugly last year. If we lose well this year we can make progress, get Luck and go from there.

Really? How? I'm figuring that a LOT of draft picks from the past 2 years would have to seriously underachieve in order for the Bills to be picking 1st overall next spring. And if that's the case, then I will start to doubt the direction of this team under Nix and Gailey. Even if we get to 1st overall solely due to injuries, then we have an injury-prone roster on our hands.

Some of you guys take the importance of a franchise QB to extremes. There are still 52 other players on a roster; those guys matter too. Wouldn't it be far easier (and more fun) to root for Fitzpatrick developing into a very good QB while filling in the remainder of the pieces at OL, TE, and OLB via free agency and maybe another solid draft?

Hell, for all we know Luck will pull a Brian Brohm this fall. Or maybe he will sustain a concussion that turns him into mush like that previous Stanford QB who lost his mojo and did nothing but check down for the rest of his career. Those are the factors you really need to consider before supporting this franchise QB brinksmanship.

There. I've said my piece. Now digest and discuss.

Do not want to go thru another losing season. Hopefully we can get a late first round prospect like Aaron Rodgers ( had we drafted Tebow last year we wouldn't have this problem).

Doesn't matter what I think. We should now have the talent (inexperienced as it is) to go 7-9, perhaps 8-8. and if i'm lucky 9-7) But bottom line is we'll be improving no matter which record we get. We have young talented players that will be getting xp. If Fitzy goes down early then we have a good chance for a high pick, perhaps #1. If that is so, then so be it. But I do not want our team giving up no matter what and sacrificing the aspects it takes to win. I have this stupid unexplainable bad feeling about Matt Barkley (I know nothing so far about Landry). For now in my mind it's either go for Luck or wait til the year after. In any case, don't reach for a qb. If Luck is labeled a "system qb" after this coming college season, and if he slides then the better for us. Chan will know how best to coach him up. We should target the qb who has shown the most quality consistency in a tenure longer than one college season.

Why mess around? Just go 0-16 every year and get the 1st pick.

If there is no football this year, (lets hope there is) but lets say there isn't going to be any football this year. Isn't the draft order the same as 2011?

I think I heard they would establish the draft order by lottery ::cry:

"Success gets to be a habit, just like anything else a fellow keeps doing"

If you want to build a winning culture - you have to win, so's everyone can see what it takes and get motivated to do whatever it takes to win more

Edited by Hopeful

Would you take 8'-8" or 3'-13" up your arse? Where do you freaking people come from?

8 & 8. Need to see some progress. Can't suffer thru another lost season. Need some confirmation gailey is in the right track. Way too early to throw the season for draft order.

Geesh Joe. I thought you had better character than that. Wheres the Senator when you need him.

16-0 or don't bother playing on my team.