Drafts over. What free agents should we go after?

We all had our fantasy draft picks, only one of mine came true, my #1. I am really disappointed my #2 did not get picked, he was available. We still need a decent blocking TE with good hands. How about you, what free agents do you want the Bills to go after? And why?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all had our fantasy draft picks, only one of mine came true, my #1. I am really disappointed my #2 did not get picked, he was available. We still need a decent blocking TE with good hands. How about you, what free agents do you want the Bills to go after? And why?

Bo Scaife...He fits a need, and your description. Looks to me like he's the best TE available, and one of the only names that is worth going after. I went 1 for 9 myself, but I can't say I'm disappointed in any way. Anyone know what the deal is regarding the ability to sign UDFA's?

Edited by Armchair GM

Bo Scaife...He fits a need, and your description. Looks to me like he's the best TE available, and one of the only names that is worth going after. I went 1 for 9 myself, but I can't say I'm disappointed in any way. Anyone know what the deal is regarding the ability to sign UDFA's?

I don't know about Scaife. He wouldn't be a terrible addition, but he's 30 and hasn't been as effective the last few seasons. I would imagine Zach Miller and Kevin Boss are better available tight ends.

My short list:

QB: Tyler Thigpen or Tarvaris Jackson - both mobile QBs with experience that can win a few games if needed

TE: Matt Spaeth - solid blocking TE with good hands; comes from a winning culture in Pittsburgh

OT: Tyson Clabo - nasty RT that is a bona fide starter

DE: Trevor Pryce - veteran 5-tech that can teach Dareus and lead in the locker room, plus he'll come cheap

LB: Kirk Morrison - solid-but-unspectacular inside LB, could be a perfect fit in a 3-4

All this assuming a new CBA and not 2010 free agent rules:

CB Drayton Florence, let's get this guy resigned.

TE Matt Spaeth, great size and blocker, hasn't had an opportunity in the passing game in Pitt

SS Eric Weddle, if Donte isnt retained.

QB Brodie Croyle, has experience under Chan, still perhaps a shred of upside.

OLB Matthias Kiwanuka, has an injury history so could actually be a viable option, just don't have faith in Moats to hand him the starting job.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

I don't know about Scaife. He wouldn't be a terrible addition, but he's 30 and hasn't been as effective the last few seasons. I would imagine Zach Miller and Kevin Boss are better available tight ends.

Can you give me a link to the list of URFA's that you are referring too. The one I'm looking at doesn't have many of the other players mentioned in the responses to this post...??

While the Bills could use some "Miller Time"; I think Boss would be a better fit. We could also look at getting the TE from VA Tech, Andre Smith. He is undrafted, 6' 5" - 285 lbs, can block & has good hands.

Wow, I have to admit I never saw Andre Smith on the radar. I checked him out. He sounds like a great prospect for the Bills. Anyone know much about him?

Can you give me a link to the list of URFA's that you are referring too. The one I'm looking at doesn't have many of the other players mentioned in the responses to this post...??

I'm not a huge fan of the site, but walterfootball has nice lists on free agents that is easy to use.

ALL OF THEM !!

Especially someone who can hold the edge in the run game and rush the passer when it is found that Merriman really retired 3 years ago when he hurt his knee and got off the juice.

My short list:

QB: Tyler Thigpen or Tarvaris Jackson - both mobile QBs with experience that can win a few games if needed

TE: Matt Spaeth - solid blocking TE with good hands; comes from a winning culture in Pittsburgh

DE: Trevor Pryce - veteran 5-tech that can teach Dareus and lead in the locker room, plus he'll come cheap

LB: Kirk Morrison - solid-but-unspectacular inside LB, could be a perfect fit in a 3-4

BAM! This alone makes the offseason a resounding success.

My short list:

I agree with all these additions - With QB and OT being the most important. And more LBs can't hurt.

I have to believe that Nix have someone targeted to rush off of the edge in FA. If he's counting on Merriman and Moats, Brady will be enjoying another holdiay in the pocket.

Waiting on guys like Maybin, Batten and Coleman to develop is just wishful thinking too. When San Diego was at their best, Merriman and Phillips were dominant and made a bad secondary look good. For some reason, Nix has passed at the chance to address that position in the draft two years in a row.

Obviously Dareus will help and combined with KW could be lethal inside but collapsing a pocket is only effective if your edge rushers can constently get up field.

Look at the last couple of teams in the SB, most had dominant outside pass rushers, why Nix is not making this priority continues to astound me.

Wow, I have to admit I never saw Andre Smith on the radar. I checked him out. He sounds like a great prospect for the Bills. Anyone know much about him?

Here's the run down....excellent blocker, special teams ace. Made a name for himself as an offensive weapon his senior year. A bit of an inspiring story as well, here's a link Andre Smith

I had this kid on my radar for a while. He's kinda like Witten, not the fastest guy in the world, but can get open. He's a big kid that may present some match up issues.

I'd put him on my list of UDFA's right next to Nick Bellore, ILB, CMU.