Atlanta tried to move up to #2

Hate to start a firestorm of dissent when everyone seems pretty content with the draft…but this is a good discussion.

Rather than speculate as to what they would have offered the Bills, let's start the conversation with the trade offer that Cleveland accepted…which would mean the Bills traded the #3 pick for #27, #59, and #124 as well as Atlanta's 1st and 4th rounder next year.

If we assume what you guys are saying... Marcell Dareus for Cameron Heyward (who I loved), what damage could the Bills have done armed with #59 and #124 this year in addition to a 1st and 4th next year?

Also, Nix admitted that the Bills fielded trade offers at the top of the 2nd round.

This actually might have been one of those years (and it's not always possible) where the Bills could have actually stockpiled picks.

Probably would have traded up from 27 for Jordan.

Neither Heyward or Jordan would have inspired the fans.

I think Buffalo wanted Newton or Dareus, if they were gone we would have traded.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Like who: moss or Owens? those guys are way pastvtheir prime and represent too much chemistry risk for s team on the edge

Joe, i guess ill put it this way.... you take that trade package to any team in the league and how many players are off limits? how many receivers? Maybe fitzgerald and andre johnson? brandon marshall was a pair of seconds, vincent jackson could be a single first? i know they both have baggage.

what receivers are off limits with even just the pair of firsts offered, without all the other picks?

Any of the guys that truly get you over the edge like desean, fitz, Johnson (Andre or Calvin) are off limits. Marshal is not their league. Anyway it doesn't matter since no CBA meant no trades for vets.

fiiine... take the day the cba ends, you sign vincent jackson, or trade a 1 and a 4. basically you are saying jones has to be a top 3-4 receiver immediately for it to be worthwhile, but he wasnt even the top receiver in this draft class. do you kind of get what im saying? for what they gave up, they got poor value. plan b should be much cheaper than that.

Agree jones was most likely not the guy to do this for. Disagree any team trades a coveted wr like jackson or Johnson for 1st round picks. Guys like that simply aren't traded. People will say wlll heschel. But the reality is Dallas knew herschel was limited and didn't see him as off limits

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Agree jones was most likely not the guy to do this for. Disagree any team trades a coveted wr like jackson or Johnson for 1st round picks. Guys like that simply aren't traded. People will say wlll heschel. But the reality is Dallas knew herschel was limited and didn't see him as off limits

thats why ive said from the start, there are maybe a small group of wide receivers that would have that trade turned down, but its VERY limited.

even a guy like fitz with one year left on his deal would probably warrant more discussion than you think if that trade was on the table.

desean has the concussion issue and is due a big contract.

andre and calvin are about the only ones that are truly very tough calls. remember this is 2 first rounders, a second, and 2 fourth rounders!

also, when thinking about this, the last time a trade like this happened, the 9ers walked away with jj stokes. just saying. all these sure things in the draft are really coin flips. aj green and julio are both tremendous talents, but odds are one of them doesnt end up reaching 100 catches in his career, yet alone in a season.

ill take my chances on a vet for less if im the falcons.

baaaaack to the topic though. this is a close call for the bills. i think there are two ways you turn this down - a rare qb, or a rare lineman, as you cant get those outside the top half of round one. if marcell is a rare talent, then we did well staying put. there are only so many people his size, yet alone with freakish athleticism. he has the ability to transform a team.

Edited by NoSaint

Hate to start a firestorm of dissent when everyone seems pretty content with the draft…but this is a good discussion.

Rather than speculate as to what they would have offered the Bills, let's start the conversation with the trade offer that Cleveland accepted…which would mean the Bills traded the #3 pick for #27, #59, and #124 as well as Atlanta's 1st and 4th rounder next year.

If we assume what you guys are saying... Marcell Dareus for Cameron Heyward (who I loved), what damage could the Bills have done armed with #59 and #124 this year in addition to a 1st and 4th next year?

Also, Nix admitted that the Bills fielded trade offers at the top of the 2nd round.

This actually might have been one of those years (and it's not always possible) where the Bills could have actually stockpiled picks.

You are assuming that the Bills can now actually evaluate talent properly considering the last decade of drafting failure...lets not forget that not one player from last years draft became a starter. Then consider the fact that when asked what would have happened if Darius was gone when Buffalo picked, Buddy Nix stated they would have looked longer at Blane Gabbert.

I'm ecstatic that Darius fell to the Bills the way he did AND the fact that they had him at the top of the board along with Cam Newton After ten years of drafting futility Big D might be that proverbial acorn the blind squirrel finds.

Edited by Harvey lives

ill take my chances on a vet for less if im the falcons.

A team that has won 33 games over the past 3 seasons and it's division isn't really "taking chances" in the draft. It's a bit of house money they are playing with.

If they figure they're one player away from winning a championship does it really matter what give up? Especially in the era of FA?

You forgot that this is also the era of injuries. Hopefully Julio doesn't get injured this season. In a way that would be like drafting 5 players and having them all injured at the same time based on what they gave away to get him. I am not saying that it was a bad move, but we will know how smart this move really was come playoff time.

You forgot that this is also the era of injuries. Hopefully Julio doesn't get injured this season. In a way that would be like drafting 5 players and having them all injured at the same time based on what they gave away to get him. I am not saying that it was a bad move, but we will know how smart this move really was come playoff time.

Bills 2010 draft?

I personally liked that they stayed at #3 and selected what is believed to be one of the, if not THE best player in the draft. It truly gives this defense something to build around. In regards to accumulating as many picks as possible to fill holes, I don't think that you do that with all rookies. You need some veteran leadership, which is who for the Bills. You draft for great talent, not for mediocre spot fillers and you develop what you have and pick up veteran leadership through FA. I think the Bills got it right this year.

POW!!!!

A team that has won 33 games over the past 3 seasons and it's division isn't really "taking chances" in the draft. It's a bit of house money they are playing with.

Sure they're taking a chance.

I am more curious about trade offers in round 2. Bellichick said that he was fielding offers. He drafted a corner and the qbs were still there when we were up.

We will probably never know, but my guess is that some sort of offers were out there.

Buddy said the Bills received "about 15 calls before every round." His philosophy is clearly one of not moving down -- like it or not. He explained, "you move down because you think you can still get a guy, and then that guy isn't there."

If they figure they're one player away from winning a championship does it really matter what give up? Especially in the era of FA?

I think it's pretty funny that all of the draft pundits are praising Atlanta's GM for taking this risk, when it's really not that much of a risk if you believe your team is just one more weapon away. The question is whether that analysis of Atlanta is correct. Their defense looked pretty average against Green Bay in the playoffs.

If Jones doesn't develop into a solid starter immediately, look out...

Before the draft, I believed the Bills had their sights set on Dareus or Miller and that only if both of them were gone would they trade down, probably intending to land Cam Jordan as a "consolation prize." But Dareus was there and they took him. I think it was the right call in the Bills particular situation.

My biggest disappointment was that Ponder wasn't available at #34. But what the hey...

I am cool with the Bills having stayed put. Moving down from 3 to 27 is a major nosedive, and as such there would have been no way of evaluating who would have still been on the board at that time. By staying put, they assured themselves of drafting a blue chipper, which is what they did with MD.