Atlanta tried to move up to #2

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://profootballta...2-overall-pick/

It also says they tried to trade up to #4. No specific mention of the Bills, but it would seem likely. It'd be interesting to know if and what the offer to the Bills was

"The offer would have been adjusted for the higher pick, so the Broncos could have brought in a bigger haul than the Browns received."

"The offer would have been adjusted for the higher pick, so the Broncos could have brought in a bigger haul than the Browns received."

I heard they were trying to offer the same deal as they gave to the Browns at No. 4 as well. Not sure about No. 2

Hate to start a firestorm of dissent when everyone seems pretty content with the draft…but this is a good discussion.

Rather than speculate as to what they would have offered the Bills, let's start the conversation with the trade offer that Cleveland accepted…which would mean the Bills traded the #3 pick for #27, #59, and #124 as well as Atlanta's 1st and 4th rounder next year.

If we assume what you guys are saying... Marcell Dareus for Cameron Heyward (who I loved), what damage could the Bills have done armed with #59 and #124 this year in addition to a 1st and 4th next year?

Also, Nix admitted that the Bills fielded trade offers at the top of the 2nd round.

This actually might have been one of those years (and it's not always possible) where the Bills could have actually stockpiled picks.

WTF didn't they offer us something for 3 to get ahead of the bungholes and take green? IMO green towers over jones and would have been worth shooting their wad over.

Frankly, I dont get the trade. If giving up two firsts, and then some.... Outside of maybe Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson... Is any receiver worth that? The could trade for whoever they wanted in the league but instead rolled the dice. On their second choice.

Frankly, I dont get the trade. If giving up two firsts, and then some.... Outside of maybe Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson... Is any receiver worth that? The could trade for whoever they wanted in the league but instead rolled the dice. On their second choice.

If they figure they're one player away from winning a championship does it really matter what give up? Especially in the era of FA?

And that's the thing. While some have come out and defended Dimitroff, most of the opinion I've heard criticizes the trade from the Atlanta perspective, which means that most people thought Cleveland got the better deal.

In that context, it also might mean that the opinion would be that the Bills "won" that trade had they accepted the same offer from the Falcons that the Browns did at #6.

It's one of the draft's little subplots that the Buffalo media hasn't yet reported on.

WTF didn't they offer us something for 3 to get ahead of the bungholes and take green? IMO green towers over jones and would have been worth shooting their wad over.

Most people would agree with you on this one, Jones had the incredible measurables at the combine but Green is the man as far as actual football is concerned.

If they figure they're one player away from winning a championship does it really matter what give up? Especially in the era of FA?

Dimitroff gets cut a lot of slack because of his Executive of the Year awards.

But the team is average defensively. They had needs at pass rusher (Abraham had a great year after a down 2009 season and he'll turn 33 years old in a couple of days. Offensively, Michael Turner has a lot of mileage and wear on him…Tony Gonzales is on his last legs if he decides to even play this year.

My point is that Green Bay scored 48 points on the Falcons in Atlanta in the playoffs.

I'm not sure how many people would agree with Dimitroff that they're one player away.

And that's the thing. While some have come out and defended Dimitroff, most of the opinion I've heard criticizes the trade from the Atlanta perspective, which means that most people thought Cleveland got the better deal.

In that context, it also might mean that the opinion would be that the Bills "won" that trade had they accepted the same offer from the Falcons that the Browns did at #6.

It's one of the draft's little subplots that the Buffalo media hasn't yet reported on.

Pick value, and player value are not the same thing. Trading up for a qb would have framed it differently than trading up for the second best receiver.

Also- taking the best receiver at 3 is more valuable than the second best at the same cost at 6.

Edited by NoSaint

When you can get a proven receiver for less? I would care. If your one player away, I'd be cool with getting 2-3 good players in exchange for those picks, and being even better. Especially since their first choice was gone.

Pick value, and player value are not the same thing. Trading up for a qb would have framed it differently than trading up for the second best receiver.

Also- taking the best receiver at 3 is more valuable than the second best at the same cost at 6.

Not sure what your point is…I agree that pick value and player value are not the same…the question remains the same:

Let me frame it this way: how would Bills fans feel if they knew that the Bills turned down the same trade as the one Cleveland accepted?

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Not sure what your point is…I agree that pick value and player value are not the same…the question remains the same:

Let me frame it this way: how would Bills fans feel if they knew that the Bills turned down the same trade as the one Cleveland accepted?

There was a thread on that a couple days ago. I think it included a poll.

I would have done the trade.

When you can get a proven receiver for less? I would care. If your one player away, I'd be cool with getting 2-3 good players in exchange for those picks, and being even better. Especially since their first choice was gone.

Like who: moss or Owens? those guys are way pastvtheir prime and represent too much chemistry risk for s team on the edge

Word is they were trading up to get Green, the best WR in the draft AND a hometown kid, as Atlanta is full of UGA alumni/fans. Atlanta wouldve wanted Green real bad for the PR alone. I think teams ahead of the Bengals couldve commanded much more than the Browns got.

That being said, Im glad the Bills stayed put and got Dareus. I think he'll be the anchor of our defense for the next decade, and be a completely dominant player. I dont know that I could say that about anyone we took at 23. It's just a different talent level.

However, if we couldve got next year's 1st and 3rd, that could be our trade ammo to move up to #1 and get Luck? I dont know, that's a LOT of maybe/couldve/might happens...

I also think the Falcons trading up to still get Jones even after Green was gone was a great move. Bold, aggressive move to push their playoff team into the next level. The Falcons are a Super Bowl contender this year, if they can make it out of the tough NFC South.