Any interest in trading for Flynn or Clausen?

Im curious if it was a risk free scenario on vince young. Bring him on a small contract see what Chan can do with him with vy knowing he's coming in as a backup. Probably to much for him to wanna sign here. But u never know

The problem is, there's no such thing as a risk-free scenario on Young. You have the potential to create a QB controversy, you have the potential to have major coach/team distractions like he created with the Titans, etc.

As for the rest of them, it all comes down to the cost. Kolb? No way, not unless the Eagles have come way down on their demands.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody interested in potentially trying to trade for Matt Flynn or Jimmy Clausen?

Would the Bills have traded Reich during the SB years? No way, right? Same answer on Flynn trade.

After being drafted halfway through the 2nd round, Clausen had such a stellar rookie year that Carolina 1) drafted 1st 2) used their pick on a QB.

Trade something for this guy? No thanks.

Now....free agent Matt Moore would be on my short list of QB to consider, esp. if it's true Marc Bulger is headed to Arizona. We'll see if the Bills feel the same.

Apparently, we're satisfied with our QB of the future. If that doesn't pan out, they are watching Losman and Rob Johnson and hoping they remain available...

Would the Bills have traded Reich during the SB years? No way, right? Same answer on Flynn trade.

After being drafted halfway through the 2nd round, Clausen had such a stellar rookie year that Carolina 1) drafted 1st 2) used their pick on a QB.

Trade something for this guy? No thanks.

Now....free agent Matt Moore would be on my short list of QB to consider, esp. if it's true Marc Bulger is headed to Arizona. We'll see if the Bills feel the same.

That makes no sense. You wouldn't want Clausen because the team drafted a QB to replace him. Yet, you would like Moore, who Caolina thought so highly of, they drafted Clausen to replace him.

The Bills were "stupid" not to draft Clausen. He was so freakin' awesome the Panthers picked a QB #1 the very next draft! So now the Bills are supposed to bail out a team dumb enough to listen to the draft experts by taking their trash off their hands, and give up something for the privilage?

PTR

:worthy: Promo, once again you are right on!!

To me it is baffling the love affair that so many on this board have for Claussen. He wasn't ready for Prime Time last year when the GR Whiners wanted him and he still isn't. To trade away something the Bills have for someone who is not that good makes absolutely no sense ...

If they cut Jimmy Boy, which is a possibility given his spoiled little boy attitude, then perhaps at a minimum salary he might be worth a look.

To me it is baffling the love affair that so many on this board have for Claussen. He wasn't ready for Prime Time last year when the GR Whiners wanted him and he still isn't. To trade away something the Bills have for someone who is not that good makes absolutely no sense ...

If they cut Jimmy Boy, which is a possibility given his spoiled little boy attitude, then perhaps at a minimum salary he might be worth a look.

Still no. Go find a play Clausen made last year that was good. Some kids look great in the pros and just can't cut it at this level.

See Brohm, Brian

Nowhere in this thread was there a love affair with Clausen. I simply asked if we had any interest in him should he become available, since Buddy and Chan said they planned to add a QB to the roster and the pickings in UFA seem pretty slim unless you want to bring back JP or Trent.

No, I would like them to get Bruce Gradkowski signed honestly, I think he is a decent back up and some one Chan could work with. Don't trade for it, when you can get one free. There is another draft next year.

Edited by bowery4

I would say yes to Clausen, he stunk his first year at ND too and every year he got better. I know he sucked last year on a brutalteam but the Bills need a back up QB and could do worse than someone who has some game experience and upside. Clausen is a hard worker and is driven, the small amount the Bills would have to give up to get him would be worth it. He has an NFL arm and maybe in the right situation could be an NFL starter which is more than I can say for the Bills current backups.

Edited by agardin

No, I would like them to get Bruce Gradkowski signed honestly, I think he is a decent back up and some one Chan could work with. Don't trade for it, when you can get one free. There is another draft next year.

I agree. Gradkowski might make a good pickup

If the Bills didn't like Clausen enough to draft him, why would they trade for him?

Matt Flynn would maybe be worth a flier. I also would kick the tires on Kevin Kolb

What exactly is the fascination with Kevin Kolb? If you look at his career statistics he's done less than Fitzpatrick. I wonder if Philly fans are saying "hey, we should offer Buffalo some picks for the Amish Rifle"!

That makes no sense. You wouldn't want Clausen because the team drafted a QB to replace him. Yet, you would like Moore, who Caolina thought so highly of, they drafted Clausen to replace him.

What part of it doesn't make sense? We're talking about pulling in a proven capable backup for Fitz, right, not

I can try to spell it out more clearly:

Part One: the cost of doing business

1) if we want Clausen, we have to trade for him. That means we give up something - either a player or a draft pick - and we pay his salary

2) if we want Moore, he's a free agent. We negotiate with him and we pay his salary.

Cost of taking a chance on Moore << than cost of taking a shot on Clausen

Part Two: demonstrated NFL fitness

1) Clausen 1-9 52.5% completions, 1 TD, 3 INT, QB rating 58.4. One can argue that Carolina last year was not a fair test, in which case the best verdict is "unproven"

2) Moore career 7-6 57.9% completions, 16 TD, 3 INT QB rating 57.9. One can argue that Carolina last year was not a fair test, in which case in 2009 he looked capable: 4-1, 61.6% completions, 8 TD 2 INT, QB rating 98.5

Which of the two looks more like a proven capable backup QB with decent support around him?

Looks like Moore to me. More proven, less cost = better

Anything else I can help explain? Folks may disagree with me and do, which is cool. Folks may not understand, me bad not always clear in explaining. It's also cool to be given a tad credit more than "makes no sense" "contradicting yourself" Though I guess around here I should be happy to just avoid insults? (not talking about you, Mad)

Flynn showed decent potential last year in relief of Rodgers, Green bay has no reason to let him go anywhere. Clausen or Kolb would be no help to the Bills... If they are going to shop around it may as well be for an upgrade at QB.

I could be wrong but I don't think Bills will be looking for an upgrade at QB in FA.

#1 I don't think there's a FA upgrade that's realistically on the market

#2 If there is, he's in his twilight years (Hasselbeck, Bulger)

#3 Doesn't seem to fit with the Bills plan

I think they will look for a capable backup to avoid embarassment in case the surprisingly-durable Fitz goes down, and also look for a project player - a small school UDFA QB who could be a sleeper.

I think they will avoid QBs who might be restless on the bench and cause controversy in the locker room such as Alex Smith and Vince Young.

But of course I could be wrong.

I wouldn't mind taking Clausen if we could get him for a low pick. But really, I'd rather see us sign a FA Qb to back up fitz. We need somebody that may actually be able to help us win a game if Fitz is hurt. I'd love to get Vince Young as that backup if possible.

I saw Clausen play against the Seahawks last year and he looked really good in the first half. The the Seahawks starting sending more pressure than the weak Carolina line could handle and he caved. I don't think you can write him off because he was a rookie starting on a really bad team, worse than the Bills.

There's not way on god's green earth Green Bay is gonna trade Flynn. They only had 2 QBs last year, Rodgers and Flynn. You don't get to be SB Champs making bone headed moves like that.

I'd give a 5-7 for clausen for sure. 6-7 for flynn.

Just because we didn't draft clausen in Rd 1 or 2 last year doesnt mean we weren't interested in him. Just because he sucked last year, doesn't mean he will suck for his entire career. We need a backup. If we don't pick one up on FA, we need to acquire one. If Levi brown was the qb playing for Carolina last year, I'm pretty sure we'd be saying we don't want him on our team this year. Clausen is the better qb, and if it only costs us a low pick to acquire a QB that actually has a chance to be a solid starter, pull the trigger. If you hate clausen, fine with me. But don't dare say Levi is a better option for our #2 qb than clausen. Haters will be haters. Right now, we have THE worst backup QB in the league, and it's not even close.

Got to admit his tweets about Cutler kinda turned me off him. Then I admit, I haven't understood the interest previously expressed here about Gradkowski. He's never broken 55% as a passer in the pros, his career record is 6-14, and he's thrown more interceptions than TD. Is it his college reputation?

It is a point that under Chan, he might improve and in Tampa then Oakland, he may not have had much to work with.

I'd still rather have Moore or (believe it or don't) Seneca Wallace.

I agree, don't trade for a backup, look carefully at free agents.

Right now, we have THE worst backup QB in the league, and it's not even close.

Hmmm, can you help me understand this viewpoint? Brohm looked like a deer in the headlights, when Brown came in at the very end of the Jets blowout, I thought he didn't look hopeless. Even the announcers commented "that was a good pass!".

That's also the only time we've seen him 3 passes and 2 completions. Not much data. Are we sure he's worse than the Chicago backup situation? The Colts backup situation? Absolutely every other backup situation?

Reminds me of people last year saying "we have THE worst starting QB in the league" about Fitz and similar stuff. Um, no.

Don't get me wrong, not saying at all we shouldn't try to improve our backup through FA. Not sure it's the worst though I'm willing to be persuaded by data?

If the Bills didn't like Clausen enough to draft him, why would they trade for him?

Matt Flynn would maybe be worth a flier. I also would kick the tires on Kevin Kolb

Because even if they liked Clausen they needed a 1st round pick to take him in 2010, while it would take a low round (maybe) to take him now? also don't judge Clausen based on his rookie year when he didn't even have a decent WR to throw to.

About Kolb, I think the Eagles will ask a steep price for that guy, based only on a fist full of games...just sayin... :flirt:

Edited by Kent H Jr