why did ralph tell everyone we will draft a franchise qb?

Guest FUKK THE BILLS

Guest three3

granted, right after he said it fitzpatrick started to play better. but why let the whole world know your intentions? i really hope the bills do not stand by ralph's promise. fitzp can be our trent dilfer, let's fill the rest of the holes on the roster and not reach for a qb just because ralph said the franchise qb would be taken in this draft

Edited by three3

granted, right after he said it fitzpatrick started to play better. but why let the whole world know your intentions? i really hope the bills do not stand by ralph's promise. fitzp can be our trent dilfer, let's fill the rest of the holes on the roster and not reach for a qb just because ralph said the franchise qb would be taken in this draft

Wait, so you expect the Bills to build one of the top 5, if not the best defense in the history of the NFL? Do you also expect us to find the next greatest TE of all time, a superior OL and a 2000 yard RB to go along with the greatest D of this generation?

Yeah...thats much easier than just finding a better QB...LMAO

I hope that nobody is dumb enough to pay you to think.

Wait, so you expect the Bills to build one of the top 5, if not the best defense in the history of the NFL? Do you also expect us to find the next greatest TE of all time, a superior OL and a 2000 yard RB to go along with the greatest D of this generation?

Yeah...thats much easier than just finding a better QB...LMAO

i think hes saying he believes fitzy can get us to the superbowl with the right pieces around him…and you dont need a top 5 all time defense, you just need the right defense at the right time.

Better question: Why didn't the Bills just trade their 1st round pick to Denver for Tim Tebow? Just as you advocated a couple of weeks ago? Oh, wait, because that would be dumb, just like this topic.

Guest three3

Better question: Why didn't the Bills just trade their 1st round pick to Denver for Tim Tebow? Just as you advocated a couple of weeks ago? Oh, wait, because that would be dumb, just like this topic.

you will be eating crow in a couple seasons when tebow is a pro bowler. tebow is better than cam and every other qb in this draft. i see a ton of busts in this qb class

i think hes saying he believes fitzy can get us to the superbowl with the right pieces around him…and you dont need a top 5 all time defense, you just need the right defense at the right time.

And the greatest TE in NFL history, a beast of an OL with a bruising 2000 yard RB.

Trent barely got there with all of that plus one of the nastiest defenses in history...

Its is VASTLY more difficult to try and win the SB by building a great D and ignoring your below average QB. Not to mention, to it takes one man to play QB, so you only have to be right about a single player...it takes many good to great players to make a great D making it much more difficult to not only build that D, but to keep it in tact as you build it in this era of free agency.

And the greatest TE in NFL history, a beast of an OL with a bruising 2000 yard RB.

Trent barely got there with all of that plus one of the nastiest defenses in history...

Its is VASTLY more difficult to try and win the SB by building a great D and ignoring your below average QB. Not to mention, to it takes one man to play QB, so you only have to be right about a single player...it takes many good to great players to make a great D making it much more difficult to not only build that D, but to keep it in tact as you build it in this era of free agency.

i just wanted to be contrarian. i agree.

If the Bills were going to reach for a QB, they would have picked one last night. Before Fitz started to play better we really needed a QB. Ralph just said what we were all thinking. It was pretty obvious at the time.

you will be eating crow in a couple seasons when tebow is a pro bowler. tebow is better than cam and every other qb in this draft. i see a ton of busts in this qb class

I didn't even know that Tebow liked bowling let alone going pro.

Guest three3

If the Bills were going to reach for a QB, they would have picked one last night. Before Fitz started to play better we really needed a QB. Ralph just said what we were all thinking. It was pretty obvious at the time.

but there was NOTHING to gain from it. so why do it? keep it private if you are sending your gm on the scouting trails in search of a qb to draft in 2011. a lot to lose by tipping your hand, absolutely nothing to gain.

but there was NOTHING to gain from it. so why do it? keep it private if you are sending your gm on the scouting trails in search of a qb to draft in 2011. a lot to lose by tipping your hand, absolutely nothing to gain.

you should have a nice, cleansing cry about it. get aaaaaall those bad feelings out, wash your face and see how you feel. i'm guessing you find you feel better. :)

Agree but nothing to lose either. To me it wasn't a big deal. Every team in the league knew we needed a QB.

Guest three3

Agree but nothing to lose either. To me it wasn't a big deal. Every team in the league knew we needed a QB.

look at who is picking before the bills tonight. don't you think they are shopping the pick to a team in need of a quarterback or linebacker. it would screw the bills over and the pats would accumulate even more picks.

look at who is picking before the bills tonight. don't you think they are shopping the pick to a team in need of a quarterback or linebacker. it would screw the bills over and the pats would accumulate even more picks.

That could happen anyway. It is not a big secret the Bills would like to upgrade at QB but so would many other teams. I respect your opinion but think you are making this much bigger than it is.

Edited by nucci

I don't think anyone listens to what Ralph says anymore, and they shouldn't. He doesn't even know what day it is or where he is anymore, all he knows is how much money he has in this bank accounts.

Im supposing it was out of frustration.

I will ask this though; Did the Andre Reed tweet force the Vikes to draft Ponder? I think it may've. And if it did, its twice in a row (Jim Kelly/Tebow) that a team reached (IMO) on a QB based on reported interest from the Bills.

Did Denver say they drafted Tebow because he went to dinner with Jim Kelly? I missed that. I seriously doubt a team reached for a quarterback because a retired wide receiver living on the west coast tweeted something about his old team on the east coast. Like they said on ESPN this morning, the Vikings got nervous because QBs were coming off the board earlier than expected with Locker going to the Titans and they reached for Ponder.

Guest three3

You do know that this wasn't a 'secret' before Ralph said anything? It was also a 'remark' not a strategy

if ralph had said nothing most of the league would assume the bills are moving forward with fitzpatrick as the guy after his surprise year. what is fitzp like 29 years old? that's not old. he has at least 5 more good years left, minimum

if ralph had said nothing most of the league would assume the bills are moving forward with fitzpatrick as the guy after his surprise year. what is fitzp like 29 years old? that's not old. he has at least 5 more good years left, minimum

I guarantee you that Ralph's post-game comments from Oct 11, 2010 had absolutely no effect on last night's draft. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Dont worry about it.

Guest three3

I guarantee you that Ralph's post-game comments from Oct 11, 2010 had absolutely no effect on last night's draft. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Dont worry about it.

this isn't about last night. it is about tonight and possibly tomorrow

this isn't about last night. it is about tonight and possibly tomorrow

Has no effect on the entire draft. there.

Anyone who thinks we're in the market for a QB would know it regardless. Water is wet.

Edited by DrDankenstein

You are absolutely correct about this. A franchise QB elevates the level of your entire team. If, prior to the playoffs, Aaron Rodgers had gone down with a season-ending injury, and had been replaced by a Dilfer-like backup, there's no way that Green Bay even thinks about a Super Bowl win! They'd be lucky to make it to the divisional round of the playoffs in a scenario like that!

Once you have a franchise QB, you can basically ignore the QB position in the early rounds of the draft for the next ten+ years. That allows you to focus on building other aspects of your team without significant new draft-day investments at the QB position. During that ten+ year period, that franchise QB will significantly enhance your team's efforts every year; much like Manning does for the Colts or Brees does for the Saints.

Imagine two teams trying to win the Super Bowl. Team A contents itself with Dilfer-like QBs, and focuses the next ten years on trying to build a Ravens-like defense, OL, etc. Team B acquires a franchise QB in year one or two of its plan, and focuses the following eight years on building a defense + offensive supporting cast as good as the Packers of 2010, or that of the Patriots teams that won those three Super Bowl rings. It's much, much easier to acquire Packers/Patriots/Saints-level talent at the non-QB positions than it is to build a Ravens of 2000-like defense + OL. The team with the franchise QB is therefore much more likely to succeed in winning the Super Bowl than the team with Dilfer at QB that's attempting to replicate the Ravens' defense of 2000.

Mr. Wilson made his comments to The Associated Press during the Bills bye week, in the midst of the team's dreadful 0-8 start, when it was clearly evident at the time the team was in need of a franchise quarterback. Expectations and needs however changed, given how Fitzpatrick proved better than serviceable down the stretch and provided the offense a semblance of cohesion while also earning Gailey's respect for understanding the system.

That didn't mean the Bills stopped looking for a franchise guy. And that was apparent when they seriously entertained the possibility of drafting Cam Newton if he was there at No. 3.

There was also much consideration put into selecting Blaine Gabbert if both Newton and Dareus were taken with the first two picks.

The Bills, however, went with Dareus, because they felt he has the best potential to be "a franchise" player.

And for those who have criticized Mr. Wilson for being meddlesome, this is a clear example in which he let the people he hired make that decision. Did Mr. Wilson have input? Sure. Dareus, however, was a consensus choice, from what I understand.

jw

Mr. Wilson made his comments to The Associated Press during the Bills bye week, in the midst of the team's dreadful 0-8 start, when it was clearly evident at the time the team was in need of a franchise quarterback. Expectations and needs however changed, given how Fitzpatrick proved better than serviceable down the stretch and provided the offense a semblance of cohesion while also earning Gailey's respect for understanding the system.

That didn't mean the Bills stopped looking for a franchise guy. And that was apparent when they seriously entertained the possibility of drafting Cam Newton if he was there at No. 3.

There was also much consideration put into selecting Blaine Gabbert if both Newton and Dareus were taken with the first two picks.

The Bills, however, went with Dareus, because they felt he has the best potential to be "a franchise" player.

And for those who have criticized Mr. Wilson for being meddlesome, this is a clear example in which he let the people he hired make that decision. Did Mr. Wilson have input? Sure. Dareus, however, was a consensus choice, from what I understand.

jw

Good stuff John. Where are you enjoying the draft from? The Ralph?