Investigation into rising gas prices

The President has directed the Attorney General to launch an investigation into speculators, perpetrators of fraud, and other forces powering the increase in gas prices. Must be the Vice President was taking another nap....

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The President has directed the Attorney General to launch an investigation into speculators, perpetrators of fraud, and other forces powering the increase in gas prices. Must be the Vice President was taking another nap....

Is he really looking at the gas prices or oil prices or is this just a joke?

So is that your rationale for why Europe has been paying prices higher than this for decades?

Was this question for me? I was simply posting a link about the OP, but I'd be happy to answer it...

Good.

Doc,

It's really not speculation as in something pernicious, it's the fact that they have turned the futures markets into something that allows anyone to bet on commodities via ETFs. Anyone can now buy an ETF which trades like a stock, but the value of which is based on futures contracts--paper, based on another piece of paper, based on the possibility of taking delivery...

The futures markets no longer function like they were meant to because they are now overwhelmed by these so-called "investors," which is pushing prices up. This is why the airlines are complaining. I can't see Wall Street losing this one though...

Doc,

It's really not speculation as in something pernicious, it's the fact that they have turned the futures markets into something that allows anyone to bet on commodities via ETFs. Anyone can now buy an ETF which trades like a stock, but the value of which is based on futures contracts--paper, based on another piece of paper, based on the possibility of taking delivery...

The futures markets no longer function like they were meant to because they are now overwhelmed by these so-called "investors," which is pushing prices up. This is why the airlines are complaining. I can't see Wall Street losing this one though...

I agree with all of what you said. But even if it's a waste of money looking into it because Wall Street won't lose, I'd rather it be done than saying "oh well." There is no reason gas prices should be $4 a gallon when there is NO shortage of oil, and on the contrary, OPEC will be cutting back on production.

Edited by Doc

Doc,

Speculators only temporarily drive up the price unless there are sufficient economic factors that sustain the prices at those supposedly inflated levels.

Cut gasoline taxes.

That's it? So then what do you say to States who say they need that revenue? That would still only bring it down to what $3.30 - $3.50. Not good enough.

Edited by pBills

That's it? So then what do you say to States who say they need that revenue? That would still only bring it down to what $3.30 - $3.50. Not good enough.

More like $3.00-$3.25. But really, if you want to be "fair" about it and punish the people who are gouging the consumer most...

But seriously...you're assuming prices need to be lower, which is quite frankly a breathtakingly asinine assumption for anyone who wants to promote a change over to cleaner but more expensive energy technology that can't even compete with current "inflated" oil and gas prices. :wacko: People want gas prices to be lower...but increase taxes on it to fund alternative energy that can't compete with cheap gas...but your increased taxes can't increase the prices of gas? How the !@#$ is that supposed to work?