Why I believe the Gailey wants to trade down

Virgil

First of all, I believe the Bills will stay at 3 and would be happy with whoever they get.

However, I think Gailey is hoping that some team will come along and make him an offer he can't refuse. I only say this in response to the two comments he made over the past 24 hours around wanting to stay at #3 and it being a perfect time to draft a QB. I think he is trying to generate concern that he will take someone's person and get the panic going for other teams.

Again, I know that this is the time where you can't believe anything you hear. And again, I think they will ultimately stay at 3. But, I also doubt that Gailey is the only straight shooter about what his team wants in the draft.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I believe the Bills will stay at 3 and would be happy with whoever they get.

However, I think Gailey is hoping that some team will come along and make him an offer he can't refuse. I only say this in response to the two comments he made over the past 24 hours around wanting to stay at #3 and it being a perfect time to draft a QB. I think he is trying to generate concern that he will take someone's person and get the panic going for other teams.

Again, I know that this is the time where you can't believe anything you hear. And again, I think they will ultimately stay at 3. But, I also doubt that Gailey is the only straight shooter about what his team wants in the draft.

Incredible insight. Have you not read the other 15 posts saying the same thing?

Again, the teams that want gabbert would try and trade up with denver, ahead of us. Why would they take the chance to let gabbert fall to us and have us decline the trade because we want him. I just don't understand the philosophy, unless they are doing so so they can get Denver out of the 2nd spot so we can draft Dareus. Sire, there's a chance they can't work out a deal with Denver and they'll call us, but I can't see Denver not accepting a deal in which they trade down a couple spots and get someones 2nd, maybe more.

gailey can want whatever he wants. but i think Nix is the boss and as much input gailey has im pretty sure nix calls the shots. while ralph is not butting in.

Ralph is the boss. No questions asked

Trading down is very hard. Teams don't want to invest in top 5 money for an unproven college kid. The Bills may want to trade down bur they need a partner first. That's not easy.

Trading down is very hard. Teams don't want to invest in top 5 money for an unproven college kid. The Bills may want to trade down bur they need a partner first. That's not easy.

From what I've read its not Gailey making the picks this year, he has stated its all Buddy Nix. If Buddy Nix was wide awake during last years draft he could have traded back and fixed the O line in one year by selecting both Brian Bulaga and Rodger Saffold. Lets face it, CJ Spiller was a wasted pick at this point for the amount he contributed last season.

If Buddy Nix is awake for this years draft HE WILL trade back, the reason is very clear to me.... 20 million dollars guaranteed to a rookie who may or may not be a blue chipper. Unless Nix scouts these first 10 players and KNOWS himself that a blue chip player will be drafted with that #3 overall, then go for it. If the guy has any doubts about any players that will be there after Carolina and Denver make their selections, then trade back and still get that DE AND RT and save the Bills all that guaranteed money.

Lets say that Carolina selects Darius, and Denver selects Von Miller, at that point Buffalo is left with DB Peterson... If they choose not to take the CB, then trade with Washinton or another team with a top 15 pick. Meanwhile with 10 DE's first round worthy they could draft a DE with the first pick and they trade back up and take a OT or a TE, Kyle Rudolph.

If Von Miller is there at #3 then the Bills will select him, if he is gone then trade back and get that DE, OT or TE

From what I've read its not Gailey making the picks this year, he has stated its all Buddy Nix. If Buddy Nix was wide awake during last years draft he could have traded back and fixed the O line in one year by selecting both Brian Bulaga and Rodger Saffold. Lets face it, CJ Spiller was a wasted pick at this point for the amount he contributed last season.

If Buddy Nix is awake for this years draft HE WILL trade back, the reason is very clear to me.... 20 million dollars guaranteed to a rookie who may or may not be a blue chipper. Unless Nix scouts these first 10 players and KNOWS himself that a blue chip player will be drafted with that #3 overall, then go for it. If the guy has any doubts about any players that will be there after Carolina and Denver make their selections, then trade back and still get that DE AND RT and save the Bills all that guaranteed money.

Lets say that Carolina selects Darius, and Denver selects Von Miller, at that point Buffalo is left with DB Peterson... If they choose not to take the CB, then trade with Washinton or another team with a top 15 pick. Meanwhile with 10 DE's first round worthy they could draft a DE with the first pick and they trade back up and take a OT or a TE, Kyle Rudolph.

If Von Miller is there at #3 then the Bills will select him, if he is gone then trade back and get that DE, OT or TE

That is the problem with the Bills, it's all about saving money, not about competing for the title. I hope the cheapskates trade down, get a bunch of good but not quite ready players, stink it up again but grow this season and get to draft Luck next year. that is the best we can hope for with these money first, team second franchise

Washington would be our best trade down , by the value chart we could get their 1st this year #10 and 2nd rnd #41 this year "and" their #1st rnd. pick in 2012.

I could see this trade happen .

My mock would then have us take Cam Jordan at 10,Martez Wilson at 34,Kyle Rudolph at 41,Dontay Moch at 68, CB and OT in the 4th rnd,and BPA after that.

Well it could happen....Go Bills.

Oh I forgot , Redskins then go 3 and 13 and we draft Luck next year.

For the life of me, I'll never understand this board's infatuation with trading down.

First, there's the issue of what kind of sense it makes for a lousy team to trade out of a prime spot. Yes, sometimes teams do it and pick up an extra pick or two; that doesn't mean it's a great strategy. Why on earth would a team that hasn't had a top 5 pick in 9 years, despite performing dreadfully in perpetuity, waste the opportunity to get a top 5 talent? There couldn't possibly be a good excuse for doing it.

Secondly, there's the idea that teams actually want to trade up. Folks, there's a reason that there's been exactly 1 trade involving a top 5 pick since 2004 (the Jets moving up for Sanchez). Teams simply don't want to give up draft picks (considered a premium in the league) for the chance to give $30M+ in guarantees to an unproven player.

Lastly, there's this idea that--for some reason--it's more acceptable to draft certain players/positions later than others. That, in my mind, is hogwash. If a guy can be a difference-maker, just pick him; don't screw around and risk missing out on him. If you think, for example, that J.J. Watt or Cameron Jordan is the best option for your team, take him at No. 3. Five years from now, we'll only care if he was the right pick, not if we picked him at No. 3 or No. 12.

Sorry if this sounds like an attack, but if someone can please explain to me why they think that trading down is the end-all, be-all of draft strategies, I'm listening.

/rant over.

Show me proof that Nix didn't try and trade down? Or are you just throwing crap at the wall and hoping something sticks? Brian Bulaga? Isn't that the same guy that failed miserably as a guard for the Packers and only started because of injuries?

I love how it's so easy to trade a top 3 pick these days. I guess the fact that there is no CBA makes things so much more easier. :wallbash:

no matter the year, no matter the inclination, if there is a team watering at the mount for a Gabbert, a Von Miller, a Peterson or an AJ Green and their guy lasts for the first two picks, there is a good possibility they will come to us. I think that trade will be made on draft day with very little notice. I suspect there will be some very interesting phone calls between picks two and three.

Pretty smart post.

I think we like the trade down because we all know we have many holes that need to be filled by quality people.

If I were drafting, I wouldn't mind dropping from 3- 5 or even 6 and pick up a extra 2nd round pick.

I think we have to realize that we can't fix everything in 1 year, it takes a while for rookies to perform.

But if we stay where we are at 3 and pick Miller, I think we need to get 2 DT as we cut Stroud and didn't re-sign McCargo.

O.T we had better pick 2 of them as well, because our RT situation is bad bad bad with the dudes we got.

We need another CB, McGee is getting old and were not sure if Florence will re-sign in Buffalo.

We also need a ILB who hits like a truck.

Our last 2 picks - are nothing more than meat for training camp and wont make the team at 7th round picks. But Maybe another corner and ILB

Notice we didn't address the QB- that is next year, we go heavy defense this year, and maybe next year somehow we get Andrew Luck to fall into our laps.

I think we like the trade down because we all know we have many holes that need to be filled by quality people.

If I were drafting, I wouldn't mind dropping from 3- 5 or even 6 and pick up a extra 2nd round pick.

I think we have to realize that we can't fix everything in 1 year, it takes a while for rookies to perform.

But if we stay where we are at 3 and pick Miller, I think we need to get 2 DT as we cut Stroud and didn't re-sign McCargo.

O.T we had better pick 2 of them as well, because our RT situation is bad bad bad with the dudes we got.

We need another CB, McGee is getting old and were not sure if Florence will re-sign in Buffalo.

We also need a ILB who hits like a truck.

Our last 2 picks - are nothing more than meat for training camp and wont make the team at 7th round picks. But Maybe another corner and ILB

Notice we didn't address the QB- that is next year, we go heavy defense this year, and maybe next year somehow we get Andrew Luck to fall into our laps.

I understand, but my point is this: when you drop down, even a few spots, you're denying yourself the chance to draft an elite player. If you want to fill talent gaps on this team, isn't it better to go after a top-notch player than risk missing out on him for the chance to get another lesser-talent later?

Also, there's no way that dropping down 2 or 3 spots is going to net a 2nd round pick. If Buffalo moved from 3 down outside the top 10, then there's a chance of nabbing an extra 2nd rounder, but now you've really put yourself outside the top tier of talent.

And if you believe what you say, that you can't fix everything in one year, why worry about getting an extra pick and missing out on an elite talent? Just get the best players you can get with the picks you have, and re-assess after 2011.

I'm gonna go get the papers...get the papers. "C.Biscuit - 2 Times"

I honestly don't believe that the Bills have any intention of selecting a QB at #3. I believe that they are doing their absolute best to give other teams (i.e., Arizona, San Fran, Washington, etc...) the impression that we really like Newton and Gabbert. If when draft day comes around the phone rings, and they get a reasonable offer from one of these teams, I think they will pull the trigger and trade back in the 1st. I have mentioned before that I think the most likely scenario is a trade back with San Fransisco.

A lot will depend on whether or not Newton goes to Carolina at #1. Then Denver will have the option to take the best player in the draft (because Newton is not that player), so I do not believe they will be willing to move down. That means that Gabbert conveniently slides to #3 and the offers come pouring in. At least that's how it plays out in my little fantasy world.

I understand, but my point is this: when you drop down, even a few spots, you're denying yourself the chance to draft an elite player. If you want to fill talent gaps on this team, isn't it better to go after a top-notch player than risk missing out on him for the chance to get another lesser-talent later?

Also, there's no way that dropping down 2 or 3 spots is going to net a 2nd round pick. If Buffalo moved from 3 down outside the top 10, then there's a chance of nabbing an extra 2nd rounder, but now you've really put yourself outside the top tier of talent.

And if you believe what you say, that you can't fix everything in one year, why worry about getting an extra pick and missing out on an elite talent? Just get the best players you can get with the picks you have, and re-assess after 2011.

I disagree with this....elite players can be found out of the 1st 5 picks....and Nix has already said they wouldn't trade out of the top 10

There are SEVERAL guys who would help this team immediately in that range

- Robert Quinn.....this guy would start for us immediately

- Cam Jordon.....might be the best 3-4 end in this draft

- JJ Watt.....he might also be the best 3-4 end in this draft

My point on all this is with our needs there are guys that could help us immediately....like start from day one

I disagree with this....elite players can be found out of the 1st 5 picks....and Nix has already said they wouldn't trade out of the top 10

There are SEVERAL guys who would help this team immediately in that range

- Robert Quinn.....this guy would start for us immediately

- Cam Jordon.....might be the best 3-4 end in this draft

- JJ Watt.....he might also be the best 3-4 end in this draft

My point on all this is with our needs there are guys that could help us immediately....like start from day one

Of course elite players can be found outside the top 5, but that's not really the issue. The issue is that, at No. 3 overall, you have your choice of any college football player in the country save for 2. If they feel that all of the guys you mentioned can help, why wouldn't they just draft the guy that they like the best at No. 3? Would you agree that it's highly likely that Nix and Co. prefer one of those players to the others? Why risk losing out on the player you like the most when you don't have to?

To me, it's not about just getting a guy that can help immediately; it's about getting the best player you can get. If player A grades out higher than player B, why move down? Just take player A...that's my point.

Edited by thebandit27