Redskins looking to move up...

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find it in a search.

Rumors are gaining steam that Washington is looking to move into the top couple of spots to grab a franchise QB. For the Bills, this presents an interesting trade scenario. (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/39321/could-elway-shanahan-be-trade-partners)

On the positive side, a trade like this would likely land the Bills Washington's 1st and 2nd Round pick (#10 and #41), AND, because Washington doesn't have a 3rd or 4th rounder, NEXT YEAR'S 1st round pick. So the Bills could grab an additional pick in the top 41 this year WITHOUT moving out of the top-10, and gain an additional 1st Rounder next year (when, if the projections deliver on their promise, the QB class will be significantly better).

On the negative end, if the draft goes as many are anticipating, the majority of blue-chip defensive prospects could be gone by the 10th pick. NFL Draft Countdown, a solid mock by any standard, has Dareus, Peterson, Miller, Bowers, Amukamara, Fairley, and Watt, all taken in the first nine selections.

So what do y'all think? Would it be worth foregoing players like Newton and Gabbert, Miller and Peterson, Fairley and, possibly, Watt (and drafting in their place a player like Cam Jordan, Aldon Smith, Tyrone Smith, Robert Quinn, or even A.J. Green-- who could slide), for the additional second rounder this year, and a first round pick in 2012? I'm curious to hear your opinions.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumors are gaining steam that Washington is looking to move into the top couple of spots to grab a franchise QB. For the Bills, this presents an interesting trade scenario. (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/39321/could-elway-shanahan-be-trade-partners)

On the positive side, a trade like this would likely land the Bills Washington's 1st and 2nd Round pick (#10 and #41), AND, because Washington doesn't have a 3rd or 4th rounder, NEXT YEAR'S 1st round pick. So the Bills could grab an additional pick in the top 41 this year WITHOUT moving out of the top-10, and gain an additional 1st Rounder next year (when, if the projections deliver on their promise, the QB class will be significantly better).

On the negative end, if the draft goes as many are anticipating, the majority of blue-chip defensive prospects could be gone by the 10th pick. NFL Draft Countdown, a solid mock by any standard, has Dareus, Peterson, Miller, Bowers, Amukamara, Fairley, and Watt, all taken in the first nine selections.

So what do y'all think? Would it be worth foregoing players like Newton and Gabbert, Miller and Peterson, Fairley and, possibly, Watt (and drafting in their place a player like Cam Jordan, Aldon Smith, Tyrone Smith, Robert Quinn, or even A.J. Green-- who could slide), for the additional second rounder this year, and a first round pick in 2012? I'm curious to hear your opinions.

Yes, it would be well worth it, but I doubt we would get their 1st next year. The draft pick value chart is a useful tool, but there is always room to negotiate between teams.

I'd take 10, 41, and then next year's 2nd and 4th.

Take the best 3-4 DE at #10 (Jordan, Watt) unless someone ridiculous like Green slides.

Then take the best linebacker available at #34 (Reed, Wilson)

Then take the best ROT with #41 (Cannon, Carpenter)

The Skins don't have enough picks this year to move up to use. So we're looking at getting picks for next year's draft. The Skins could be picking #1 next year. Therefore, I'm all for trading back, picking up an additional 2nd, and #1 pick next year. Doubt they would want to trade it though with Luck & Barkley etc.

Rumors are gaining steam that Washington is looking to move into the top couple of spots to grab a franchise QB. For the Bills, this presents an interesting trade scenario. (http://espn.go.com/b...-trade-partners)

Guaranteed that when draft day has come and gone and the Bills haven't traded down, people will convert "rumors gaining steam" to rock solid proof positive that the Bills could have traded down but were simply too stupid to make the move.

Oh joy.

would probably be a 1+ next year, but just thinking out loud. those seven spots should cost more than 2 mid seconds which is what you are essentially proposing value wise.

unless they dont like anyone at 3 and want Watt/jordan/quinn and dont mind if the draft dictates which is left when 10 hits, then i guess go for it.

Edited by NoSaint

Guaranteed that when draft day has come and gone and the Bills haven't traded down, people will convert "rumors gaining steam" to rock solid proof positive that the Bills could have traded down but were simply too stupid to make the move.

Oh joy.

Understandable response, and you're probably right, but I won't be one of them. This is just a rumor that made news because of the Shanahan/Elway possibilities. There was never any mention of the Bills, and no confirmation that the Redskins are stirring this particular pot.

I just think it introduces an interesting scenario-- and that is, do we believe that drafting a lottery pick is of the utmost importance, or do we think it better to use this pick to move back and fortify later rounds and future drafts. Nix has been a little duplicitous on this-- on one end, he says that the Bills will build primarily through the draft over free agency, and on another, he seems against working the board to increase his number of selections. Given the number of needs the team has had going into each of the last two offseasons, and the needs they are likely to have going into the NEXT offseason, I thought I'd turn it over to the fans-- who have suffered exponentially longer than Nix or Gailey, and might be less patient and less inclined to trade away attractive picks this year, for more attractive picks in the years ahead-- and see what the collective temperature was.

next years 1st round pick isn't guaranteed. If there is no draft the Bills could wind up with nothing. Not worth the risk.

I would take that trade just for this 2nd rounder this year. So I will take the risk.

Assuming they move up for a QB (newton or Gabbert), that means we would have the choice of Dareus, Watt, Jordan, Fairley, Miller, Peterson, Green, Jones, Quinn, or the other QB. Two would be left, among others like Amakumora, Carimi, etc.

I think the Bills will stand pat at 3. Nix says if your guy is there you better take him cuz there is no promise he'll be there later

Who says you have to have one guy? Trading down and missing out on your guy could be a blessing in disguise. Knowing the Bills scouting history, I hope they DONT get their guy!

Edited by Thoner7

next years 1st round pick isn't guaranteed. If there is no draft the Bills could wind up with nothing. Not worth the risk.

If next year's first round pick was included in the trade but the draft gets canceled next year wouldn't we just get their first rounder in 2013? That would be pretty lame if we don't get their first round pick just because there's no draft next year.

If next year's first round pick was included in the trade but the draft gets canceled next year wouldn't we just get their first rounder in 2013? That would be pretty lame if we don't get their first round pick just because there's no draft next year.

I believe the point is that should the new CBA not include a draft, or even if there are changes, we might not know what we are getting past this years picks.

I would say yes because that is a lot of high picks, plus the skins will be bad next year so their first pick will be high too. If after this year and Fitz still isn't the answer then we could draft one of the highly rated QBs. If we are bad enough we could draft him out-right or trade our 2 first rounders to move up to get one, hopefully Luck.

We could still get a lot of high quality players at 10. I think Watt could still be there plus the guys you mentioned along with Castonzo, Kerrigan, Liuget and Sherrod.

Future draft picks, beyond 2011, also can be traded. But an ominous caveat comes from ESPN’s Chris Mortensen.

Per Mort, the league has advised teams that any trades of draft picks beyond 2011 will occur “at [their] own risk.”

In other words, there may not be a draft in 2012.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/21/teams-may-trade-future-draft-picks-at-their-own-risk/

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

I'd make the trade in a heartbeat, but I think the bills will pass IF they REALLY like the QB on the board. If we got next years 1st along with the 1st and 2nd this year, I'd be thrilled, especially if the QB taken started every game for the skins this year. They'd probably be picking top 5, possibly 1st. Draft DL + LB at 10 and 34 then OT or TE with the skins 2nd. Then draft tsw savior Andrew Luck next year.