Gruden's QB camp

Sorry Cam Newton. Any guy that wears a polo sweater-vest with monogrammed shirt cuffs just cannot play on my team. Even Trent Edwards didn't do that. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mr. Wonderful

Cam, Locker, and Dalton came off as I would have expected them too. And then you have Mallet...

He comes on, mumbles, is a bit "squirrly," seems a bit immature, a bit scripted/unsure on how to answer Gruden's questions...

And then he talks football. Instantly, he goes from Jed Clampett to Joe Montana. You could tell it was a comfort zone for him. Whereas in other areas of life he is nervous/unsure, when discussing football x's & o's, he killed it. Very interesting I thought IMO.

Almost no one here is going to agree with me, but I think Locker would be really great for us if he fell to us in round 2 and we grabbed him there. He seems to have everything a franchise QB needs..... except that accuracy is pretty damn scary. He looked better in his junior year, so you could argue the talent around him fell apart his senior year with people leaving and such. Also, his accuracy was much better outside the pocket, which means with a better line, he probably would have had better accuracy inside the pocket. Now, our line isn't that good..... but we can improve it. I still think he has a lot of upside, but there are too many ifs and maybes to really give him a first round status. But I think using a second rounder on him wouldn't be the worst thing to do. Though with all the defensive talent, using our top two picks on defensive still seems to be the best and safest choice.

Almost no one here is going to agree with me, but I think Locker would be really great for us if he fell to us in round 2 and we grabbed him there. He seems to have everything a franchise QB needs..... except that accuracy is pretty damn scary. He looked better in his junior year, so you could argue the talent around him fell apart his senior year with people leaving and such. Also, his accuracy was much better outside the pocket, which means with a better line, he probably would have had better accuracy inside the pocket. Now, our line isn't that good..... but we can improve it. I still think he has a lot of upside, but there are too many ifs and maybes to really give him a first round status. But I think using a second rounder on him wouldn't be the worst thing to do. Though with all the defensive talent, using our top two picks on defensive still seems to be the best and safest choice.

Joe Montana was the least accurate QB coming out of college and ended up being one of the most accurate QB's in the NFL. Am I saying that Locker will do that? Nope. But I know that we have the luxury of sitting him 2 years and learning from Fitz and Chan. With his physical abilities, and motivation to prove people wrong, he'll be a star in this league. Doubters can doubt, but this kid will do well if he doesn't have to start right away.

Joe Montana was the least accurate QB coming out of college and ended up being one of the most accurate QB's in the NFL. Am I saying that Locker will do that? Nope. But I know that we have the luxury of sitting him 2 years and learning from Fitz and Chan. With his physical abilities, and motivation to prove people wrong, he'll be a star in this league. Doubters can doubt, but this kid will do well if he doesn't have to start right away.

How do you know for sure?

Cam, Locker, and Dalton came off as I would have expected them too. And then you have Mallet...

He comes on, mumbles, is a bit "squirrly," seems a bit immature, a bit scripted/unsure on how to answer Gruden's questions...

And then he talks football. Instantly, he goes from Jed Clampett to Joe Montana. You could tell it was a comfort zone for him. Whereas in other areas of life he is nervous/unsure, when discussing football x's & o's, he killed it. Very interesting I thought IMO.

My thoughts exactly. Most NFL players can barely string two sentences together, and I could care less. Mallet may not have a high IQ, but he has a high football IQ. I thought he did a good job dissecting the blitzes against Alabama (a better decision or two and they would have won that game). He also displayed great leadership during that game. I remember before the half, some OL was goofing around and he pulled him into the huddle and got everyone focused. I'd love to get him in the 2nd or 3rd round and focus on our D in the first.

Ive been telling all my friends to TIVO the Grudens QB camp, if you haven't been then you should. They re-run them periodically so you should be able to see them all. Chucky is one funny dude. I loved when he gave Dalton that FFCA visor and then said "did you bring anything for me?" Dalton says NO and Gruden gets this kinda sad look on his face and says "well...that's OK...". He LOVES f*cking with the rookies, its such interesting TV instead of the majority of sports crap on ESPN.

There is such a thirst for more information for the fans on the X and O's of the NFL from players and coaches and analysts, its nice to see them breakdown some film, hit the whiteboard to draw up plays etc. Throw in some Gruden humor and the best NFL-bound college QB's and its a brilliant combo.

After watching all of them, I really like that kid Dalton. He reminds me of how Bradford was last year on the show. Respectful but not overly nervous with the camera's and coach Gruden, very astute answers, loves the game and winning. Maybe the redhead will stink it up but I wouldn't be bummed if the Bills could steal him in a later round.

I had the same reaction. Right off the bat, I was like, "this kid's a moron." Then he gets up to the dry erase board, and I'm like, "I take it back. He's like a completely different person now."

Ive been telling all my friends to TIVO the Grudens QB camp, if you haven't been then you should. They re-run them periodically so you should be able to see them all. Chucky is one funny dude. I loved when he gave Dalton that FFCA visor and then said "did you bring anything for me?" Dalton says NO and Gruden gets this kinda sad look on his face and says "well...that's OK...". He LOVES f*cking with the rookies, its such interesting TV instead of the majority of sports crap on ESPN.

There is such a thirst for more information for the fans on the X and O's of the NFL from players and coaches and analysts, its nice to see them breakdown some film, hit the whiteboard to draw up plays etc. Throw in some Gruden humor and the best NFL-bound college QB's and its a brilliant combo.

After watching all of them, I really like that kid Dalton. He reminds me of how Bradford was last year on the show. Respectful but not overly nervous with the camera's and coach Gruden, very astute answers, loves the game and winning. Maybe the redhead will stink it up but I wouldn't be bummed if the Bills could steal him in a later round.

I'm a pretty big Dalton fan; I just wonder if he has the requisite physical tools to be an NFL QB. He passes pretty much every metric there is for college QBs (starts, wins, passing stats, Wunderlic score, leadership), but he's not seen as more than maybe a 2nd-round pick. That makes me think the scouts don't think he's physically good enough for the NFL. I'm pulling for him, though, and I'd be pretty happy if we drafted him.

How much of the anti-Locker crowd are sour grapes that he stayed in school rather than grabbing the cash last year?

Locker had some really putrid receiver play last year. He's definitely a project and not a sure-fire can't-miss ready-to-go QB. He's such a talented athlete and the Huskies were so awful, that his development as a NFL-ready QB was really quite limited. Running for your life every snap does that.

I think under the circumstances, and the questions the Kid has been pounded with, he's deserving of a little lead-way when it comes to his nervousness...I don't think he came off immature at all...Just a bit nervous...I think he comes across 100 times more sincere than Newton...But I'm not saying I like him more than Newton necessarily...Apples and Oranges there...

But I agree when it came to Football questions and his white-board demo that is where Mallett's strength lies...I've said it all along...If the right Team Drafts that Kid and has patience...Coaches him up a bit and designs an Offense around his strengths...He could be a monster in a couple years...Ideally for him he would be Drafted by Indy or New England...But I don't think he's going to be that lucky...And if he goes to Miami he's screwed... At least until the next Coaching Staff gets there...

I know I'm in the severe minority...But I'd rather Trade Down, pick up and extra Pick or two and grab Mallet instead Drafting Newton or Gabbert at #3...It's just me, and I admit I could be dead wrong about him...But there's something about the thought of that Rocket Launcher arm in RWS that makes me wonder...

When I watch and read stuff like this breakdown I just have to wonder what the Kid would do in Red, White, and Blue...

Breakdown

In the end I'll be happy with any of the three...Gabbert 1st, Mallett 2nd, and Newton 3rd...Just get one of em Buddy... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I love this show. Gruden is great. I could listen to him all day long. He clearly loves football and seems like a great personality to be around.

So far, I have seen the Locker and Dalton shows. I was impressed with both and would have no problem picking either with our second round pick.

How much of the anti-Locker crowd are sour grapes that he stayed in school rather than grabbing the cash last year?

Locker had some really putrid receiver play last year. He's definitely a project and not a sure-fire can't-miss ready-to-go QB. He's such a talented athlete and the Huskies were so awful, that his development as a NFL-ready QB was really quite limited. Running for your life every snap does that.

Actually, living in the Northwest, I've probably seen more of his games than most on here. Believe me, 2 years ago I was hoping this kid would progress and I secretly wished he'd become a Bill. I couldn't have a more different opinion of him now. I think, in effect, he's a taller JP Losman. He has all the physical tools and none of the intangibles. Frankly, I'd rather have a Fitz - or Dalton - or Ponder who lack in the skills department but have many more of the leadership qualities, including the ability to actually make your team better - pretty much a prerequisite for me in evaluating QBs.

If we're going to take a flyer on an athletic QB, I hope it's on someone who showed stretches of accuracy as well as improvement (like Kaepernick). I too am intrigued by Mallett but character concerns leave him wanting. I trust Gailey to see which of these guys can translate athletic prowess and that stuff between the ears into being a good QB.

I love this show. Gruden is great. I could listen to him all day long. He clearly loves football and seems like a great personality to be around.

So far, I have seen the Locker and Dalton shows. I was impressed with both and would have no problem picking either with our second round pick.

I was disappointed with these episodes with this year's crop of QBs. I thought the ones he did last year were way better. These episodes were not as detailed. It was a lot of just BS'ing back and forth. Especially with Mallett and John Daly. I would have liked to see him doing more film study and breaking down plays. they did a little, but not enough.

I am not a big Gruden fan. I find him to be an egomaniac and a phony. But the episodes he did last (esp. with Tebow) were great.

I was disappointed with these episodes with this year's crop of QBs. I thought the ones he did last year were way better. These episodes were not as detailed. It was a lot of just BS'ing back and forth. Especially with Mallett and John Daly. I would have liked to see him doing more film study and breaking down plays. they did a little, but not enough.

I am not a big Gruden fan. I find him to be an egomaniac and a phony. But the episodes he did last (esp. with Tebow) were great.

I'm glad someone agrees with me about this guy. I thought he treated Clausen unfairly last year. I don't even like Clausen, but Gruden just didn't play fair with the kid.

Actually, living in the Northwest, I've probably seen more of his games than most on here. Believe me, 2 years ago I was hoping this kid would progress and I secretly wished he'd become a Bill. I couldn't have a more different opinion of him now. I think, in effect, he's a taller JP Losman. He has all the physical tools and none of the intangibles. Frankly, I'd rather have a Fitz - or Dalton - or Ponder who lack in the skills department but have many more of the leadership qualities, including the ability to actually make your team better - pretty much a prerequisite for me in evaluating QBs.

If we're going to take a flyer on an athletic QB, I hope it's on someone who showed stretches of accuracy as well as improvement (like Kaepernick). I too am intrigued by Mallett but character concerns leave him wanting. I trust Gailey to see which of these guys can translate athletic prowess and that stuff between the ears into being a good QB.

I've seen him plenty too. In fact, I wasn't sold on all the hype slung his way last year. ;)

Your comparison is apt. He's going to need some time to develop into an NFL QB, if he ever does. And with Losman, the urgency Donahoe felt to ramrod him into the lineup was an unmitigated disaster.