Coahces and FO stance on Fitz

I think if they believed in Fitz as much as they say they wouldn't be taking all these QBs out to dinner and attending their Pro Days. I think they are trying to grease the skids in case they totally screw up the first pick like they did last season, in case they determine we need another running back this year. Fitz was a pleasant surprise last year, but anyone who knows even a slight little bit about football knows he isn't the answer.

I thought bree's had a breakout year the year they drafted rivers. but i have done no fact checking and i'm not as sharp as i used to be.

I agree with you on your draft preference though. IMO we need a mean defender first.

Actually he did, as he had a career threatening shoulder injury in the Pro Bowl that year, which with that combined with his contract expiring (I believe), was the reason they gave up on him and drafted Rivers.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if they believed in Fitz as much as they say they wouldn't be taking all these QBs out to dinner and attending their Pro Days. I think they are trying to grease the skids in case they totally screw up the first pick like they did last season, in case they determine we need another running back this year. Fitz was a pleasant surprise last year, but anyone who knows even a slight little bit about football knows he isn't the answer.

Actually he did, as he had a career threatening shoulder injury in the Pro Bowl that year, which with that combined with his contract expiring (I believe), was the reason they gave up on him and drafted Rivers.

Ok, since no one seems sure, here are the actual facts about the Brees - Rivers time in SD now that I went back and verified.

Brees did not have a breakout year until Rivers rookie year. When they drafted Rivers, Brees was coming off a year with a passer rating of 67.5 with 11 TD's and 15 INT's (with 3 additional lost fumbles). He had regressed considerably from the previous year where he showed promise at times.

Brees had a breakout and big year going for 27 TD's and 7 INT's with a 104.8 rating during Rivers rookie year, and followed it up with a 24 TD and 15 INT with a 89.2 rating in his last year in SD.

In the final regular game of the season against the 13-3 Broncos, he was knocked out of the game with a major shoulder injury. The season was already over for them at that point, and many thought Rivers should get a chance to start given the upcoming dilema of Brees being a FA that offseason to both protect Brees and see what they had in Rivers. They chose to play Brees and he was hurt of course. SD then elected to not resign Brees who then went on to NO obviously as a FA.

It's all a smokescreen. The more they talk-up taking Newton or Gabbert at #3 because they think they're "franchise QB's," the greater the chance that both teams in front of them (and both of them need a QB) take them and leave them with who they really want. But without knowing their exact thinking, we'll have to wait until the draft.

It's all a smokescreen. The more they talk-up taking Newton or Gabbert at #3 because they think they're "franchise QB's," the greater the chance that both teams in front of them (and both of them need a QB) take them and leave them with who they really want. But without knowing their exact thinking, we'll have to wait until the draft.

A team with the first pick and the team with the 2nd pick are not going to change their pick because of who the team with the 3rd pick likes. Whoever they dont pick will 100% be gone before they pick again in the 2nd, so they dont care who the 4 win Bills think is the guy for them. I mean do you really think the Panters scouts and staff are going "I dont know about this kid Newton, but hey the 4 win Bills who have failed miserably to replace Kelly with blunders like trading up for JP love him, so they must know something we dont...so maybe we should take this Newton kid."

Scouts, coaches, and the teams FO's could care less about what the so called draft expersts say, what other teams say, etc. In the end, they just draft the guy they feel is the best fit for their team. So the idea that Buffalo would risk shaking the confidence of Fitz to try and influence Carolina to take a QB is a bit far fetched dont you think? Especially at the great lengths of how they are doing it...not just saying they are interested in a QB, but spending a lot time with them and going to great lengths to evaluate them.

So the idea that Buffalo would risk shaking the confidence of Fitz to try and influence Carolina to take a QB is a bit far fetched dont you think? Especially at the great lengths of how they are doing it...

Ralph gave the order a long time ago. Didn't he even have Nix fly around and personally scout QBs?

I think that you and I disagree about how much input Ralph has.

Ralph gave the order a long time ago. Didn't he even have Nix fly around and personally scout QBs?

I think that you and I disagree about how much input Ralph has.

I believe Ralph has a lot of input like you do, I think we more disagree on the primary motivation of Ralph. You seem to be in the camp its strictly to sell tickets where I struggle to find any draft picks that were flashy ones to sell tickets. Maybin sure wasnt...Whitner...McKelvin, etc...the only one anyone can maybe see that with is Spiller, but it was Gailey who had been high on Spiller from the get go and the type of player he was. And he was the BPA and considered the best offensive player in the draft on a team with one of the worst offenses in football the previous year. So, I dont even think Spiller was chosen just to sell tickets...I think they genuinely wanted him all along and did not hesistate to pick him when their turn came up.

But, what you just wrote reinforces what I was saying I believe...that the interest in the QB is real (who its coming from doesnt really matter) by the Bills and not just an elaborate, time consuming smoke screen to somehow influence Car to take Newton.

A team with the first pick and the team with the 2nd pick are not going to change their pick because of who the team with the 3rd pick likes. Whoever they dont pick will 100% be gone before they pick again in the 2nd, so they dont care who the 4 win Bills think is the guy for them. I mean do you really think the Panters scouts and staff are going "I dont know about this kid Newton, but hey the 4 win Bills who have failed miserably to replace Kelly with blunders like trading up for JP love him, so they must know something we dont...so maybe we should take this Newton kid."

Scouts, coaches, and the teams FO's could care less about what the so called draft expersts say, what other teams say, etc. In the end, they just draft the guy they feel is the best fit for their team. So the idea that Buffalo would risk shaking the confidence of Fitz to try and influence Carolina to take a QB is a bit far fetched dont you think? Especially at the great lengths of how they are doing it...not just saying they are interested in a QB, but spending a lot time with them and going to great lengths to evaluate them.

True, teams rely mostly on themselves. But they absolutely do pay attention to what others are doing. This in inarguable. It's why you see a run on certain positions or someone taking a player higher than they reasonably should have (ahem).

Now the Bills can't make the Panthers or Broncos like Newton or Gabbert, but if there's interest, and there seems to be on their part, they can make them think twice about whether it's a good idea to pass on them. And it's not like they're so great at identifying QB's themselves. :rolleyes:

As for shaking Fitz' confidence, Fitz knows it's a business, and he's had his confidence shaken many times, whether it's the Bungles going back to Palmer or the Bills going with Edwards at the beginning of last year.

#1- i do NOT feel that gailey and nix "believe" in Fitz. thats why edwards beat him out in pre-season. i do feel that Fitz has since earned their respect and that both nix and gailey will support Fitz by saying he is their guy and we can win with him....blah blah blah.

#2- if the Bills use their first round pick on a QB than it's painfully obvious they do NOT believe in him. if they wait til round 2 or 3 then that tells me they do believe in him. simple as that.

True, teams rely mostly on themselves. But they absolutely do pay attention to what others are doing. This in inarguable. It's why you see a run on certain positions or someone taking a player higher than they reasonably should have (ahem).

Now the Bills can't make the Panthers or Broncos like Newton or Gabbert, but if there's interest, and there seems to be on their part, they can make them think twice about whether it's a good idea to pass on them. And it's not like they're so great at identifying QB's themselves. :rolleyes:

As for shaking Fitz' confidence, Fitz knows it's a business, and he's had his confidence shaken many times, whether it's the Bungles going back to Palmer or the Bills going with Edwards at the beginning of last year.

What you say its absolutely true, however, I dont think it really applies to the team with the first and 2nd pick...as there is no "run" to adjust too yet given the draft just started. I am sure consideration of how the whole round might go will be given, but I just dont see Car or Den adjusting to anything we may do at #3.

Now they may be hyping the interest up to creat a trade down scenario, however, one thing stands out for me on this that seems to indicate thats not the case or at least not their sole agenda. There are two stud players that could be available, and one almost certainly will be, that could be hot trade up caliber players.

They are Peterson and Green...and both players would be beneficial to our team, so trying to create some buzz that we may consider either of them would not be hard. So, if they were really just trying to create a trade down buzz with the interest in the 2 QB's, seems like they would also be doing the same about Peterson and Green.

So for me, between Fitz's inconsistent play, Wilsons decleration in the season that we need a QB in this draft, the staff and coaches comments about needing a guy you can build around for 10 years, and how much time and focus they are putting into evaluating the QB's, I just feel its legitimate interest.

Although, the real interest may not be at #3, could very well be with our 2nd round pick. In fact, I only think Newton is someone they are considering at 3, and if he is gone they will either trade back a few spots with someone who wants Gabbert and go D, or just take the highest rated player on their board and then look at a QB in the 2nd.

Ralph told Nix to fly around and personally scout QBs during the bye week BEFORE Fitz starting have the competitive game against playoff teams, like Pitt, Balt, KC, Chicago. And before Fitz and the Bills won 4 out of the last 7 games he played in. This could have made him, like a lot of us, think that QB maybe isn't our most glaring weakness.

How many realize that in the 13 games Fitz played in, he threw for more yards than the opposing QB 8 times? Not sure what it means, but it is interesting.

I believe Ralph has a lot of input like you do, I think we more disagree on the primary motivation of Ralph. You seem to be in the camp its strictly to sell tickets where I struggle to find any draft picks that were flashy ones to sell tickets. Maybin sure wasnt...Whitner...McKelvin, etc...the only one anyone can maybe see that with is Spiller, but it was Gailey who had been high on Spiller from the get go and the type of player he was. And he was the BPA and considered the best offensive player in the draft on a team with one of the worst offenses in football the previous year. So, I dont even think Spiller was chosen just to sell tickets...I think they genuinely wanted him all along and did not hesistate to pick him when their turn came up.

But, what you just wrote reinforces what I was saying I believe...that the interest in the QB is real (who its coming from doesnt really matter) by the Bills and not just an elaborate, time consuming smoke screen to somehow influence Car to take Newton.

Jauron and Levy seemed to have a large degree of autonomy. Ralph trusted Levy a lot, and these second rate football men believed that defensive backs were the most important element in terms of building a football team.

Last year, Mr. Wilson said that Spiller would "add excitement." This lends itself more to selling tickets than winning football games. Drafting a part time gimmick player at #8 to run behind a weak line is not the way to win football games.

This year, I firmly believe as do you, that they will grab a QB at 3. I don't think that Mr. Wilson would have paid for the airfare and hotels for Nix to travel if he had something different in mind. Hopefully, not even the Bills can bungle every first round pick, and one of the QBs can play.

Hopefully, they can solve line issue on both sides with picks in later rounds.

Ralph told Nix to fly around and personally scout QBs during the bye week BEFORE Fitz starting have the competitive game against playoff teams, like Pitt, Balt, KC, Chicago. And before Fitz and the Bills won 4 out of the last 7 games he played in. This could have made him, like a lot of us, think that QB maybe isn't our most glaring weakness.

How many realize that in the 13 games Fitz played in, he threw for more yards than the opposing QB 8 times? Not sure what it means, but it is interesting.

Personally, I think that Fitz is capable of leading a team to the playoffs. But if they want to draft a QB who they think will be great, I'm OK with it. It beats wasting a pick and making a corner the highest paid player on the team and sadly, one can't dismiss a stupid scenario such as this. We are talking about the Bills!

Well considering how many yards per game we gave up on the ground with our awful run D and how often we were playing from behind its no shocker that Fitz had more yards then the opposing QB 8 times. So IMO, I dont think it means anything other than the opposing QB didnt pass as much as we did thanks to their success running the ball against us.

How many people realize that over the last 9 games Fitz had just 12 TD's wtih 16 turnovers? And 4 of those TD's came in a single game, one where he was terrible until the opposing team lost half of their starting secondary for the game. In fact, he threw an INT in each of his first 3 drives before the safeties left the game.

Please We all know it's about "D" fence. Who was in the super bowl this year? Bress, Brady or Manning?? Lets work on the "D" and let the offense have the ball more.

Actually it was a QB just as good in Aaron Rodgers. Raplesberger isn't doing too bad either, with 3 SB appearances and 2 Lombardi trophies since we drafted Losman.

I have yet to find a false quote from Nixley in over a year that they've been with the Bills. Unlike, say, Bellychickie, who is a congenital misleader, Gailey and Nix have consistently been honest. So I'm puzzled by a certain element around here that thinks they're lying now...about Fitz, about defensive needs, etc. So let me paraphrase what both Nix and Gailey have repeatedly said about the QB situation:

QB trumps all other positions on the team. Fitz is a really good QB and the Bills can win a championship with him. At this time, QB is NOT the most important need. BUT, when you're drafting at #3 (a position they hope they're never in again), you have to make this pick count. AND if there is a chance to get a ten or twelve year franchise-level QB, then you must take him. THEREFORE, we are doing our due diligence by deeply studying the QBs available this year.

I believe that sums up the Nixley statements. And based on their past honesty, I have no reason to start thinking they're now lying to the fans. There is, however, a possibility that their apparent interest in a QB is meant to panic a team further down that really does need a QB now (Cincy, Arizona, Minnesota) to trade up with them in the event that the player they want at #3 is gone when they pick.

When Matt Ryan was taken...glaring holes needed to be filled everywhere on the Falcons! What's funny is how the media made it sound he wasn't a top QB/franchise guy, that's why he fell to #3...Now in 2011, Gabbert is under the same scrutiny... Only time will tell if we actually select a QB in the draft--who really knows!?

Matt ryan had a way more impressive college career than gabbert has had, and he stayed in school and started more games. I don't think the two compare.

:lol:

That statement makes me LOL pretty hard...

WOW! B-)

That's not half as funny as you (and many here like you) wanting the Bills to pick Blaine Gabbert. He of the 16 TDs in the spread offense against college competition. He of the 69th QB rating ranking. He of the 3.25 YPA on 3rd and 8-10. He of the 30% completion rate on throws over 15 yards. Clearly you guys didn't have your fill of Trent Edwards...LOL

That's not half as funny as you (and many here like you) wanting the Bills to pick Blaine Gabbert. He of the 16 TDs in the spread offense against college competition. He of the 69th QB rating ranking. He of the 3.25 YPA on 3rd and 8-10. He of the 30% completion rate on throws over 15 yards. Clearly you guys didn't have your fill of Trent Edwards...LOL

You forgot to mention is terrible pocket presence and awareness.

You forgot to mention is terrible pocket presence and awareness.

Mike Mayock has jumped the shark with his praise of Gabbert and trashing of Newton. I've seriously lost all respect for this guy the last few months. I really don't know what his deal is, but I don't think he's right in the head.

:lol:

That statement makes me LOL pretty hard...

WOW! B-)

It is not a statement; it's something that both Nix and Gailey have said and which I was summarizing. As those two guys have forgotten more about professional football than I'll ever know, and because they've been honest with their statements right along, then I think I'm going to put more confidence in their assessment than in your "WOW."