Maybin called out by Gailey yet again

Beerball

link

"We might provide a spark, but he's got to get his own fire going."

"He's got to understand where he is. I always talk to guys about 'This is where we are. This is where we want to be, and this is how we get there.' Individually, guys have got to do that. 'This is where I am. This is where I want to be. Now, how do I get there?'

"We tell him all the time how to get there. He's got to do it. Talking's over. You've got to go get it done."

"Right now all it is is potential because he hasn't shown it in practice or in games,"

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Chan, how about you release the guy and we don't have to hear this nonsense anymore. If this kid isn't yet motivated--cut him.

CG has shown he has trouble with this decision (Trent Edwards, George Edwards). Just F'ing do it already.

"We tell him all the time how to get there. He's got to do it."

If this dumbass isn't putting in the work, then I hope Eric Wood takes him out back and has a "come to Jesus" meeting, as they say here in the south. That quote is a huge red flag, and it's basically Gailey stating that Maybin doesn't have any sort of work ethic. That's very disappointing.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like Gailey doesn't believe that Maybin is ever going to be the premiere pass rusher the Bills were hoping for when they invested that #11 pick on him -- and that he will need to focus on working on all the other stuff if he wants to carve out a position for himself.

Hey Chan, how about you release the guy and we don't have to hear this nonsense anymore. If this kid isn't yet motivated--cut him.

CG has shown he has trouble with this decision (Trent Edwards, George Edwards). Just F'ing do it already.

I believe the decision is coming from above him. Chan also made sure to point out effort was not the issue.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like Gailey doesn't believe that Maybin is ever going to be the premiere pass rusher the Bills were hoping for when they invested that #11 pick on him -- and that he will need to focus on working on all the other stuff if he wants to carve out a position for himself.

Surely you can't be serious.

I'm not sure I follow your logic here. Gailey benched Edwards after 2 games and cut him off the team soon after. It doesn't seem he hesitated with that decision, in fact I would suggest he made that decision faster than most NFL coaches would have.

As for Edwards Poz came out and said that the right plays were being called but the players were not doing the right things, I can't put that on Edwards.

Maybin seems to have the work ethic by all accounts I've read but he just doesn't seem to "get it". I don't have any faith that this kid will amount to anything other than a BIG BUST!

I believe the decision is coming from above him. Chan also made sure to point out effort was not the issue.

What decision is coming from who?

I'm not sure I follow your logic here. Gailey benched Edwards after 2 games and cut him off the team soon after. It doesn't seem he hesitated with that decision, in fact I would suggest he made that decision faster than most NFL coaches would have.

As for Edwards Poz came out and said that the right plays were being called but the players were not doing the right things, I can't put that on Edwards.

Maybin seems to have the work ethic by all accounts I've read but he just doesn't seem to "get it". I don't have any faith that this kid will amount to anything other than a BIG BUST!

I agree with you. Trent looked like the best QB in camp and pre-season. When the real bullets started to fly, he sucked, and Gailey cut him quick.

As for George, even if you were to pin the blame on him for the defense's lousy performance, why cut him when you can keep him as an assistant coach (considering Wannstedt is the de facto DC)?

And why cut Maybin before training camp and pre-season?

It was Nix who specifically said they will not release him. I tend to think from the comments that Chan would prefer to cut him and move on.

As for Edwards Poz came out and said that the right plays were being called but the players were not doing the right things, I can't put that on Edwards.Maybin seems to have the work ethic by all accounts I've read but he just doesn't seem to "get it". I don't have any faith that this kid will amount to anything other than a BIG BUST!

I like the move of hiring Dave W. and not firing Edwards. But I must respectfully disagree with the comment that you can't put that on Edwards. He is the defensive coordinator. The defense was terrible. Granted he didn't have a lot of talent. He showed no creativity at all with the talent he had.

no point in cutting him he's only 22 years old. You take another run at motivating him - no hurry in getting him out of here

I kind of agree but I don't fault CG for Trent too much. Let's not forget Trent started games for 3 different head coaches over 5 years. I wonder who might have been responsible for that? Modrak/Wilson!!!!!!

Question about the upcoming draft in your opinion. If we were to take Von Miller with our first round pick, do you think that we would cut Maybin?

Why do we need 2 Maybins?

"We tell him all the time how to get there. He's got to do it."

If this dumbass isn't putting in the work, then I hope Eric Wood takes him out back and has a "come to Jesus" meeting, as they say here in the south. That quote is a huge red flag, and it's basically Gailey stating that Maybin doesn't have any sort of work ethic. That's very disappointing.

If you're simply not good at something, all the hard work won't get you anywhere...

To be clear, I asked whether the failure came down to Maybin not trying hard enough or simply not being good enough.

"I think he wants to. I think he wants to," Gailey said, leaving pauses between each sentence. "He works at it. I'm glad you [asked that]. I don't want anybody to think he doesn't work at it."

Another pause.

So that must mean he's not good enough, I deduced aloud.

Gailey didn't blink.

"I don't want anybody to think he doesn't work at it," Gailey replied with a raised-brow expression that confirmed the unspoken point had found its bull's-eye.

Edited by DrDankenstein