Jerry Sullivan picks Dareus

Beerball

How does he compare to Suh? I think the Bills should look elsewhere unless Dareus is considered as good as a prospect as Suh. Plus they drafted troupe last year and DT position is deep this year, I am sure they can get a nice player in the 2nd or 3rd round.

How does he compare to Suh? I think the Bills should look elsewhere unless Dareus is considered as good as a prospect as Suh. Plus they drafted troupe last year and DT position is deep this year, I am sure they can get a nice player in the 2nd or 3rd round.

not to mention that our starting DT just played in the probowl. I realize Dareus is rated highly, but it would not be a smart pick for the Bills.

QB, DE or LB at #3.

Dareus played DE in Alabama's 3-4. Would be a great fit for our team because he is also versatile enough to stay on the field in every formation.

Picking him at #3 would allow us to pick LBs in rounds 2-4, when given the chance.

With Newton off the board, ending up with something like Dareus/Houston in the first 2 rounds would change this team immediately.

not to mention that our starting DT just played in the probowl. I realize Dareus is rated highly, but it would not be a smart pick for the Bills.

QB, DE or LB at #3.

Is he the best football player who will be available? That's the question to ask. Not whether our roster of 53 can accommodate him. Taking an inferior player at #3 because of the position played would just be a crazy thing to do. If he is not clearly the best player, I am very happy to pick someone else (even though Dareus is my top choice at the moment), but Kyle and Troup don't have much of an impact on my decision. If there is a chance that Gabbert or Miller or Bowers is the same level of player, then fine.

Also, I'm not sure about the Kyle issues anyway. I think Dareus would be fine at 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT, so a perfect compliment to Kyle, not the contrary.

Is he the best football player who will be available? That's the question to ask. Not whether our roster of 53 can accommodate him. Taking an inferior player at #3 because of the position played would just be a crazy thing to do. If he is not clearly the best player, I am very happy to pick someone else (even though Dareus is my top choice at the moment), but Kyle and Troup don't have much of an impact on my decision. If there is a chance that Gabbert or Miller or Bowers is the same level of player, then fine.

Also, I'm not sure about the Kyle issues anyway. I think Dareus would be fine at 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT, so a perfect compliment to Kyle, not the contrary.

Bingo! If we were to be so lucky as to draft Dareus, our Front 7 lineup would look like this: (edited down to the DLine due to formatting)

Merriman - Willaims - Troup - Dareus

With Moats outside of Dareus as well. This leaves Edwards and Carrington rotating in at DE, and Williams rotating in at NT. Would also give us flexibility to run 4-3 pretty easily. Even switch to it on the fly.

When you have the opportunity, you take the best defensive lineman available and get him in the trenches.

Edited by DrDankenstein

Bingo! If we were to be so lucky as to draft Dareus, our Front 7 lineup would look like this: (edited down to the DLine due to formatting)

Merriman - Willaims - Troup - Dareus

With Moats outside of Dareus as well. This leaves Edwards and Carrington rotating in at DE, and Williams rotating in at NT. Would also give us flexibility to run 4-3 pretty easily. Even switch to it on the fly.

When you have the opportunity, you take the best defensive lineman available and get him in the trenches.

just a question, but why am I seeing Merriman at DE in a few posts here on TSW??...if they do go 4-3 like your line shows, then most likely Kelsay drops drown to DE...jmo

Dareus played DE in Alabama's 3-4. Would be a great fit for our team because he is also versatile enough to stay on the field in every formation.

Picking him at #3 would allow us to pick LBs in rounds 2-4, when given the chance.

With Newton off the board, ending up with something like Dareus/Houston in the first 2 rounds would change this team immediately.

I am trying to figure out why everyone is looking at Darius and saying "Defensive Tackle"

Folks.....HE PLAYED DE IN A 3-4 IN COLLEGE.....the fact that he is a monster that can move inside on certain downs if needed is just a plus.

- He is a very good runs stopper who can control the edge

- We just released Marcus Stroud

- LB is deep this year

If we are not going to go QB with that first pick....Darius would be a no brainer. Easily the safest pick in the draft.

I am trying to figure out why everyone is looking at Darius and saying "Defensive Tackle"

Folks.....HE PLAYED DE IN A 3-4 IN COLLEGE.....the fact that he is a monster that can move inside on certain downs if needed is just a plus.

- He is a very good runs stopper who can control the edge

- We just released Marcus Stroud

- LB is deep this year

If we are not going to go QB with that first pick....Darius would be a no brainer. Easily the safest pick in the draft.

I totally disagree. To me, Marcel Dareus has that "Mike Williams" air about him. He seems very immature (that's not his fault it's just my impression watching his interviews). He says that his favorite thing is to watch cartoons, he admitted that he's not a workout warrior, he can barely speak coherently.

I would much rather draft Cameron Jordan than to draft Dareus who I consider a huge risk when you have more mature young men on the board like Peterson, Green, Quinn, Miller. I just don't get the Dareus is a safe pick crowd. He's screaming bust to me. Maybe when he grows up in a few years he'll be a dominate player, but I don't see that happening for quite a while.

Edited by 1billsfan

I believe that Darius would be a great pick and would snap him up in a second.The more beef on the d-line the better. If he's gone and Bowers is healthy, he's the pick.

I agree that Dareus would be a great start to our draft. He's the Hybrid Scheme Dream-- DE, DT, 3-4, 4-3, 1st down, 2nd down, 3rd down, don't matter--Dareus can be in there. That's not true of Bowers (especially with the meniscus questions), and not true of Fairley.

If we take Dareus, it is a terrible pick. Either Green or Jones. Under the new rules, you can't hit the QB and you can't hit the WR's. 40 points is the new 20 points. If we take a defensive player, it is the wrong move.

I'm really really starting to hope that we can and do trade down into the middle of the first if possible for extra picks cause nobody is a clear #3 for the Bills (IMO) at this point. I've slowly moved over to the side that thinks if the right QB is there at #3 we should take him and then take advantage of the depth in this draft afterwards to fill our other needs. Everything I read tells me that the quality and depth of players in this draft will allow us this flexibility in our draft process.

I totally disagree. To me, Marcel Dareus has that "Mike Williams" air about him. He seems very immature (that's not his fault it's just my impression watching his interviews). He says that his favorite thing is to watch cartoons, he admitted that he's not a workout warrior, he can barely speak coherently.

I would much rather draft Cameron Jordan than to draft Dareus who I consider a huge risk when you have more mature young men on the board like Peterson, Green, Quinn, Miller. I just don't get the Dareus is a safe pick crowd. He's screaming bust to me. Maybe when he grows up in a few years he'll be a dominate player, but I don't see that happening for quite a while.

honestly, im the one that brought up most of the comments and interviews you are citing, and i get the concern but i think i read his immaturity differently. this is just my impression i think he is a guy that loves the game and would hate to let his teammates down. i dont think he is a natural leader, the first in the weight room by himself, breaking down film and finding tips to give to other guys etc... but i think that in a positive environment he is about as safe a pick as you get. you cant totally kill the guy for admitting in a student interview his sophomore year that hed rather be hitting people on the field instead of sitting in the gym alone, and thats what i took the interview as. fact is, its just an opinion though, and you could very well be right.

i also really think that petersons maturity is overrated. i think he is charismatic, which is not the same thing.

I'm glad you're not making the pick.

Well...My guess is, if it goes Newton then Peterson at 1 and 2, you're not going to be too thrilled with what actually does happen on Draft Day...Like I said, it's just a guess, but I definitely think The Bills will take Gabbert or Miller ahead of Dareus...Regardless of what everyone is saying about Dareus he is best suited as a 4-3 DT...And his skills are at least a bit similar to Kyle Williams...I'm not saying it's duplication, but his game is more similar to KW than any other D-Lineman on this Bills Roster...Sure he can play DE in a 3-4, but do the Bills REALLY want to spend the #3 Overall Pick on a 3-4 DE? Dareus will not be a great Pass Rusher as a 3-4 DE...I admit he'll be a ton of help vs. the Run, but again is that worth #3 Overall for a 3-4 Team?

I can't imagine The Bills passing on Gabbert...It's like begging to be 2nd guessed for the next decade or so...And if they do pass on Gabbert I think the Pick will be Miller, who fills a MASSIVE hole on this Defense...

Just saying...And obviously just my opinion... B-)