Gabbert Pro Day

His throwing motion was fluid and smooth, i still don't see it and for a guy his size, he was light on his feet and moved his feet pretty well.

Hey, people who've forgotten more about football than I'll ever know said he looked good, so what do I know. I guess it's just hard for me to get excited about a guy who put up pedestrian numbers in an offense that his predecessor lit it up in.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking a snap from under center or in shotgun has nothing to do with reading defense. It's all about footwork and mechanics which leads to accuracy, timing, and drive.

Gabbert is a much polished QB than Newton is.

Mayock said his workout was better than Ryan's and almost as good as Bradfords. If Gabbert is there at 3, then we take him. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Yes, thats exactly my point.

I also said nothing about Newton or Gabbert. In fact, both knocks you hear on them is "they never took snaps from under center" My point is thats not a big deal. These guys are the best athletes in the WORLD. I think they can it figure out.

If you know what "getting the ball out on time" means then you know just how big a deal footwork is to coaches everywhere. 3,5, and 7 step drops, not to mention turning your back to the D on play fakes, is CRITICAL to EVERYTHING in the passing game. Doesn't matter if the QB can read a defense or not or whether he's in a shotgun or not.

I'm surprised you would pooh-pooh the importance of QB drops. Surprising coming from you.

GO BILLS!!!

Im not saying they arent important, I am just saying they are incredibly easy to learn. I could teach you a 3, 5, and 7 step drop in 15 mins after we each had a couple beers in Drive 5.

The act of carrying out a fake or turning your back to the D isnt the difficult part (unless of course you struggle turning your head and shoulders 90 dgrees one way before turning them back 90 degrees the other way). The physical act of doing that is not difficult. The difficult part is mental - being able to locate your WRs and see where the D is after doing it - because you blind yourself turning your head.

Timing is influenced by the drop but again the physical part is not difficult. Its the mental aspect of determining where to go at the top of your drop, so that you can get your feet into position. That is true whether you are in the shotgun or under center If you hesitate at the top of the drop then yes you wont know how to position your feet, but if its a drill in practice and the WR will be open on a 15 yard comeback route then its not going to be an issue.

Edited by Thoner7

If so, he won't look good to us in a Panthers uni.

Exactly...

I'll hold out hope till Draft day that the Panthers will go elsewhere...Regardless of what anyone says Dareus will tug at Carolina's heartstrings the same way he will Buffalo's if he slides to #3...He looks to be BY FAR the safest Pick in this Draft...Just yesterday Panthers beat Reporter Darin Gantt had the Panthers taking Dareus in his latest Mock...Interior Line is a HUGE need for Carolina as well...

I fully expect The Panthers to take Gabbert...So don't get me wrong here...But choosing Gabbert or even Newton is a MUCH safer proposition for The Bills than it is for the Panthers because Buffalo has Fitz in House already...And Fitz may not be a Franchise guy, but he's 100 times better than anything Carolina has right now...Which means IF Carolina takes a QB at #1 overall they are all but forced to play the Kid right away...

I think the other factor here is despite what the Nation seems to think about Clausen, I'm guessing the Panthers internally are much higher on him...It's just a guess (and I live in Charlotte, but I'm still just guessing here)...The same GM that Drafted him last year is still the Panthers GM today...And Fox was a lame duck at that point, so you better believe the Clausen Pick was Hurney and Richardson...And what if Clausen improves dramatically? He could easily beat the Kid out...If you look at Clausen's College Career he made huge strides from his Freshman to his Jr. year...I mean HUGE strides...If the Panthers take Gabbert, and Clausen is clearly the better QB, how good will Dareus look to them at that point?

So all in all I guess the #1 Pick in the Draft is just about totally dependent on what The Panthers think about Jimmy Clausen...It's funny in a way because I'm about 100% sure The Bills take Gabbert if he's there at #3...But it all depends on The Panthers and Clausen...Weird huh? B-)

Yes, thats exactly my point.

I also said nothing about Newton or Gabbert. In fact, both knocks you hear on them is "they never took snaps from under center" My point is thats not a big deal. These guys are the best athletes in the WORLD. I think they can it figure out.

Im not saying they arent important, I am just saying they are incredibly easy to learn. I could teach you a 3, 5, and 7 step drop in 15 mins after we each had a couple beers in Drive 5.

The act of carrying out a fake or turning your back to the D isnt the difficult part (unless of course you struggle turning your head and shoulders 90 dgrees one way before turning them back 90 degrees the other way). The physical act of doing that is not difficult. The difficult part is mental - being able to locate your WRs and see where the D is after doing it - because you blind yourself turning your head.

Timing is influenced by the drop but again the physical part is not difficult. Its the mental aspect of determining where to go at the top of your drop, so that you can get your feet into position. That is true whether you are in the shotgun or under center If you hesitate at the top of the drop then yes you wont know how to position your feet, but if its a drill in practice and the WR will be open on a 15 yard comeback route then its not going to be an issue.

On the other hand, you're giving too much credit to the "being a great athlete" part. There are plenty of drafted QBs that fail in the NFL. Many fail because of sloppy mechanics, inattention to detail, bad habits, and just thinking they can continue to excel based on pure athleticism, after all it worked to get them to the NFL. Mike Vick is an incredible athlete who could run and throw, but it wasn't until he got to the Eagles recently that he actually started working on his footwork and learning how to play the position.

I hear he was able to thread a football through the eye of a (small) sewing needle, handstand on a single finger, bend a spoon locked in a safe, levitate for 11 seconds, meld flatus to moonbeams and hypnotize all present with a single glare. His stool was being strained (by more than one GM) for gold nuggets the size of Charlie Sheen's crack rocks.

Sorry, I don't have a link.

Yep. I actually heard he was genetically engineered by aliens to be able to control the football mentally.

Hey, people who've forgotten more about football than I'll ever know said he looked good, so what do I know. I guess it's just hard for me to get excited about a guy who put up pedestrian numbers in an offense that his predecessor lit it up in.

Gabbert didn't have Jeremy Maclin and Chase Coffman.

On the other hand, you're giving too much credit to the "being a great athlete" part. There are plenty of drafted QBs that fail in the NFL. Many fail because of sloppy mechanics, inattention to detail, bad habits, and just thinking they can continue to excel based on pure athleticism, after all it worked to get them to the NFL. Mike Vick is an incredible athlete who could run and throw, but it wasn't until he got to the Eagles recently that he actually started working on his footwork and learning how to play the position.

Where he improved was the mental aspect of the game, reading defenses etc. His footwork may have improved, but again the footwork while he throws will be equally off from under center as it would from the shotgun. His 5 step drop was fine well before he got to the Eagles. 2 years in prison didnt hurt him either.

This whole debate started when I said people put way too much into players not takign snaps from under center in college (taking the snap, 3, 5 and 7 step dropws) - not saying footwork is not important.

Edited by Thoner7

The guy might be the #1 overall pick. You'd think he'd raise the level of the talent around him.

Or everyone around him will lower his. I know it's not the best example in the world, or even a good one if feel that opposed to it but Jimmy C.(not saying he is comparable to Gabbert) didn't do much to raise his teams ability last year in the limited amount of games he played and was supposed to be something special.

I have no doubts 1 player can make the rest of the team better but there is always that other side of the coin I worry about more. Especially in Buffalo.

I am very impressed with this young man. He showed great poise yesterday and is actually mentally focused on the game, not on the fame.

Love his comment that indirectly rebutted Newton in The Buffalo News article:

Without mentioning Auburn’s Cam Newton, Gabbert alluded to the Heisman Trophy winner’s infamous pre-combine comment about becoming an “icon and entertainer.” For Gabbert — a finance major at Missouri — it’s been strictly business the last two months, concluding with Thursday’s workout.

“My sole focus is on football,” Gabbert said. “I’m not here to entertain anybody. I’m here to get the playbook and throw the football.”

I wanted defense in the first round, but this kid has gained my attention without question. He appears to be a player, not some cocky personality. I would seriously consider him for the #3 if he is still there.

If you're the GM of the Bills, you know that at some point you NEED to invest in the QB position. Why not this year, when a) the draft is deep at your other need positions in later rounds and b) when you have, in effect, 2 very high picks (at #3 and #34)?

The wonderlic on Gabbert came in great. Assuming his "personal time" with Buddy went equally well, I think if Gabbert is still on the board at #3, Buddy will send the card forward with Gabbert's name on it.

Where he improved was the mental aspect of the game, reading defenses etc. His footwork may have improved, but again the footwork while he throws will be equally off from under center as it would from the shotgun. His 5 step drop was fine well before he got to the Eagles. 2 years in prison didn’t hurt him either.

This whole debate started when I said people put way too much into players not takign snaps from under center in college (taking the snap, 3, 5 and 7 step dropws) - not saying footwork is not important.

If by people you mean GMs, coaches, scouts, etc. then yes, way too much stock is put into taking snaps from center. Taking snaps from center and properly executing various drops is what allows QBs to throw on time which is just a fancy way of saying when the receiver is making his break. This rhythm between a QB and his receivers is the key to the precision-timed passing game predominant in the NFL. It's why receivers need to run precise routes. It also helps OLmen execute blocks. If the QB isn't on time, then there is no hope for the passing game to succeed consistently. It all breaks down. It's all about timing. And the drop backs from center are key.

It may indeed be easy to teach. But judging by how poorly so many QBs execute this fundamental skill, it is extremely difficult to master.

QBing from the shotgun is a different animal altogether with regard to footwork.

GO BILLS!!!

Compared to....you need to go back to elementary school to improve your reading comprehension skills, yours is of a 1st grader, if that. I'll spell it out for you ok? I said, I thought what he did with Fitz and the offense last year was amazing.... Where did I say that our offense was amazing? I don't expect a reply, you know your wrong. Go troll someone else please.

It's always amusing when someone says something kind of silly and then claims others just didn't understand what was being said.

Anyway, to help you out some:

This offense can't put points on the board. They had two big games scoring and that was it. They scored one more point per game than last season. In the last 6 games, the offense scored a total of 5 TDs. They scored none in the last 2 weeks. They averaged 9 points per game over their last 6 games.

If you are truly amazed by that then I stand corrected.

From looking at the stats, it appears that Gailey and crew made fairly substantial improvements to the passing game, however, I really don't see marked improvement (stats wise) to the offense as a whole. In other words, I wouldn't say that "amazing" progress was made. Perhaps this is an endorsement for improving the offensive line, or dare I say it, the QB, via the draft.

I agree with the bolded part. I think the big difference this year was Fitz, not Gailey. Fitz was frequently changing the called play at the line, scrambling, improvising. The play calling in the overtime games, however, was one dimensional.

Edited by Mr. WEO

If so, he won't look good to us in a Panthers uni.

Shh, don't tell anybody.

Exactly...

I'll hold out hope till Draft day that the Panthers will go elsewhere...Regardless of what anyone says Dareus will tug at Carolina's heartstrings the same way he will Buffalo's if he slides to #3...He looks to be BY FAR the safest Pick in this Draft...Just yesterday Panthers beat Reporter Darin Gantt had the Panthers taking Dareus in his latest Mock...Interior Line is a HUGE need for Carolina as well...

I fully expect The Panthers to take Gabbert...So don't get me wrong here...But choosing Gabbert or even Newton is a MUCH safer proposition for The Bills than it is for the Panthers because Buffalo has Fitz in House already...And Fitz may not be a Franchise guy, but he's 100 times better than anything Carolina has right now...Which means IF Carolina takes a QB at #1 overall they are all but forced to play the Kid right away...

I think the other factor here is despite what the Nation seems to think about Clausen, I'm guessing the Panthers internally are much higher on him...It's just a guess (and I live in Charlotte, but I'm still just guessing here)...The same GM that Drafted him last year is still the Panthers GM today...And Fox was a lame duck at that point, so you better believe the Clausen Pick was Hurney and Richardson...And what if Clausen improves dramatically? He could easily beat the Kid out...If you look at Clausen's College Career he made huge strides from his Freshman to his Jr. year...I mean HUGE strides...If the Panthers take Gabbert, and Clausen is clearly the better QB, how good will Dareus look to them at that point?

So all in all I guess the #1 Pick in the Draft is just about totally dependent on what The Panthers think about Jimmy Clausen...It's funny in a way because I'm about 100% sure The Bills take Gabbert if he's there at #3...But it all depends on The Panthers and Clausen...Weird huh? B-)

Clausen better? :lol: but I hope you are right 0:)

Shh, don't tell anybody.

Clausen better? :lol: but I hope you are right 0:)

It was his Rookie year and The Panthers really had no intention of playing him...I have NO idea what kind of Pro QB Clausen will end up being, and I'm glad right now the Bills did not take him...But I don't see any reason anyone should assume he's going to continue to suck out loud just because he had a bad Rookie Year on a terrible Offensive Football Team...And I mean the Panthers were brutal Offensively...That could not have possibly been all Clausen's fault...

Stranger things have happened than assuming Clausen will get better...That's all I'm saying...I'd rather have Gabbert...But it would be interesting to see what Gailey and The Bills would do had they picked Clausen in the 2nd Round last Season...It's really an interesting situation... B-)

lol, you can almost guarantee there will be a piece on ESPN later tonight talking about how Gabbert "impressed" during his pro day, and now he's the top rated QB on most teams boards...or some crap

Yeah, that sounds familiar for some reason...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/draft/2007-03-15-russell-pro-day_N.htm

I agree with the bolded part. I think the big difference this year was Fitz, not Gailey. Fitz was frequently changing the called play at the line, scrambling, improvising. The play calling in the overtime games, however, was one dimensional.

You make a good point about Fitz changing plays (sucessfully)...Did you ever watch Trent change plays? Whenever I saw him begin an audible I'd immediately smack my hand to my head (this repetition may have caused long lasting trauma), because it was sure to be a disaster.

Yeah, that sounds familiar for some reason...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/draft/2007-03-15-russell-pro-day_N.htm

:lol: Thank you! That's exactly the piont Im making with these pro day things...too bad jamarcus didn't "wow" them when he actually played in the NFL... :rolleyes: