Rush a class act as always

It's a serious problem. With the 24-hour news cycle and "news" media that is tailored to specific demographics, people can live their lives without ever having their worldviews challenged. It seems a very sheep-like way to live one's life.

I completely agree. One of the reasons I like RealClearPolitics is that you can get a pretty good clip of all worldviews from varying degress of political slants.

Here's an interesting read from a writer at HuffPost that I found somewhat noteworthy. The article doesn't address the worldview bubble issue so much as it gives a pretty good sample of how polarizing politics are today.You have an admittedly liberal HuffPost blogger who has no problem providing the alternate voice for Breitbart at BigGovernment.com because he genuinely wants to use the opportunity to provide the other side of an argument on a heavily right-leaining website.

Of course, he gets killed in the comments section, which only fortifies his position. But I thought it was a decent article.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually DO listen to Limbaugh, but consider myself smart enough to tell the difference between his goading of media matters and the left and when he's serious. If you got even TWO brain cells to rub together and youve listened to him for rmore than a weekend, its pretty easy to tell the difference.

You think he manages to ride that razor thin line between pissing off the left and getting into newscasts, yet NEVER pulling an "Imus" and losing sponsors and getting kicked off the air all by accident?

Right-wing media conspiracy? :rolleyes:

This is similar to a conversation I attempted to have with billy bob, which is that in order to have a well-rounded view and perspective of things in the way that they really are, you have to get your news from more than one view point and from there formulate things the best you can. Unfortunately many of you are incapable of doing this, which is why at least half of the threads are filled with recycled **** from the previous days talking maestros view points.

I completely agree. One of the reasons I like RealClearPolitics is that you can get a pretty good clip of all worldviews from varying degress of political slants.

Here's an interesting read from a writer at HuffPost that I found somewhat noteworthy. The article doesn't address the worldview bubble issue so much as it gives a pretty good sample of how polarizing politics are today.You have an admittedly liberal HuffPost blogger who has no problem providing the alternate voice for Breitbart at BigGovernment.com because he genuinely wants to use the opportunity to provide the other side of an argument on a heavily right-leaining website.

Of course, he gets killed in the comments section, which only fortifies his position. But I thought it was a decent article.

My statement wasn't directed at just the left or just the right. HuffPo definitely fits the category. I'm not familiar enough with RealClearPolitics to comment, but the "he gets killed in the comments section" remark might be an indication that they allow liberal columnists in the "Alan Colmes", fun to ridicule sort of way.

Thanks Bub, I appreciate that.

If that's an admission, color me disappointed. :)

If that's an admission, color me disappointed. :)

The only real knock on Limbaugh is that he's a Republican homer. No doubt about it. But the guy does a good show. I like to support Rush because he gets unfairly villified all the time with out of context quotes and ****ty press coverage that is really beyond the pale. To listen to conventional wisdom you'd think he was a conservative version of Olbermann, which is far from accurate.

The only real knock on Limbaugh is that he's a Republican homer. No doubt about it. But the guy does a good show. I like to support Rush because he gets unfairly villified all the time with out of context quotes and ****ty press coverage that is really beyond the pale. To listen to conventional wisdom you'd think he was a conservative version of Olbermann, which is far from accurate.

I've got no time for any of them. They're all a bunch of manipulative hypocrites.

As always, the Rush haters take a quote out of context. He was making fun of the lamestream media that is reporting on the recycling, instead of reporting on the quake and tsunami itself. If you read the transcript for the whole segment, he was criticizing Diane Sawyer for reporting on that.

As always, the Rush haters take a quote out of context. He was making fun of the lamestream media that is reporting on the recycling, instead of reporting on the quake and tsunami itself. If you read the transcript for the whole segment, he was criticizing Diane Sawyer for reporting on that.

As always, the Rush lemmings will jump to defend his every word and action.

I'm not saying there's not a difference between Rush and Olbermann - I could probably make the case, but I'll just skip it because it's not important to my argument. With that in mind, we can say that they're not the same animal. So I'll ask this: do you really think that you, presumably a Rush Limbaugh fan and/or devotee, are any different at all from the Olbermann faithful who you despise so much?

I'm not saying there's not a difference between Rush and Olbermann - I could probably make the case, but I'll just skip it because it's not important to my argument. With that in mind, we can say that they're not the same animal. So I'll ask this: do you really think that you, presumably a Rush Limbaugh fan and/or devotee, are any different at all from the Olbermann faithful who you despise so much?

You've already said you don't have time for either of their crap, so I'm not sure why you're trying to advance the conversation, but I can tell you from my own experience: I've listened to an evenly decent amount of Rush and Olbermann, and what you're suggesting (in relative terms) is the equivalent of suggesting people who watch Bill O'Reilly are somehow no different than the people who watch Dora the Explorer.

There's a reason no one outside the message boards hears from, thinks about, or even discusses Keith Olbermann any more. The people who followed him -- all 47 of them -- are like no one else you know.

I usually catch the local semi-conservative guys until 10AM, then listen to Dennis Miller on the internet until noon (Rush is on 9 AM-noon here). Rarely listen to Rush anymore. I did catch him talking about this today though.

Olberdork was bat **** crazy.

(1)As always, the Rush lemmings will jump to defend his every word and action.

I'm not saying there's not a difference between Rush and Olbermann - I could probably make the case, but I'll just skip it because it's not important to my argument. (2)With that in mind, we can say that they're not the same animal. So I'll ask this: do you really think that you, presumably a Rush Limbaugh fan and/or devotee, are any different at all from the Olbermann faithful who you despise so much?

1. When a man's statements are clearly misrepresented it is those that expose the truth that are the lemmings?

2. The difference is I think the Olbermann crowd is either stupid or adopted idealistic principles before being educated enough to know better, then tied those beliefs into their identity, and are no longer able to take a logical approach to those issues. They think that conservatives and libertarians are evil and hate children, poor people, minorities, and animals.

1. When a man's statements are clearly misrepresented it is those that expose the truth that are the lemmings?

2. The difference is I think the Olbermann crowd is either stupid or adopted idealistic principles before being educated enough to know better, then tied those beliefs into their identity, and are no longer able to take a logical approach to those issues. They think that conservatives and libertarians are evil and hate children, poor people, minorities, and animals.

Well, DCTom hates everyone and he could be considered conservative in most instances. :devil:

You're looking at it from a Republican/Conservative point of view. Are you implying that Rush's key demographic is not idealistic? More educated? Not tied to a particular worldview or identity? Logical? Tolerant of liberal viewpoints?

Just because YOU seem rational at times does not mean you are representative of the demographic. These are two sides of the same coin.

You're looking at it from a Republican/Conservative point of view. Are you implying that Rush's key demographic is not idealistic? More educated? Not tied to a particular worldview or identity? Logical? Tolerant of liberal viewpoints?

Just because YOU seem rational at times does not mean you are representative of the demographic. These are two sides of the same coin.

No. Again, you are talking about 2 different groups of people...uh that's why the word "demographic" is being used here. :wallbash:

The average Rush listener is older and more likely to have a job that allows them to listen to radio in the first place. Therefore, Limbaugh's demographics are determined a lot by default, rather than by design, before you we even get into content. It's only after we apply the defaults that, if you are honest, you realize that the people you are left with are likely to be: business owners, higher level white collar employees, truck drivers(business owners), etc. THEN we can say, "well, they sure as hell don't want to listen to whiny, liberal platitudes, now do they?" Hence, Rush = Epic Win, Air America = Epic Fail. Limbaugh is most guilty of knowing his audience better than anyone.

Then, remember that we are talking about "entertainment" here, not "news". The fact that Limbaugh has an incredible talent to educate his audience on things like "how the Federal reserve works", or some other piece of government bureaucracy, in 5 minutes or less, doesn't mean that he's stops being an "entertainer" and starts being a serious news outlet. Seriously, Limbaugh could have been a great college professor if he had wanted. That's why he has the audience he does, and that's why they have stayed. If he was only a hack, and not also willing to fully explain, not only his positions, but their context and their relevance, his show would only be an hour, and would have died long ago.

In contrast, I never learned a thing from watching Olbermann. In fact, there were many occasions when watching him where, given the same material, I could have done a better job attacking Republicans. My "FUTILITY" accusations are more about how bad they are at their jobs, not the quality of their ideas. It became a sort of game for me, which is the only thing that made it "entertaining". I think I may start doing the same thing with posts here. Should be good for a few lulz.

Edited by OCinBuffalo