Bills #1 pick will be on Defense

Folks when you look at the AFC East who is the player that is the Best? Tom Brady

No doubt about it, the player that we have to defend 2 times a year happens to be the MVP. So it stands to reason that the Bills will draft the best Defensive player on the board. It is not rocket science, matter of fact it's easy to see.

Now the Best players on the board to me are P. Peterson , Bowers, Von Miller . Do they take a risk on Bowers maybe the next Peppers?

Peterson maybe the next Darrell Revis but bigger and faster.

Miller stock is climbing, plus the Bills staff saw him up close and personal.

Peterson will be the pick my reasons being the draft is deep at DL and DE and you can put Peterson on the teams best WR and blitz Brady until he cant walk....

If Merriman can come back do they need Miller?...that's a big if but we do have Moats also who they like alot.

Just don't see them passing on a shutdown corner and I hope they don't fall in love with Newton so much that they ignore what they need most...... DEFENSE

Edited by Bufcomments

Nick Fairley has a reputation for late hits on QBs and playing with a mean streak. I would like him to get well acquainted with Brady.

Great thought but who had the better Combine....Darius or Fairley?

Still I would pick Peterson over those two.

Folks when you look at the AFC East who is the player that is the Best? Tom Brady

No doubt about it, the player that we have to defend 2 times a year happens to be the MVP. So it stands to reason that the Bills will draft the best Defensive player on the board. It is not rocket science, matter of fact it's easy to see.

Now the Best players on the board to me are P. Peterson , Bowers, Von Miller . Do they take a risk on Bowers maybe the next Peppers?

Peterson will be the pick my reasons being the draft is deep at DL and DE and you can put Peterson on the teams best WR and blitz Brady until he cant walk....

If Merriman can come back do they need Miller?...that's a big if but we do have Moats also who they like alot.

Just don't see them passing on a shutdown corner and I hope they don't fall in love with Newton so much that they ignore what they need most...... DEFENSE

Can you provide a reason for the Spiller pick?

the best way to beat brady.... is to put him on his can with pressure straight up the middle. peterson is NOT a shut down corner....he is McKelvin 2.....great athlete, fast as hell, great return man, average cover skills.

+1

This is EXACTLY the formula that Polian followed when Marino reigned in the AFCE. Your first goal as a team HAS to be to win your division. That's why he went out and got Bennett. When he did, Shula was quoted as saying, "Buffalo just got a pass rush."

Of course we had Bruce at DE so it'll be interesting to see how they go. If they feel Darius (for example) is better than Miller, that's what they'll do. They may even go for another pass rushing DE. It frees up so many option when you have a DE that can bring pressure by himself. If they don't perceive a DE in the draft that has that ability, I can see them going with Miller, the best pass rushing LB out there, in the opinion of many.

GO BILLS!!!

Bills can't stop the run they need to draft Dareus if he is there at 3. The guy can play DE or NT in a 3-4 and he can play DT in a 4-3. Give me a D-line composed of Dareus-Troup-Williams with Edwards and Carrington rotating in at the DE's and Williams spot playing NT. Then in the second round the team needs to draft a big time MLB to pair up with Poz. Fixing the run D should be a priority I think that the secondary is ok as is Byrd playing in the system for a second season, McKelvin and Mcgee are decent corners, Wilson is a solid safety and they can resign Florence to add depth.

They should also look to get a RT via trade up in round 2. RT is the biggest need on the offensive side of the ball.

Edited by billsfan89

No doubt about it, the player that we have to defend 2 times a year happens to be the MVP. So it stands to reason that the Bills will draft the best Defensive player on the board. It is not rocket science, matter of fact it's easy to see.....

Great! If it's that easy to see, then why don't you grab a seat next to Buddy, Chan & Tom in the war room that Thursday evening next month and remind them how easy it is to see.

Tom Brady was the best player in the AFC East going into last year's draft, yet Buddy grabbed C.J. Spiller with his first pick, followed up by two small school defensive lineman, and those 3 collectively had very little impact against New England twice last year.

First of all, I don't agree that the Bills "must" draft defense with the number 3 pick in the entire draft anyway. I think they would be crazy not to draft either Gabbert or Newton with such a high pick. Top 5 picks only come around once every 5 to 10 years for teams that are even as annually bad as the Bills, and that's where you draft the franchise QB's - in the top 5, in most cases.

But, even if you're right and Buddy and the boys do draft defense, you have no idea what player he will draft, or if he will even use the pick at all. He may just trade down and get an extra pick or two out of it.

Always remember with the Buffalo Bills on draft day, there is no player obsure enough and no college small enough to escape the trained eyes of Bills' scouts. Bottom line? There is nothing about the draft that the Bills find "easy to see". I would not be surprised if they pick a player that none of us see coming! :doh:

Just don't see them passing on a shutdown corner

Why will he be like Revis? Because he is fast? Because he is big? Because he can jump high? Everything that makes Revis great is related to his coverage and ball skills, not his measurables, and I haven't seen many people focusing on these things when eveluating Peterson. When they do they normally talk about "Stiff Hips" and "Maybe a Safety".

He might be the next elite CB like Darrell and Nnamdi, but not based on all the reasons that are getting people excited right now. I don't think he is the best player we can get at #3, so I would be disappointed with the selection.

If it really is a tossup, I love a front-7 defensive pick, but at #3 I want the best football player we can get, and if Green or Gabbert is better than the defensive options, I will be very happy with that.

And I am on the Spiller bandwagon. Too many people are giving up on him after a season. I think he was the best pick available on draft day, and could very likely still be better on the field than any player taken after him.

If you want to beat Brady you have to pressure him. If he has all day no CB on Earth can help you. Pick a pass rusher.

PTR

This

If you want to beat Brady you have to pressure him. If he has all day no CB on Earth can help you. Pick a pass rusher.

PTR

Indeed. And if as a Bill's fan you don't like Miller or Bowers (assuming they are the two highest rated pass rushers on the boards of the venerable TBD posters), then think what Fairley or Dareus can do for the DE/OLBs by providing pressure up the middle w/ Kyle Williams.

Indeed. And if as a Bill's fan you don't like Miller or Bowers (assuming they are the two highest rated pass rushers on the boards of the venerable TBD posters), then think what Fairley or Dareus can do for the DE/OLBs by providing pressure up the middle w/ Kyle Williams.

+1 ... right on the money about a pass rush and not giving Brady all day (per PTR) and what you say here about the middle guys. I also tend to agree with BillsPhan about the possibility of grabbing a QB at #3 but that completely depends on what the Bills see or don't see in Gabbert and Newton regardless of all the hype and so-called expert opinions. We also need an offensive tackle\guard somewhere in the middle rounds if we get a couple of the Defensive guys we need earlier.

Also, just an observation but how many times did Brady attempt and connect with deep balls after Moss left? Pressure and somehow adding quality LB's to help cover the backs and tight ends will stop or at least help us to beat captain dink and dunk.

Brady will be 34 in August. Now I'm not God, but I do know it won't be too many more seasons until Brady starts to wear down. Brett Favre started to show signs of wear & tear by his mid 30s, Payton Manning threw a ton of picks during a horrible mid season stretch. I don't think we'll see Brady throw 36 tds and 4 ints as he did in '10 ever again. That said why worry about Brady? Let's worry about us. We need a guy to build our franchise around. Franchise guys will be found in this draft, fact of the matter is most guys are found in the first round. I will be happy with any of the guys we take, so long as they have a dominant career.

Brady will be 34 in August. Now I'm not God, but I do know it won't be too many more seasons until Brady starts to wear down. Brett Favre started to show signs of wear & tear by his mid 30s, Payton Manning threw a ton of picks during a horrible mid season stretch. I don't think we'll see Brady throw 36 tds and 4 ints as he did in '10 ever again. That said why worry about Brady? Let's worry about us. We need a guy to build our franchise around. Franchise guys will be found in this draft, fact of the matter is most guys are found in the first round. I will be happy with any of the guys we take, so long as they have a dominant career.

After you hit 30 you start to feel every broken bone and operation you ever had. Every day. Every day.

Let's hope The Bills never ever pick this high again in the draft.

That said, this would be the time to grab THE franchise QB.

The Bills have never used "their own" #1 pick to draft a QB.

Kelly and Losman were both taken as the second #1 pick The Bills had in those years.

I've always thought that it's Ralph that calls the shot on the first pick.

I think he gets his jollies off on doing that, and then leaves the rest for the hired help.

I also think that last year was an exception - in that he wanted to pick and would have picked Tebow in the 2nd, but "Denver panicked" and grabbed him first.

He's stated publicly this year that he needs a QB.

That said, I hope Buddy does his homework and convinces Ralph to pick the right guy.

Personally, of the choices out there, I think it should be Gabbert, but I've got this crazy feeling that RW is thinking Newton.

Picking the wrong guy is going to drive this franchise over the cliff for another decade.

Once the highlight reel is drafted, Buddy better get to work drafting the biggest, fastest, toughest big men that he can.

That's how I see things.

After you hit 30 you start to feel every broken bone and operation you ever had. Every day. Every day.

Let's hope The Bills never ever pick this high again in the draft.

That said, this would be the time to grab THE franchise QB.

The Bills have never used "their own" #1 pick to draft a QB.

Kelly and Losman were both taken as the second #1 pick The Bills had in those years.

I've always thought that it's Ralph that calls the shot on the first pick.

I think he gets his jollies off on doing that, and then leaves the rest for the hired help.

I also think that last year was an exception - in that he wanted to pick and would have picked Tebow in the 2nd, but "Denver panicked" and grabbed him first.

He's stated publicly this year that he needs a QB.

That said, I hope Buddy does his homework and convinces Ralph to pick the right guy.

Personally, of the choices out there, I think it should be Gabbert, but I've got this crazy feeling that RW is thinking Newton.

Picking the wrong guy is going to drive this franchise over the cliff for another decade.

Once the highlight reel is drafted, Buddy better get to work drafting the biggest, fastest, toughest big men that he can.

That's how I see things.

Not if you have tigerblood....

What part of this wasn't tried six ways to Sunday with Nate Clements? And that was with a much better DL/LB set (Schoebel in his prime, Sam Adams, Fletcher, Spikes) than we have now.

Putting a rookie CB on an island and expecting him to cover someone like Wes Welker for 6-7 seconds is a recipe for failure. And you'll break the kid's spirit in the meantime even if you do manage to build a Front-7 in front of him w/in a few years.

There's a reason why you build a foundation before you put up trim.

Edited by UConn James

Can you provide a reason for the Spiller pick?

Stupidity-ineptitude-moronic first come to mind, but then perhaps those words should be reserved for Jauron and his Aaron Maybin-John McCargo picks....still, Spiller was a waste last year when the team desperately needed LB's and a RT.

I wouldn't be against drafting the best defensive player in this years draft in Peterson, or if he is gone then a DT-DE-LB.... yea, DEFENSE!

The run defense needs the biggest upgrade, next is O line. Should the Bills ignore the O line again this draft I think they will have another 3-13 season, or worse. I don't see Fitz lasting more then 5 games with the current O line

You mentioned Farve....he played until he was 40

Mannings problems was with his WR's getting banged up and they were not on the same page, that's not a wear and tear issue.

Brady, sad to say has easy 4 or 5 years left. He might not be the MVP next year but you have to admit he would be in the running. I would be concerned with that because we play him 2 times a year. Even if we draft Newton or Gabbert we talking two more years before they are truly ready. I don't believe those guys are franchise QBs JMO

Why will he be like Revis? Because he is fast? Because he is big? Because he can jump high? Everything that makes Revis great is related to his coverage and ball skills, not his measurables, and I haven't seen many people focusing on these things when eveluating Peterson. When they do they normally talk about "Stiff Hips" and "Maybe a Safety".

He might be the next elite CB like Darrell and Nnamdi, but not based on all the reasons that are getting people excited right now. I don't think he is the best player we can get at #3, so I would be disappointed with the selection.

If it really is a tossup, I love a front-7 defensive pick, but at #3 I want the best football player we can get, and if Green or Gabbert is better than the defensive options, I will be very happy with that.

And I am on the Spiller bandwagon. Too many people are giving up on him after a season. I think he was the best pick available on draft day, and could very likely still be better on the field than any player taken after him.

He maybe the player that can helps us right now the most, and you add that McGee cant stay healthy and McKelvin not the sharpest pencil in the drawer AND Florance a FA CB would be a need.

My point is they need D more than they need a QB right now.