Peterson to visit Bills

Beerball

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't agree more, so I won't. :rolleyes:

You know, as much as I complain, I won't be one of the fans that we lose. I have been to RWS for 17 consecutive years. I am a part of this thing; it's too late for me. Other fans will be less generous.

This franchise has proven that if you try to build a football team through the secondary, you will lose football games. This would be beyond dispute to any reasonable football fan, let alone a Bills Fan.

It wouldn't matter if Peterson is a better corner than Mel Blount. The Bills would lose. I would rather see them take a chance with Newton, or even Mallett. Or, trade down and concentrate on only offensive and defensive linemen. Spiller was a stupid pick; Peterson would signal the end imo. There just wouldn't be time for the Bills to build a winning team, and the young fans would really have no reason to ever believe that this team is capable of winning. My fear is that I really can envision us losing the franchise to another city if this kind of blatant stupidity continues to abound.

This franchise has proven that if you try to build a football team through the secondary, you will lose football games. This would be beyond dispute to any reasonable football fan, let alone a Bills Fan.

Not only this, but Buddy Nix' credibility needs to be called into question. Last year he said the OL would be a major area to improve and they did jack there. Now, he's admitted that the NFL's 32nd ranked run defense needs help. Drafting Peterson would probably constitute a BPA, but does nothing to improve their porous rush D.

Oh, and for history's sake, SD used their top pick during Butler/Smith/Nix' first year on a RB. Guy's a HOF'er. In their second draft, they used a top 5 pick on a, wait for it...a CB. Back then, it took them 3 full seasons and 4 off-seasons to rebuild (2001-04). I'm not sure with a drafting strategy to take BPA no matter what that they'll even rebuild that quickly.

That's awesome. Other than the high drafting teams he also met with Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton. Those guys are no dummies. Peterson is a HUGE talent and we should be ECSTATIC if he there's at #3. But given the attention methinks he may not.

It is just a visit. They have lots of people who will come in for visits and I for one am glad that they are looking into every option to determine who is the best pick for them at #3. Stop reading into it so much.

There is more than one way to execute a draft. I would say it is imperative to take advantage of the draft's positions of strength - this year that is, in my opinion, D-line, OLB, and QB. That is a perfect fit for Buffalo. When you look at potential one-two picks that will together add to the Defense, one can argue that Peterson (making a Peterson, Florence, McGee, and McKelvin cb combo one of the league's best, potentially) at 3, and with our second someone like Cameron Heyward, or Marvin Austin - a D-lineman prospect who might go in the fist in a different year, and with our 3rd we pick up someone like Mathews or Kelvin Sheppard - and there, we have a defense that might be pretty good.

I'd rather we get Dareus, Quinn, or Fairley with the one pick, Wilson or Ponder/Locker with our second, and a linebacker with the 3rd - but, I guess my point is there is enough talent in this draft to walk away with starters at three or four positions - and potentially good ones - if the cards are played right.

I think the fans should have reasonably given this staff until this season to show a competitive team; and they should be able to put a team out there that looks like it is ascending, becoming a playoff team. If after this draft/offseason we're still 2-3 years away, I think we can take that to mean there is a value higher than winning in the minds of ownership and management. But either way, it will be a lot clearer by mid-summer.

Drafting Peterson would probably constitute a BPA, but does nothing to improve their porous rush D.

Oh, and for history's sake, SD used their top pick during Butler/Smith/Nix' first year on a RB. Guy's a HOF'er. In their second draft, they used a top 5 pick on a, wait for it...a CB. Back then, it took them 3 full seasons and 4 off-seasons to rebuild (2001-04).

Peterson is not the best player available, and I have my doubts that he is the best CB available. Again a position all about ball skills and instincts not about measureables. If I hear more about his football skills and less about his weight and 40 time I might think about it.

If he were really the best player available I would have no problem, but it is nearly impossible for a DB to be the best player available at draft time.

Revis #14

Rod Woodson #10

Nnamdi Asomugha #31

Ed Reed #24

Not an ultimate list, but what makes a truly great DB is not always clear at draft time, and I don't see the football skills for Peterson that make him a top 3 player.

If I thought Peterson was actually the best player I would have no problem with him. We have added a #2 and a #3 DL last year, added Merriman, and I think while I want improving our front seven is still key, picking a second best option at #3 to do so is dumb.

I think we are very fortunate that most of the players I think are in the top 10 BPA are front 7 (along with Green, Peterson, Gabbert).

The reason taking Peterson at #3 would be a mistake is that he is not the best player available. He is no guarantee to be an elite corner (or even stay at corner). He doesn't dramatically improve our very good return game.

My board right now would be:

Dareus

Green

Quinn

Fairley

Miller

Bowers

Peterson

Gabbert

Amukamara

Jones

I would be happy with one of the first five and pretty disappointed to take someone after that at #3

The more and more I read this board, the more and more I realize how stupid so many of us bills fans are. SO many people making "matter of fact" statements when all it is, is an opinion. "Peterson is NOT the best player in the draft". Oh really? I figured they should play a couple years before you can make that statement. An "IMO" once in awhile would make you sound less STUPID.

I really hope that this visit is only a bluff. If they select him, the damage to this franchise will be beyond repair imo.

I really respect your opinion, but I've got to say picks like Peterson don't damage franchises. I'm not even saying I want him, but the guy is a freak talent. I also get the stopping the run thing, obviously, but there are rounds 2-7.

What damages franchises is when guys like Troup, Carrington, Moats, Batten, McCargo, Maybin, etc don't develop. These are the guys we should be counting on to stop the run, among many other things.

I really respect your opinion, but I've got to say picks like Peterson don't damage franchises. I'm not even saying I want him, but the guy is a freak talent. I also get the stopping the run thing, obviously, but there are rounds 2-7.

What damages franchises is when guys like Troup, Carrington, Moats, Batten, McCargo, Maybin, etc don't develop. These are the guys we should be counting on to stop the run, among many other things.

Well said. Peterson isn't in my top 5 of players I'd like to draft at 3, but if we draft him, and he turns out to ne a superstar as many predict, he will help our team. We will be a better team. The 3rd pick in the draft isn't the ONLY way to address stopping the run. I repsect your opinion as well Bill, but i respectively agree to disagreewith you on this matter.

You know, as much as I complain, I won't be one of the fans that we lose. I have been to RWS for 17 consecutive years. I am a part of this thing; it's too late for me. Other fans will be less generous.

It wouldn't matter if Peterson is a better corner than Mel Blount. The Bills would lose. I would rather see them take a chance with Newton, or even Mallett. Or, trade down and concentrate on only offensive and defensive linemen. Spiller was a stupid pick; Peterson would signal the end imo. There just wouldn't be time for the Bills to build a winning team, and the young fans would really have no reason to ever believe that this team is capable of winning. My fear is that I really can envision us losing the franchise to another city if this kind of blatant stupidity continues to abound.

Today's game is about speed. You get this from:

Cornerbacks, Running Backs, WRs, LBs,

You might get this from:

Safety, QB, TE, DE

You cannot get this from:

OL, DT

Think of it this way: Many years ago there was an ice age that covered the Earth. If the people back then could have chosen from any available boat they would have taken an ice breaker. It moved slow and methodically but it dealt with the problem at hand. Today we do not have those problems so we have cigarette boats and jet skis. Now think of yesterday's NFL as the ice age and today's in warmer climates. Would you rather build a team around ice breaker/lineman or cigarette boats/CBs?

And are you kidding me with Mallett? He is too slow to play QB in 1970 much less today. In an effort to give credit where it is due, he does seem to be nimble if not fast. Maybe his audition for

will move him up a few draft boards, but he should not be on the Bills radar.

Allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment, because I would much rather that the Bills take either DE/DT or LB with that first pick.

If the Bills did draft Peterson, I know some folks would freak out given the fetish that Jauron seemed to have for drafting DBs early. But the infatuation with DBs dates back much further than that. Even during the Polian/Butler years the Bills seemed to like going after DBs in the first couple of rounds. DBs tend to be the most athletically gifted players on the field -- and finding good ones is hard to come by. That's why they cost a fortune in free agency and why teams like the Bills have a hard time keeping good ones around. We all remember Jabari, Nate and Antoine. But remember back to the kinds of contracts that Burris and Odom signed to leave. Thus, interest in drafting DBs early is going to always be perpetual.

Now, let's take it a step further and look at the current roster. I am not sure how much McGee has left in the tank. Although I still have high hopes for McKelvin, he is far from a sure thing. Florence is a free agent as is Youboty, who has never been able to get (and stay) on the field anyway. Thus, there is definite need at the Corner position.

Peterson is an elite player coming out of college. Nothing is a sure thing, but he appears to have all of the skills necessary to be an elite NFL cover corner. Thus, he is one of the safest picks in the draft, especially given that he is a quality return man to boot.

And, lest someone points out that the pass defense is so much better than the run defense... Well, is it really? When teams needed to, they had no trouble passing the ball against the Bills. Part of the reason that the stats look skewed is that the run defense was so bad that opposing offenses really didn't even try to pass very much. I think improving the front 7 will help both the run defense as well as the pass defense, as the pass rush certainly needs to improve. However, we saw in the playoffs that Tom Brady was thwarted by the Jets, not because they managed to get pressure on him -- but because their lock-down corners blanketed his receivers and left him with nowhere to go with the ball.

If Peterson really is the BPA, when the Bills select at #3, then I won't throw a fit if they take him. However, I would hope that they address the front 7 with the next couple of picks, if they do that. Given the depth at DT/DE this year, a good one should fall to 34.