Vikes Looking Into the Possibility Of Trading Up...

Rumor around the water cooler is the Vikings are interested in trading up in the draft. Would the Bills be stupid to oblige? Scenario would likely entail us taking the Vikes 12th & a 4th/5th round pick in '11, plus Vikes 1st round pick in '12.

Without having a FA QB acquisiton option the Vikes are looking to the draft to find another QB. Joe Webb, Tarvaris Jackson are decent QBs but Newton offers a solid foundation to build on with extraordinary potential. The Vikings also have shown a propensity to favor African-American QBs from Randall Cunningham, Daunte Culpepper, to their current QB corps of Joe Webb & Tarvaris Jackson.

The question becomes where do the Vikes finish in '11 if there is football? One would figure Green Bay & Chicago finish '11 higher, factor in Detroit continuing to show improvement. This all said it wouldn't be unthinkable that the Vikes finish in the bottom third of the league again landing us a top 12 pick.

Thoughts?

Rumor around the water cooler is the Vikings are interested in trading up in the draft. Would the Bills be stupid to oblige? Scenario would likely entail us taking the Vikes 12th & a 4th/5th round pick in '11, plus Vikes 1st round pick in '12.

Without having a FA QB acquisiton option the Vikes are looking to the draft to find another QB. Joe Webb, Tarvaris Jackson are decent QBs but Newton offers a solid foundation to build on with extraordinary potential. The Vikings also have shown a propensity to favor African-American QBs from Randall Cunningham, Daunte Culpepper, to their current QB corps of Joe Webb & Tarvaris Jackson.

The question becomes where do the Vikes finish in '11 if there is football? One would figure Green Bay & Chicago finish '11 higher, factor in Detroit continuing to show improvement. This all said it wouldn't be unthinkable that the Vikes finish in the bottom third of the league again landing us a top 12 pick.

Thoughts?

Without a CBA there can be no trading of future picks. Which makes any deal to trade down in the first round far less valuable.

Rumor around the water cooler is the Vikings are interested in trading up in the draft. Would the Bills be stupid to oblige? Scenario would likely entail us taking the Vikes 12th & a 4th/5th round pick in '11, plus Vikes 1st round pick in '12.Without having a FA QB acquisiton option the Vikes are looking to the draft to find another QB. Joe Webb, Tarvaris Jackson are decent QBs but Newton offers a solid foundation to build on with extraordinary potential. The Vikings also have shown a propensity to favor African-American QBs from Randall Cunningham, Daunte Culpepper, to their current QB corps of Joe Webb & Tarvaris Jackson.

Thoughts?

How did you come to this conclusion?(the part I bolded) likely scenario? I don't think so.

There is no way in hell I make that trade for a 4th or 5th this year and next years first. Unless they want to give up a little more than that, say a second and forth this year and next years first, I would stand pat with our # 3 pic.

Hmmm..well well...I guess I may take the rumor more seriously if it were from a cabbie in NYC..lol...but I'll play the game...okay..It's not my favorite trade down scenario because I'd like to stay within the top 9 picks, but 12 should give you a shot at an impact player, particularily in this draft where there really isn't a clear cut- runaway #1,2,3,4 player...I guess Dareus, Bowers, Fairley, Newton, Peterson, Miller & Green will all be gone by #12, but you still might get a Gabbert, Solder, Amukamara, Carunum, Quinn, Jones, or Ingram at #12 which all have potential.

Even though I'd rather get an extra pick early this year, I think serious consideration would have to be give to have the opportunity to have two 1st round picks next year! Remember Nix often states it's not just what you do for today, but more about what you do for the Buffalo Bills longterm future as an organization that is most important! That's not his exact words verbatim, but close..

I think if they threw in Tavaris Jackson, with this years 4th rounder, and next years 1st rounder, and this years #12 the Bills should do the deal!

I still feel that their is a better possiblity to trade with the S.F. 49'ERS at #7 (which would be a better position for us as we would get an impact player). The reason I think the 49'ers are interested is the new coaching staff is in it's first year and often a new head coach wants his own guy at QB. Also from what I understand that Jim Harbaugh when coaching at Stanford initially tried to recruit Blaine Gabbert as their QB, but that fell through and instead they got a guy named Andrew Luck...lol

So, this just might be the opportunity to get B. Gabbert finally even though S.Fran plans to install a West Coast Offense which could make a case for Cam Newton? If this trade scenario comes to fruitation I'd like the Bills to swap for the 7th pick, get S.F.'s 45th pick in the 2nd round and 4th round this year or 3rd round next year in return. Just adding more spice to an already interesting scenario. Had fun..thanks for putting your trade scenario out there for us!

Thoughts?

Without a CBA there can be no trading of future picks. Which makes any deal to trade down in the first round far less valuable.

Not true according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette: http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/108526-ed-steelers-can-trade-future-picks

How did you come to this conclusion?(the part I bolded) likely scenario? I don't think so.

There is no way in hell I make that trade for a 4th or 5th this year and next years first. Unless they want to give up a little more than that, say a second and forth this year and next years first, I would stand pat with our # 3 pic.

This is all hypothetical. This is probably what they will offer upfront. From a pure point standpoint we'd give up 2200 acquire a 1200, get 36 with their 5th rd, & probably get 1200 with their 1st next year. We probably would want to counter with their 2nd or 3rd rd pick this year instead of a 4th or 5th.

Edited by BiggieScooby

Agreed. I don't care what any draft chart says either. If I know they're coming up to get what they perceive to be their franchise QB, I'm holding them hostage. Pay me a king's ransom or no deal.

Agreed. I don't care what any draft chart says either. If I know they're coming up to get what they perceive to be their franchise QB, I'm holding them hostage. Pay me a king's ransom or no deal.

You gotta be willing to negotiate or else you get what happened today. I know Buddy ain't smart, but he ain't dumb either.

In order to move down from #3 to #12, the bills would need the Vikings 1st, 2nd and 4th plus next years 1st. A future pick, in general gets discounted one full round because you have to wait a full year to turn that pick into a player. Therefore a 2012 1st round pick carries the same value as a 2011 2nd round pick. See Carolina trading away their 2011 2nd round pick to take Armanti Edwards late in the 2010 3rd round (seems like a heist now).

To make a long story short the Vikes would need to give the Bills a lot in exchange for the #3 pick.

Not true according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette: http://plus.sites.po...de-future-picks

This is all hypothetical. This is probably what they will offer upfront. From a pure point standpoint we'd give up 2200 acquire a 1200, get 36 with their 5th rd, & probably get 1200 with their 1st next year. We probably would want to counter with their 2nd or 3rd rd pick this year instead of a 4th or 5th.

Wrong. Next year's value chart always gets cut in half in terms of points. They'd have to pony up a lot more than that to move up eight spots into the top 3.

In order to move down from #3 to #12, the bills would need the Vikings 1st, 2nd and 4th plus next years 1st. A future pick, in general gets discounted one full round because you have to wait a full year to turn that pick into a player. Therefore a 2012 1st round pick carries the same value as a 2011 2nd round pick. See Carolina trading away their 2011 2nd round pick to take Armanti Edwards late in the 2010 3rd round (seems like a heist now).

To make a long story short the Vikes would need to give the Bills a lot in exchange for the #3 pick.

I would take that deal Fo' Sho!

Remember they traded their 3rd for Randy Moss (what an idiotic move)

So Essentially they'd be taking Cam Newton then not picking until their 5th.

If they wanted to do that I would take the deal in a heartbeat.

You can take JJ Watt at #12

Calvin Sheppatd, Mason Foster, or maybe Marcus Cannon in the second

And A whole host of options in the 4th Mccarthy

Or Casey Mathews, Vareen or Chimdi Chekwa

Or turn our 3 4ths into a Third second round pick.

Plus the Vikes have a lot of UFAs so they are really in rebuilding mode next year. The 2012 first round is likely a top 10.

I would love that trade.

With out luck we trade down with the Vikes and get the 12th pick, a 4th rounder and next years first. Then we trade back up giving to get th etenth and give up the 12th pick, our second and third and one of next years first and wind up with McCargo or JP or Sluggo.

Other than the 04 draft when we got Evans our picks have been 8 through 13. Can anyone say we got a good player at those picks? Stay with #3, because when we pick at 8 through 13 we pass on stud players (Ngata) and pick guys like Whitner, Lynch, Maybin and McKelvin. No first year pro bowlers there.

O, what does it matter? We'll mess the #3 pick up too!! :wallbash:

Edited by little buffalo

Not true according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette: http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/108526-ed-steelers-can-trade-future-picks

1)thats the first ive heard yes for next years picks

2)the rule of thumb is you discount next years value by one round in this years (ie next years first is equal to this years second)