Robert Quinn

LOL if you call that going to town on Castonzo.

I call three game changing plays against one of the top tackles in the nation going to town, yes I do.

BTW, no one else in this draft has that Bruce Smith-like lean of Quinn which he displays in that first strip sack. That was awesome and something we haven't seen here in over a decade.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, those teams aren't exactly the toughest opponents for a guy that's supposed to be a top 10 pick. And I honestly don't understand your statement comparing Miller and Quinn to Maybin and Orakpo. Can you explain your reasoning? For the record, Miller isn't really undersized to play OLB in a 3-4. If he's currently at 246, it's safe to say he can add another 10 pounds to his frame which would put him at the same size that Clay Matthews is listed at. Miller compares nothing like Maybin except for the fact that they are both fast.

Miller is the same weight, although shorter, than Aaron Maybin. Both were projected as OLBs and have speed and a supposedly great first step.

Quinn is bigger and about the same size as Orakpo. Both were billed as OLB/DE hybrids.

The difference is that 2 years ago Orakpo was far and away billed as the best DE/OLB in the draft. The morons at one Bills drive though thought they new more than the rest of the NFL world and went with Maybin.

Miller is the same weight, although shorter, than Aaron Maybin. Both were projected as OLBs and have speed and a supposedly great first step.

Quinn is bigger and about the same size as Orakpo. Both were billed as OLB/DE hybrids.

The difference is that 2 years ago Orakpo was far and away billed as the best DE/OLB in the draft. The morons at one Bills drive though thought they new more than the rest of the NFL world and went with Maybin.

It's kind of difficult to debate a point with someone who admittedly doesn't watch the players in question and seems to only go by the media hype given to each prospect. So I won't even try. Instead, assuming you know that Miller is an OLB prospect ONLY and using your own criteria (as highlighted above), then the Bills would be taking the player that is "far and away" the best at his position in the draft if they select Miller.

The same simply can't be said about Quinn.

Your comparison of Miller to Maybin is ludicrous. For too many reasons to list. Especially in light of the fact that you don't follow college football and aren't well acquainted with the prospects at this point.

GO BILLS!!!

It's kind of difficult to debate a point with someone who admittedly doesn't watch the players in question and seems to only go by the media hype given to each prospect. So I won't even try. Instead, assuming you know that Miller is an OLB prospect ONLY and using your own criteria (as highlighted above), then the Bills would be taking the player that is "far and away" the best at his position in the draft if they select Miller.

The same simply can't be said about Quinn.

Your comparison of Miller to Maybin is ludicrous. For too many reasons to list. Especially in light of the fact that you don't follow college football and aren't well acquainted with the prospects at this point.

GO BILLS!!!

What media hype? Never did I state that I use that as part of my assessment process nor is there any media hype on Quinn to speak of. Dude, I think you believe your own hype too much since you actually watch college football. If you can't see any similarities between Miller and Maybin I guess no amount of explanation will provide that insight for you.

Yes I do think Miller is an OLB only prospect. Sorry but I have long since been tired of the undersized guys. Undersized guys that are successful at their position are the exception NOT the norm. I get so tired of hearing "so and so played at weight X and they were good".

As a general statement the odds are against the small, the slow and players that lack athleticism. In todays NFL I would prefer to see a 3-4 OLB in the 265+ range with the ability to drop into coverage when necessary. Throw in the fact that we play some 4 - 3 and Miller to me is TOO small for my liking.

for all the people clamoring about newton and his issues, most seem ok with a guy who was actually suspended for an entire season?

That assumption is based on these two groups of people being the same group. I don't have a problem with either of them.

Edited by PDaDdy

You can't just make it about size...somewhere along the line, ability on the football field has to come into play.

Vis-a-vis:

Maybin was a one-year wonder as a red-shirt sophomore who racked up 12 sacks against teams like Coastal Carolina and Temple, while Orakpo was a Senior who dominated the Big 12 consistently for 2 full years.

Want to draw a comparison to Miller and Quinn? How about this...

Quinn was a one-year wonder as a red-shirt sophomore who racked up 11 sacks against teams like The Citadel and Duke, while Miller was a Senior who dominated the Big 12 consistently for 2 full years.

Again, size is one measurable; the ability to play football is more important in my opinion.

Edited by thebandit27

You can't just make it about size...somewhere along the line, ability on the football field has to come into play.

Vis-a-vis:

Maybin was a one-year wonder as a red-shirt sophomore who racked up 12 sacks against teams like Coastal Carolina and Temple, while Orakpo was a Senior who dominated the Big 12 consistently for 2 full years.

Want to draw a comparison to Miller and Quinn? How about this...

Quinn was a one-year wonder as a red-shirt sophomore who racked up 11 sacks against teams like The Citadel and Duke, while Miller was a Senior who dominated the Big 12 consistently for 2 full years.

Again, size is one measurable; the ability to play football is more important in my opinion.

So you mean they aren't exactly the same? Thanks for that insight. LOL. Wasn't trying to be a jerk just stating the obvious.

I believe the one year wonder label is misplaced on Quinn. He was suspended his junior year. As I have said before I am admittedly not a college football fan but how often do college guys have that kind of size, speed and performance as a SOPHOMORE and then tank it their junior and or senior year not due to injury or coaching/scheme change? If I'm not mistaken this guy did it against double teams too.

Personally I am VERY encouraged by his wonderful year. Imagine if he reproduced those numbers or even exceeded them as a junior? This guy would well be in the discussion as the #1 overall player in the entire draft! It's not like this guy played last year and stunk it up.

I guess you can assume the worst as you do or the best as some. Personally I look at it as an opportunity to get a guy that could be a star who if not for a suspension probably wouldn't be there for us at #3. This could be a stroke of luck.

Size is indeed one measurable. Between two guys that can "play"...I'll take the bigger stronger just as fast guy every time ;)

Edited by PDaDdy

What media hype? Never did I state that I use that as part of my assessment process nor is there any media hype on Quinn to speak of. Dude, I think you believe your own hype too much since you actually watch college football. If you can't see any similarities between Miller and Maybin I guess no amount of explanation will provide that insight for you.

Yes I do think Miller is an OLB only prospect. Sorry but I have long since been tired of the undersized guys. Undersized guys that are successful at their position are the exception NOT the norm. I get so tired of hearing "so and so played at weight X and they were good".

As a general statement the odds are against the small, the slow and players that lack athleticism. In todays NFL I would prefer to see a 3-4 OLB in the 265+ range with the ability to drop into coverage when necessary. Throw in the fact that we play some 4 - 3 and Miller to me is TOO small for my liking. ...

Posted Yesterday, 06:11 PM

Bangarang, on 30 March 2011 - 05:51 PM, said:

... But this tells me that you're evaluating a player based off what other people say, his stats alone, or Youtube videos of him...

You answered (from post #35 of this thread):

Yep that is how I evaluate players. ...

If "what other people say", his stats, and Youtube aren't references to various media, then what are they? If you freely admit that you evaluate players from these sources then how can you say that you don't use media hype in your process?

The ONLY comparisons between Miller and Maybin are size. PERIOD. There are no other similarities between the two players. Not in terms of position played in college OR their college careers in total. To suggest otherwise would just further serve notice that you're very limited in knowledge of the subject. But, again, I'll give you credit for admitting your own ignorance of the process.

What about your point that the Bills erred in not selecting the "best" rated prospect at his position in Orapko but would be making a mistake by doing that exact thing by selecting Miller who is far and away the best OLB prospect in the draft? Do you honestly not see the conflict in your thought process?

I agree the odds are against the small, slow, and non-athletic players. Fortunately, Miller is bigger than Clay Matthews at the same stage, has faster straight line speed, and is off the charts in explosiveness and agility in terms of his athleticism. If he didn't have a stellar four year college career to back him up I'd pay far less attention to his physical attributes. But he does. You don't get to be the best rated player at your position coming out of college otherwise.

You'd be better served by actually WATCHING these kids play than simply viewing stats and highlight reels. You are sadly misinformed when you don't.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

So you mean they aren't exactly the same? Thanks for that insight. LOL. Wasn't trying to be a jerk just stating the obvious.

I believe the one year wonder label is misplaced on Quinn. He was suspended his junior year. As I have said before I am admittedly not a college football fan but how often do college guys have that kind of size, speed and performance as a SOPHOMORE and then tank it their junior and or senior year not due to injury or coaching/scheme change? If I'm not mistaken this guy did it against double teams too.

Personally I am VERY encouraged by his wonderful year. Imagine if he reproduced those numbers or even exceeded them as a junior? This guy would well be in the discussion as the #1 overall player in the entire draft! It's not like this guy played last year and stunk it up.

I guess you can assume the worst as you do or the best as some. Personally I look at it as an opportunity to get a guy that could be a star who if not for a suspension probably wouldn't be there for us at #3. This could be a stroke of luck.

Size is indeed one measurable. Between two guys that can "play"...I'll take the bigger stronger just as fast guy every time ;)

I understand the point you're getting at, but here are my issues with your arguments:

That's well and good, but he didn't do it last year. He was out of football, and that bothers me. Additionally, there are plenty of DEs that had one good year in college and then fell off of the map. Guys in this very draft like Greg Romeus, Adrian Clayborn, Allen Bailey, Bruce Carter, etc. I'm not saying Quinn would be the same, but it's not nearly as rare as your comment would imply.

Again, he didn't play at all. You'll be hard pressed to convince me that 20+ months away from football (which is at least how long it'll be before he sets foot on the field again) hasn't had some effect on his development.

Also, doesn't the fact that his production was spotty and at its greatest against lousy teams (in an overall lousy conference) raise a red flag for you?

I'm not assuming anything, but rather pointing out that Quinn has enough issues to make me sufficiently gun-shy about drafting him in the top 10, let alone in the top 5. He's a risk, and a bigger one than other players at his position in my opinion.

That's just it though, Quinn is only bigger. He's not stronger (just 1 more bench press rep than Miller despite being 15+ lbs heavier), and he's definitely not as fast (either in top-end speed--which I think is negligible for a pass rusher--or in short-area quickness and change of direction, which I find to be very important for a 3-4 OLB). I know that combine numbers are just that (numbers), but as far as measuring strength and speed they're the only facts we have to go on, and Quinn is neither stronger nor as fast.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by thebandit27

If that's the case, then you ought to be elated with Miller's performance. If Quinn "hit the check marks" then Miller obliterated them. Quinn did not outperform Miller in any category at the combine. Not a single one.

He also didn't outperform Miller on the football field (against lesser competition I might add). He's also never played OLB in a 3-4. The Quinn-over-Miller argument boils down to one thing: size. Not strength (he only managed 1 more BP rep than Miller despite being 15 lbs heavier), not performance, not speed, not agility, not fluidity, not athleticism, not consistency; just size.

No thanks, I'll take the better football player.

Actually I have heard quite a bit of talk about Quinn as a OLB in a 3-4

You answered (from post #35 of this thread):

If "what other people say", his stats, and Youtube aren't references to various media, then what are they? If you freely admit that you evaluate players from these sources then how can you say that you don't use media hype in your process?

Hopefully you do see the leap of logic you made here that is completely incorrect. Any source of information like reading the written word on paper or a computer screen, listening to games and including watching the games on Saturday or highlights on youtube are MEDIA SOURCES. I am not listening to the opinions of PEOPLE in the media that try to tell me what to think. I will however consider the opinion of football experts over nameless faceless internet forum posters but I don't let them MAKE my opinion.

As for you what is it about watching you saturday game in the media that gives you such incredibly insight that watching highlight videos and looking at stats don't? Is it the commentators telling you what to think while you watch the games? Is it the expert opinions of what teams and conferences are strong vs we? It can't be the video because the youtube video is OF THE SAME GAMES!! Drop the I watch college ball and you don't arrogant BS. All I did was state that I don't watch COLLEGE ball not that I don't watch FOOTBALL. Hopefully you consider this while trying to disregard my opinion and call me ignorant.

The ONLY comparisons between Miller and Maybin are size. PERIOD. There are no other similarities between the two players. Not in terms of position played in college OR their college careers in total. To suggest otherwise would just further serve notice that you're very limited in knowledge of the subject. But, again, I'll give you credit for admitting your own ignorance of the process.

So basically you have stated what I have stated but said it like it was something I didn't already know. Yes, I was comparing their size and speed. I suggested nothing else. I think you must be related to this miller guy or have a man crush on him as you see threats and accusations that aren't being made.

What about your point that the Bills erred in not selecting the "best" rated prospect at his position in Orapko but would be making a mistake by doing that exact thing by selecting Miller who is far and away the best OLB prospect in the draft? Do you honestly not see the conflict in your thought process?

There is no conflict in my thought process. You could definitely argue which is ranked higher Miller or Quinn. The fact that they are ranked #1 at two different positions does complicate the matter wouldn't you say? Orakpo was the obvious choice based on my size and strength criteria. The blessing of "experts" was an added bonus not the whole point. People love to take snippets of what you say then rail against it like it is your whole point.

I agree the odds are against the small, slow, and non-athletic players. Fortunately, Miller is bigger than Clay Matthews at the same stage, has faster straight line speed, and is off the charts in explosiveness and agility in terms of his athleticism. If he didn't have a stellar four year college career to back him up I'd pay far less attention to his physical attributes. But he does. You don't get to be the best rated player at your position coming out of college otherwise.

Good because I am tired of the well there are these 2 guys in the entire NFL that can do it so we should draft this undersized guy. Mathews! Mathews! Mathews! Let's get some size and strength in there. Someone that can ball and won't get hurt because they are playing "small". "Tough game for tough people" and a "big game for big people"

You'd be better served by actually WATCHING these kids play than simply viewing stats and highlight reels. You are sadly misinformed when you don't.

GO BILLS!!!

Apparently you aren't aware that the videos are of the same games that you spend every Saturday watching. Must be nice to be independently wealthy to watch EVERY college game that has a potential NFL prospect so you can try to use it to validate your personal opinions for those that might be inclined to believe such bs justifications.

Edited by PDaDdy

LOL if you call that going to town on Castonzo.

Quinn had one nice rush/sack, and one pressure, but other than that he seemed to be very effectively blocked by Castanzo, especially on run plays where Quinn was unable to shed the blocks.

Quinn had one nice rush/sack, and one pressure, but other than that he seemed to be very effectively blocked by Castanzo, especially on run plays where Quinn was unable to shed the blocks.

1. Sack, fumble

2. Pressure, should have resulted in an easy interception

3. Pressure against a double team, interception returned to the 1 yard line

In what world does this equate to effectively blocked? These are game turning plays. Would you say that if Bell had that kind of day against Jerome Harris?

Hopefully you do see the leap of logic you made here that is completely incorrect. Any source of information like reading the written word on paper or a computer screen, listening to games and including watching the games on Saturday or highlights on youtube are MEDIA SOURCES. I am not listening to the opinions of PEOPLE in the media that try to tell me what to think. I will however consider the opinion of football experts over nameless faceless internet forum posters but I don't let them MAKE my opinion.

As for you what is it about watching you saturday game in the media that gives you such incredibly insight that watching highlight videos and looking at stats don't? Is it the commentators telling you what to think while you watch the games? Is it the expert opinions of what teams and conferences are strong vs we? It can't be the video because the youtube video is OF THE SAME GAMES!! Drop the I watch college ball and you don't arrogant BS. All I did was state that I don't watch COLLEGE ball not that I don't watch FOOTBALL. Hopefully you consider this while trying to disregard my opinion and call me ignorant.

So basically you have stated what I have stated but said it like it was something I didn't already know. Yes, I was comparing their size and speed. I suggested nothing else. I think you must be related to this miller guy or have a man crush on him as you see threats and accusations that aren't being made.

There is no conflict in my thought process. You could definitely argue which is ranked higher Miller or Quinn. The fact that they are ranked #1 at two different positions does complicate the matter wouldn't you say? Orakpo was the obvious choice based on my size and strength criteria. The blessing of "experts" was an added bonus not the whole point. People love to take snippets of what you say then rail against it like it is your whole point.

Good because I am tired of the well there are these 2 guys in the entire NFL that can do it so we should draft this undersized guy. Mathews! Mathews! Mathews! Let's get some size and strength in there. Someone that can ball and won't get hurt because they are playing "small". "Tough game for tough people" and a "big game for big people"

Apparently you missed my joking comment about "what they aren't exactly the same?" Yes I was basically referring to their size and speed. Measureables to be sure which aren't the end all be all but an undeniable similarity none the less. You should perhaps watch youtube and other video outlets sometime. Apparently you aren't aware that the videos are of the same games that you spend every Saturday watching. Must be nice to be independently wealth to watch every college game that has a potential NFL prospect so you can try to use it to validate your personal opinions for those that might be inclined to belief such bs justification.

Try focusing on what I said instead of getting on your soap box and servicing Miller.

More disingenuous buffoonery.

You called yourself ignorant before I did in this thread. Ignorant opinions are easier to disregard. Like yours when it comes to forming opinions on players. By your own admission you don't watch college ball you just form opinions based on "highlights", stats, and Youtube. Just like the pros do. I can't believe you aren't employed by an NFL front office.

Yes, you only compared Miller's and Maybin's size and speed. And then you promptly used that as a basis to eliminate Miller as a potential draft pick. Brilliant. Again, I'm amazed NFL FOs aren't beating a path to your door with job offers.

There is no argument as to who is rated higher at their respective positions. Miller is the highest rated OLB by the consensus of personnel evaluators out there. Quinn is not the highest rated DE. Or OLB. Not that it matters anyway.

Way to back track on your point about Orapko being more draft worthy because of his pre-draft ranking but Miller isn't for the same reason. Now it's because Orapko met your "size and strength" criteria and they they play different positions? See what I mean about disingenuous?

If you don't want your points to be so misunderstood then try being better at stating and substantiating them. Otherwise you have to fall back on the hackneyed but time-honored BB tactic of accusing people of "man crushes" because your point got refuted.

I don't care if the Bills draft Miller or not. But based on his body of work to date, he's a helluva football player. And being a football player trumps everything. Over the course of his college career he's proven that to a much larger extent than Quinn. That's not to say the Bills shouldn't draft Quinn. It's only saying that Miller has given teams far more to go on.

Personally, I'm rooting for Quinn to make it. He's overcome a lot and seems to have a lot of heart and desire. But that year off raises questions. NFL talent evaluators don't "project" what he would have done if he played he played last season.

Since you did it in a previous post, I'm gonna go ahead and imagine if Quinn DID play his junior year. I say that Quinn would have had 27 sacks, 31 tackles for losses, 12 INTS, 19 forced fumbles, 19 fumble recoveries, and 13 INT/fumble returns for TDs. All while facing double and triple team blocking. He would have made 1st team All America and won the Heisman. Damn! With those credentials the Bills can only hope he'll be there at 3.

GO BILLS!!!

As a general statement the odds are against the small, the slow and players that lack athleticism. In todays NFL I would prefer to see a 3-4 OLB in the 265+ range with the ability to drop into coverage when necessary. Throw in the fact that we play some 4 - 3 and Miller to me is TOO small for my liking.

If you look at the top 10 OLB sack leaders from the NFL last year, fully half of them weigh 255 lbs or less. So you are saying that Von Miller isn't going to be good simply because he currently weighs 9 pounds less? OLBs don't need to be 265+ to be successful pass rushers.

If you look at the top 10 OLB sack leaders from the NFL last year, fully half of them weigh 255 lbs or less. So you are saying that Von Miller isn't going to be good simply because he currently weighs 9 pounds less? OLBs don't need to be 265+ to be successful pass rushers.

But, but, but Maybin is and, and, and Orapko is and but, but, but... highlights and, and, and, stats, but, but, but, Youtube and...

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

More disingenuous buffoonery.

You called yourself ignorant before I did in this thread. Ignorant opinions are easier to disregard. Like yours when it comes to forming opinions on players. By your own admission you don't watch college ball you just form opinions based on "highlights", stats, and Youtube. Just like the pros do. I can't believe you aren't employed by an NFL front office.

Yes, you only compared Miller's and Maybin's size and speed. And then you promptly used that as a basis to eliminate Miller as a potential draft pick. Brilliant. Again, I'm amazed NFL FOs aren't beating a path to your door with job offers.

There is no argument as to who is rated higher at their respective positions. Miller is the highest rated OLB by the consensus of personnel evaluators out there. Quinn is not the highest rated DE. Or OLB. Not that it matters anyway.

Way to back track on your point about Orapko being more draft worthy because of his pre-draft ranking but Miller isn't for the same reason. Now it's because Orapko met your "size and strength" criteria and they they play different positions? See what I mean about disingenuous?

If you don't want your points to be so misunderstood then try being better at stating and substantiating them. Otherwise you have to fall back on the hackneyed but time-honored BB tactic of accusing people of "man crushes" because your point got refuted.

I don't care if the Bills draft Miller or not. But based on his body of work to date, he's a helluva football player. And being a football player trumps everything. Over the course of his college career he's proven that to a much larger extent than Quinn. That's not to say the Bills shouldn't draft Quinn. It's only saying that Miller has given teams far more to go on.

Personally, I'm rooting for Quinn to make it. He's overcome a lot and seems to have a lot of heart and desire. But that year off raises questions. NFL talent evaluators don't "project" what he would have done if he played he played last season.

Since you did it in a previous post, I'm gonna go ahead and imagine if Quinn DID play his junior year. I say that Quinn would have had 27 sacks, 31 tackles for losses, 12 INTS, 19 forced fumbles, 19 fumble recoveries, and 13 INT/fumble returns for TDs. All while facing double and triple team blocking. He would have made 1st team All America and won the Heisman. Damn! With those credentials the Bills can only hope he'll be there at 3.

GO BILLS!!!

You are thick headed aren't you? Please quote where I refer to myself in that manner. The word ignorant and all that it connotes was all you. Your ignorant opinion should be ignored as a holier than though BS artist who supposedly spends every Saturday watching every college football game with an NFL prospect in it.

It's lazy thinkers like yourself that think that the messenger is more important than the message and consider the source more that the statement. You haven't said a darn thing worth reading. In fact the only points you have basically made are that you think you are a more credible source of information, sometimes small guys can succeed in the NFL and Miller had a great college career. Nobody, including myself, disputed the last two points yet you keep speaking like somebody disagrees with you. Get off the psychotropics! On the first point however you are no more credible a source of information than anyone else on this forum including myself. You're just a blow hard who thinks because they watched a couple games that their opinion matters or is even accurate for that matter.

Quinn is ranked as the highest 4 - 3 defensive end. Look it up! You probably already knew that but you are trying to be an ass and win an argument instead of providing insight that might be helpful to people. We already went through this as well but I'll apparently have to say it again as there is quite a bit of bone matter to traverse before things get into your brain. The consensus "expert" ranking on Orakpo was a bonus.

You really need to work on your reading comprehension because it is at a 3rd grade "I know you are but what am I" level. If there was any doubt before, I will spell it out clearly for you. I DON'T LIKE MILLERS SIZE AND STRENGTH. He is small for the TWO schemes we play and is comparable physically with Maybin being undersized.

Miller had a great college career no doubt. Smaller weaker guys in my opinion have a harder time transitioning to the NFL. They can play at a given size and weight in college and can find themselves too small and weak at the pro level. They can try to bulk up but they can lose speed and maneuverability. Bulking up and continuing to be effective are NOT a given. This also applies for guys that are used to being so much faster than everyone else. In the NFL EVERYONE is fast.

Personally I would prefer not to take a chance on a guy that physically measures up to a guy who is potentially the all time worst Bills draft bust ever. Before you again go jumping to any conclusions that I didn't make it doesn't mean anyone Maybin's size will be ineffective and shouldn't be drafted. I am also not implying he can not be good at the NFL level. I just consider his lack of size and to an extent strength to be part of the risk as Quinn not playing his Junior year is a risk. Suppose all you want with your ridiculous assertions regarding Quinns Junior year had he played. It's on par with the 3rd grade mentality and reading comprehension level you have exhibited.

My bad for expecting more.

You are correct. How will his size or lack there of help us with our biggest problem which is to stop the run? I hope you aren't suggesting we use the #3 overall pick to draft a pass rush specialist who might be too small against the run and have to be pulled on 1st and 2nd down as well as 3rd and short?

Don't we have a guy that we tried to do that with a couple years ago?

But, but, but Maybin is and, and, and Orapko is and but, but, but... highlights and, and, and, stats, but, but, but, Youtube and...

GO BILLS!!!

But but ...Miller... College Game Day....TV Commentators....talking heads.... Go ask your mom for another hot pocket and some ritalin dude.

Edited by PDaDdy