Don Banks' New Mock

Roll the dice at #3 on a QB who may or may not pan out. Got it.

PTR

Isn't that what everyone is doing with every pick? Who knows for sure who is going to pan out and who isn't?

If anyone does, they are in line to make themselves lots and lots of money.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roll the dice at #3 on a QB who may or may not pan out. Got it.

PTR

I agree with not wanting any of the QBs this year at #3, but the same can be said of any position.

Whomever they pick, whatever position is a roll of the dice that may or may not pan out.

Can you all please explain the fascination with Newton? He's big and quick, but.... can he make the reads..? Can he make the throws??? I've seen nothing from him that makes him heads and shoulders above everyone else. He's had one year of successful Div 1 ball (Maybin), and while it was a great year, can you all HONESTLY evaluate him this high?

Can we just go get some people to stop the damned run and rush the QB? The Pats, Jets, and Fish are going to continue to beat us because we can't get to their QB and we sure as hell can't stop the run, but Newton will help that right?.... ridiculous!

Only... ONLY if the front office makes a play for a DT/DE in FA and/or REALLY believes in Troup and Carrington, AND we go after DT/DE and LB in rda 2 & 3 will this experiment have a shot at working.

Yes they did and we can go through most teams in the league and find just as many busts on their teams. It's the way of the draft.

Their are no guarantees for any team.

That's exactly my point. So why should there be such fear about drafting a qb as opposed to any other position?

Thanks for the link. This is the year to get their franchise qb on board and then continue on with the re-building process. Isn't a generation of not having a franchise qb on the roster long enough? Atlanta with Matt Ryan, Tampa with Josh Freeman, St. Louis with Bradshaw took qbs in their first round and didn't regret their selections.

If the Bills don't have Gabbert or Newton rated as high where they are drafting then bypass them and take a player such as Dareus. If the Bills take a qb in the first round the majority of the remaining draft and free agency should lean on the defensive side of the ball.

if we get a QB @ 3. i think NE will take an OT @33 the more i read the more i believe we will have a shot @ that great LB from UCLA. if we get a QB @ 3 and the second best 3/4 olb in the draft @ #34 i will be very happy.

i never thought he would get out of the first round but with a run on QB's,D/linemen and a run on OT's late i think the football gods may shine on the bills allowing us to get a great LB with our second round pick. keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm starting to hope they pick Newton or Gabbert at #3 just so I don't have to hear the QB arguments for at least a couple more years (except if this pick becomes a bust, then it starts all over again). I really don't want to go through this debate all over again next year.

Link

Fairley and Bowers already out of the top 3. Newton to the Bills, Gabbert to the Panthers.

Does this guy really think with Fairley , Bowers ,& Miller sitting there , plus the biggest weakness on the Bills being defense & the pass rush that we are going to take Newton with our first pick ??

I for one don't see it !! I think the Newton thing is Nix & Gailey doing there home work but is nothing more than a smoke screen .

There will be QB's sitting there for the taking in round 2 , plus it will be for a lot less money . I just think Nix & Gailey with the adding of Wannstedt to the staff know that

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS !!! Look at both teams this year that made it to the super bowl top 2 in D in the league .

I think the dude is on crack !!!!!! Put down the pipe and walk away !!!!! :blink:

Edited by T master

Isn't that what everyone is doing with every pick? Who knows for sure who is going to pan out and who isn't?

If anyone does, they are in line to make themselves lots and lots of money.

Different players and different positions have different bust potential.

If you think that the chances of Dareus not being a very good starter are the same as Newton not being a very good starter, and all risks are equal, I suggest you stay away from Las Vegas. Every player has a chance to fail to meet expectations, but there are certain things that make that risk higher or lower.

Playing QB is a higher bust factor than playing DL, being a one year star is a higher bust factor than being a multi year starter. Playing a scheme drastically different from your NFL team is a higher bust factor than playing the same scheme. None of these things means Dareus will be a guaranteed star and Newton a guaranteed bust. And more importantly, Newton's value if he reaches his ceiling is more than Dareus.

The question is what is the likelihood of each outcome, and how much are we willing to risk for a potentially more valuable player. I have not seen enough from Newton to make me want to roll the dice over Dareus, but the coaches may have, and I would love the Newton pick if it works out (but will be keeping my fingers crossed until his first Pro Bowl).

dont like it at all. peterson is the best player in the draft and if he falls to 3 then we have to take him. we cannot take a chance on a qb who has 1 year of college experience and has a head the size of the blimp. or ego. i hope that someone likes newton so much that they take him no.1 and another team is willing to give up a ton t draft gabbert at 3 . peterson will be taken at 2 of course so the bills would have thier choice at any defensive lineman they want.

Looking for honest opinion on Kapernick. He did excellent in college. Does any of it translate? I am not an expert but would love to see him work out as a second rounder. Any opinions?

he has the size and arm strength to make all the throws. will he fall to the 2nd or 3rd round and will our team be willing to take him there. I think there are 5 quality qb's in this draft and we ca get one of them late. build our defense or offensive line with the entire draft and get a few free agents and this team is back in the playoffs.

To some extent any draft pick at any position is a risk. The Bills failed drafting OT Mike Williams at the fourth spot. The Bills failed drafting DT McCargo in the first round. The Bills failed drafting DE/OLB Maybin with their first pick. Eric Flowers was a LB taken in the first round.

The Bills have to trust their scouting ability and evaluators. If they make a judgment that there is no worthy qb prospect then draft for another position. Being spooked that any qb pick is too much of a risk is the type of weak thinking that Atlanta with Matt Ryan, St. Louis with Bradford and Tampa with Josh Freeman didn't exhibit with their first round qb picks. Their first round qb selections were without a doubt major factors in turning around losing teams and making them into competitive teams.

The Bills don't have a legitimate franchise qb on their current roster. At best, Fitz is a stop gap type of qb. If you look at the teams involved in the playoff over the last few years it is evident that having a good qb is essential for success.

The Bills have not had a legitimate franchise qb since the retirement of Jim Kelly. That is a generation ago. The Bills are in a position to draft either Gabbert or Newton. If they don't seize the opportunity they are foolish.

great post.

No way Bowers falls that far.

Oh no? I guess you predicted that Clausen would fall that far? Aaron Rodgers? Brady Quinn? I'm guessing you predicted Tyson Alualu being picked that early by the Jaguars?

Just looking at the top 10, its not that bad of a mock.

The Bills are in a position to draft either Gabbert or Newton. If they don't seize the opportunity they are foolish.

You said it yourself. The Bills have to trust their scouting and player evaluation.

Nix has been quoted as saying "there's probably one franchise QB in this year's draft, but which one?"

If they think Gabbert is this year's franchise QB and he's gone at #3, it would be very foolish to draft Newton (if they have doubts about him) "just because".

You can't fix 10 years of crappy drafting overnight.

The Bills need to use a 1st round pick on a QB in the next couple years. Top notch QB are drafted all through the 1st round.

That's very different than saying they must use this pick, this year, on a QB or they're foolish, unless they truly believe there are at least two franchise QB in this year's draft.

I had doubts about Newton going into the combine, and they didn't get smaller. Maybe he'll be the greatest NFL QB ever. Or maybe not.

There are enough questions I don't see how anyone team could be called foolish for passing.