Bills announce uniform change

Peter

I agree Madcap. I'd love to see the word Bills on the neckline. We are the only team that flipflops jerseys but don't put any identifiable markings on them. It's a very anonymous jersey when worn outside of WNY. The Bills are very stubborn about putting a logo or the team name on the neckline. Unless you are the Packers, Colts or Raiders... You need something on the jersey. Those teams have never changed so it works.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they go white helmet/charging buffalo, I cannot help but think it is due to people talking about it here on TSW and our voices were heard.

Now, lets hope the same is true for the red end zones!!!!!

I agree Madcap. I'd love to see the word Bills on the neckline. We are the only team that flipflops jerseys but don't put any identifiable markings on them. It's a very anonymous jersey when worn outside of WNY. The Bills are very stubborn about putting a logo or the team name on the neckline. Unless you are the Packers, Colts or Raiders... You need something on the jersey. Those teams have never changed so it works.

There's only 32 teams in the league. It's not that hard to have an identifiable jersey, even without flashiness, an unchanged tradition, or workmarks/logos. To borrow a word from Charlie Sheen, "winning" takes away anonymity pretty fast.

That said, I would bet there is going to be a BILLS wordmark under the V. Just about every team but the ones listed (and you forgot the Bears) has done that.

FWIW - I prefer the red helmet as the part of the normal uni and the white helmet with standing Buffalo with the throwback. Best of both worlds.

Regardless, i am very happy that they woke up and are getting rid of the awful unis we have had for the past several years.

Just my two cents.

It can't get any worse...right?

Well, I suppose this is one way to generate excitement for a perenially last-place team. Not that I'm against it...

Yep, and they'll draft Cam Newton just to sell tickets, guarantee him $25M + , sell out the 2011 season before June, then watch he and his agent hold out, miss the 2011 training camp/wasting this season completely, then be a bust within 3 years. But they will sell out the new-uniform season for 2011. I could see this happening very easily.

FWIW - I prefer the red helmet as the part of the normal uni and the white helmet with standing Buffalo with the throwback. Best of both worlds.

Regardless, i am very happy that they woke up and are getting rid of the awful unis we have had for the past several years.

Just my two cents.

My two cents: I'd be fine with the white helmets with the white jersey set. I'd like to see the red helmets stay with the blues. And it's not like they'd have to order new ones for this scenario or anything.

Not sure when/if there's been a pro team that's had two different helmet colors to pair with their home and aways. There are a number of college teams that do it all the time.

My two cents: I'd be fine with the white helmets with the white jersey set. I'd like to see the red helmets stay with the blues. And it's not like they'd have to order new ones for this scenario or anything.

Not sure when/if there's been a pro team that's had two different helmet colors to pair with their home and aways. There are a number of college teams that do it all the time.

Seattle tried to do that when they changed their uniforms to the current ones. I think they wanted silver at home and the current ones on the road. Or maybe the other way around. Either way the NFL said no. One helmet except for alternate uniform stuff like throwbacks.

Edited by Pondslider

Seattle tried to do that when they changed their uniforms to the current ones. I think they wanted silver at home and the current ones on the road. Or maybe the other way around. Either way the NFL said no. One helmet except for alternate uniform stuff like throwbacks.

This is 100% correct.

BTW, a questions for the red helmet folks: do you think it looks better than the white, or is it more of a nostalgia thing from the Super Bowl era? Cause I have to say, the first time I saw the red helmets (preseason game against the Chicago Bears 8/31/85)I nearly puked. They were and continue to be awful for me...

This is 100% correct.

BTW, a questions for the red helmet folks: do you think it looks better than the white, or is it more of a nostalgia thing from the Super Bowl era? Cause I have to say, the first time I saw the red helmets (preseason game against the Chicago Bears 8/31/85)I nearly puked. They were and continue to be awful for me...

Especially with the blue jerseys, I think red looks better. If it's white, tho, it ain't the end of the world.

For me, red helmets are the Bills. White is fine for throwbacks, but not loving the hybrid late 70's early 80's look.

What is the nostalgia there, two playoff appearances in 10-11 years? Then again I was in first grade when the red

helmets debuted so they are pretty much all I have known as a fan. Was mad when the red end zone went away too.

I will welcome new uniforms, because what we have had has been horrible... just wish they had waited a year for the

new on-field apparel contract to kick in.

I can't believe the new uni's havn't been leaked yet!

Come on somebody, use those hacker skills for something GOOD! LOL!

This is 100% correct.

I remember the first change to RED too, and had the same reaction (puke!)

Any change takes time, the white looks great, you'll get used to it.

I bet all the younger fans complain more, because red is all they've ever seen.

I think this is going to bring us back to a real classic football look!

New Uniform?

or this?

Understand one thing ... all of you RED helmet lovers, they're going bye-bye. I have an insider who works for Reebok who told me that Buffalo was getting new uniforms for 2011, and he was surprised since 2011 is their final year with the NFL before NIKE takes over ...

I frequent 2 BILLS chat boards, and 1 neutral, and from all the posts I've read there is an overwhelming demand for a return to the white helmet.

I was informed of the change a few weeks before the official announcement was made, but didn't take it as serious as I should have. This person knows how much I like the '65 throwbacks from my postings, and came from the neutal site.

Here's what he wrote:

Well, I've got bittersweet news for you. The Bills are likely changing uniforms, but not to the 1965 version. I can't figure out if it's for next season or for 2012. I work for Reebok/adidas, and they sent us a uniform guide, which would lead me to believe that the change is coming for next season (why would they send us uniform guides for 2012 when we're no longer a licensee?).

Anyway, if you can picture this, you'll have the inside scoop: Take the O.J. Simpson-era uniform. White helmet with current logo, red/blue stripes on the helmet and pants, a pair of white stripes with red trim on the sleeves and socks, and white numerals with red trim on the jersey. Then, add minimal navy blue trim to everything (similar to how the 49ers added a small amount of black trim to everything on their previous uniform, but even less than that).

From all my readings, many BILLS fans and neutral NFL fans want the BILLS to just go back to the '65 throwback fulltime, many are okay with that but just don't want the grazing Bison logo. Expect a compromise.

There's a few areas the BILLS were very definitive about in the season ticket letter. The charging Bison logo remains, the uniform will 'incorporate' the BILLS 'storied' look, meaning either royal blue of the 90s, or the lighter colbalt blue of the '65 throwbacks. Donohoe's navy blue 2002 color was never part of Buffalo's 'storied' history.

To me the only questions remaining is ... will the facemask be gray or blue (please not white) ... will the jersey numbers go on the sleeve or shoulders (like in '65), and finally, will there be blue pants for road games 'only' ... and no more monochrome-look at home games.

White on White throwback (away)

Scanned through this thread, and sorry if I missed it, but has anyone suggested the idea of the helmet color, white or red, having the more modern metal-flake or metallic sheen that a lot of teams now have, (Giants, Eagles, Cowboys, etc). Before this latest uniform stuff came out, I've imagined how the uni would look with something like a metallic candy-apple red helmet.

I absolutely hate the current single color pre-schooler pajama look for home games and the clown outfit for road games.

The design shown in the links looks great. It looks to me like how football players should look.

If the Bills go with something similar to those shown in these links, a metallic white helmet with the charging metallic blue Bison would be icing on the cake.

This is 100% correct.

I just think the white helmets look better.

I just think the white helmets look better.

The white does look better when you get used to the change.

When they went to red, it was an eyesore!

Looking forward to a classic football look! And a CHAMPIONSHIP!

GO BILLS!

The white does look better when you get used to the change.

When they went to red, it was an eyesore!

Looking forward to a classic football look! And a CHAMPIONSHIP!

GO BILLS!

I'm an older guy who grew up with the white helmets and never got used to the red.