What is your dream for OUR top 2 picks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I've heard mixed things on Heyward. He always seems to balance out his dominant performances with a bunch of terrible games. He played so well in his Bowl game though. And he can apparently play 3-4. I'd take him.

Can someone please explain to me this fascination with Quinn over Miller? I'm not saying that Quinn isn't great, but he literally didn't play this year. So, with all due respect, I'm assuming that most these "lets draft Quinn" posts are being written by people who haven't seen him play much. In other words, its a result of hype, not necessarily a result of reality. Quinn's time to shine was at the combine and while he didn't have a terrible combine, he also didn't do much to show that he is better than Miller.

I've said it a million times, but I'll say it again. Miller is far and away the most accomplished rush linebacker to hit the draft in quite sometime. He had a great (and more importantly, consistent) career at Texas A&M. He blew people away during the senior game. He blew people away at the combine. He'll probably blow people away at his pro day. So, why are people saying Quinn is better? It reminds me, ironically, of when a bunch of idiots (myself included), wanted Maybin over Orakpo because Orakpo "reminds me too much of Gholston". Well guess what, that was an amateur opinion. And you want to know what else is an amateur opinion? Saying that Miller reminds you of Aaron Maybin.

You're right, upon further review of Miller's combine (good added weight, kept blazing speed, jumping ability ect.). I'm solidly back in the Von Miller camp. I just might take him even over Fairley considering how good he looked with no "lack of maturity" concerns to deal with. I'll put it this way, I'd be very happy if they took Miller at #3.

Yea, I've heard mixed things on Heyward. He always seems to balance out his dominant performances with a bunch of terrible games. He played so well in his Bowl game though. And he can apparently play 3-4. I'd take him.

Can someone please explain to me this fascination with Quinn over Miller? I'm not saying that Quinn isn't great, but he literally didn't play this year. So, with all due respect, I'm assuming that most these "lets draft Quinn" posts are being written by people who haven't seen him play much. In other words, its a result of hype, not necessarily a result of reality. Quinn's time to shine was at the combine and while he didn't have a terrible combine, he also didn't do much to show that he is better than Miller.

I've said it a million times, but I'll say it again. Miller is far and away the most accomplished rush linebacker to hit the draft in quite sometime. He had a great (and more importantly, consistent) career at Texas A&M. He blew people away during the senior game. He blew people away at the combine. He'll probably blow people away at his pro day. So, why are people saying Quinn is better? It reminds me, ironically, of when a bunch of idiots (myself included), wanted Maybin over Orakpo because Orakpo "reminds me too much of Gholston". Well guess what, that was an amateur opinion. And you want to know what else is an amateur opinion? Saying that Miller reminds you of Aaron Maybin.

I'd be cool with Miller too, but I give the edge to Quinn mostly due to his size which lends itself more to the Hybrid scheme (DE or OLB) and helps in run support.

I generally agree w/ your draft insight, but feel Miller is going to be better than Houston. No knock on Houston, I like him.

If you had to compare him to a current pro, who would he be?

I generally don't put a lot of stock in player comparisons, nor do I pretend to be smart enough to do so. I find most the time, pundits just match up a prospect to someone who plays the same position and has a similar build.

What I do see in Justin Houston though, is this:

A nice combination of speed rush moves. His bread and butter is the outside spped rush, but he has enough power and awareness to rush inside and creat pressure that way. From a run support stance he's head and shoulders above Von Miller. Much tougher and more physical and will get involved in run stuffing. If you watch him he actually uses his hands well to engage with OL and then seperate off of the block to make a tackle. He's not one of those LB's who gets engulfed by blockers or has to run around blocks to make tackles (ala Akeem Ayers).

I know Miller clocked in with a very fast 40 time, but using my eyeball test I think Justin Houston is quicker off of the edge. He turns the edge with more power and while he sometimes over runs his rush into the backfield it doesn't seem to happen as frequently as it does with Von Miller. Don't forget Houston weighed in at 270, and ran a 4.62 40 yard dash. His playing weight during the season was in the high 250's, so he clearly has the abiltiy to slim down a touch if neccesary. I think he came in at 270 to show scouts that he's capable as a 4-3 DL too, that way he appeals to more teams. If the Bills liked him as a 3-4 OLB, 260-265 would probably be a better weight to help with speed and coverage, yet still strong enough to take on the run.

1 - Dareus, Quinn, Fairley

2 - Kaepernick, Locker, Ponder

Elite D talent first and then one of the better QB prospects in the 2nd.

Drafting, what will most likely be, a career backup in round 2 sounds pretty lame. If we don't go qb in Rd 1, I am praying that we dont take one until round 4+

Drafting, what will most likely be, a career backup in round 2 sounds pretty lame. If we don't go qb in Rd 1, I am praying that we dont take one until round 4+ at all

fixed. and im not sold on any 1st round qb. but dont waste a later pick on a backup.

I generally don't put a lot of stock in player comparisons, nor do I pretend to be smart enough to do so. I find most the time, pundits just match up a prospect to someone who plays the same position and has a similar build.

What I do see in Justin Houston though, is this:

A nice combination of speed rush moves. His bread and butter is the outside spped rush, but he has enough power and awareness to rush inside and creat pressure that way. From a run support stance he's head and shoulders above Von Miller. Much tougher and more physical and will get involved in run stuffing. If you watch him he actually uses his hands well to engage with OL and then seperate off of the block to make a tackle. He's not one of those LB's who gets engulfed by blockers or has to run around blocks to make tackles (ala Akeem Ayers).

I know Miller clocked in with a very fast 40 time, but using my eyeball test I think Justin Houston is quicker off of the edge. He turns the edge with more power and while he sometimes over runs his rush into the backfield it doesn't seem to happen as frequently as it does with Von Miller. Don't forget Houston weighed in at 270, and ran a 4.62 40 yard dash. His playing weight during the season was in the high 250's, so he clearly has the abiltiy to slim down a touch if neccesary. I think he came in at 270 to show scouts that he's capable as a 4-3 DL too, that way he appeals to more teams. If the Bills liked him as a 3-4 OLB, 260-265 would probably be a better weight to help with speed and coverage, yet still strong enough to take on the run.

Just to note, when talking about 3-4 linebackers, specifically comparing Miller to Houston, playing the run is something that can be taught, no matter what size you are (see Antoine Winfield). I haven't seen enough of Houston, but to say he's head and shoulders above Miller in run-defense seems like a bit of hyperbole. Teaching these giant human beings how to drop back in coverage is a whole other story. While its true that both Miller and Houston are probably pretty raw in terms of their coverage skills, Miller really opened some eyes with his techniques during the combine. As Warren Sapp said, "that kinda stuff you are either born with, or you aren't". Just because Houston is quick, does not mean that his 270 lb frame can drop back in coverage.

Again, I haven't seen Houston play that much, so I could be wrong (feel free to correct me). But, I'd rather take the guy with natural coverage abilities.

Edited by Union2008

fixed. and im not sold on any 1st round qb. but dont waste a later pick on a backup.

I agree to an extent. We currently only have Levi Brown as a backup. Not drafting a QB at all would put us in a bad position, unless we sign a FA qb that has some experience, but that's sometimes expensive. We have to add a qb in some way

I agree to an extent. We currently only have Levi Brown as a backup. Not drafting a QB at all would put us in a bad position, unless we sign a FA qb that has some experience, but that's sometimes expensive. We have to add a qb in some way

Drafting a QB this year also needs to be thought about in the context of a CBA. Some might disagree and say you can't alter plans for unknown variables like whether or not there will be football next season. But, to me, if you draft a QB this year and there is no football (or very little football), its a waste. I'm not sure how it will work if indeed no football gets played (what draft spots teams would have in 2012), but I don't really see how it makes sense to draft a QB only to have him completely locked out of having any conversations with the coaching staff. You could argue the same logic applies for any player drafted, and that is true, but not to the same extent its true for a QB.

Also, while I agree with the notion that most successful QBs in the NFL were drafted in the 1st round, the Bills will be picking at the top of the 2nd round (right where Brees was drafted). I'm not saying there is a Drew Brees coming out this year, but I am saying that one of the top 4 QBs could easily be there. (I'd cross my fingers for Locker, who had a great combine despite his terrible senior season).

Edited by Union2008

Drafting a QB this year also needs to be thought about in the context of a CBA. Some might disagree and say you can't alter plans for unknown variables like whether or not there will be football next season. But, to me, if you draft a QB this year and there is no football (or very little football), its a waste. I'm not sure how it will work if indeed no football gets played (what draft spots teams would have in 2012), but I don't really see how it makes sense to draft a QB only to have him completely locked out of having any conversations with the coaching staff. You could argue the same logic applies for any player drafted, and that is true, but not to the same extent its true for a QB.

This is a really good point that hasnt come up much at all. However, I do believe they will get a deal done. There is simply too much money at stake for both sides.

Also, while I agree with the notion that most successful QBs in the NFL were drafted in the 1st round, the Bills will be picking at the top of the 2nd round (right where Brees was drafted). I'm not saying there is a Drew Brees coming out this year, but I am saying that one of the top 4 QBs could easily be there.

Another good point regarding draft position, but I dont think there is anyone there even close to Brees, unless NO QBs are picked in the 1st

(I'd cross my fingers for Locker, who had a great combine despite his terrible senior season).

Ok, here is where you go off track. You seem much smarter than to fall for a combine performance over week after week of ON FIELD evidence. I cant back a Locker pick. At all.

I cant really back a pick of ANY of the QBs except if Nix and Co. decide they really like Newton or Gabbart. And in that case they will have to pick him at #3. Which brings us full circle.

Fairley and Phil Taylor. Taylor is a monster and givs us two true NGs and allows us to move KW to DE. Nix said he wants to add 2 DEs this offseason, so one is Fairley and the other is KW. good bye rush defense problems. James Carpenter in the 3rd to start at RT or kick inside to G if he struggles. Herzlich in the 4th will need to strengthen up after his cancer treatments but should be a 8 yr starter at ILB.

I'd consider this my dream draft too, Thoner. :thumbsup:

vomit

Peterson has seperated himself as the best player in the draft. Coverage skills second only to Revis, but with the ability to make a quick 6 pick that Revis doesn't have. And he's got size. It's that combination makes him even more frightening to opposing offenses. He's also a beast on kick returns.

Wilkerson has more ability than any other DLineman in the draft, and with proper coaching can be best of the bunch. I'm just hoping Rd 1 goes QB-crazy, and a talent like Wilkerson falls to us at 35.

Neither of them are the linebacker position that we need most imo, however both of them will make our suspect linebackers better. Knowing that teams will throw less against Peterson, will allow us to play closer to the line and be more effectiva against the run, and throw in safety blitz packages to put more pressure on the QB. Wilkerson gives us a real edge rusher that can get leverage on a tackle, and individually put consistent pressure on the QB from the end position ... something no DE's on the roster can do now. He'll draw added attention which will take some bodies off of our LBs.

Bills cannot be fixed on defense in 1 season ... it's a 2 year plan given lack of depth from 10 years of poor drafting, and a change in defensive scheme under Chan. But these picks will go a long way to giving us a better defense in 2011, and a dominant one in 2012.

In round 3 pickup Sheppard or Foster at ILB, and if they're capable starters, then you've added a starter at each level of defense. And the plan to establishing a dominant defense gets accelerated. I don't see how anyone saying we need defense can object to this being a phenomenol draft if it plays out this way.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Trade down with 1st pick (3rd over all), get later 1st and 3rd pick. Use our 2nd and new 3rd pick to trade up into later part of 1st. Then I would draft QB and best DE or ILB available. Third pick I would go with RT.

Edited by USABuffaloFan

1) - fairley ( DE )

2)- Martez Wilson (ILB) - We can get the best ILB in the draft..!

3)- Stocker

4)- RT

4)- OLB

5)- DE

6)- CB

7)- OC

2011 Bills 3/4

DE - Kyle Williams

DT - Troupe

DE - Fairley

OLB - Merriman

ILB - Wilson

ILB - POZ

OLB - Moats

CB - Mcgee

CB - McKelvin

SS - Whitner / Wilson

FS - Byrd

Edited by foreplayer

Marcel Dareus at #3 If gone Patrick Peterson (who I really want anyway). Dareus is just so much more of a need.

Phil Taylor in the second. You can never I mean never have enough good Defensive linemen. In 1999 the last time the

Bills were in the Playoffs. Your D-line consisted of Bruce Smith, Phil Hansen, Pat Williams, Ted Washington and

Marcelis Wiley (Sorry If I spelled wrong). Superb football talent in all positions of there D-line.