March Movies: Battle L.A., Sucker Punch, Rango....

Mark Vader

The Oscars have ended, winter is beginning to fade and warmer days are coming. With that come bigger titles at the box office. For the next two months the Spring Season of movies will bring us plenty of excitement and fun, before the gargantuan Summer Season takes place. What is most interesting is there are three movies in this month alone, that deal with aliens.

Leading the way with a summer feel to it, Columbia Pictures brings us, "Battle: Los Angeles". As a full-scale alien invasion threatens the Earth, in Los Angeles, a veteran Marine staff sergeant leads his new platoon into battle with an uncommon enemy. Alien invasion stories are always popular with crowds, if they are more like "War of the Worlds" & "District 9", and less like "Skyline". The promotion of this movie has been strong. We'll see if that pays off. Starring Aaron Eckhart, Michelle Rodriguez & Bridget Moynahan.

Warner Bros. & director Zack Snyder bring us, "Sucker Punch". At first sound you'd think this was a Jason Statham vehicle. Not so fast. A young girl is institutionalized by her wicked stepfather. Retreating to an alternative reality as a coping strategy, she envisions a plan which will help her escape from the facility. Snyder loves his visuals and he delivers with his somewhat odd, yet entertaining, stories. A campaign that involves WWII style aircraft and war machines, helicopters, samurai warriors, robots, dragons & five young sexy ladies in the middle of it all, makes "Sucker Punch" one of the more intriguing popcorn movies of the year. Starring Emily Browning, Vanessa Hudgens, Abbie Cornish, Jena Malone, Jamie Chung, Carla Gugino & Jon Hamm.

Paramount Pictures & Nickelodeon Movies team up to give us the animated feature, "Rango". Rango is an ordinary chameleon who accidentally winds up in the town of Dirt, a lawless outpost in the Wild West in desperate need of a new sheriff. Starring the voices of, Johnny Depp, Isla Fisher, Timothy Olyphant, Ned Beatty, Bill Nighy, Alfred Molina, Ray Winstone & Abigail Breslin.

Warner Bros. gives us a live action version of the fairy tale, "Red Riding Hood". Set in a medieval village that is haunted by a werewolf, a young girl falls for an orphaned woodcutter, much to her family's displeasure. Starring Amanda Seyfried. Lukas Haas, Gary Oldman, Virginia Madsen, Billy Burke & Julie Christie.

Matt Damon & Emily Blunt star in the long-delayed thriller, "The Adjustment Bureau". Rising politician David Norris falls for Elise, a ballet dancer, but mysterious forces -- the agents of Fate itself -- work to keep the lovers apart.

Bradley Cooper headlines the thriller, "Limitless". A copywriter discovers a top-secret drug, MDT-48, that enhances intellect and other abilities. As his usage begins to change his life, he begins to consider the drug's shadowy origins; meanwhile, a group of killers trail his every move. Also starring Anna Friel, Abbie Cornish & Robert DeNiro.

Walt Disney Pictures delivers one of the best titles of the year, with their stop-motion animated feature, "Mars Needs Moms". A young boy named Milo gains a deeper appreciation for his mom after Martians come to Earth to take her away. Starring the voices of Seth Green, Joan Cusack, Mindy Sterling, Dan Fogler & Elisabeth Harnois.

In the alien comedy, "Paul", Two British comic-book geeks traveling across the U.S. encounter an alien outside Area 51, and with their unexpected new companion aboard their RV, they find themselves chased by federal agents -- as well as the father of the young woman the trio accidentally kidnaps. Starring Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Seth Rogen, Sigourney Weaver, Jane Lynch, Kristen Wiig & Jason Bateman.

In "Take Me Home Tonight"; Set over Labor Day Weekend in 1988, aimless college grad Matt Franklin dives into a huge party in hopes of finally winning over his high-school crush. Starring Topher Grace, Anna Faris, Dan Fogler & Teresa Palmer.

Matthew McConaughey stars in, "The Lincoln Lawyer". In Los Angeles, Mickey Haller is a criminal defense attorney who operates out of the back seat of his Lincoln Town Car. And while his latest case could be his most high-paying in years, it also brings him close to unexpected evil. Also starring Marisa Tomei, William H. Macy, Josh Lucas, Ryan Phillipe & John Leguizamo.

In "Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules", Back in middle school after summer vacation, Greg Heffley works hard to keep his secret safe, though his older brother Rodrick knows all about what happened -- and is eager to spill the beans. Starring Zachary Gordon, Devon Bostick, Robert Capron, Steve Zahn & Rachael Harris.

In "Jane Eyre", A mousy governess who softens the heart of her employer soon discovers that he's hiding a terrible secret. Starring Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender & Jamie Bell.

Finally, in "Beastly", Manhattanite Kyle Kingson is young, wealthy, beautiful, and cruel, but he picks the wrong classmate to prank when Kendra casts a spell that turns him into everything he despises. Banished to Brooklyn and informed that the only way to break the curse is to find someone who will love him as he is, a fateful encounter with Lindy, looks to literally and figuratively change his life. Starring Alex Pettyfer, Vanessa Hudgens & Mary-Kate Olsen.

Calendar with Trailers.

3/4

"Rango": http://www.rangomovie.com/

"The Adjustment Bureau": http://www.theadjustmentbureau.com/

"Take Me Home Tonight": http://www.iamrogue.com/takemehometonight

"Beastly": http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2543294489/

3/11

"Battle: Los Angeles": http://www.battlela.com/

"Jane Eyre": http://www.focusfeatures.com/jane_eyre

"Red Riding Hood": http://redridinghood.warnerbros.com/

"Mars Needs Moms": http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/marsneedsmoms/?cmp=dmov_dpic_mars_psm_Title_mars%20needs%20moms%20the%20movie_extl

3/18

"Limitless": http://www.iamrogue.com/limitless

"Paul": http://www.whatispaul.com/

"The Lincoln Lawyer": http://thelincolnlawyermovie.com/

3/25

"Sucker Punch": http://suckerpunchmovie.warnerbros.com/

"Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules": http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1233230617/

That's all for now, Independent Movies will be posted later. Enjoy!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why's it called "Sucker Punch" if there are a bunch of planes, robots and sword fights?

Because any sucker who pays to see it deserves to be punched in the head.

I mean...I'm guessing... :unsure:

Warner Bros. gives us a live action version of the fairy tale, "Red Riding Hood". Set in a medieval village that is haunted by a werewolf, a young girl falls for an orphaned woodcutter, much to her family's displeasure.

When you summarize it like that, it makes me wonder "Just what in the living !@#$ does a werewolf have to do with that story? That plot synopsis sounds suspiciously like some halfwit production assistant said "We need to attract the Twilight crowd...what can we do? I know...let's add a werewolf!" Does the woodcutter sparkle?

I mean, that just sounds like an ill-advised mashup of marketing ideas.

When you summarize it like that, it makes me wonder "Just what in the living !@#$ does a werewolf have to do with that story? That plot synopsis sounds suspiciously like some halfwit production assistant said "We need to attract the Twilight crowd...what can we do? I know...let's add a werewolf!" Does the woodcutter sparkle?

I do believe you're over-estimating the sensibilities/intelligence of the target demographic.

Edited by UConn James

There was the Big, Bad, Wolf in that story. Wolf-werewolf, more or less the same thing.

There was the Big, Bad, Wolf in that story. Wolf-werewolf, more or less the same thing.

Kind-of my point...sounds like they stuck a wolf in the middle of a half-assed love story so they could name it Red Riding Hood, then decided "Hey, wouldn't a werewolf be really frickin' cool or something? Gimme another martini..." Or some similar thought process ("Here's an idea...love triangle between a werewolf, a girl, and a woodcutter." "Great! And if wardrobe can scrape up a red cape, we can pretend it's a fairy tale!")

Kind-of my point...sounds like they stuck a wolf in the middle of a half-assed love story so they could name it Red Riding Hood, then decided "Hey, wouldn't a werewolf be really frickin' cool or something? Gimme another martini..." Or some similar thought process ("Here's an idea...love triangle between a werewolf, a girl, and a woodcutter." "Great! And if wardrobe can scrape up a red cape, we can pretend it's a fairy tale!")

It sounds like a dumb idea to try and adapt LRRH to the screen. How are you going to tell that tale for 90 minutes? So they went with a twist on the wolf (I'm betting it's Gary Oldman's character). Will it work? We'll have to wait and see.

But I have less of a problem with a werewolf than say, a vampire (not that I plan on seeing the movie...unless it's good, and then, on cable). Although they both have big fangs. ;)

Edited by Doc

It sounds like a dumb idea to try and adapt LRRH to the screen. How are you going to tell that tale for 90 minutes? So they went with a twist on the wolf (I'm betting it's Gary Oldman's character). Will it work? We'll have to wait and see.

But I have less of a problem with a werewolf than say, a vampire (not that I plan on seeing the movie...unless it's good, and then, on cable). Although they both have big fangs. ;)

What if it was a lesbian warewolf?

Just wait until they come out with the followup - Little Miss Muffet - damn if that ain't gonna be some kickass multi-million dollar CGI spider - just gotta figure out how to work in some car chases, physics-defying kung-fu and some mega-explosions and you got yourself one hell of a film....

Honestly, is there any reason for anyone over the age of 30 to even bother going to the movies anymore unless they're taking their kids to see the latest animated flick starring the voice of Meryl Streep as a cute and sassy tree sloth?

That alien in Paul is one creepy looking sumbitch, but it reminds me of that short film competition/reality show that was on a few years ago. It had Gary Marshall and Princess Leia as the judges. One of the director contestants made a short film about an alien being pulled over by a cop that made me piss myself.

It's about time we've had a FRICKIN LEGAL DRAMA back on the screen. Courtroom dramas is one of my favorite genres, so it's nice to see that someone finally put one back up on the big screen. Hopefully we can get a trend going and have a rebirth.

Thanks Mark!

Just wait until they come out with the followup - Little Miss Muffet - damn if that ain't gonna be some kickass multi-million dollar CGI spider - just gotta figure out how to work in some car chases, physics-defying kung-fu and some mega-explosions and you got yourself one hell of a film....

It'll be Miss Muffet versus...Spiderman! Yeah, that's the ticket.

Honestly, is there any reason for anyone over the age of 30 to even bother going to the movies anymore unless they're taking their kids to see the latest animated flick starring the voice of Meryl Streep as a cute and sassy tree sloth?

Stop pitching my ideas!!! I had Warners up to 750k until they read your post! :wallbash:

Easy, it just won't be the exact nursery rhyme. Little Miss Muffet is a retired hit woman, who is just relaxing somewhere in a diner, when in walks "The Spider" who sits down in her booth and tells her he needs her to do one last job or he'll report her to the cops/fbi/cia/some clandestine organization, about where to find her. The rest of the movie is her trying to get away from these organizations without doing the job.

Little Miss Muffet

Sat on a tuffet,

Eating her curds and whey;

Along came a spider,

Who sat down beside her

And frightened Miss Muffet away.

Directed by Michael Bay, starring Megan Fox as Little Miss Muffet...and introducing the the brand new 2014 Lexus sports coupe as "Tuffet".

Y'know...done right, that could actually end up in the "So stupid, it's good" category.

Why's it called "Sucker Punch" if there are a bunch of planes, robots and sword fights?

I guess we'll have to go and see it to find out. Besides, Carla Gugino is in it so.......I'm there!!!

That alien in Paul is one creepy looking sumbitch, but it reminds me of that short film competition/reality show that was on a few years ago. It had Gary Marshall and Princess Leia as the judges. One of the director contestants made a short film about an alien being pulled over by a cop that made me piss myself.

It's about time we've had a FRICKIN LEGAL DRAMA back on the screen. Courtroom dramas is one of my favorite genres, so it's nice to see that someone finally put one back up on the big screen. Hopefully we can get a trend going and have a rebirth.

Thanks Mark!

Paul looks very funny. I trust Simon Pegg in almost anything.

It is nice to have a Legal Drama movie around again. Unfortunately, it's headlined by Matthew McConaughey.

Edited by Mark Vader

Little Miss Muffet

Sat on a tuffet,

Eating her curds and whey;

Along came a spider,

Who sat down beside her

And frightened Miss Muffet away.

Been so long since I've heard anything but the Andrew Dice Clay version it doesn't even sound right.