March Movies: Battle L.A., Sucker Punch, Rango....

Mark Vader

There aren't enough legal dramas on teevee? :unsure:

I very, very, very rarely watch scripted television or else that might be a great solution for me

Been so long since I've heard anything but the Andrew Dice Clay version it doesn't even sound right.

:lol: That's so true

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leading the way with a summer feel to it, Columbia Pictures brings us, "Battle: Los Angeles". As a full-scale alien invasion threatens the Earth, in Los Angeles, a veteran Marine staff sergeant leads his new platoon into battle with an uncommon enemy. Alien invasion stories are always popular with crowds, if they are more like "War of the Worlds" & "District 9", and less like "Skyline". The promotion of this movie has been strong. We'll see if that pays off. Starring Aaron Eckhart, Michelle Rodriguez & Bridget Moynahan.

Went and saw it this afternoon. If you like your movies with lots of action and standard formula, with little to none original thought, this is the movie for you! Best line... "Can I help? I'm a veterinarian." If the crowd in my theater is any indication, this won't be around very long. In a theater that seats about 400-500, only about 30 people were there.

Went and saw it this afternoon. If you like your movies with lots of action and standard formula, with little to none original thought, this is the movie for you! Best line... "Can I help? I'm a veterinarian." If the crowd in my theater is any indication, this won't be around very long. In a theater that seats about 400-500, only about 30 people were there.

Movies of this kind generally do not have long box office lives. As for your indication, I must ask you this. How many theatres are in your area, and at what time of day did you see the show that drew only 30 people?

As for your indication, I must ask you this. How many theatres are in your area, and at what time of day did you see the show that drew only 30 people?

According to Fandango there are three theaters within 20 miles of me (Syracuse) showing it, all Regal owned. I saw it mid afternoon, about 4:30.

Battle: LA made $36M this weekend.

I went Friday night to go see Battle LA with a bunch of people from work. Theater was PACKED. Lots of industry folks there, so it's always a bit different. But it was AH-MAH-ZING! Seriously, a work of cinematic greatness. Forget the critics, they just straight up hatin'!!!!

Seriously, there's a scene where one character gives not one, not two, not THREE but FOUR monologues! Then caps it off by saying, with a straight face, "but none of that matters right now". :worthy: :worthy:

Everyone should go see this movie. Twice.

Edited by tgreg99

I went Friday night to go see Battle LA with a bunch of people from work. Theater was PACKED. Lots of industry folks there, so it's always a bit different. But it was AH-MAH-ZING! Seriously, a work of cinematic greatness. Forget the critics, they just straight up hatin'!!!!

Seriously, there's a scene where one character gives not one, not two, not THREE but FOUR monologues! Then caps it off by saying, with a straight face, "but none of that matters right now". :worthy: :worthy:

Everyone should go see this movie. Twice.

:lol:

Suckerpunch, sexy girls kicking as...s..... in japanese school girl outfits......

I and my wife are there!

It's funny, at the Battle LA showing I went to there were a lot of previews. Fast Five got a loud ovation and plenty of laughs. Ditto for Conan. Arthur got mixed silence. Sucker Punch got one person, way in the back, who clapped when that trailer ended -- and then everyone laughed.

It's funny, at the Battle LA showing I went to there were a lot of previews. Fast Five got a loud ovation and plenty of laughs. Ditto for Conan. Arthur got mixed silence. Sucker Punch got one person, way in the back, who clapped when that trailer ended -- and then everyone laughed.

I'm starting to think I'm the only person who finds Russell Brand HILARIOUS. I was laughing hysterically at almost every scene he was in during that Sarah Marshall film. A lot of people didn't care for Get Him to the Greek, but again, I thought he was hilarious!

Can't wait for Fast Five...one of my favorite film franchises of all time and always a lot of fun to revisit at home with the surround sound :thumbsup:

I'm starting to think I'm the only person who finds Russell Brand HILARIOUS. I was laughing hysterically at almost every scene he was in during that Sarah Marshall film. A lot of people didn't care for Get Him to the Greek, but again, I thought he was hilarious!

Can't wait for Fast Five...one of my favorite film franchises of all time and always a lot of fun to revisit at home with the surround sound :thumbsup:

You're not alone. I loved Brand in Sarah Marshall. I think he's great as a side/supporting character. I didn't LOVE Get Him To The Greek, but it was better than I expected it to be. I think Brand is pretty hilarious overall, I just prefer him in small doses rather than being the lead.

You're not alone. I loved Brand in Sarah Marshall. I think he's great as a side/supporting character. I didn't LOVE Get Him To The Greek, but it was better than I expected it to be. I think Brand is pretty hilarious overall, I just prefer him in small doses rather than being the lead.

Good point, I definitely agree that if he's always on the screen that it can sort of get overwhelming and lose its novelty. I guess we'll see how he handles things in Arthur...the previews didn't look that good to me, but it's hard for me to imagine that all of a sudden the guy won't be funny. It sometimes doesn't even matter what is written for him...it's his delivery and expressions that can really get you. I also find the guy very sharp and witty, even though his image is the exact opposite. When you watch him during an interview he clearly has a lot going on upstairs. Not as much as someone like Robin Williams, but he's got the synapses firing.

I thought the scenes in Sarah Marshall where he was interacting with Jason Segel's character were some of the funniest I'd seen in a long time. Instead of having the typical mano a mano type thing or some sort of confrontation, Brand was trying to bond with the guy and even console him and offer relationship advice lol...that was great.

Russell Brand is funny, but like Will Ferell & Adam Sandler, it is difficult to take 90 minutes of him.

The "Arthur" remake he is in is going to be a tough sell. Dudley Moore made that role and his interaction with Sir John Gielgud is absolute gold. Moore was charming and hilarious, Brand is hilarious too, yet he also comes off as a bit creepy. Having Helen Mirren playing a nanny Hobson is probably a wise move, because everyone sees Gielgud as Hobson. Two things I do find to be positives are the casting of Jennifer Garner as Susan Johnson & Nick Nolte as Burt Johnson.

Edited by Mark Vader

Just wait until they come out with the followup - Little Miss Muffet - damn if that ain't gonna be some kickass multi-million dollar CGI spider - just gotta figure out how to work in some car chases, physics-defying kung-fu and some mega-explosions and you got yourself one hell of a film....

Honestly, is there any reason for anyone over the age of 30 to even bother going to the movies anymore unless they're taking their kids to see the latest animated flick starring the voice of Meryl Streep as a cute and sassy tree sloth?

It is is hard to find a reason, especially at the cost, but I can find a good show to see every now and then. The last two I went to the theater to see were The Social Network and The King's Speech.

Sadly most movies seem to be categorized (at best) 'wait for the DVD' or 'stream it'.

It is is hard to find a reason, especially at the cost,

Last time I went I had a free ticket, but while waiting in line noticed the matinee is now $8/adults, and evening shows are $10/adults. And that's not for any special 3D movie. Hey Rock, aren't you eligible for Senior Citizen rates?

Last time I went I had a free ticket, but while waiting in line noticed the matinee is now $8/adults, and evening shows are $10/adults. And that's not for any special 3D movie. Hey Rock, aren't you eligible for Senior Citizen rates?

Movie ticket prices are ridiculosly high, yet compared to other forms of entertainment they are still on the cheap side.

One good thing that many theatre chains are doing now is having low ticket prices for the first showing of the day. Prices for those showtimes range between $5-$6. Very satisfying if you do'nt mind seeing a movie at 11 a.m.

Movie ticket prices are ridiculosly high, yet compared to other forms of entertainment they are still on the cheap side.

One good thing that many theatre chains are doing now is having low ticket prices for the first showing of the day. Prices for those showtimes range between $5-$6. Very satisfying if you do'nt mind seeing a movie at 11 a.m.

Hell, Im usually still in bed at 11am.

I don't mind the ticket prices as much as I do the concessions. I was traumatized by movie popcorn back in 1992, so I never buy that anyway...but $5.75 for a damn coke is nuts man.

Don't go see Paul. My early nomination for Turd Of The Year. Really disappointing since I enjoyed Shawn Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz. This one got the Hollywood treatment and it showed. Clumsy attempt at humor rarely made me smile. I think early in the film when they were at Comic Con there may have been a few moments that made me smile I guess. One of those movies I couldn't wait to end to get out of there. What really seemed weird was the swipes the movie took at creationism. Kind weird because it seemed so out of place in this lame brained, light weight disaster. Anyway, Hollywood just can't help itself I suppose. Had the obligatory country redneck that can't wait to use his gun on anyone and anything. Stereotyped government agent with a signed pic of GW Bush on her desk and so on.