JETS RELEASE NUMBER 6 pick in 2008 draft - let's get him

Well, it seems that the Bills are not the only team that royally screwed up their number one pick in 2008. And to think they had a shot at drafting so many other PRO BOWL players but chose Vern Gholston in the number six slot. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jets-woody

How many of you think we should grab GHOLSTON after all he was picked #6 in the draft by a playoff team ... they must know what they are doing when they draft. Ohio State products never fail ... he just needs to play somewhere closer to home, Detroit. In his career so far he has at least ten times more tackles than Maybin has ... let's go get him!!! :worthy:

Edited by shoretalk

It would be funny if we picked him up and he had 10 sacks next year alongside Maybin who rebounds with two sub-par years, who contrubutes 71/2 of his own. Of course this doesn't hold a match to Merriman's 19 en route to Def. Player of the Year honors.

No, I am not stoned. ;)

Well, it seems that the Bills are not the only team that royally screwed up their number one pick in 2008. And to think they had a shot at drafting so many other PRO BOWL players but chose Vern Gholston in the number six slot. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jets-woody

How many of you think we should grab GHOLSTON after all he was picked #6 in the draft by a playoff team ... they must know what they are doing when they draft. Ohio State products never fail ... he just needs to play somewhere closer to home, Detroit. In his career so far he has at least ten times more tackles than Maybin has ... let's go get him!!! :worthy:

I have a friend who works for the Bills and she said that his name came up a few weeks back. Apparently the OBD anticipated this move by Gang Green.... They must see SOMETHING in him..... Is there a Wanny connection?

At least Gholsten was/is the size of an NFL player at his position. I will never know what possessed the Bills to think Maybin was an NFL caliber human being.

There were some commonalities that seduced some unwise buyers. Both were workout warriors with poor football instincts. Being a good athlete doesn't necessarily mean you are a good football player. The combine can be a trap for staffs who don't know what they are doing. A word to the wise: The stop watch shouldn't trump the game tape. When you hear comments how a player is skyrocketing up the board it is time to be cautious and go back to the video.

Edited by JohnC

It would be funny if we picked him up and he had 10 sacks next year alongside Maybin who rebounds with two sub-par years, who contrubutes 71/2 of his own. Of course this doesn't hold a match to Merriman's 19 en route to Def. Player of the Year honors.

No, I am not stoned. ;)

I would request an impartial judge.haha.

But look to san diego FA. I bet we have one or two of them on the F. Office radar.

What would the Gholston guy bring to the field that we might want? Some one to hang with Mr Maybin or someone who can help us right away?

There is nothing in the article about the #6 pick in the 2008 draft being released.

You have to read the complete article :oops: ... here's the quote that you can find on the link ...

"The Daily News first reported the moves and also reported veteran defensive end Jason Taylor(notes), who signed with the Jets before last season, and 2009 first-round draft choice Vernon Gholston(notes) will be let go by the team

By parting ways with the four players, the Jets could save about $10 million dollars."

You have to read the complete article :oops: ... here's the quote that you can find on the link ...

"The Daily News first reported the moves and also reported veteran defensive end Jason Taylor(notes), who signed with the Jets before last season, and 2009 first-round draft choice Vernon Gholston(notes) will be let go by the team

By parting ways with the four players, the Jets could save about $10 million dollars."

This tells me they're starting to dump salary with the contracts they have in Revis, Edwards, Moss, and will eventually be giving to Sanchez. That said, Taylor is almost retired, Woody is constantly hurt, Jenkins is a question mark because of injury, and Gholston hasn't turned out to be what they wanted.

What I'm afraid of is that the Bills pick up Gholston, then think they have the defensive pieces in place...then pick Newton at #3. :unsure:

Edited by BuffaloWings

The Jets weren't a playoff team when they picked him or they wouldn't have had the #6 pick in the draft. How many teams do you think were saying that they should have grabbed Mike Williams, he was picked #4 in the draft? Even if they were a playoff team, that doesn't mean they can't miss on a pick here and there, all teams do. Unless he comes at minimum salary and earns a spot, I don't see the sense in taking someone who has failed so miserably when given every change to succeed.

I think if you were a 4-3 team you could make the argument that he was perhaps being played out of position and give him a chance at DE. However, the Bills are not, so no interest.

Agreed. Gholston's only chance at redemption is trying his hand at 4-3 DE. It worked for Jason Babin, seems like Gholston could become serviceable in a system that suits him, but that's not Buffalo.

Why are we so anxious to grab everyone else's cast offs?

Good question? I guess because people enjoy being a bad team and want to keep our league leading streak of years without making the playoffs intact. Seems like every under achieving, over paid, draft bust that is cut-has plenty of people on TBD screaming for the Bills to sign them. Then again, maybe the team is listening, could explain our futility for so long.