Bills meet w/ Kaepernick

judman

IS there any chance he would be available at #34?

I think taking any QB in this draft at #3 overall would be a huge mistake. I think from an overall team approach we need two things in our defensive front 7: 1.) a mean, stout DT that will push the pocket, free up our LB's, and demand double teams and 2.) pass rushers that will consistently get to the enemy QB.

I think the true impact players that can come in and contribute right away will be available at #3 and #34. Fairley, Dareus, and Von Miller all look better to me at #3.

Then take that QB at #34.

IS there any chance he would be available at #34?

I think taking any QB in this draft at #3 overall would be a huge mistake. I think from an overall team approach we need two things in our defensive front 7: 1.) a mean, stout DT that will push the pocket, free up our LB's, and demand double teams and 2.) pass rushers that will consistently get to the enemy QB.

I think the true impact players that can come in and contribute right away will be available at #3 and #34. Fairley, Dareus, and Von Miller all look better to me at #3.

Then take that QB at #34.

Sorry I meant our 3rd rounder....lol.....not #3 lol. I agree though with any QB at #3 overall is bad idea. Love team approach. Love D in rounds one and two. I do like this kid if he's there in the 3rd round.

I haven't been too hyped on any of the quarterbacks in this draft, but if the bills are to choose one then I would prefer Kaepernick over anyone else. I think he has just as much of a chance as anybody if coached up well. He also seems like the best fit personality wise; I was comparing his interview to Newton's and Mallet's, and he just seems like more of a natural leader and much more mature.

In my opinion, Newton seems too full of himself, I think the national attention he's getting is going to his head. Mallet acted like a brat during his interview. Honestly, this is a once in a lifetime chance to leave an impression on every team in the NFL, and you can't handle the questions you're being asked? I understand why he was angry, but for god's sake have some self control.

all the highlights I can find on Colin K. are him running the ball, and that concerns me, I watched a little Nevada football the past couple years, and thats really all I remember about him too...running....

That said, obviously he can pass, he threw for 10,000 yards....thatssss impressive no matter what...

Is anyone else concerned that he looks kind of skinny?

Yeah the guys was pretty slim at the Senior Bowl. Apparently he put on 8 pounds of muscle when he weighed in at the combine. His mechanics and throwing motion are pretty bad. He ran the spread at Nevada. He's got a huge arm and he's fast. He's a big time project. However, he's a very smart kid. He may not last until the 3rd round with so many teams needing a QB.

Yeah the guys was pretty slim at the Senior Bowl. Apparently he put on 8 pounds of muscle when he weighed in at the combine. His mechanics and throwing motion are pretty bad. He ran the spread at Nevada. He's got a huge arm and he's fast. He's a big time project. However, he's a very smart kid. He may not last until the 3rd round with so many teams needing a QB.

Yes, a pistol offense variation. Something Gailey has run at he NFL level.

Running the Pistol with our offensive line was dumb. I'll never understand why we did it.

LOL. He didn't run a pistol offense with the Bills! Although he did run a lot run a lot of spread variations that produced one hell of a lot better than previous years.

I have only seen CK play in 2 games (don't see many wolfpack games), but in both games he was quite impressive. The guy is both huge and fast, and throws lasers...BUT, his throwing motion will probably need to be adjusted for the nfl...which to me is a scary proposition. That being said, if Gailey/Nix & Co. are extremely confident about the kid, and are 100% sure he can be leading our football team in 2 years, I would have no problems taking him with our 2nd round pick. Fitz starts this season and maybe next, while CK gets groomed and his mechanics get fine-tuned and hopefully he'll be ready to take over in 2012/2013.

Edited by bobobonators

Running the Pistol with our offensive line was dumb. I'll never understand why we did it.

I know Gailey ran the Pistol in KC with Thigpen.

I don't remember the Bills using the Pistol. That's where the RB lines a few yards behind the QB who is in a shallow shotgun…only a few yards behind the center as opposed to the shotgun where the QB is positioned deeper in the backfield.

Anyone?

I know Gailey ran the Pistol in KC with Thigpen.

I don't remember the Bills using the Pistol. That's where the RB lines a few yards behind the QB who is in a shallow shotgun…only a few yards behind the center as opposed to the shotgun where the QB is positioned deeper in the backfield.

Anyone?

Yeah that's the Pistol. I remember seeing it used more with FJ than Spiller.

If Chan is really "the man" at QB development and designing offenses around their upside: this is our guy, a poor mans Newton....unassuming, but with as high a ceiling in the NFL. Buf doesn't need a "Me First" guy like Cam, I would rather see a team-first guy with a chip on his shoulder to show the world he was round 1 material....

====================================================================

2010 seasonEntering the 2010 NCAA season, Kaepernick ranks #1 among active college football players in rushing touchdowns. He is second in Yards Per Carry (behind Wolf Pack teammate Vai Taua), Total Offense per Game, and Touchdowns Scored. He ranks #3 in Yards per Play and #4 in pass touchdowns and Total Number of Offensive Plays.

Kaepernick was a counselor at the prestigious MPA event in Thibodaux, Louisiana, during the 2010 camp. He had an impressive showing, drawing praise from various NFL and ESPN personnel including former New York Giants QB Jesse Palmer who said of Kaepernick, "by far, the strongest arm in the camp".[4]

It was also announced that Kaepernick, along with teammates Taua and Lippincott will have a display in the College Football Hall of Fame commemorating their being the first players in NCAA history to each break 1,000 yards rushing on the same team during the same season. [5] Kaepernick has been named to the watch list for six major college football awards: the Manning Award, the O'Brien Award, the Paul Hornung Award, the Maxwell Award, the Unitas Award, and the Walter Camp Award.

On November 26, Kaepernick led his team to a 34-31 overtime victory against the previously undefeated Boise State Broncos, snapping a 24 game win streak that had dated back to the 2008 Poinsettia Bowl. This game was played on Nevada's senior night, the final home game for Kaepernick and fellow notable senior running back Vai Taua. Nevada Head Coach Chris Ault would later call this game the "most important win in program history." During this game, Kaepernick surpassed 1,000 rushing yards for this season, becoming the first player in NCAA history to have over 2,000 yards passing and 1,000 yards rushing for 3 consecutive seasons. Along with Taua's 131 yards rushing in the game, the duo became the NCAA's all time leaders in rushing yards by teammates (8,285) passing the legendary SMU duo of Eric Dickerson and Craig James (8,193) known as the "Pony Express".".[6]

On December 4 against Louisiana Tech University, Kaepernick joined Florida's Tim Tebow as the second quarterback in FBS history to throw for 20 touchdowns and run for 20 in the same season. Later that same evening, Auburn's Cam Newton joined Tebow and Kaepernick as the third. Kaepernick's three rushing touchdowns in that game also placed in him in a tie with former Nebraska QB and Heisman Trophy winner Eric Crouch for most rushing TD's in NCAA history by a quarterback with 59 in his career.

Kaepernick currently stands as the only quarterback in the history of Division I college football to have passed for over 10,000 yards and rushed for over 4,000 yards in a collegiate career and also as the only QB to have passed for over 2,000 yards and rushed for over 1,000 yards in a single season three times in a career (consecutively).

Edited by filthymcnasty08

If Chan is really "the man" at QB development and designing offenses around their upside: this is our guy, a poor mans Newton....unassuming, but with as high a ceiling in the NFL. Buf doesn't need a "Me First" guy like Cam, I would rather see a team-first guy with a chip on his shoulder to show the world he was round 1 material....

====================================================================

2010 seasonEntering the 2010 NCAA season, Kaepernick ranks #1 among active college football players in rushing touchdowns. He is second in Yards Per Carry (behind Wolf Pack teammate Vai Taua), Total Offense per Game, and Touchdowns Scored. He ranks #3 in Yards per Play and #4 in pass touchdowns and Total Number of Offensive Plays.

Kaepernick was a counselor at the prestigious MPA event in Thibodaux, Louisiana, during the 2010 camp. He had an impressive showing, drawing praise from various NFL and ESPN personnel including former New York Giants QB Jesse Palmer who said of Kaepernick, "by far, the strongest arm in the camp".[4]

It was also announced that Kaepernick, along with teammates Taua and Lippincott will have a display in the College Football Hall of Fame commemorating their being the first players in NCAA history to each break 1,000 yards rushing on the same team during the same season. [5] Kaepernick has been named to the watch list for six major college football awards: the Manning Award, the O'Brien Award, the Paul Hornung Award, the Maxwell Award, the Unitas Award, and the Walter Camp Award.

On November 26, Kaepernick led his team to a 34-31 overtime victory against the previously undefeated Boise State Broncos, snapping a 24 game win streak that had dated back to the 2008 Poinsettia Bowl. This game was played on Nevada's senior night, the final home game for Kaepernick and fellow notable senior running back Vai Taua. Nevada Head Coach Chris Ault would later call this game the "most important win in program history." During this game, Kaepernick surpassed 1,000 rushing yards for this season, becoming the first player in NCAA history to have over 2,000 yards passing and 1,000 yards rushing for 3 consecutive seasons. Along with Taua's 131 yards rushing in the game, the duo became the NCAA's all time leaders in rushing yards by teammates (8,285) passing the legendary SMU duo of Eric Dickerson and Craig James (8,193) known as the "Pony Express".".[6]

On December 4 against Louisiana Tech University, Kaepernick joined Florida's Tim Tebow as the second quarterback in FBS history to throw for 20 touchdowns and run for 20 in the same season. Later that same evening, Auburn's Cam Newton joined Tebow and Kaepernick as the third. Kaepernick's three rushing touchdowns in that game also placed in him in a tie with former Nebraska QB and Heisman Trophy winner Eric Crouch for most rushing TD's in NCAA history by a quarterback with 59 in his career.

Kaepernick currently stands as the only quarterback in the history of Division I college football to have passed for over 10,000 yards and rushed for over 4,000 yards in a collegiate career and also as the only QB to have passed for over 2,000 yards and rushed for over 1,000 yards in a single season three times in a career (consecutively).

Why would you want to draft "poor mans cam newton" when you can draft the real thing? Doesnt make any sense.

per buffalorumblings.com

I think this kid will do well, whether that is here in Buffalo, or somewhere else. I have heard all the talk about the throwing motion, etc. But... I have watched him play for two years now, I have no reason to change my mind. He is good. I would be happy with this guy.

I've also seen him play a couple times. I also like what I've read about him.

He has a super strong arm, is very mobile and is smart.

IF we were to take a future starting QB in this draft, they better be ready to go after next season. This is a contract year for Fitz and I find it hard to believe he'll resign if there is someone waiting in the wings to take his job

The more I learn about this kid, the more I like him. I didn't realize how big/tall he was until I saw an interview. He was towering over the reporter! Doesn't seem to have a big head or take himself too seriously. I agree the previous poster who said that most of the highlight clips you find are him running, which actually impresses me more given how tall he is. He does seem to have a knack for putting the ball in tight spots though, and he can also throw on the run. This is just based on what I've seen on tape, though, not from actual games...I've never seen the kid play in a single game so take this analysis with a grain of salt. But I'd MUCH rather draft a stud defensive player with our first pick and then grab this kid in the 2nd as opposed to taking a chance on Newton or Gabbert. Let Kaepernick sit behind fitzy for a year or two and who knows....maybe this kid can be the next great B-lo QB?