Songs that Affected You on an Emotional Level

ajzepp

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Queen, "The Show Must Go On". It's tough not to be touched, just a little bit, by Freddie Mercury singing his own requiem.

You know, as popular as he is and was, I still feel the guy is underrated. Truly one of the greatest front men of all time and one HELL of a talented dude. RIP Freddy!

First song I heard after putting my dog down -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZFkXQKCuBc

I love this...this is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever recorded, IMO.

off the top of my head...

"He Was a Friend of Mine" (dylan version)

"Mr. Ambulance Driver" - Flaming Lips

"Brass Buttons" - Graham Parsons

"Sam Stone" - John Prine

"Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers

"Between the Bars" (Madeleine Peyroux version)

this list reminded me of one other song I forgot to mention...

I grew up on the BeeGees to a degree, but when I picked up their best of compliation a while back I got to hear some of their pre-disco stuff. One of the songs that really made me think was "I started a Joke". It reminds me of something that John Lennon would write.

You know, as popular as he is and was, I still feel the guy is underrated. Truly one of the greatest front men of all time and one HELL of a talented dude. RIP Freddy!

The only pop singer to have a greater vocal range is Mariah Carey (whose range was positively inhuman in her prime). Mercury could cover something like five octaves.

And his Live Aid performance was absolutely stunning. Unbelievably, they were basically signed on as "filler", and ended up stealing the entire show.

The only pop singer to have a greater vocal range is Mariah Carey (whose range was positively inhuman in her prime). Mercury could cover something like five octaves.

And his Live Aid performance was absolutely stunning. Unbelievably, they were basically signed on as "filler", and ended up stealing the entire show.

That's awesome...I really need to revisit some of his earlier stuff with Queen. Do you know about what year that Live Aid show was? I want to see if they have it on bluray or DVD or something.

Taps.

Definitely. First time I heard that in person I lost it. Was all I could do to keep it inside.

Huge fan of the Johnny Cash/Fiona Apple version of Cat Stevens' Father and Son. I can't find a live performance...just the lame fan versions with still shots of the performers but here you go...

To make a long story short, our first kid (a boy) didn't make it full term and this song really got to me at the time.

PS - Happy to report that we've had a girl (3 yrs old) and boy (3 mos old) since.

Huge fan of the Johnny Cash/Fiona Apple version of Cat Stevens' Father and Son. I can't find a live performance...just the lame fan versions with still shots of the performers but here you go...

youtube.com/watch?v=FsGERE6GH8M&playnext=1&list=PLE7A012DBA3E79EE7

To make a long story short, our first kid (a boy) didn't make it full term and this song really got to me at the time.

PS - Happy to report that we've had a girl (3 yrs old) and boy (3 mos old) since.

Never heard that song, but I like it...Johnny Cash's voice could really convey the nature of the song.

Really sorry to hear about the little guy not making it :( Sounds like you have a heckuva nice family there

Never heard that song, but I like it...Johnny Cash's voice could really convey the nature of the song.

Really sorry to hear about the little guy not making it :( Sounds like you have a heckuva nice family there

Thanks bud. That whole Unearthed series of albums with Johnny Cash are really powerful. You can really get the sense that he realizes that it's the last that he's going to produce. It's one of the most honest sets of songs I know of. Kind of like the last Warren Zevon album. Keep Me In Your Heart gets to me too..

Death is a B word.

Edited by MattyT

live aid was July 1985...i remember a buddy of mine watching it on MTV live almost start to finish...what a great musical event that was, here is part 1 of 5 from queen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDckgX3oU_w

That's awesome...I really need to revisit some of his earlier stuff with Queen. Do you know about what year that Live Aid show was? I want to see if they have it on bluray or DVD or something.

Definitely. First time I heard that in person I lost it. Was all I could do to keep it inside.

2010 was the shittiest year of my adult life...this song stopped me in my tracks a couple of times...don't pay attention to who it is, or the video, just close your eyes and listen...ironically, Rich re-recorded this song, years later, on what would be the last track on his final record...gotta admit, I felt like "going home" a few times...

Edited by Buftex