Gailey talks at the Combine

boyst

did my best guys to get all this stuff typed up. I am a fast typer and can pretty much keep up with people talking, but Gailey mumbles so dang much it got challenging, even after backing up. I know not all of you have Sirius, and I people will be curious what he said. I stayed in from spreading fertilizer to hear this and type it all up for us...so...

Chan Gailey on Sirius

The Combine will not change the majority of what you have seen for 9 months, but you are just making sure he looks like he fits, he is healthy and maybe he'll have some good 40 times and perform well.

On the Steelers, and last season:

"We were 25% successful" in a win, bottom line business. They built a foundation, and found things that they can grow on / answers. They found the answer on QB, and they found out they had more then Lee Evans at WR." EXACTLY QUOTED

Drafted players:

The majority of them will help us improve, and the OL has improved.

Nix found some great guys to put on "our" football team at OL

On Fitz:

Improvement - "As time went on during the season he had a much better understanding of what we were trying to do offensively" - - routes, defenses, plays. "The great thing about Fitz is I can talk to him about terms, and he understands." "He understands how important it is not to take sacks or throw INT's and got enough gunslinger in him to make him dangerous. -" EXACTLY QUOTED

Fitz or draft.

Q: We get a lot of Bills fans calling us up and asking us if they will take a QB in the first round. Are you guys looking for a QB in the first round or is Ryan Fitzpatrick the QB of the Buffalo Bills?

"Yes on both accounts...The thing is we are fortunate to have a QB we think we can win with, we do. We think Fitz can go out there and get us to the playoffs and get us to the championship. I would not put it past him to be honest with you. I got a lot of confidence in the guy. I am not sure if Fitz, because of his age or what he has been through that if you can turn him in to a franchise, a guy that will play 10 or 12 years from you and be that guy that will last 12 years. I am not sure he has got that many years left. So, what we've got is a guy that can play and win, but if there is a franchise QB sitting there for the good of the organization, we gotta go with it." EXACTLY QUOTED

On a QB being an entertainer, etc, basically Newton...how does it make you feel?

"I think what you, you know, tell me some things you said when you were 20 or 21 years old..." "

commentator: I want a guy studying film tape on a tuesday, etc, not filming a commercial...

"I do not disagree with that, the thing you gotta ask yourself is do you know him well enough to know is that cockyness or confidence. And there is a line there and you have to be a little bit concerned. That could be a plus, so where is the line on that, and without enoguh information I hesitate to say I do not care what was said or I do not want that guy no matter what.." "Until you get enough information as you can, don't commit."

What Does chan gailey want to know about cam

"I want to see in a short period of time how much football he knows. Pro Football he knows. Not reading the end on the option, how much pro football knowledge does he know and seem comfortable with it. I can go memorize the elements of it but I do't know chemistry. So how much does he feel comfortable with it, how much does he use it. That's the number one thing I am going to try to get out of it." EXACTLY QUOTED

The run D

"I think we have to get stronger and more physical up front, we have to be able to create run defense, whether running or movement. i do think we'll be better if we keep everyone healthy and everyone knows the system. I think adding dave wannstadt will add something to our run dfense. I think with thought processes and schemes, but i don't know that but that is the plan."

on thought process/ 3-4 / 4-3

which is better... "yes." He promoted the hybrid system, wanting to do combinations to put the best players on the field, such as Merriman and Kelsay on the field to rush the passer.

On Merriman

"we Think he has a great deal left. Nix knows him better then anyone, has a great relationship with the guy. If buddy tells me he can get healthy and make a major contribution then I believe that." paraphrased. He goes on to say he's confident

on CJ's production in 2010

"Not what anyone of us wanted." "No one, fans, etc." "I think everyone expected more production. I do not think it is his fault. I think it is my fault, um...the situation you are putting in a new offense trying ot find a new offense, you got that going the first few weeks. you don't have things other then him, lynch and jackson hurt all preseason and now they are back. I know they are all excuses." "but i think we know how to use him now." " i think he'll be more productive from now on." "he has to work on pass protection and ball security. get good at those two, he'll have a very good buffalo bill career.

Edited by jboyst62

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was great, thanks for the transcription.

I like to hear the confidence in Fitz, but I also think they're taking the right approach. If they think they have a franchise guy available, take him, otherwise fix that defense and let Fitz do his thing.

Thank you, jboyst62!

You have a future in stenography.

What I take from that is Fitz is our man for the foreseeable future and we won't be drafting Newton <because he won't be our 1st pick and not likely there in Rd. 2>. Depending on FA, we'll be going heavy DL "we have to get stronger and more physical up front" in the draft. He's publically blaming himself for Spiller -but CJ HAS to get better quickly..

Seems to me, he thinks like most of us do.:thumbsup:

Thank you, jboyst62!

You have a future in stenography.

What I take from that is Fitz is our man for the foreseeable future and we won't be drafting Newton <because he won't be our 1st pick and not likely there in Rd. 2>. Depending on FA, we'll be going heavy DL "we have to get stronger and more physical up front" in the draft. He's publically blaming himself for Spiller -but CJ HAS to get better quickly..

Seems to me, he thinks like most of us do.:thumbsup:

Really?!? :unsure:

I am not sure if Fitz, because of his age or what he has been through that if you can turn him in to a franchise, a guy that will play 10 or 12 years from you and be that guy that will last 12 years. I am not sure he has got that many years left. So, what we've got is a guy that can play and win, but if there is a franchise QB sitting there for the good of the organization, we gotta go with it.

Good stuff jboyst62.

I'm thinking QB at 3. Also, and this sucks, I think he thinks the Oline might be set with the competition for the right side of the line coming from Pears, Urbik, and Hang (assuming Wood goes to C). I suppose that means more defense which is hardly a bad thing however.

Good quote on Newton. Not an overreaction, but firmly suggesting the need for him to know PRO football. It'll be interesting to see how Cam takes to Chan's questioning. Personally, I think Gabbert will excel in this area much more than Newton.

thx for the recap

just as judge mh has said all along: fitz is a quality starter good enough to get you to the show and thus commit to for a half decade, but if you see a potential franchise guy sitting there when youre drafting then you take him

fortunately, there will NOT be any franchise guy there at three so there is zero chance they will mess up a chance to take a stud (prolly DL) that could help the team now

That was great, thanks for the transcription.

I like to hear the confidence in Fitz, but I also think they're taking the right approach. If they think they have a franchise guy available, take him, otherwise fix that defense and let Fitz do his thing.

This makes so much more sense than....

- Gabbert SUCKS!

- Newton BLOWS!

- I think <insert name> in the 7th round is just as good as taking a QB at #3.

Bottom line, this team desperately needs a franchise QB, and if Gabbert or Newton make the grade then take one of them at #3. Just because the Pats got lucky with Brady in the 6th round, doesn't mean it is going to happen the same way for the Bills or any other team, anytime soon.

Edited by LabattBlue

on CJ's production in 2010

"Not what anyone of us wanted." "No one, fans, etc." "I think everyone expected more production. I do not think it is his fault. I think it is my fault, um...the situation you are putting in a new offense trying ot find a new offense, you got that going the first few weeks. you don't have things other then him, lynch and jackson hurt all preseason and now they are back. I know they are all excuses." "but i think we know how to use him now." " i think he'll be more productive from now on." "he has to work on pass protection and ball security. get good at those two, he'll have a very good buffalo bill career.

I'm afraid that is going to mean "leave him on the bench" <_<

Regarding what he said about QB - did anyone think we are going to add a late round groom QB prospect? Chan says he likes Fitz, could get us to the playoffs, but he isn’t our franchise guy because he is older. He said they want to go with fitz and add someone to be the franchise QB. Well a late round guy may be that guy. Considering Gaileys history with late round QBs/nobodies I bet that’s the route they go. Dalton or Kapernaek perhaps? Hopefully its not in the 1st two rounds though, I want instant starters.

Edited by Thoner7

This makes so much more sense than....

- Gabbert SUCKS!

- Newton BLOWS!

- I think <insert name> in the 7th round is just as good as taking a QB at #3.

Bottom line, this team desperately needs a franchise QB, and if Gabbert or Newton make the grade then take one of them at #3. Just because the Pats got lucky with Brady in the 6th round, doesn't mean it is going to happen the same way for the Bills or any other team, anytime soon.

Thats a Bingo!

Highlights from Chan Gailey's presser at the Combine/ ESPN Tim Graham

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/26262/highlights-from-chan-gailey-at-combine

He is "anxious" to see Auburn quarterback Cam Newton work out in Lucas Oil Stadium and called him "a big athlete that's in that Wildcat mode, but obviously has the ability to go to the dropback-passer mode."

Gailey claimed he wasn't concerned with Newton being a one-year starter at Auburn.

Ten years ago, the NFL dictated to colleges how quarterbacks should play. In the next decade, Gailey foresees college football dictating how the NFL uses the quarterbacks who emerge from whatever offenses work in college.

Chan Gailey Transcript/WGR 550 Sports radio http://wgr550.com/Chan-Gailey-transcript-from-NFL-Combine-2-24/9274268

Edited by Fig Newton

Good Job doing this and Thanks

Fitz or draft.

Q: We get a lot of Bills fans calling us up and asking us if they will take a QB in the first round. Are you guys looking for a QB in the first round or is Ryan Fitzpatrick the QB of the Buffalo Bills?

"Yes on both accounts...The thing is we are fortunate to have a QB we think we can win with, we do. We think Fitz can go out there and get us to the playoffs and get us to the championship. I would not put it past him to be honest with you. I got a lot of confidence in the guy. I am not sure if Fitz, because of his age or what he has been through that if you can turn him in to a franchise, a guy that will play 10 or 12 years from you and be that guy that will last 12 years. I am not sure he has got that many years left. So, what we've got is a guy that can play and win, but if there is a franchise QB sitting there for the good of the organization, we gotta go with it." EXACTLY QUOTED

On a QB being an entertainer, etc, basically Newton...how does it make you feel?

"I think what you, you know, tell me some things you said when you were 20 or 21 years old..." "

commentator: I want a guy studying film tape on a tuesday, etc, not filming a commercial...

"I do not disagree with that, the thing you gotta ask yourself is do you know him well enough to know is that cockyness or confidence. And there is a line there and you have to be a little bit concerned. That could be a plus, so where is the line on that, and without enoguh information I hesitate to say I do not care what was said or I do not want that guy no matter what.." "Until you get enough information as you can, don't commit."

I completly agree with what he said about Cam and Fitz. Now that he's given his opinion on the whole twisting of the words situatiion I wonder how many people are gonna say "Gaileys wrong Cams still a retard with red flags" since red flags seem to be everyones favorite word. SMH

CAM NEWTON!... NUFF SAID....

I'm afraid that is going to mean "leave him on the bench" <_<

Regarding what he said about QB - did anyone think we are going to add a late round groom QB prospect? Chan says he likes Fitz, could get us to the playoffs, but he isn’t our franchise guy because he is older. He said they want to go with fitz and add someone to be the franchise QB. Well a late round guy may be that guy. Considering Gaileys history with late round QBs/nobodies I bet that’s the route they go. Dalton or Kapernaek perhaps? Hopefully its not in the 1st two rounds though, I want instant starters.

No, exactly the opposite actually.

He says he likes Fitz, but isnt sure if he is a "Franchise" guy. Then says, "but if there is a franchise QB sitting there for the good of the organization, we gotta go with it."

If they truly think there is a Franchise QB in this draft, they HAVE to and will, pick him at #3.

Maybe-sorta-kinda guessing and hoping on a late round guy is a waste of a pick and a waste of time. Either there is someone there we LOVE so much we must pick him at #3, or stay with Fitz who he thinks can get us into the playoffs.

No, exactly the opposite actually.

He says he likes Fitz, but isnt sure if he is a "Franchise" guy. Then says, "but if there is a franchise QB sitting there for the good of the organization, we gotta go with it."

If they truly think there is a Franchise QB in this draft, they HAVE to and will, pick him at #3.

Maybe-sorta-kinda guessing and hoping on a late round guy is a waste of a pick and a waste of time. Either there is someone there we LOVE so much we must pick him at #3, or stay with Fitz who he thinks can get us into the playoffs.

Real question: is fitz signed 1 more year or 2? If just 1 year I would say the lack of contract talks speak volumes about the long term commitment. Still a ton of time - not saying it's the end all. But reading the clues, I see a qb sooner rather than later.