Need Help

Doc

In '87, Huey released Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity (and the importance of trends), it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

Hey, Paul!

to two prostitutes] Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion". In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. "In Too Deep" is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your !@#$. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like "In the Air Tonight" and, uh, "Against All Odds". Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is "Sussudio", a great, great song, a personal favorite.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to two prostitutes] Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion". In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. "In Too Deep" is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your !@#$. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like "In the Air Tonight" and, uh, "Against All Odds". Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is "Sussudio", a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Skewering Hip to be Square and Sussidio - I really have to watch this!

Sorry I found this thread so late. Here's a song and video that was stuck in my head and I finally remembered enough to locate it. Don't know why this guy didn't make it big, but he has an amazing voice. The video is so stylistic, in a simple way, and I dare you to try to take your eyes off of it. Finally, the one back-up singer (the brunette with the hoop earrings)has a smile and eyes that make me want to buy her a house. :flirt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4KQnM5ogtw

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Shoplifters of the World Unite - The Smiths

this thread is so frigging awesome....but why dear god did someone have to put rockey burnette in my head???????? now i have to pass along the pain via facebook....were the 80's really that cheesy???

Here are some more:

China - Red Rockers

Peek-A-Boo - Siouxsie and the Banshees

Ocean Size, Coming Down The Mountain - Jane's Addiction

Heaven's Trail (No Way Out), Hangin' Tough - Tesla

Talk Talk - Talk Talk

Girls - Dwight Twilley

Perfect Strangers, Knocking At Your Back Door - Deep Purple

and

Sorry I found this thread so late. Here's a song and video that was stuck in my head and I finally remembered enough to locate it. Don't know why this guy didn't make it big, but he has an amazing voice. The video is so stylistic, in a simple way, and I dare you to try to take your eyes off of it. Finally, the one back-up singer (the brunette with the hoop earrings)has a smile and eyes that make me want to buy her a house. :flirt:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z4KQnM5ogtw

Wow - that is really awesome. I was just going to play the song in the background, but you were right - I couldn't keep my eyes off it. The fact that all three girls are gorgeous might have contributed to that, though!

this thread is so frigging awesome....but why dear god did someone have to put rockey burnette in my head???????? now i have to pass along the pain via facebook....were the 80's really that cheesy???

80s were so awesome the styles and music are coming back. I never thought I'd live to see the day of people popping collars on polos again, but LO, it has arrived.

Tell me, do the kids wear loafers with no socks, too? :lol:

And glad you like the Smiths reference. They had about 20 really good songs.

Here are some more:

and

Here is an obscure Accept tune, well, maybe. Accept Kind of cheesy/sappy but I like it. I like Neon Nights, Princess of the Dawn, Breaker, and Metal Heart(with its bits of Tchaikovsky and Beethoven) to name a few more.